Start by marking “To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)

To Make Monsters Out of Girls

(things that h(a)unt #1)

"What happens when the man of your dreams turns out to be a nightmare with sharp teeth and claws?"

Winner of the 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Poetry, amanda lovelace presents her new illustrated duology, “things that h(a)unt.” In this first installment, to make monsters out of girls, lovelace explores the memory of being in an abusive relationship. She poses the ete
Published September 18th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about To Make Monsters Out of Girls, please sign up.
Sydney | sydneys.books Yes! The second one is going to be released in 2019.
Briony Doyle It'll be released in Fall 2019, according to her page.

Start your review of To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
Dannii Elle
First Read: November 2018, Rating: 5/5 stars
Second Read: March 2020, Rating: 4/5 stars

"if you’re looking for your perfect victim, then you might as well set down your lanterns. you won’t be able to find her here. i’m the fairy tale everyone forgot about because the lesson wasn’t pure or hopeful enough. in this one, there are plenty of times when red becomes a little bit wolf after the beast comes for her with his snapping jaw too hard, too often."

This is the third of Amanda Lovelace's anthologie
Cyrus Parker
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read this when Amanda published it on Wattpad a couple of years ago as a thank you to her readers for supporting her debut, the princess saves herself in this one, and even then, I knew this was something special. Now, it has been revised, expanded upon, and given a new life with accompanying artwork, and I'm so very excited to see it put back out in the world. This is definitely a contender for my personal favorite Amanda Lovelace book, and I can't wait to see how she follows it up!
✨ A ✨
couldn’t stand
being a monster
all by
himself.

- & yet that weight grows heavier still.

This collection of poems is about being in a relationship with someone you know is bad for you and realising you deserve better and finding that someone who will help you grow. These poems were all so beautiful.

The third part of poetry in this book is called sun-heart, it is about Amanda's spouse Cyrus Parker who is the author of DROPKICKromance. I'm so
Gelisvb
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: october-tbr
Amanda, please, stop milking the dead cow! This is the third book and I am starting to feel bad for your husband.
Can you please start talking about how the princess saved herself and moved on for good? Because it does feel like the princess keeps talking about self awareness but made the new prince do all the heavy lifting while she thinks about her ex.
Dear girl, please stop waiting for men to make you happy and change therapist.
By this point I would be interested more in your grocery shopping t
Mariah
"i’m the fairy tale everyone forgot about because the lesson wasn’t pure or hopeful enough. in this one, there are plenty of times when red becomes a little bit wolf after the beast comes for her with his snapping jaw too hard, too often."

Not the best I’ve read from lovelace, but still a solid collection with an interesting concept and beautiful illustrations.
Ashley Daviau
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poetry is always either a huge hit or a huge miss for me. This collection was a huge hit to the heart for me. I instantly fell in love with Lovelace’s style and I’m already itching to read more of her work! This was such a mindblowingly beautiful collection of poetry, this definitely won’t be the last time I read it. The illustrations were absolutely stunning as well and added such a special touch to this collection of stunning poems. I’m going to read this over and over and over again and I kno ...more
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ACTUAL RATING: 4.5 STARS

If you’re going through a break up or have been through one, you must read this collection of poetry. This collection has the power to help people heal from the wounds others have caused, and it also can nudge others to stand up for themselves when they are treated wrongly.

I’m so proud of Amanda for speaking out about her past and her relationships, and I know it will help people feel seen in ways they have never felt before.
Chelsea
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel weird rating a book of personal poetry because I feel like I’m 3 starring this girl’s love life...

But I didn’t connect to this collection as much as her others, though I still tabbed and bookmarked a few stellar poems.
lucie
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english, 2018
I loved the illustrations and the ending but overall was the collection average.
Antonia
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
"either take everything i have or drop it all & walk away. both are no longer an option i'm allowing. you see, it's not exactly in this girl's nature to be torn in two."

2,5 stars.
I feel pretty horrible for rating a poetry book about an abusive relationship less than 3 stars but these just didn't touch me at all. I liked maybe 3 of the 150 poems and that's just not enough for me. Just not my cup of tea.
Emma
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection had its ups and downs in my opinion, but overall it was a nice read. In the poems included Amanda Lovelace explores her abusive relationship and talks about the person who really hurt her in the past, her abuser. I think this collection was kind of therapeutic for her and really a way to let go of this man.
Sabrina
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
“There is at least one good deed that i can attribute to you. It was only after you left me stranded & i found myself still breathing that i knew i could withstand everything that came after you”

I love Amanda Lovelace poems.
Is like reading a lifetime story of someone in only a couple of pages.

I’ve read “Women are some kind of magic” series and really enjoyed it. So when I found this new collection of her’s I new I had to read it. And I don’t regret it.
Rian *fire and books*
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pain, the agony, they’re all there, on each page, ready to be read, by the right person.

You.

Read when you’re ready to move on. Read when you’re ready to accept you’re toxic too. Read when you need to know you’re not alone.

Thank you again Amanda.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
2.75/5 stars ⭐⭐.75 (rounded up to a 3)

"...even lucifer himself wore a pair of wings on his shoulder blades, but remember, dear one- it wasn't long before he let the straps slip down & everyone found out he was never who he was always pretending to be.
-fool me once, twice, thrice."

Not bad! I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, but there were only a few poems that stood out to me!

Mortisha Cassavetes
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This book reminded me of a person that I know and how she felt and dealt with a man she was in an unhealthy relationship with. There is no way to rate or judge someone's life and what they went through but I was glad I got to read the emotions that went into the words in this book. This book is a poetry book about growing past an unhealthy relationship and moving on, finding yourself again. I highly recommend this book to everyone. You may not be in this situation but you will know someone who e ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good to be true!

My absolute Amanda Lovelace favorite!

I totally love this one much much more than I ever should!
Not fair to compare but I thought there wouldn't be a book by Amanda Lovelace that would be better than her 'The Princess Saves Herself In This One'. But...how wrong I was!
This one includes lots of trigger warning at the beginning of the book but it wasn't that traumatic to read. All I felt while reading the whole book was love, love, love, acceptance and hope.
Yes, there were lines a
Sleepless Dreamer
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's something so nice and dependable about Amanda Lovelace. You pick up a book of hers and you know what it's going to be like. It's not for everyone but it's definitely for me. I like spending time with her, I like hearing about her heartbreaks and sorrows, how she is growing and still, so deeply within her brokenness.

And I read this book when I could have been studying for the math exam I have in two weeks (Jesus, why does this course have so much prior knowledge required, why don't unive
Amy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Are you my antidote or my poison?

😬

Lapis cloud lullabies

😬😬

When he kisses me I can taste all the midnights he doesn’t try to hide.

😬😬😬

Oh, boy. Before I say anything else, I should clarify that when I say this collection of poems is terrible, I am in no way implying that the author or her experiences are invalid. She was with a monstrous boyfriend who poisoned her mind, she found empowerment through poetry, and she eventually blossomed in a healthy relationship. That's awesome. I am not mocking her
Arini
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i feel terrible giving this a low rating. while i understand and can sympathize with "this girl" in this book, i also can't help but feel angry and irritated at her for sticking to "this man" long enough until she thinks she's "the monster" and the one to blame instead.

no man is worth the bruises he put emotionally and/or physically on you. she did get out of this abusive relationship and heal eventually. so maybe that's all that matters.
Jelena Milenković
sometimes
no closure
tells us
more than
the closure
ever
could.
- some people were never worth your words.

I can relate
Norah Una Sumner
description

I really enjoyed this poetry book. This is my second Amanda Lovelace book and despite the fact that I liked both, I definitely wish Amanda would maybe take upon some other themes in their future books, I feel like the topic they are usually writing about (which is completely valid, it's their experience) might get a bit repetitive after a while. The illustrations are GORGEOUS and contributed so much to the book itself.

You can read this review on BookishFever.
Robin Bonne
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful and moving poem. 5/5
bookreaderinluv but she's tired too
Aaryn Flott
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I poetic evocation of a woman escaping an abusive relationship, finding love again, and most of all finding herself.
Erika Sarutobi

nor
searching
for
one.

Anyways, this wasn't overall really for me. I love this modern poem format but what I love about is the focus on self love or care. There were some nice poems there and some self love in the end but looking at it as a whole with the abusive relationship lense ruins it for me since I value self-love and self-worth a lot.

These are the few that I liked:

"the monster
made himself
another monster
because he
couldn’
Ekene
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
9/24/18:
So I reread the collection and took my time with it, finding that I enjoy it more than I did the first time around. However I still wished there was more. The title, To Make Monsters Out of Girls, made me think it would be a twisted fairytale. Like Red Riding Hood being taken in by the Big Bad Wolf and seeing her grow from a frail, delicate girl into a fierce huntress with claws and teeth. But it was still good.

Original review-9/18/18
Am I the only person who has to think carefully inste
Indya
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, poetry
Decided to give another book of poetry a go, from someone whose poems I have enjoyed in the past. Whilst I preferred this collection over Rupi's Milk and Honey, it still didn't feel like poetry to me. It felt like a story. I enjoyed that the poems seemed to go chronologically, as it helped you see the growth that Amanda went through, both with herself and in her relationships.

However, as much as I understand the need to get your feelings onto paper, I still worry about the romanticisation of to
Aini Ainayya
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
I picked this book to fulfil my monthly reading challenge. April theme: a book with flower in it's cover. Besides, I interested in this poems because according to many reviews, this one talks about toxic (abusive) relationship, and how the girl stand up for herself. So ...

first of all
doesn't
make
it
a poetry

Second, I can never relate to this lame stories. Seriously, "the girl" blaming herself for being abused by her monster boy. Like ...
K.Y. Robinson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To Make Monsters Out of Girls is Amanda's most vulnerable, heartbreaking, and beautiful collection to date. It takes the reader on a journey through a toxic relationship and her efforts to move on from it. It helped me to understand why people stayed in toxic relationships and how it isn't so easy to walk away. By the end, we are introduced to her "sun-heart" aka her spouse. This section was my favorite! (Side note--I think monsters is a great complement to her spouse's debut collection.) I had ...more
Anna P
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me stop and think about how other peoples lives could be like. What other people have gone through or could go through. It also gave me more inspiration for what types of topics I could write in my poems in the future. I love poetry a lot so this book I loved.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions 2 20 Aug 15, 2018 02:18AM

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • Dragonhearts
  • The Truth About Magic
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • DROPKICKromance
  • soft thorns
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • Empty Bottles Full of Stories
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts #3)
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Love Her Wild
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • I Hope You Stay
  • The Chaos of Longing
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new jersey with her fian ...more

things that h(a)unt (2 books)
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)