Start by marking “Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)

Grumpy Fake Boyfriend

(Kwan Sisters #1)

I'm a pretty simple guy. When I'm not writing a science fiction novel, I'm watching a good movie or reading a book. Alone. I like my reclusive life. That is, until my only friend asks for a favor—pretend to be his baby sister's boyfriend on a couples' getaway. Her ex is going to be there and she needs me as a buffer.

I should have said no, but Naomi is bubbly, energetic,
Published May 22nd 2018 by Jackie Lau Books

Start your review of Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

There's a quote that goes "champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends." It's attributed to Francis Bacon, Tom Waits (and sometimes even Oscar Wilde) and appears in a Fall Out Boy song, but apparently used to be a popular toast back in the day (#BringBackChampagneVsRealPain2019). Regardless of the origin, I think we can all agree as to what the purpose of the quote is, which is that real is always better...

Except when it
K.J. Charles
A fun, quick contemporary fake relationship romance. Will is deeply introverted and finds people exhausting so that was a major plus point for the book right there. He's spent his life with people trying to get him out of his shell but "I fucking like my shell!" THANK YOU WILL.

One of his about three friends is Naomi's big brother, Naomi needs a fake boyfriend for a house party because her ex will be there, and the rest unfolds. I am 100% not here for the 'off limits because she's my friend's si
Wendy'sThoughts
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jackie Lau fans, Romance
3.5 Be Who You Are Stars
* * * Spoiler Free
This was a surprising treat and another reason why I love my goodreads buddies so much. Someone liked a review of this and there was this intriguing book looking back at me. The idea and twist of the normal pretend boyfriend who actually is not user friendly was the pull. It also brought other elements such as a diverse main character. With all of that extracted from the review and blurb, I was in.

The overall set up is something we all know...however t
ambsreads
ALSO FIND MY REVIEW FOR GRUMPY FAKE BOYFRIEND HERE

Grumpy Fake Boyfriend may be the shortest book I have read this year. I was really expecting this book to be something it wasn’t. I definitely enjoyed it but it really did fall short in certain things. This book was fluffy and it did lack an overall depth that I felt would have elevated this story. The biggest failure of this story was the immaturity of characters who are in their late 20’s and 30’s and the conclusion was incredibly weak. I feel
namericanwordcat
I pre ordered this book because it looked so good with its pretend relationship and opposites attract themes. And it was so good. I read it the day it came out.

Well written, charming, and compact character driven romance. We get and Asian Canadian heroine who is sexually confident and introvert hero who agrees to be her fake boyfriend.

Beyond the fun of the troupes, the careful thinking about how good relationships work and making room for differences is really wonderful.

So a lovely time spendi
Geri Reads
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A weekend—a long weekend—with several people I don’t know in a freaking beach house while pretending to be someone’s boyfriend is pretty much the worst thing I could imagine.

Grumpy Fake Boyfriend is exactly what I expected—a sweet, low-angst romance with cute banter, and fun, relatable characters.

Will Stafford is the aforementioned grumpy, fake boyfriend who was asked by a dear friend of his to pretend to be his sister’s fake boyfriend for the weekend. Will is many things but he is
Sam (AMNReader)
This read a bit like erotic, but without being erotic. By that I meant to say that it's a fairly shallow, fluffy kind of book, where the hero is a bit of a standout because he's different in ways than every other hero. He's...dun dun dun...a smart, dorky introvert. And that's what caused the tension.

These characters didn't come across as late 20s, or 30s, or whatever they were (I think the latter). And the narrative style was a bit like this (after reading the parts listed below):
"So I told her
Taryn
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Grumpy Fake Boyfriend has been really hyped up on my twitter timeline for the past month or so before release. It quickly worked its way up into my anticipated releases, which is why I read it almost immediately after it came out. For the most part I enjoyed this story, but there were a few little things that irked me.

Firstly, these characters are in their late 20s-30s but they read like teenagers. I had to constantly remind myself that they were 10-20 years older than the way they read,
M
Ahhhhhh, this was such a delight. It was everything I wanted.

-Quick read. Like, really, very uncomplicated plot that goes with lovely and easy on the eyes writing.
-Fun stuff. Literally got me smiling and grinning cos wow these people were chilling and very much enjoying themselves.
-Sex scenes are frequent but they were very easy on my heart and this ace approves.
-The Donut Scenes will either make you CACKLE or go "aw!!!" There's NO inbetween.
-Will, the hero, is as grumpy as the title says. He's
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

That title alone hooked me. And then I read the blurb and got doubly excited!! Can't wait to read this!

***ARC courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review***
Maria Rose
Grumpy Fake Boyfriend by Jackie Lau is a sexy and fun romantic comedy with a best friend’s sibling trope, a fake relationship, and a weekend away that turns into something more.

Will Stafford is an introvert. A science fiction writer who prefers a quiet night in to the party scene, he’s not keen on social gatherings, even finding his family, whom he gets along with well, agreeable in small doses. When his best friend Jeremy Kwan, the one guy he trusts to give him honest feedback on his manuscript
G.
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh. While I enjoyed the extent to which the hero was an introvert, the story itself I found to be flat. The writing just wasn't there for me. The heroine didn't make a whole lot sense to me either. Yep, those two stars are kind of stretching it.
Lexie
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this in one night.

Three made me pre-order this on a whim (and it truly was a whim - I found it by accident while looking for a different book):

1) the cover, the model is my kind of eye candy
2) The summary - grumpy sci-fi writer, interracial romance, fake relationship, older brother's best friend...seriously that's all catnip to me
3) it sounded FUN and lighthearted and an entertaining contemporary read

On all three counts it did not fail - it was light and fluffy and fast-paced. While there w
Addie H
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amazon Bargain Bin / BookBub Ebook Bargain

(Tropes: Fake Relationship, Enemies to Lovers (ish), Starched Hero gets Unstarched

Scenario: Bubbly Naomi is going to a weekend house party, where her ex-boyfriend (and new girlfriend) will be. She doesn’t want to go stag so she gets her brother’s lone-wolf friend, Will, to come along and pose as her new boyfriend. While seemingly opposite as two snowflakes, they might have more in common than they think.

This book is written from 1st POV, and switches bet
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
KJ Charles called this "one of the great titles of our times" 😂 and I have decided to do her bidding a la this post: http://kjcharleswriter.com/2019/12/17... Contemporary het romance is not my thing, but I ended up rooting for these two. Bonus points for being charmingly canadian af.
Katie
This is very, very cute! The introvert stuff is VERY well done. I didn't QUITE buy the conflict at the end, but it was dealt with pretty quickly, so I appreciated that.

And it was one of those contemporaries where these felt like people who actually exist in real life.
nick
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, contemporary
2.5/5

I have a hard time enjoying a book when the writing is more telling instead of showing, so I wasn't particularly invested in this book. I also felt like the pacing was a bit off with the romance. Also, the guy wasn't really all that grumpy? Not sure I'll continue the series atm.
Shiloh
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
Lots of fun. I didn't think the guy was all THAT grumpy... but then again, half the time I don't wanna be around people either!!!
Melanie
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-kindle, romance
Grumpy Fake Boyfriend was a fantastic read featuring an amazing romance and an extremely relatable love interest.

Will lives a fairly simple life and he prefers it that way. When he’s not writing the next book in his sci-fi series, he’s enjoying time alone at home. But when his best friend asks for a favor, pretend to be his younger sister’s boyfriend on a couples’ weekend, he’s hard-pressed to refuse. With Naomi’s ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend on the trip, Naomi needs someone to show every
Jess
I quite liked the setup for this, and the pretty good depiction of introversion. The romance itself was fine, it never fully clicked with me, possibly because it edged slightly into public embarrassment for me at times, but on the whole it was charming. Definitely going to check out the next book. I really appreciated how regular people this book felt. Don't always get that in romance!
Notorious Book Tease
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a combination of two awesome tropes: fake boyfriend and brother's best friend. These happen to be two of my favorites so it worked out well for me. It's a quick, easy read. Low angst, no cheating or other woman/man drama, and some laugh out loud moments. And of course a happily every after. Just more pluses for me!

Will is a sci-fi author who is reclusive (see anti-social). He has a couple of "real life" friends, one of which is his beta reader and best friend from college. He has decided th
natalie
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely delightful book! Grumpy Fake Boyfriend was such a fun read!

Fake dating is a trope i really love especially when it combines fake dating your best friend's sister/brother's best friend! Will was truly a grumpy introvert and the opposite of Naomi and they really did complement each other. Lines like this made me cackle and smile so much: "God, what’s happening to me? I’m having fun with people I hardly know,"

I especially loved how Naomi doesn't try to make Will more outgoing.
Amanda
Cute, trope-y book. Short and fluffy. Just what I needed right now.
Grace
This was cute! I never really got invested in the romance or the characters - I think it was a little fast and the writing wasn’t quite there for me - but it was fun enough and an easy read. I agree with Jess that there was some secondhand embarrassment that probably distracted a bit from my enjoyment of the romance as well.
Anna
Jul 12, 2018 added it
This was a low-angst fun read. It did take me a little bit to get into, mainly because I don't read a lot of books in first person present tense that often, but once I got into the swing of it, I fell for the characters.

Will is grumpy, but actually quite nice, too. He's an introvert writer who has to deal with his family and his former girlfriends all wanting to change him into an outgoing party person. I'd be grumpy too.

Naomi is sweet and bubbly, and is getting over her ex--which she does quite
Ellie
May 17, 2018 added it
DNF at 40%
I wanted to like this book so much but I just couldn't get past the writing - 1st person present tense POV didn't work for me. It was annoying and distracting and I couldn't get into the story.
Megan
So Jackie Lau hit marketing gold for a particular romance niche when she titled this. It succinctly advertises the trope and the tone of the project; if you're familiar with fake dating / fake engagement as a plot vehicle, then you're already starting to imagine what it means for Grumpy to be roped into it, and where the humor and the emotional arc might go. PERFECTION. Also, obviously, my catnip: he's GRUMPY (not a jerk and not, oh let's say cocky, but just introverted and GRUMPY) and there's F ...more
Suzanne
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Besides having the best title ever, Grumpy Fake Boyfriend is a lot of fun to read and totally validating for introverts like me. I don't usually insert myself into a book, but I am totally the hero, Will. He's a sci-fi writer and needs a few hours to himself each day to stay happy. He's also convinced he's never going to find a partner who doesn't want to change him. Naomi, his best friend's little sister, is used to this from her sister (who gets a book next!), and they're basically the cutest ...more
Racheal
This was silly as shit and the fluffiest of fluff. But it was so much fun!! I gobbled it up with a huge smile on my face the whole way. I love the characters so much! A grumpy character that's not an asshole! A female lead that's also likable and believably enjoys his grumpiness! Lots of sexual attraction and aww moments.

All that AND a fake relationship setup that's actually done well and doesn't wear out its welcome! A finite, predetermined amount of time that the ruse will last, believable ch
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tikka Chance on Me
  • A Cowboy to Remember (Cowboys of California #1)
  • Pink Slip (The Spies Who Loved Her, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • Pretending He's Mine (Love on Cue, #2)
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1)
  • Wrapped (Fit Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • He's Come Undone: A Romance Anthology
  • Wanna Bet? (Dirty British Romance, #2)
  • Tiny House, Big Love (Love Unscripted #2)
Jackie Lau decided she wanted to be a writer when she was in grade two, sometime between writing “The Heart That Got Lost” and “The Land of Shapes.” She later studied engineering and worked as a geophysicist before turning to writing romance novels.

Jackie lives in Toronto with her husband, and despite living in Canada her whole life, she hates winter. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking, hi

Kwan Sisters (2 books)
  • Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)