Start by marking “Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine: Sorting Out the Recycling System” as Want to Read:
Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine: Sorting Out the Recycling System

Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine: Sorting Out the Recycling System

Ecosystems require balance to survive, and when that balance is compromised, disaster can befall the whole system. To keep a balance in our global ecosystem, we need to use resources efficiently, equitably, and sustainably. In both nature and economics, we observe that when a healthy distribution of resources is achieved, systems can not only function but flourish. The ...more
Published November 15th 2018 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine

Start your review of Reduce, Reuse, Reimagine: Sorting Out the Recycling System
Lizzi
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and so informative in an accessible way! I love that this book offered solutions and resources. Also, tell people who dont want to read an entire book on recycle to just read the last chapter if they want a quick sum up of important info & tips!
Fred Pisoni
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. I learned so much about recycling and the whole cycle. The author's tone is wonderful. She informs and cheers on without being preachy. And, the amount of research she did was just incredible! Wonderful!
Tracy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you know that throwing plastic bags into your recycling bin may result in them flying into the machinery at a recycling center and shutting down operations? Did you know that workers hand sort our recyclables at certain points in the waste system, so putting broken glass in your bin can cause them injuries? Did you know that the US recycles only 34% of our waste, while countries like Germany and Sweden recycle nearly double that amount? And did you know that individuals and communities have ...more
Robert Patterson
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent in-depth overview of recycling, trash and landfill issues with focus on how systems and systems don't work.

Lots of statistics, case studies etc. I was really surprised to learn of high rate of steel recycling at 92% recovered and recycled. Gives overviews on why other materials are so hard to recycling from economic, transnational and political issues.

Important message on reducing, reusing waste with resources for individuals to improve their community practices.

Still almost seems like
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Porter discusses the history of recycling without making it dry and a comparison of recycling to a forest is used at the beginning of each chapter. Just as I was becoming complacent in my recycling and probably doing a bit of wish-cycling (Porter's word for recycling things we think should be recycled but aren't actually accepted), Porter's book reminded me of the importance of only recycling what your carrier accepts. It's time consuming and costly to remove items that can't be recycled once ...more
Sue Klein
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the most concise, current and comprehensive review of the recycling industry, with suggestions, tips, and an extensive list of resources! I listened to the audio version from hoopla, checked out the hard copy from the library to help with notes, only to order the book today to pass along to my Green Team members and concerned friends. Some of our natural resources are finite, we have but one planet—I hope others will read and be inspired to take action.
Barrett Radziun
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book contains good information, and it did answer several of the questions I had about recycling. However, regarding my own recycling questions, this book mainly encouraged me to check my local recycling rules. Perhaps trivial, but I also encountered many typos throughout the book, which I find distracting. The final chapter encourages the reader to share the book with a friend or donate it to a local library if I learned anything from it, which I did. I think I’ll donate it to a library.
monicadear
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy to learn more about the history and current focus on reducing/reusing/recycling - Beth’s book is clear and concise and gives a thorough background as well as a hopeful pathway for how we move forward with this tremendously important issue ! Recycling - it works !! ...more
Anne
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, well researched and minimally boring book on recycling: how it works, the economics of it, even the psychology of recycling (my favorite chapter). For anyone at all interested in the topic of recycling or reuse it is a must read.
Glenn
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. Lots of information. Liked the fact that the author talked about they positives but also gave some of the pitfalls and problems. It certainly made me think about my own habits and behavior.
Amy
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed most of this book. It was too dense and the writing couldn’t hold my interest. I picked it up after hearing Ms Porter on Jonathan Van Ness’s podcast Getting Curious. (Excellent podcast - one of my favs) The episode made me curious enough to read the book.
Rachel
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting overview of recycling in the U.S. and how our systems (don't) work. Great tips for good recycling practices and other efforts towards sustainability.
Valerie Williams
So illuminating, important, and inspiring!!
AJ
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A macro study of the recycling world. It does make you feel a bit helpless on individual contributions, but a worthwhile and educational read nonetheless.
Christine Nicholl

• Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
  • The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and our Health—and a Vision for Change
  • Are We There Yet: Travel as a Spiritual Path
  • Murder in Belgravia (A Mayfair 100 Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Rose of Fire (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2.5)
  • En ny tid
  • Vinegar: Over 400 Various, Versatile, and Very Good Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of
  • The Shadow King
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • Hope in the Dark
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)