Start by marking “Fierce” as Want to Read:
Fierce

Fierce

Three years ago, Tori beat the wrong man. Her MMA training partner, nursing a bruised ego, snapped—shattering her trust and confidence.

Now, she's putting herself through college, avoiding all things fight related, and keeping her fists to herself. That is, until her uncle's failing health draws her back to his gym and her old pounding grounds. With her demons still hauntin
Published March 2018 (first published August 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fierce, please sign up.
Sierra Take Me On by katie mcgarry. Book revolves around characters that do Muay Thai kickboxing.

Cindy ~
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fresh take on the MMA. This book is from the woman’s POV and she is the MMA fighter. From the first page to the last I just ate this book up. I like that more authors are writing very strong female character lately and Tori Rhoads is certainly that.

When we meet Tori she is trying to live a normal life that doesn’t involve her fist after two tragic things happened 3 years ago. Problem is that just isn’t in her DNA. When she loses her job as a waitress after defending herself and another w
Liza
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received an ARC for an honest review

"I took the road less travelled by."

Fierce is original and has definitely lived up to its title.

I have never read a material like this---a woman getting on her fists and is the star of the book that usually has hot, alpha males getting into MMA action. LG Kelso's venture into the contemporary world will surely pay off.

Raw and intense in small details. The author knows her theme. She knows where to punch the readers with sensitive issues and she knows whe
Bronwyn
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually prefer books I read to have more then one POV as I feel u get more from the book but I must admit I really enjoyed this story from only her POV. What a strong character to over come all that she did. Max was a really great guy and the overall story and characters had great depth. A definite story you wont be disappointed with.
Anne Bembenek
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conquering Personal Demons

Wasn't quite what I expected but I really enjoyed it. I need to see if Shane got his story. If not, this is a book perfect on it's own, but begging for a series.
Alexis
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book . I was going through all the list for female fighters and yours was exactly what I was looking for . I went through lots of list ! and not many came close too what I was looking for however your book hit the target ! completely . Thank you for all your hard work. I'll definitely be looking out for your next work ~ love your new reader/follower .
Tina Lynne
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I even begin with this book? I absolutely LOVED it. It was refreshing, realistic, heartfelt and powerful. The characters were so well written and brought to life off the pages of this book. The storyline was believable and I stayed up till the wee morning hours to finish this book! For a debut novel, this was fantastic and I cannot wait to see what LG Kelso has in store for us in the future!
Let’s talk about these well rounded characters. Tori was such a strong female lead. It wasn’t jus
Theresa Alberts
The old me and my old dreams were fermented in the bloodstains, and as I had feared, the good memories had been overwhelmed by only the bad, and those nightmares still haunted this space."

Fierce by L.G. Kelso is a story of struggle, of trying to face the fears that one has from a failure and rise above them in order to succeed in what matters the most, happiness. Tori is a female MMA fighter, who had one bad fight where she was severely injured and promised her parents that she would walk away f
Kristin
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
This story sounds amazing. A MMA FEMALE fighter is not something you hear of a lot. However, that was the only difference between this story and others. There is of course your damaged H/h combo who are fighting through their demons. Drama that arises and causes a rift between teammates, when it all could have been avoided by talking to each other. Not to mention the game of cat and mouse between the H/h with "Do they like me, or are they just being friendly?" when it's clear those signals are n ...more
Chelsea Hannrahan
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

I've been hesitant of NA Contemporary Romance lately, but I thought this still sounded interesting. Let me say: This was not typical NA and I really enjoyed that. It is contemporary romance, but it still stood out. Over all, this book has some seriously funny moments, as well as some very sweet moments, hot moments (sparring YUM), somewhat frightening and heartbreaking moments.

It's not the common 'broken girl is fixed by broken b
Emma
Loved the tension and the training would really have liked to see more of the romance though.

OK you know I hate comparing books BUT in this case I have to mention that it really reminded me of Katie McGarry's Take Me On with respect to the main female character. The grit, determination and strength to overcome her own personal demons and carve a path in a male dominated sport.

I really loved the characters in Fierce. Each having an internal battle with aspects of their lives that have shaped them
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a review copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Tori is a boss. Oh my god, I love her. With Tori as a kick ass heroine, Fierce pulls you into the world of MMA right away. I'm not really into MMA, but I'm SO glad I read this book. I loved seeing the inner workings of the sport as much as I adored getting to know Tori and Max.

I love it when you start getting to know someone and are surprised to find out the things you have in common. That's one of the most
Gabic Reads
Original review at Gabic Reads. Review copy received from author -- Thanks!!

Fierce is one of the best books I've read all year. It was full of tension, romance, and action. Tori has stayed away from MMA since she tore her ACL. Mostly because her confident was stolen from her and also to keep her parents happy. But necessity causes her to stumble upon the scene again and she is drawn back into the world of fighting.

Tori is fierce and strong. She can take care of herself, and she refuses to trust
~Steph K~
**ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review by the girls and I at www.sizzlingpages.com **

While I did enjoy this story, I definitely don't think I would classify this as a romance. To me the story focused more on Tori overcoming her attack, and realizing that to truly be happy, she has to listen to her heart and not ignore the desire she has to fight. Tori's relationship with Max was more on the friendship level most of the book - but that doesn't discount the importance of their rela
The BookWhisperer
Hell Yeah!!! The first tidbit of information that I have heard through the grapevine about this book was about the kickass heroine. I agree wholeheartedly, Tori is the picture of determination and independence. This is a girl that knows what she wants, and how to get it. I know that this is a transition book, because really this personality is one that grows with the story, but regardless she is inspiring. I love the gym atmosphere, and the protective nature that these boys take with Tori. Witho ...more
Elizabeth Barone
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I started writing because I love reading, I haven’t been doing very much of that lately. I’ve also fallen way behind on New Adult releases, for two reasons: lack of time, and lack of interest. I have said before that many of the NA books I’ve read were horribly lacking and misleading. I still get a lot of shit for this, but hey. It’s my opinion. You’re certainly entitled to yours. My biggest problem with NA books is the lack of focus on characters and the sex, sex, SEX. I have no pro ...more
She Hearts Books
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tori walked away from fighting after freezing in her last match which caused her some serious injuries. The freeze happened after her training partner turned on her and in the case dealt her a beating that changed her life in so many ways. Not only is there fear, but she had trouble trusting. When she loses her job, Tori goes back to that life working the desk at her uncle's gym. One good thing came out of her time at the diner...Max. The surprise was that Max too was a fighter and actually trai ...more
sue
Will shattered her confidence.
Tori had been attacked.

She had a lot to overcome.

I don't know anything about MMA . I'm not going to fool anyone and say this was an easy read for me as I don't have one utter clue of the sport. I still don't. I only read about the passions from Tori, I could feel that coming through the pages.

Yes there is some romance in this, but more of a friendship, a solid relationship that has gradually grown and built on trust. It took a long time for Tori to get there thou
Susan
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this well written and attention grabbing story. Tori is a young woman who had it all until a friend she trusted, her sparring partner Will, shattered her life and confidence. She is now attending college and hiding from her past. When she loses her job and the only position she can find is a desk job at her old gym, her passion for MMA is reawakened. She has to learn to trust if she is to build a solid relationship with Max, a pro-fighter from the gym. I loved Tori's strength an ...more
Johnnie-Marie Howard
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
This was/is a 1 person POV story. The author did an outstanding and remarkable job with her writing style and getting the story across to the readers. She will be added to my shelf for future reads. I do hope that thier is more MMA fighter books coming out from this author. It's one story that you don't want to miss. I have to give this story a 5star review it really was worth every page turn and every word on the page!! It one of those stories that grab you and don't let you go at the same time ...more
Lillie Mae
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new adult sports novel with a romantic bent. As someone unfamiliar with the sport, it still allowed me to understand what was happening, and feeling intense feelings for the main characters. I felt their passion and their love for the sport, as well as the emotions that developed between them. A well done first book that shows the author's skills.
Iliana
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fierce

Tori story was great, she overcame her fears and became a stronger person. And Max wow hot, hot, hot. The only reason I gave 4 star to this story was because I wish we could have Max pov. So we could get to know him better. But it was a beautiful, fierce story.
Athena
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting this to be well written, enjoyable, or unique. Shame on me because it held my interest due to the MMA angle. At times it was too technical and there was virtually no chemistry between Tori and Max, but the female empowerment journey kept me reading.
Angie
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the premise of this book... loved the whole female mma fighter walking away coming back but the story itself was slow going and kind of dull. i did finish the book but it took alot of work to get there. 2.5 stars.
Sierra
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a young woman that does combat sports, let me just say that this book is awesome. I need at least 10 more of these, please.
Michelle
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Kept ur interest. Very well written. Really enjoyed the alpha female & male. ❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
Diana Gallagher
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this gritty and engaging immersion into the MMA world! With a tough-as-nails protagonist and a slow-simmering romance, this is a refreshing story of redemption and growth.
Pam Sausaman
rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Fighting Chance
  • The Prisoner (The Replacement, #1.5)
  • Keep Me Safe (Keep Me Hot Book 1)
  • The Waltz (Sexual Awakenings, #1)
  • Oregon Bride (Bride Series, #3)
  • Trusting an Angel
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Grace for Drowning
  • New Blood (Vampire in the City, #1)
  • Tamed (Fit Trilogy #2)
  • No Regrets (Pace of Love #1)
  • Nova (Nephilim Code # 1)
  • Fighting the Fall (Beyond the Cage, #2)
  • Once Upon a Darkness (Company, #1)
  • Yield to Me (Club Excelsior, #1)
  • Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)
  • Push and Pull (Vampire Favors, #1)
  • Euphoria (Duality, #2)
L.G. Kelso writes authentic sports fiction about characters falling in love with combat sports and also each other. She's a fan of anything that bashes gender stereotypes, and she can be found in her MMA gym when not writing.

Visit her website at http://www.lgkelso.com for more information about her and upcoming projects, including another book in the Whatever It Takes universe. She can also be fo
“You do it because you like the creativity, and yet it's logical, like a science. You do it because it's your way of life. You do it because you love it and you can't not do it, because it's who you are."
My words clung to the steam around me, leaving whispering trails that echoed far beneath my skin, echoed deep in my bones. "At least, that's why I did it.”
3 likes