Start by marking “I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers” as Want to Read:
I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers

I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Meet the faces and voices behind the conversations around immigration. These portraits and stories of teenagers who are recent immigrants to the US from all over the world show the diversity, beauty, and potential of the people who now call the United States home.

Sixty full-page portraits of students at Oakland International High School, photographed by award-winning photo
Published August 21st 2018 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers
Amy Layton
This photography series is one of the best that I've seen.  Highlighting immigrant teenagers from a multitude of different countries, each teen must answer the same question: what is home to you?  In highlighting their personalities via photography, their  names, their home country, and their hobbies, this book evidences something that we should all know: not every immigrant is the same, and not every immigrant even wants to remain in the United States.

One of the things that I appreciated the
Faith Cushing
I love the idea of this book! I do feel the title is a little strange given that many of the teens seemed to see their county of birth as their true home. Still, it was filled with many heartfelt stories of love, loss and finding where they belong in the world.
Sleepless Dreamer
Read on the Trans-Siberian railway

Briefly, the photography was beautiful but the texts were disappointing. They were almost repetitive which is insane as the story of each and every one of those students is fascinating.

I found it interesting that the students seems to see their former countries in a positive light. When working with refugees, I felt that they loved their counties but not the current version of them. They'd speak about the nature but would never say anything about wishing they
Hollowspine
A quick read that is somewhat reminiscent of Humans of NY, photos of young immigrants alongside short conversations with them on what they think of as home. A good conversation starter for students, especially with the title, "I am Home" and how many of the young people didn't view the U.S. as home, what expectation does the title give readers? Are the young people themselves 'home,' rather than a physical place?

Each story does shine a light on the different experiences of young people immigrati
Darla
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 3.5 stars. I give the photos 5 stars, but the content was lacking. Many did not specify why they came here, yet more than 65% are undocumented or unaccompanied. There are definitely untold stories there. This book does fulfill its title as each student does specify their definition of home. Unfortunately many would rather not be here in the states or are very critical about the city of Oakland. Would be interesting to do a followup on these students in 5-10 years to see if they h ...more
Senthil Kumaran
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Memorable book. It covers the stories of teenagers various different parts of the world like Keren, Eritrea, San Salvador, Huehuetenango, and lots of places around the world, who are now studying in Oakland International High School, and share what they think, when they think of "Home".
Book does a very good job of portraying the diversity that exists in OIHS.
Silani Luengo
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I got more insight on how immigrants feel about living in a new country and their own home. It was interesting how some of the kids liked their home better and others liked living in the US better. It was also helpful to see the portraits because the author could visualize the voice of the narrator. The portraits have the kids a little more humanity.
Pernia Hassan
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In very simple photos with white backdrops and sparse language this book explores the idea of what is home.

I plan on using this as a mentor text next year with students as we discuss what is home, the homes we have left behind as immigrants, what we imagine happened to those places as well as our new homes in the United States.
Cathy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great photography and touching stories. I would have like the stories to go deeper.
Beth Honeycutt
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing to think about what is “home” especially since we are confined to our houses. Cool kids!
Chloe S

• The Black God's Drums
  • 82년생 김지영
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Vol. 8
  • Optic Nerve
  • Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1)
  • A Patchwork of Clues (Queen Bees Quilt Shop #1)
  • The Body in the Attic (A Jazzi Zanders Mystery #1)
  • Honey-Baked Homicide (Down South Café Mystery, #3)
  • Yes, Chef
  • Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1)
  • Southern Sass and Killer Cravings (Marygene Brown Mystery, #1)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • Three to Get Lei'd (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #3)
  • Bring Your Own Poison (Trailer Park Mystery, #4)
  • A Crafter Knits a Clue (A Handcrafted Mystery #1)
  • よつばと! 14 (Yotsuba&!, #14)
  • A Killer Closet: A Mystery (Irene's Closet Book 1)