Start by marking “Spike Heels” as Want to Read:
Spike Heels

Spike Heels

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Comedy / 2 male, 2 femaleScenery: Interior

Pygmalion goes awry in this contemporary comedy of manners which explores sexual harassment, misplaced amour, and the possibility of a four sided love triangle. The combatants are a sexy, volatile young woman and three Back Bay types a writer, a lawyer and a fiancee in sensible shoes. The setting is Boston, the ending is happy and
Published January 19th 2011 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published June 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Spike Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spike Heels

Adrian Collins
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am not a fan of Theresa Rebeck's female characters.
Cheyanne Clarke
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this for the most part. All of the characters are totally messed up and have no idea what they want. The love triangle (or is it a love square?) was also kind of gross. I had to deduct a star for the ending... Rebeck's endings generally annoy me.

*Read for class.
Kristin
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, theatre
Simulataneously dated and also eerily relevant. Disappointed in how the sexual harassment plot gets resolved....

Plot twist: everyone is sleeping with each other and they're all terrible people (it's a theresa rebeck play)
Luwam
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Four people who don't know what they want and once they finally figure it out, they live in denial. Sounds like life!
Irene Doughty
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Realistic play with four parts
Two f two m
Cathy
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
An interesting look at relationships. Not as clever as I had hoped, though and the dialouge was a little screechy.
Kristin
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
read it or see it! very good, but i can't discuss this play with you any further until you do.
Sara Elice
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
Really fun 4 character play. Lots of solid scenes with good character monologues interspersed.
Katharine Ruegger
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very witty (occasionally screechy) dialogue. Solid four person play. It's inspiring me-I need to get ahold of some good stilettos.
Faleena Hopkins
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good play. Funny. :)
Ryan Gibson
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read it for class. Rocked my world. A good, edgy book about people who are die hard about their character.
Mary Jo
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just a lot of arguing. Did not find it to be something I'd like to direct or be in.
Chloë Kamali
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this. I loved this play SO much, even though I have no fucking clue what to entirely make of it.
Ted
Jul 01, 2014
Underwater
Aug 30, 2007
Elizabeth Mills
rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2015
May 07, 2014
Michael Buebe
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A Word on Plays: February's Play - How about that ending? 1 1 Feb 13, 2018 12:22PM
  • The Clean House
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays
  • In the Blood
  • Short Eyes: A Play
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Becky Shaw
  • Jesus Hopped the A Train
Theresa Rebeck is a playwright. She also works as a television writer. Her input went into popular shows such as Dream On, Brooklyn Bridge, L.A. Law, American Dreamer, Maximum Bob, First Wave, and Third Watch.
She also wrote and produced Canterbury’s Law, Smith, Law and Order: Criminal Intent and NYPD Blue.
Ms. Rebeck has an MFA in Playwrighting and a PhD. in Victorian Melodrama, from Brandeis Univ
More about Theresa Rebeck
“Georgie: I feel stupid.

Andrew: What are you talking about, you feel stupid? You just walked in here and insulted me for ten minutes.

Georgie: That was different. I was mad.

Andrew: You have to be mad to talk?

Georgie: No, come on—I don't know—

Andrew: I could make you mad.

Georgie: No, you couldn't. You're too nice.

Georgie: —Andrew—

Andrew: Fuck you. Come on. Fuck you.

Georgie: Yeah, fuck you too.

Georige: Fuck you.

Andrew: Fuck you.

Georgie: You look really stupid saying fuck you—

Andrew: Fuck you. Fuck you! Fuck you.

Georgie: Andrew, stop it. Cut it out. It sounds weird when you say it. You shouldn't talk like that.

Andrew: You talk like that all the time!
Georgie: I'm different. I mean, I know how to swear. You don't. It's like, fuck you. Fuck you. Or, you know, fuck you. It's just—you know. You got to know how to say it.

Andrew: Fuck you.

Georgie: Forget it. You look really stupid. You look the way I look when I try to talk like you.

Andrew: You've tried it? Really? I must have missed that day.

Georgie: Oh, fuck you.”