Start by marking “The Complete Plays, Vol. 1: 1989-1998” as Want to Read:
The Complete Plays, Vol. 1: 1989-1998

The Complete Plays, Vol. 1: 1989-1998

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
I am a woman; I am an American; I am a mother; I sometimes write for television, and I sometimes write movies; I play the piano; I knit; I rail at the universe; I am angry; I am sad; I am a comic realist, a misanthrope, and an idealist. There are many ways to categorize me and my work. But for myself, I would most like to be considered a playwright. - Theresa Rebeck, Intro ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Smith & Kraus

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Plays, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Plays, Vol. 1

Allison
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
I LOVED Spike Heels. I finished it around 5am and was so thrilled that I had a hard time going back to sleep. I had to write/yell about how funny and important and original it was. You should read it!

Sunday On the Rocks just got to me. I'm not sure why but it put me in a strange mood...strange in a good way. I'd love to see it performed or get to work on it.

Loose Knit was started because around 5am and was almost finished in one sitting. As exhilarating as Spike Heels but with the bizarre additi
Laura Deger
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Absolutely fantastic group of full plays and one acts. Theresa Rebeck is one of the most intelligent and entertaining contemporary playwrights out there, and I'm surprised there aren't more companies performing her plays. Her writing goes down like candy, it's that enjoyable. She writes wonderfully complex and hilarious characters for both men and women with interesting stories and situations. I plan on reading her other volumes asap.
Kristen
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: actors
These plays are so witty and human. Rebeck was recommended to me as an author that "gets" women. I get lost in these plays within the first 2 pages of each. Vivid characters and monologues that will hopefully help me win jobs! The only reason I don't give them 5 stars is sometimes the use of the f-bomb seems a bit excessive.
Krk5000
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite playwrights. She writes women really well.
Bryn
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
She really, really good at writing about white women. And other stuff.
Aug 18, 2010
Cody
Jan 10, 2009
Janelle
Jul 29, 2007
Theresa Rebeck is a playwright. She also works as a television writer. Her input went into popular shows such as Dream On, Brooklyn Bridge, L.A. Law, American Dreamer, Maximum Bob, First Wave, and Third Watch.
She also wrote and produced Canterbury’s Law, Smith, Law and Order: Criminal Intent and NYPD Blue.
Ms. Rebeck has an MFA in Playwrighting and a PhD. in Victorian Melodrama, from Brandeis Univ
More about Theresa Rebeck