Start by marking “39 Winks” as Want to Read:
39 Winks

39 Winks

(Maggie O'Malley Mystery #2)

Former pharmaceutical researcher Maggie O’Malley is losing sleep. Her boyfriend Constantine’s aunt is a multitasking sleepwalker who, in addition to wandering her stately home, prepares meals, folds laundry and, one winter night, stumbles across her husband with his throat slit.

It’s a rude and gruesome awakening that’s upsetting to Aunt Polly. And interesting to the polic
Published May 22nd 2018 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about 39 Winks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 39 Winks

Linda Strong
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maggie McMalley's boyfriend's Aunt Polly is a well-known sleepwalker. During her 'travels' she might bake a cake, do some laundry, and then meander back to her bed, never knowing what she's done.

Tonight is different .... she wakes up in the middle of the night, standing over her husband with his throat slit. She is covered in blood and has no idea of what has happened. Of course, she is the prime suspect in this killing.

Her nephew Constantine and his girlfriend, Maggie, make a quick trip to his
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I love this series! It’s droll, witty, clever – and has the feel of a cozy mystery coupled with the edginess of a thriller. And while this is the second Maggie O’Malley mystery, it can easily be read as a standalone.

Maggie and her boyfriend Constantine are absolutely delightful together – their interactions wrapped in warmth, humor, and genuine affection and respect. Their banter made me giggle more than once, especially when merged with Constantine’s somewhat goofy side. Maggie’s wry outlook on
LORI CASWELL
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Maggie O’Malley is back and she is selling ladies lingerie?? Well, she is when the story begins. She lost her pharmaceutical job after all the drama she was involved in and she has bills to pay. She stands up to her boss and ends up unemployed again, but that is fine with her. Now she can go help her boyfriend, Constantine with his aunt and a murder she may have committed. She has a little sleepwalking problem and she happened to find her husband dead at the table with his thr
Eclectisism Incarnate
This installment of Maggie O'Malley is...okay.

Don't get me wrong, we still get a great protagonist. Lots of nerdy movie quotes. Miss Vanilla (I love that Hamster). A fun and unpredictable mystery. Lots of great things!

But we also get a strange ending. The mystery gets solved satisfactorily, but the recap that the characters take us on (oh, what ever would we do without those recaps!) seems to forget a lot of what happened. And I don't mean they forgot to bring up a tiny thing that really makes n
Donna Davis
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: feminists, and those looking for a quick, fun read.
(Two days late; sorry!)

Valenti’s droll new series continues, with Maggie O’Malley and her hunky boyfriend, Constantine riding in to rescue his beloved Aunt Polly. Those that read Protocol, the series opener, know that Valenti writes with swagger, often with tongue in cheek. Thanks go to Net Galley and Henery Press for the DRC, which I received free and early in exchange for this honest review. This title is now for sale.

What would induce a woman to walk away from her job in order to play amateu
Kathleen
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
39 WINKS is a clever and twisty thriller that will grab you from the first sentence and keep you guessing until the very end.
Brenda
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maggie O'Malley's intelligence about all things pharmaceutical is impressive.
This second encounter with Maggie threw me off initially when the character was now a lingerie sales clerk and lost in the weeds. This did become an integral part of solving the murder of Aunt Polly's husband.
I am happy that I persisted when the story became interesting and eventually quite thrilling. Maggie's scientific knowledge of medical issues including medications played a major role in solving a murder as well a
Teresa Kaiser DuValle
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book even more than Protocol (the first Maggie O’Malley book). The story will keep you guessing. Kathleen Valenti’s humor is witty and smart, plus I love her references to past pop culture. I can’t wait for the next book in the series!
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Maggie O'Malley is an ex-pharmaceutical researcher who was basically forced out of her job after exposing a company scandal. She's now working for a high-end lingerie company as a sales clerk - that is, until she confronts the owner with a wrong and loses her job.

Things go from bad to worse when she receives a call from her boyfriend Constantine telling her that his aunt Polly has had a bad sleepwalking incident and found her husband murdered in the kitchen of their home. While Maggie doesn't wa
Verity W
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

This really wasn't for me. I kept going to the end - but only to see how it ended up being resolved and how many more plot twists could be thrown in. There is so much going on here - so many tropes, so many red herrings, and it's just too much. This is billed as a gripping page turner, but to me it read like a cozy crime that was trying to be a thriller and ended up not being either. It felt like a bit like the author had played mix and m
Lghiggins
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the first book of this series, Protocol, Maggie O’Malley gets drawn into a complicated and deadly abuse of power in her job as a pharmaceutical researcher. I assumed that in the second book in the series she would continue her work in the pharmaceutical industry. The author explains what happened: “Blame for the downturn was laid not only at the feet of the guilty but the person who had revealed their culpability. Coworkers stopped collaborating. Managers ‘forgot’ to invite her to meetings. I ...more
Elizabeth
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, cozy, mystery
I liked the main character's strong drive to protect others, she won me over early in the book because of that. I didn't like that she had to feel so guilty about almost everything bad that happened to anyone in the story. I really didn't see a reason for so much guilt and for me it dragged down the story a little.

The sleepwalking was so well described it was unsettling, which was great. I also felt as though I could see the house they were staying in and smell all the baked goods. The medical m
Susan Johnston
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Princess Fuzzypants here: Maggie O’Malley tries so hard to do the right thing. Her attempts often make matters much worse for the people she is trying to help including herself. After being fired for being insubordinate to her boss, and getting the person she was trying to help fired as well, she joins her boyfriend as he tries to discover what is happening to his aunt.
Her husband’s throat has been slit in their kitchen and she cannot recall where she was or what she was doing at the time. It se
Gayle B
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. The book starts right off with Aunt Polly finding her husband in the kitchen, murdered. The police want to blame Aunt Polly right away and be done with it. The thing about Aunt Polly, is that she has Parkinson's and sleep walks. One of her episodes looks like it will seal her guilt. BUT, Howard has lots of people that don't like him. Maggie and Constantine work to prove Polly's innocence. In the process, Maggie has several near misses with her life.

The story has many
Betty Vander Wier
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magnolia (Maggie) O’Malley is an unforgettable character. She is a fantastic super sleuth who follows her instincts but that always get her into trouble. Her boyfriend Constantine (Gus) and his pet hamster Miss Vanilla work along side to help Maggie solve the mysteries that continue to pop up.
I won’t share anymore and spoil your excitement and reading pleasure. You really need to buy the book to find out for yourself. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
You definitely don’t want to take 4
Sally Auguston
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. In fact, I missed it after I had completed reading it. So sad it was over.
Valenti's characters are solidly developed and lively. The plot was twisty-turny. What would happen next?! Her use of the language is innovative and fun. I keep thinking, "Yes, I know just what she means here, but I wouldn't have ever thought of saying it that way." I can't wait for another Maggie O'Malley mystery.
Grace Koshida
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The aunt of Maggie O'Malley's boyfriend Constantine is a sleepwalker who ends up finding her cosmetic surgery husband Howard at home with his throat slit. The police are skeptical about Polly's claims of not remembering her actions and she becomes the prime suspect. So Maggie and Constantine dig into Howard's work. Unhappy clients and a secret former life that Howard kept hidden from everyone are possible motives.

I received an eARC via Netgalley and Henery Press with no requirements for a revie
Barbara Lack
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie O’Malley is back disrupting crime. This time it’s more personal, it involves Constantine’s aunt. The book has twists and turns and multiple crimes all linking together. The storyline kept evolving as time went on. I enjoyed this book immensely! Received an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review by NetGalley.
Mary Ann
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the main character Maggie O'Malley and all of the plot twists and turns. This author just keeps getting better. Looking forward to reading the third book in the series.
Barbara Tobey
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Grateful when this book reached a conclusion. The characters did not appeal to me. The health issues were strange. The publisher provided a copy via NetGalley.
Karen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great second book in the Maggie O'Malley series! Fun, fast, suspenseful. I can't wait for the third book!!
Thomas
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story that's well written. It was a little slow paced for me though.
Jane Reads
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to find out what happens in Book #3!
Lisa
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Loved the twists and turns in this one. I think I like it better than Protocol! Recommended.
Rachel Jackson
May 07, 2018
Melissa Cheresnick
Aug 16, 2018
Joanne
Apr 21, 2019
Jami Caldwell
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging, suspenseful tale that’ll keep you guessing! The characters are relatable & the storyline is perfectly placed - looking forward to more with this author!! Thanks to netgalley for the opportunity to read & review.
Ami
May 31, 2018
Book
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie O’Malley and her boyfriend Constantine are summoned to his aunt Polly’s aid when she finds her husband dead, slumped over his breakfast cereal.

Kathleen Valenti has conceived a complex mystery, rich layers, twists and a few red herrings. Aunt Polly has Parkinson’s and a history of sleepwalking. In fact, her sleepwalking adventures are quite advanced and leads her into becoming a suspect as she unearths what may be the murder weapon in one of her evening outings.

The two detectives on the

• Do No Harm (Dr. Katie LeClair #2)
  • Murder, She Reported (Murder, She Reported #1)
  • House of Ashes
  • The Pajama Frame (A Madison Night Mystery Book 5)
  • Til Death Do Us Party (A Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #4)
  • All Signs Point to Murder (Zodiac Mystery #2)
  • Daufuskie Island
  • Death at the Day Lily Cafe
  • Oliver Twisted (Ivy Meadows #3)
  • Murder on a Designer Diet (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery, #3)
  • The Novel Art of Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #3)
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery #1)
  • Sky High (Nicki Valentine Mystery #2)
  • Abstract Aliases (Bodies of Art, #3)
  • A Crafter Knits a Clue (A Handcrafted Mystery #1)
  • Staged 4 Murder (Sophie Kimball Mystery #3)
  • Past Due for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #3)
Kathleen Valenti has been writing for more than 20 years, first as a nationally award-winning copywriter and now as the author of the Maggie O'Malley Mystery Series. A firm believer that deadpan can be dead-on, she combines funny with frightening to craft page-turners of mystery and suspense.

In Kathleen's debut novel, Agatha and Lefty Award-nominated Protocol, Maggie O'Malley examines the flaws of

Maggie O'Malley Mystery (2 books)
  • Protocol (A Maggie O'Malley Mystery #1)