Start by marking “Rick Mercer Final Report” as Want to Read:
Rick Mercer Final Report

Rick Mercer Final Report

Canada's pre-eminent satirical commentator brings down the curtain on his hugely successful show in this instant #1 national bestseller.

Rick Mercer can always be relied on to provoke a strong reaction—but what he said one fall day in 2017 truly shocked the nation. In a rant posted on social media, the great Canadian satirist announced loud and clear that the current, 15th
Published November 6th 2018 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Rick Mercer Final Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Mercer Final Report

Start your review of Rick Mercer Final Report
Karen
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books-read
For 15 years Canadians have been entertained by Rick Mercer as he's brought all that is good and not so great about our country into our homes with his own unique style and a very solid dose of humor.

I'm normally a fan of read it or listen to the audio whichever makes you happy but I have to admit int this instance if you want the full experience of a Rick Mercer rant you need to listen to the audio book. It's narrated by the one and only Rick Mercer and if you've ever watched his show than you'
Rose
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re not from Canada, you probably have no idea who Rick Mercer is. If you are from Canada, then you know how great he is. After many years on This Hour Has 22 Minutes, he spun off his own show but the one thing that remained was his rant. Oh yeah, the Canadians know what I’m talking about. The rant was my favorite thing. It only lasted a minute or two but the week was summarized as only he could - straight to the point, no holds barred and funny. You are generally better off skipping the n ...more
Shilpa
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. My prediction is that it will probably be a very popular holiday gift.

“Ranting has always been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I come from an island of ranters. I love the process of taking a subject that is large and complex, and distilling it into a single, coherent, ninety-second rant.”

Rick Mercer is a Canadian icon. Fifteen seasons of the Rick Mercer Report is no small feat. He’s made us laugh, and educated us about all things Canadiana. But, m
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I listened to this audiobook for a reading challenge task to read a book that makes you LOL. Although this book was a bit less than I expected, in that it’s basically just a collection of Rick’s best rants over the years with very little actual reflection, it certainly did make me laugh. A lot.

Morgan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I grew up watching This Hour Has 22 Minutes with my family and my favourite segment was Talking to Americans, hosted by Rick Mercer. Of course, once The Mercer Report started, we watched that too. Needless to say, I have been a Rick Mercer fan most of my life, but this was the first time I had ever read one of his books. He comes off on paper exactly as he does on television, smart, funny, and compassionate. I both laughed and teared up while reading this and I enjoyed every minute. Highly recom ...more
Amber Daugherty
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't like doing this but I really didn't like this book. I was hopeful - Rick Mercer is an intelligent, thoughtful person who's known for the awesome stunts he pulls and the conversations he has with people across the country. But this book? Was a bit lazy. The show was on for 15 years and so the book just regurgitates some of the rants he did over the years in reverse order from present to 2004. Which means the first rant is kind of relevant and the last is... 14 years old. Throughout the bo ...more
Nicole Cann
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh Rick, how I miss you.

This compilation of rants was hilarious, infuriating, nostalgic, timeless, and thought provoking. Rick chose the perfect rants to represent his time on prime time and to reflect on where Canada is today. I also really appreciated the additional stories and perspectives he shared.

The only issue I had with the book is the same I have with all talk shows, the rants rile you up but then they don’t give you any productive actions to take to deal with the issues.

That said, I
Donna
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Not only was it highly entertaining, I learned a lot of interesting things about Canadian politics. More importantly I learned that I need to pay more attention to Canadian politics.
I laughed out loud at the chapter about Norman Jewison. Read the book and you'll find out why.
I don't know if I can pass this book along....I may need to keep it for reference. I have a lot of questions now and I want to to try to find some answers.
So I've been entertained and educated.
Amy Roebuck
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't beat Rick Mercer for on point Canadian political satire. His love for his country and the people of it glows through all he says and writes--sometimes to white heat.
If you want to learn about what Canadians care about, read Mercer. Or find him on CBC gem. or youtube. Or all three.
✿✿✿May
A 3.5 star for the audiobook narrated by the author. It was entertaining but exhausting to listen to. It was a composition of his rants, political and otherwise. But if you like his shows, then this audiobook is for you.
Ann-Marie
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
So Canadian. I chuckled, nodded & virtually high fived Rick through most of his rants & stories. The very best parts were the lengthier essays - write more of those for the next one Rick! ...more
❀ Susan G
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Rick Mercer rants are fun to read! they are short, sarcastic and funny. Written for him to orate in 90 seconds they are each 2-3 pages long and many focused on politics.

I had been looking for a lighter read from a Newfoundland author and my friends on the CanadianContent group succeeded.

I loved reading the sections on his collaboration with Jann Arden and his time spent with Pierre Berton as the 90 year old taught Canadians to roll a joint... and kept the extra weed!

This is a great book to read
Kristin
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In this instant #1 national bestseller, Rick Mercer has written us a book to commemorate the end of his beloved television show! It is a fond look back at what made The Rick Mercer Report such a massive hit among Canadians. He is, quite simply, a clever, funny man that deeply loves his country, but gets irritated with it at the same time. This book brings together never-before-published rants from the last five seasons of the show, plus a selection of the very best rants from earlier years. The ...more
Amanda Howlett
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you love the Mercer Report, you'll love his books. This is a collection of his Rants (the part where he's walking down the graffiti alley) and also features some tales from the many years spent doing the show including his many adventures with Jan Arden and Pierre Berton rolling a joint. Each rant is only a couple pages long, so makes an ideal bed time read if you have a habit of falling asleep while reading. A great way to learn a little bit about Canadian political issues over the past coup ...more
Karen
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick’s rants were always among the highlights of his show. I was looking forward to hearing the best of his rants. However, when you listen to rant after rant, it starts to sound angry and bitter. I still enjoyed the individual rants but hearing them one after another became a little much. I had to take breaks from listening. The best parts were the untold stories that were interspersed between the rants. I could have listened to those all day long.
Derek Bowen
Great easy read with some laughs. As it is an election year it was interesting to read what has happened in the past to the various leaders/parties and as it relates to what they are questioning current leaders on.
Jacquie
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Rick Mercer agreed and disagreed with some of his rants. The the way he tells things is so entertaining. Can’t help but think he’s setting himself up for a political run at the federal level. I will miss the show, the information about Canada and the jokes.
Luam
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
some of these rants really don't age well, and Rick Mercer definitely has some takes that I don't agree with, but i mean. come on. it's frickin rick mercer. frick mercer (i'll never repeat that again sorry mr mercer)
Anna
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If you miss the days of Rick ranting in the alley, this will fill that void. It's full of short bits - the good ones are the anecdotes about other celebrities. If you want to know more about that time Pierre Burton gave a tutorial on rolling a joint, this is the book for you.
Darlene Stericker
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, not only because Rick has the same opinions as I have, but also because his writing has a delightful turn of phrase in almost every piece.
Catherine
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved his show and his rants.

A great review of the show content.

Loved the behind the scenes information.

Still miss his show!

Jennifer Rayment
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly if you don't love and agree with 90% of Rick's rants, you are either American, or just someone who I want nothing to do with. Not an insult to Americans, its just some of it, you just are not going to get. There is nothing I would want more in this life than for Rick to come and explain politics to me, as -- well -- I honestly know crap about politics, but Rick makes me want to know more and become involved. I am one of those people who have just become jaded and feel that all politicia ...more
E.A. Briginshaw
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the Rich Mercer TV show and I could almost hear his voice as I read some of his rants. I also really enjoyed the new material which appeared in the paperback version I read. I would have rated this 5 stars except that I found some of the rants repetitive. I wish that a few of the older rants been left out and that there had been more new material in the book.
Mark Medland
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Rick Mercer moved to Toronto, got married and started the Rick Mercer Report, I thought he had gone soft and lost the edge he prominently brandished at This Hour Has 22 Minutes. This book, which is a compilation of his RMR graffiti alley rants, are evidence that his blood still ran hot. Mercer is a masterful writer - carefully labouring over ever word. The high points are his longer rants which come across more like well crafted essays than monologues. A high point is his tribute to Gord Do ...more
Chuck Slack
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
By far one of this country’s best satirists. A great read.
Corinna Angehrn
You know when you’re watching YouTube videos, and you keep playing one more, and then you look at the clock and notice it’s been almost 2 hours? That’s this audiobook
Barb
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miss his TV show. These books are the next best thing. You can almost hear his voice!
April
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book at the library and decided to give it a try. I love when you pick out a book and are pleasantly surprised when you discover that it’s really good. I laughed out loud, enjoyed the many sayings like “ stinks like day old mussels” and have a greater appreciation for our politics, history and great country. I’ve never been to Parliament hill but the trip is now on my bucket list. My favorite stories were the reflections - loved the recollections and revelations. Just a great read ...more
Jeri
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent reminder of how little has changed over the years, and at the same time, how much has changed over the years.
Alex Drysdale
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Basically a long winded version of his show.

I was hoping that this book wouldn't be in character... unless he's actually like that???
But it seemed he was.

There was some behind the scenes breakdowns, but again in character as if it was done for a behind the scenes episode of his show.

More of a bathroom book you could pick up for 5-minutes and read a couple skits out of.
Most were entertaining, but there was no real peak into the actual person behind the character and what it took to run that show
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book linked to incorrect Rick Mercer 3 12 Oct 02, 2018 11:41AM

• Son of a Critch: A Childish Newfoundland Memoir
  • My Stories, My Times
  • A Newfoundlander in Canada: Always Going Somewhere, Always Coming Home
  • Parking the Moose: One American's Epic Quest to Uncover His Incredible Canadian Roots
  • Albatross
  • Feeding My Mother: Comfort and Laughter in the Kitchen as My Mom Lives with Memory Loss
  • Defying Limits: Lessons from the Edge of the Universe
  • From the Ashes
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • Love & Courage: My Story of Family, Resilience, and Overcoming the Unexpected
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #MeToo?
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz
  • Christmas at the Vinyl Cafe
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • The Missing Millionaire: The True Story of Ambrose Small and the City Obsessed With Finding Him
  • All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law
  • Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club
Whatever's making headlines in Canada; you can be sure Rick Mercer has something to say about it. His show, The Mercer Report, mixes parody and politics like no one else in Canada.

So, where did Rick get his start? Born and raised on The Rock—St. John's, Newfoundland, Rick grew up with a love of performing. As a teenager, he co-founded a comedy troupe called Corey and Wade's Playhouse. And a couple