Start by marking “Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)

Latchkey

(Archivist Wasp Saga #2)

Isabel, once known as Wasp, has become leader of the fearsome upstarts, the teen girl acolytes who are adjusting to a new way of life after the overthrow of the sadistic Catchkeep-priest. They live in an uneasy alliance with the town of Sweetwater—an alliance that will be tested to its limits by the dual threats of ruthless raiders from the Waste and a deadly force from th ...more
Published July 10th 2018 by Mythic Delirium Books

To ask other readers questions about Latchkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latchkey

Start your review of Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)
Justine
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Archivist Wasp was one of my favourite books of 2015, so I was pretty excited to read Latchkey. I thought that the first book was complete as it was, but I was happy for more.

I was worried that I might have forgotten some of the details, but Latchkey covers most of the main points and leads the reader through in the course of the story, so I felt caught up without it feeling at all repetitive.

I really like Kornher-Stace's writing. She has a nice pace which makes Latchkey easy to read, with grea
Tatiana
I am of two minds about Latchkey - I really love the characters and the author's style of writing and I was happy to revisit them in this book, but at the same time I thought Archivist Wasp was a perfectly complete story that didn't need any sequels, and I think so even more strongly now. I hate to say it, but Latchkey seems to me wholly unnecessary.

The story takes place 3 years after the events of Archivist Wasp. Isabel (Wasp) and her fellow upstarts live peacefully enough free of the Catchkeep
Patty Templeton
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Nicole Kornher-Stace is a goddess of grit and heartworn heroes. In Latchkey, book two of the Archivist Wasp Saga, the reader is hurled into a world of ruins, raiders, and lost tech. It’s a severe setting, and Kornher-Stace could’ve gone full grim future, but instead, she manifests character friendships that just may get the reader through the long dark of troubled times.

Wasp, now Isabel, is back in the town of Sweetwater. It's been several years since Isabel overthrew the Catchkeep-priest and,
Barb in Maryland
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f-goodies, keepers
[This review may contain spoilers for the first book}
4.5 stars for this fabulous sequel to 'Archivist Wasp'.
I was both thrilled and scared when I learned of this book. Thrilled because I loved 'Archivist Wasp' and I wanted a chance to revisit that world; scared because I dreaded that it wouldn't live up to the first book or somehow ruin its world. Not to worry--the author had a firm grip on the story and its world.
It is 3+ years since the events in 'Archivist Wasp'. Wasp is now know as Isabel an
Suzanne Berget
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the first ten pages I was hooked. Isabel is such a believable and wonderful character, and thanks to the author's incredible writing talent I really felt that Isabel was wrung out and damaged from the events of the first book, and I was continuosly amazed by her grit and willpower.

In this book we get to learn a whole lot more about the Latchkey project, its operatives, Foster and the ghost, and holy hell, it will break your heart.

I need more.
Erin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I thought you were smarter than that"
Susan
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I was such a huge fan of Archivist Wasp. It’s one of the books I am always talking about and recommending to others. You might even say I’m an Archivist Wasp pusher. I was not expecting a sequel and I couldn’t click on “request” fast enough when I saw Latchkey on Netgalley. My expectations were sky high and I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t live up to its predecessor.

Re-immersing myself in this broken world was an adjustment. I had forgotten just how bleak and hopeless it was. After the endin
Claudie Arseneault
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You absolutely need to have read ARCHIVIST WASP before picking this one. And expect a completely different experiences, with a wider scope that touches on community a lot, but also … everything I loved about ghost/Wasp in the first is back here, and I devoured this in a single reading, and halfway through I wasn't sure I could properly survive how much I loved the ghost. <3 ...more
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-release
Have you read Archivist Wasp? If you haven’t, you really should. It’s a striking, post-apocalyptic, ghost-hunting body novel that tells a deeply intense story without even a hint of romance. Latchkey is a follow-up, taking place three years later. I strongly suggest reading Archivist Wasp first, and this review will contain spoilers for Archivist Wasp.

The girl once known as Wasp has reclaimed her given name of Isabel, and she’s become a leader of the former upstarts. What was a group of individu
Idzie
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC courtesy of NetGalley.

I should probably tell you, first of all, that I don’t usually go for dystopian fantasy, mainly because I just don’t like cynical books about bad things happening endlessly with no hope for anything better, which is too often characteristic of the genre. It should then tell you something when I say I absolutely love this series.

The first installment, Archivist Wasp, which came out in 2015, was a wonderfully original cross-genre surreal quest through the un
Karyn Silverman
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arcs, specfic, z2018-reads
I have to think about this a lot before I say much, but overall first impression: it took a little while to hit its stride; once it did, deeply satisfying. Not the equal of book 1, but that just means it’s not as much better than most of everything else. Which is to say, still better than most of everything else.
Lukasz
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5

The Latchkey continues the story began in Archivist Wasp. Isabel, once known as Wasp, has become the leader of the upstarts. Adjustment to a new way of life isn't easy, especially that Sweetwater inhabitants have mixed feeling about whole archivists and ghosts business.

When ruthless raiders from the Waste and a deadly force from the Before-time that awaits in long-hidden tunnels appear, things get extremely dangerous for all. To save ex-upstarts and Sweetwater, Isabel will h
Nicholas Martinez
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some sequels fail to get out of the shadows of their predecessors, but Latchkey was a very faithful addition to Kornher-Stace's universe. I was happy to see the continuation to the characters from the first book and it was so interesting to see how the world building continued to unfold. A really fun read if you enjoy sci-fi books with a flare of ghosts!
Evan Jensen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everything I loved about Wasp and more.
Michelle Muenzler
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More, please! :)
Debbie Gascoyne
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, dystopia, 2018
Wonderful characters, beautifully written - just so good. Only not five stars because it's not _quite_ as good as Archivist Wasp (what could be?). I found the middle section a bit confusing, but overall it has a similar emotional punch to its predecessor, and just enough gravitas to carry it far beyond the run-of-the- mill YA novel (thank god for a sustained 3rd-person POV!!)
Deirdre
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
anyway uhhhh this book put my heart through the wringer and it’s just so well written and moves at a breakneck pace and has even tighter plotting than archivist wasp??? heck??? i may or may not have cried at certain points

11/10 these books just keep getting better and im very very hopeful for a third one
Kaitlyn S.
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
First thing--this is a sequel and you should read the first book before picking this up. It's good, I promise. There's a lot of character and worldbuilding you'd be missing out on, and while Latchkey doesn't pick up exactly where Archivist Wasp left off, this story is a clear continuation of what came before (vs something episodic like the Dresden Files). (Which, by the way, I find pretty impressive--the first wraps up neatly enough to stand alone, though I am thrilled to pieces to have a sequel ...more
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arcs
You can see my full review here!

*I received an eArc of this book from the Publishers through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

I was highly anticipating this sequel and it did not disappoint. The first half was a bit slow, but as soon as old characters make a presence, I started getting into the story more. Throughout this book, I stayed on the edge of my seat. I didn't know who was going to die or live and figuring out the mystery of the Latchkey project was great. I'd love a book three
Hesione
Jan 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
I'M FDSOGF N AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ARCHIVIST WASP IS GETTING A SEQUEL (though it would've been fine staying a standalone. but. still.)
Melanie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fans of ARCHIVIST WASP will be thrilled to learn that a new Wasp story publishes on July 10th, 2018. We were lucky to secure a preview of the sequel, and are happy to report that it's just as intense, fascinating, and strange as the first installment from Nicole Kornher-Stace.

LATCHKEY begins three years after the conclusion of ARCHIVIST WASP, at a time when Wasp--now known as Isabel--and the other residents of Sweetwater have finally found some kind of precarious peace among the devastation of t
Adri Joy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Latchkey takes the genre-bending mythology of Archivist Wasp and grounds it in a bigger, busier world, creating a different but worthy reading experience.

First, a confession: I was never on the Archivist Wasp bandwagon when it first came out. While it was on my radar, it never quite bubbled up to the top of the list, and by last year it was just another title to sigh over when browsing the Small Beer Press catalogue. Maybe someday, I thought, once I've read all the other books, I can read that o
Ellen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A novella about rebuilding (yourself, your community, your relationships) after trauma. I keep playing/buying games with this as the central thesis, and so it feels appropriate to finish up the year with Latchkey, a book about recovery (and about forging onwards and fighting and loving ghosts).

(no it's okay the ghosts are real i'm not being metaphorical here. I, personally, am in love with The Ghost, and this is the best slowburn ghost devotion story i've ever had the pleasure of enjoying)

hold o
Akila Rayapuraju
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-read
I'm going, to be honest, I went into this book begrudgingly. I felt that Archivist Wasp had a perfectly good ending and that there was no reason for the story to continue. But a couple chapters into Latchkey, I was so glad that the author had decided to continue Wasp's and the ghost's story because there is still SO much we didn't know about the Before world and the Latchkey Operation. I liked this book so much better than the first one. Perhaps this is because of the constant pull of the desire ...more
Jim
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 20%-ish...
seems most people love this book, an extension of sorts of 'Archivist Wasp', but i couldn't get into it... my problems: entirely too much back-and-forth dialogue that doesn't drive the plot; do i need to note the gigabillion mentions of "ghostgrass"??? fuckinghell!!; nothing really happens for the first 75 pages and that's 20% of the book (if it were book#1 it could work, wordbuilding and scenesetting and all that page-accumulation stuff, but it's not so why stuff the front-end w
Sheila
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Archivist Wasp books are genuinely not appreciated enough! I love this crazy, mind-bending, genre-defying dystopia. It reads a bit like Horizon Zero Dawn - but with ghosts! With that comparison how are more people not reading this????

This surprise second instalment answered a few questions that remained from the first book but left a couple still to linger. We see Wasp now as Isabel 3 years after the events of the first book, and how transitioning to a post-Archivist life has treated her. No
Suzi
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Archivist Wasp was like a legend - tightly plotted, focusing in on two characters on a mission. Latchkey is like what happens to the characters in a legend after the story is over. They keep living their lives but without the overwhelming focus of a specific goal. Things are more messy, there are more characters, more community, they have to figure out how to live with each other and think more laterally. And not only are they living post legend, they are reaching back into their pasts to find t ...more
Shane
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-scf-new-worlds
First off, depending on if there is ever a next book to make up for the cliff hanger this one ends on will really effect my final opinion of this book. Right now, I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt, but it was really frustrating to hit a full stop in the story just when it felt like we got somewhere. This book felt like it relied on a frenetic pace to avoid having to stop and fully explain some things that felt like convenient plot contrivances. I came in with a lot of care about the charact ...more
Lara
Guh, this series is so, so good! I thought the first one was a stand-alone, but when this book came out, of course I preordered it immediately, even though...well, the first book is so perfectly complete and wonderful as is that I wasn't sure what on earth the sequel would even be about, and how could it possibly be as good as the first one? But it was, albeit in different ways.

Also, I have realized that...I might have a very slight crush on the ghost, and this is a series that is just begging
Natalie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart is so full. Ouch. This was deeply, achingly beautiful--possibly even more so than Archivist Wasp was, and I didn't think that was possible. I love Isabel and her prickly, fierce pride and her *trying* and her yearning after friendship and her ruthlessness (especially towards herself) so much it hurts, and I had to read this book in tiny sips because I couldn't stand so much beauty at once. Oh, Isabel.

I can't wait for the next book.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Request to combine editions 2 207 Apr 24, 2018 10:06AM

• In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Finna
  • The Border Keeper
  • Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The Raven Tower
  • State Tectonics (The Centenal Cycle, #3)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Beneath the Rising
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Desdemona and the Deep (Dark Breakers, #3)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
Nicole Kornher-Stace lives in New Paltz, NY, with her family. Her books include ARCHIVIST WASP (Small Beer Press/Big Mouth House, 2015) and LATCHKEY (Mythic Delirium, 2018), which are about a far-future postapocalyptic ghosthunter, the ghost of a near-future supersoldier, and their adventures in the underworld. She has two more books due out in 2021: FIREBREAK, forthcoming from Saga, and JILLIAN V ...more

Archivist Wasp Saga (2 books)
  • Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)