Start by marking “Killer T” as Want to Read:
Killer T

Killer T

Our world is about to change in ways we can barely imagine. KILLER T is a novel about growing up in that world.

Harry and Charlie are teenagers whose lives are shaped by a society that's shifting around them. He is a lonely Brit in his first term at a Las Vegas high school. She is an unlikely friend, who gets accused of mixing a batch of explosives that blew up a football
Published September 6th 2018 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Killer T, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer T

Jenniely
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
It’s 2018. Why are women still being written like this? The character is 13, why are you talking about her sweaty chunky legs and her shirt turning see through so we can see her bra?! Why is she having sex with an ‘ugly’ guy just because? Why is the description of one of the characters that she had brown hair and cleavage?! That’s not how you describe someone! My gosh.

Why are we accepting this as okay?!

I did a thread to my thoughts about this with images here:

Alexis
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was drawn into reading this book by the cover, and the description of a dystopian future with crazy gene splicing and a deadly virus. This has taught me that I should read the blurb a bit more carefully in future! The book is actually much more of a teen romance and coming of age story than it is a cool dystopian sci-fi thriller, though I guess it is a little of both.

The book centres around Harry and Charlie, and key events in their lives over a number of their formative years. It jumps forwar
Nic Zimmermann
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent coming of age young adult novel. Killer T is set in a futuristic Las Vegas. Harry and Charlie are smart young teens growing up in a world where gene editing and man made viruses threaten life as we know it. A well realised version of the future forecasting the impact of the modern revolutions of infotech and biotech. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Four stars.
julianne
disappointing, shallow characters, I struggle to find anything positive to say about this.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for a copy in exchange for an honest unbiased review.
Liz Barnsley
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Review to follow.
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

This book makes me feel so angry. This book over sexualises a thirteen year old girl and keeps referring to her appearance in a relatively negative way. This is aimed at teenagers, why is this still the way that women are treated in YA novels?? Why are some girls just described as "having cleavage"? That is not a description. Ugh, this book was just terrible.
Trish
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was difficult to put down once I got into it. Muchamore poses an interesting question : "What would happen if gene editing technology became common place and could be undertaken anywhere by anyone?" The answer is frightening. Fast paced and well researched, I really enjoyed this book and I will be recommending it to all my students.
Lena
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, own-e-copy
Killer T was majorly underwhelming. I was expecting to go in for an exciting sci-fi thriller, and even though the second half of the book was alright, the first two parts had certain passages that made me more-than-slightly uncomfortable (more on that in a sec). The ending felt random. All in all, it wasn't great. The characters were underdeveloped, from time to time I got an inkling that the author had made research on teenager interactions through low budget teenage dramas, and the sci-fi aspe ...more
Alyssa Grace
It took me a long time to figure out what was missing from Killer T.

I spent nearly a week reading it, and all the while I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind telling me something was off. I didn't know what to make of a novel that only got weirder and crazier with every chapter. There were parts at which I was tempted to DNF, and parts at which I thought this might be a solid 4-star read. What was going on here?

Then yesterday it hit me. After all that searching, my biggest gripe with K
Sue
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pa
This book follows the lives and trials of two teenagers - Harry and Charlie. Harry has just moved to Las Vegas from the UK, is nicknamed Harry Potter and comes from a fairly privileged background, whilst Charlie is a girl living in a dirty trailer with a psychotic older sister and a brain damaged younger brother, and has already been in trouble with the law. Not a very likely basis for friendship but they do have some things in common and are both intelligent, determined and articulate.

The story
legenbooksdary
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book seems like it's been split into parts and each one has its own twists and turns in events. Usually, for previous books that I've read for Dystopian, the disease has already spread for years and the story only began when they're in survival mode. Then, it's up to them to decide how they continue on with their lives.

This story started right from the very beginning when they're still in their early teens and they've really gone through a lot, especially Charlie. Slowly, years go by and p
Lily
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me so, so long to get into this. For a start, it started years before the actual plot came together and had, I think, about four or five time skips? I lost count by the end of the book. It makes sense when you look at it as a whole and realise that it's showing the rise of gene editing, but most of the time while I was reading it, I was bored. It would have been better if it had at least been started after Charlie got out of prison, I think.

I liked Charlie quite a bit, but I honestly co
Laren
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Robert Muchamore's work, and I was super excited to get my hands on a proof copy of Killer T from work!
I loved the premise and enjoyed the way the story played out, the multiple time skips were unexpected but I wasn't opposed to them once I got used to the rapid time jumps.
Like with a lot of Muchamore's main characters, I liked them without actually 'liking' them, he's really very good at writing flawed, annoying characters you still kind of care about haha :)

Rating 3 and a 1
Melissa
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Slightly disappointing - some of the characters seemed very 2D
Lou
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Muchamore always creates intense and extraordinary stories that truly set him apart from the competition, and 'Killer T' is no exception. This is no easy feat in the publishing world, where original ideas now seem to be seriously lacking. Essentially, the story is about genetic manipulation that targets and destroys genes that could potentially cause the person harm in the future. When the criminal underworld gets in on the act all hell breaks loose. Utilising the synthetic virus known as ...more
Victoria Robinson
At the beginning of the novel Harry is 14 and Charlie is 13, they meet because Harry is an aspiring journalist and one of his leads took him to Charlie, from there they formed an unlikely friendship.

I will be very honest, I almost stopped reading during the first "part", reading about a grown man making inappropriate comments to a 13 year old girl and licking her face is disgusting and I felt very uncomfortable, and again when the same grown man and an accomplice dragged Harry into a supply roo
Lucy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok

Thank you to Hot key Books for providing me with a proof copy at YALC 2018 in exchange for my honest review.

Now I want to start this off by saying I LOVE Robert Muchamores CHERUB series but this one didn't quite hit the mark for me.

The novel starts with Charlie and Harry being 13 and 14 respectively and meeting for the first time after a school bombing. This was really interesting to see Harry, an amateur wannabe photojournalist and Charlie, a trailer park teen with a hard home life and
Aoife
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2, nyp, september, hot-key
Muchamore can write action.There's no doubt about that. And he knows how to choose a compelling plot; the idea of back street gene enhancers holding the world to ransom is very intriguing and throws up a lot of questions around morality and ethics. Unfortunately, the execution leaves something to be desired in this case.

The first time skip kind of makes sense; nothing much was going to happen in the interim anyway. The second surprised me. After that they were just jarring. I couldn't connect to
Katy Noyes
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'What if' speculation: if biological warfare should happen. Frightening look at a world we can almost touch...

He's given us 'what if' children could infiltrate as spies, and 'what if' women had fought in World War Two. Now Muchamore has turned his attention to the near future and 'what if' germ warfare should ravage us, 'what if' gene editing should become a common and established practice.

In a world in which both of these slowly start to infiltrate into everyday lives, we meet Harry and Charli
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars

Many thanks to Allen and Unwin for providing me with this copy of Killer T in exchange for an honest review.

Harry wants to be an investigative journalist and he and Charlie meet in chance circumstances when Harry is chasing a story.  Charlie is shipped off to juvenile detention shortly after but they remain good friends.  As their lives progress, so does scientific technology in society and illegal gene modifying becomes more commonplace.  Killer T is the story of Harry an
Alaina
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating :: 3.75/5

I expected nothing less than 'thrilling' and 'exhilarating' from such an acclaimed author who's books I grew up reading and enjoying and that is exactly what I got. Similar to CHERUB but not quite, similar to Henderson's Boys but not quite, Killer T is its own story in its unique plot and style, which in my opinion was written in a more mature and sophisticated way.

Right from the get-go we are thrown into a chaotic scene of an explosion aimed at a student, and the calami
Theediscerning
Hmmm… I'd never taken to Muchamore, trying one Cherub from the middle of the franchise's span and hating it, but this is certainly better. It's again a teen read, with a near-future Las Vegas the focus, as mankind develops new viral diseases, genetically modified creatures – and eventually human biological alteration, with technology available that's both cheap and powerful enough for almost anyone to have a go. But that's just context for most of the book, as we see our hero get big in the worl ...more
TheCosyDragon
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

Harry and Charlie might as well come from different sides of the world. Harry’s a displaced well-off European in the USA while Charlie’s a rock bottom USA native with a history of blowing things up. Harry has a fascination with the Media his whole life, and in Charlie he sees an opportunity to get a fabulous story…

Charlie and Harry form a symbios
Amy Rush Da Silva
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me a very long time to get into the story, firstly. The story itself starts years before the actual plot kicks in and this in itself made it a very slow burner and I did find myself getting bored and willing for something exciting to happen. The action doesn't actually kick off until you are over halfway through and by then I was screaming for some excitement. Mind you, once the plot kicked in I was ever so slightly hooked.

There are a few time skips throughout Killer T starting from when
yorkshirebooknerd
Killer T is a glimpse into a dystopian future where DNA and genetics can be modified and killer diseases can be created by anyone with a bit of cash and some scientific know how.

This story was unique and gave a scary view on what the future could be like if gene editing was an everyday occurrence.
I do think the synopsis of this book is a little misleading though. Part of it reads “Killer T is a synthetic virus with a ninety per-cent mortality rate, and the terrorists who created it want a billio
Sean O’Sullivan
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Killer T is the first novel I’ve read by Robert Muchamore, but after finishing his latest piece I will need to read another before making my mind up about how much I like him as a writer. Set in the not too distant future, the story closely follows Harry and Charlie and their interleaving lives following a bomb explosion in high school. Muchamore uses an interesting narrative structure of breaking up segments of their story across multiple parts; each part separated by years of their time togeth ...more
Marjorie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a near future Science Fiction novel that I found to have a good dollop of the dystopian about it. It has a little bit everything: plague, zombies, mutants, gangsters and good old societal breakdown. Doesn't sound exactly a laugh a minute does it? However, told by Harry and Charlie there is a wit to the narration that sucks you in to their rapidly dissolving world.

From an explosion at a High School, through the world of illegal genetic modifications via gene warfare I could not help but
Vivienne
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for this advance copy. The cover art is very appealing.

I feel this near-future dystopian novel is going to be a big hit with its target YA audience and also have appeal to those older readers that enjoy this genre. The concept of genetic modification and deadly, designer viruses is all too plausible.

Given this fascinating premise I am surprised that Muchamore didn’t present this as a trilogy that would have allowed deeper exploration of its social and po
Nikki
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Killer T is definitely not the book I thought it would be, but I really enjoyed it. In many ways, the virus plays background to the story of Harry and Charlie, which is actually a really interesting story of two unusual kids. Very mild spoilers ahead.

My heart went out in particular to Charlie, but I loved her tenacity and her brains. Her frustration at her life was palpable and really well written. Also her loyalty to Ed was awesome.

I enjoyed reading Harry’s story but I did get frustrated at h
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A student photographer and trailer trash scientist become unlikely friends, while a synthetic virus has wiped out millions and gene enhancement therapy is having its own negative effects. There's a real, jarring logic to the dystopian world in Killer T which makes it hit home. It feels real, tangible, as though we're only a few steps away from a gene-modding disaster; and the book explores those steps too, with large time jumps. This story gave me Charlie Brooker vibes and is ripe for its own Ne ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Muchamore was born in Islington, London in 1972. He still lives there, and worked as a private investigator up until 2005 and the critically-accepted release of Maximum Security.

The Hunger Games phenomenon is part of the huge YA / Children's book explosion that has grown, thanks to the British Rat pack of YA authors, Anthony Horowitz, Robert Muchamore, Joe Craig and Charlie Higson. We owe