Start by marking “The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg and Other Stories

The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg and Other Stories

A unique collection of death, voodoo-magic and strange things.

Joseph Goldberg is the wrinkled old man you see wrapped up in a fraying scarf and dusty trilby hat, hobbling along the seafront promenade in the dead of winter. He’s grizzled, cynical, bitter, and swears like a trooper. In his defence, he didn’t lead the life he wanted, and his closet is full of skeleton

Published March 3rd 2018 by Darkside Fiction

Be the first to ask a question about The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg and Other Stories

Start your review of The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg and Other Stories
Ronald Keeler
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg by Oliver Franks is the lead story of four short stories presented in 106 pages. The author mentions in a message to the reader that he is starting out as a writer and has several projects planned for 2018. What follows is a sampler.

The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg Joseph had an unremarkable life except for a couple of incidents in his youth. The two incidents caused others to think him crazy. First, he had left the church and spent all his tim
Desley (Cat fosterer)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I found this an enjoyable mix of short stories, although as is typical with short story collections, I wasn’t keen on the 4th one, I think it had potential but was too short.
Madison's Inkwell
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
My full review can be read here: http://madisonsinkwell.com/unbelievab... ...more
Diana Sue
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very strange stories, but well told. Not my usual genre, but I think this would be enjoyed by those who do have an appreciation for this type of story.
Claire Davis
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have received The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg: And Other Short Stories by Oliver Franks in exchange for an honest review. I have given this collection of short stories four out of five stars overall ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
As this is a collection of four short stories, I'm going to break them off into four sections and review them individually via headers. So, let's get started:
The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg
This first story as you can tell by the title is about the death of an old man ...more
Lori
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I grew up in a time when it was popular to sit in front of the television and watch Rod Serling's 'The Twilight Zone'. So, I smiled when I was approached to read this darkly comic collection of 4 short stories because the author sent them to me knowing that I enjoy reading a mix of paranormal, fantasy, and science fiction.

Yes, often everything is not always as it seems, especially when reading those authors who write the mix listed above.

The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg I felt was abou
Reonie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Unbelievable Death of Joseph
The first story is about an old man who dies alone on a pier and gets turned into a folk of starlings. The story is about reminiscing about a life with regrets and getting revenge in a small and unconventional way. The author captures what its like to be a flock of bird is a beautiful and surprising way.

Although there is some funny imagery, the story has a melancholic tone. And the colloquial use of language might be accurate, but it did feel like it clashed with
Caitlin Farley
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg is a collection of short stories from debut author, Oliver Franks.

In the title story, The Unbelievable Death of Joseph Goldberg, Joseph Goldberg dies and becomes a flock of starlings. Portrayed as the quintessential grumpy old man, Joseph proceeds to cause havoc in his new form while processing his incredible transformation.

The Chair introduces us to Gerald, a patient at a mental hospital who paints the beautiful woman he hears and sees without realising
Valia
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A little less than month аго, I received this e-book and it sounded interesting, plus the phrase ‘a unique collection of death, voodoo magic and strange things’ catched my attention... see more -> https://pandasbooklife.wordpress.com/...

Bulgarian review: http://lazybooklover.blogspot.bg/2018...
Anne Kinslow
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anne Kinslow.
I enjoyed reading this book of four short stories and found each story very different and all of them interesting. A great mix of humour, strange things and magic. I recommend this book it really is very entertaining.
Lola Et La Vie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is a collection of four short stories to test the waters for this new author.

These stories were weird and wonderful. The title story spoke to me the most as the setting was familiar to me. I have seen the flocks of starlings over the Old Pier at Brighton, so I had no trouble visualising that one at all.

All four of these stories are slightly odd, but strangely interesting. Although I felt the writing was a bit rough around the edges I ended up enjoying them quite a bit. Better, they left me
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I do have to admit I am a little confused. The stories flowed from one to the other, it didn’t really feel they were separated enough. I would be reading one, then suddenly in another and I was a little confused, took me awhile to catch up that it was a completely different story.

yourself transformed into a flock of starlings? – Poop on a lot of people it seems. Not going to lie I was giggling away like 5 year old at these scenes.

It would be really great to see some of these short stories fleshe
Marcus
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book containing several stories about death. They consists of one concerning the military, one concerning a dying earth and it's effects on the remaining population, one where you get to partake of an individual's nightly dreams of nightmares. The stories are really well thought out and are at the least very thought provoking. The characters are diverse and we'll developed and instead of constant in your face action, it's more of a subtle boil I gotcha situation.
Chris Wells
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you leave a review for a short collection of short stories? Well, there's good writing here, good ideas, humour and a little sadness at times too. If you haven't read much by this author as I hadn't then I think this is a good little 'taster' that hopefully will leave you wanting to read more. It did me anyway.
Over all a nice short collection of short stories, give them a go.
Tanya
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has a few stories in it which you will enjoy. One is about an old man snooze life is boring until something happens and makes his life more enjoyable. Call in love with this beautifully written stories

Manxie1954
Dec 06, 2019
Daniela
Jan 04, 2020

• Between the Shade and the Shadow
I write a unique blend of science fiction, magic realism, dark comedy and fantastical tales – what might be called ‘speculative mis-adventure’. Embracing the magic of the strange, the dangerous and the vaguely possible, my mission is to enthrall and challenge readers with darkly comic entertainment whilst telling stories with a point, even if that point isn't always immediately obvious. Otherwise, ...more

News & Interviews