Start by marking “Introducing Media Studies” as Want to Read:
Introducing Media Studies

Introducing Media Studies

(Graphic Guides)

'Introducing Media Studies' explores the complex relationship between the media, ideology, knowledge and power. It provides a scintillating tour of media history and presents a coherent view of the media industry, media theory and methods in research.
Paperback, Third Edition, 176 pages
Published April 24th 2002 by Totem Books (first published June 26th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Media Studies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Media Studies

Josh
Jan 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Oddly enough, as I'm WAY into Media Studies, this was the first book of the Introducing Series that really let me down.

The actual media and communications theories were sort of passed over so the author could wax conspiratorial and get kind of racist. A dozen pages or so are spent explaining how Hollywood films exist primarily to reinforce the ideology of American foreign policy. The analysis of news and news media is misrepretational of journalistic technique and theory, and throughout the whol
Golita
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
این کتاب توسط نشر شیرازه چاپ شده. اگه کسی بخواد در زمینه جامعه شناسی، مطالعات مردم شناسی، مطالعان فرهنگی و مطالعات رسانه از اول شروع کنه؛ کتاب مناسبی برای شروعه.
Sarah Evans
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had read another book in this series and found it an insightful overview of a particular field of study. This one was more fractured in structure and less helpful, going more for flash than substance. Unfortunately my library only has this older edition, so I'm hoping the revised edition is more useful for scholars.
Joanna
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990s, poplore
I read an edition of this that was totally out of date. Like, "We wonder what cyberspace will do with media studies" out of date. Also it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. And I don't know anything about media studies, I thought. But maybe I am a media studies ~genuis~ haha.
Ian
Dec 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor

Poor and very dated (written around 1999, it appears).
While there were some interesting aspects the bulk of the book lacks insight. The authors also appear to have several axes to grind (particularly with the BBC and its employees. The attempts at humour are weak, and it seems hypocritical that there is a 'character' used as a proxy for the reader who complains about lack of representation for women, black people, etc. when the authors are both men literally putting words into her mouth.
Joanna Abillama
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is 20 years old and it shows. This was not apparent as it was reprinted but nothing was updated.
Michael P.
Some subjects defy simple summing-up, so perhaps it is the subject that makes this book seem less that I want it to be. Because this field is relatively new, it does not have a developed narrative to build the book around. Because new media changes the way we view all media, previous paradigms soon seem dated. Because media is approached different ways in different places and media providers view it differently than media consumers, priorities for “understanding media,” the book’s title, can als ...more
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
A fun read--these usually are. Surprised that there was no mention of noam chomsky; the book came from a british point of view which meant things were a little different; wonderful example of reading independence day (the movie)--also a great overview of communication/mass media/media studies and theories. No independent media centers or any look at critiques coming from the zapatistas which made me a little sad--then again, it was published in 2000 so the seattle protests in 99 may not have eve ...more
Michael P.
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does what it sets out to do. I don't love it, but then it is pretty theoretical. It does not work from the artifacts up, which I find a more convincing approach.
Vikas Datta
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful guide to the art and science of information and its dissemination....
Sandra Clark
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is great but is out of date. I see there is a 2010 edition, though.

In general I love each of these Introducing... books.
Vinka Maharani
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Hmmm, learning in fun way...
Cecilia
May 04, 2007
Cole
Oct 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Ziauddin Sardar has written or edited 45 books over a period of 30 years, many with his long-time co-author Merryl Wyn Davies. Recent titles include Balti Britain: a Journey Through the British Asian Experience (Granta, 2008); and How Do You Know: Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations (Pluto, 2006). The first volume of his memoirs is Desperately Seeking Paradise: Journey ...more

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners