Start by marking “Hag” as Want to Read:
Hag

Hag

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
At this, the Cailleach would release a single drop of indigo dye onto the topmost layer. See, she would tell her daughter. See? It bleeds through the topmost path and onto the next. In this way, so many things from the next world touch ours, and our world touches the layer beneath.

High above the sea, hidden in the rocky Scottish cliffs, something stirs. An ancient matriarc
Published October 2nd 2018 by Turner

To ask other readers questions about Hag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hag

Edward Lorn
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAG is the best book of its kind that I've read. It is a far superior witch novel than, say, it's closest competition, HEX, by Thomas Olde Heuvelt, which traveled into the goofy at times. Kaufman's book isn't plagued by the goofiness associated with witchcraft lore, and even manages to discuss other topics like the existence of mermaids without coming off as hokey.

I never wanted to put the book down, and only did when I had no other choice, as during times when hunger or familial obligations li
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review sent to Cemetery Dance!
Cheryl
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A swath of undeveloped land in Glasgow holds secrets, ancient, unnerving secrets that only the young can see as the old scoff mere folklore.

Alice Grace is six years old when a vocal force saves her from an eddy of sure demise. Shortly thereafter, she and her mum leave Scotland for Colorado and, presumably, a new life. One that Alice has seen, in varied versions, of her future. It’s an escape, but it doesn’t last.

Alice can also see other people’s futures, sometimes vivid realism, other times goss
Kimberly Mussell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*free copy for an honest review*
Alice is a young girl just venturing to Colorado, United States.
A girl with a vision? A girl with a curse? Just a few pages in and I am intrigued and my interest is piqued!

The intertwined story of Cailleach and her many ancestors is rather interesting and puts a beat into the story that allows you to stop and think. The backward story of all the great grandchildren from then to present is rather brilliant!
The mark of Ingwaz holds the power and connects the lineag
Reeca Elliott
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, kindle-app
Alice can see things. She knows what is going to happen in someone’s life. She does not realize she is a daughter of the Cailleach or the hag. No one has taught her or made her understand her destiny.

Alice struggles through most of this story. Deep down she knows she is different but she does not quite understand what or how. She sees the future when she looks closely at someone. This leads her to a path of destruction many times, but she manages to pull herself away. She is much stronger than s
whatsjennareading
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Confession. I did not even finish reading the synopsis for this one before pressing the request button in Edelweiss. The blurb above checks a lot of boxes for me–the occult, Scottland, multigenerational, women–I was in before I even turned the first page, and was left feeling anything disappointed at the last. Hag is an engrossing and atmospheric tale of magic and family connection. Kaufman moves effortlessly between past, present, and future to weave the story of the Cailleach and her powerful ...more
Sheryl
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Marzie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-edelweiss
4.5 Stars

It's seldom that I comment on a cover but in this case I have to say that the cover was a real disservice to the book. This is a beautiful novel with intertwined stories, principally of an ancient Scottish magical entity called Cailleach, that stems from the era of Scandinavian Scotland, and Alice Grace Kyles, one of Cailleach's descendants, along with a variety of other women descended from the Cailleach's line. Alice's story alternates chapters with Cailleach's stories and memories of
Ashley
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
You guys! This book just came out yesterday!

As with everyone else in the Known Universe, I love fall. You know how this goes, and everyone has been writing about it in All The Social Media Places so I’ll just take my comfy sweaters and pumpkin flavors and hot chocolate and move along. I really love October, actually, because I think that Halloween is awesome and I love all the stuff that goes with it. Being a book nerd, I LOVE indulging in some spooky literature during October. It seems like th
Charlene
There are so many great books this year and this one, coming in October of 2018, is no exception. I was hooked early in the story and I was reluctant but to put it down. Had I not been exhausted I would have been up all night reading it.

Hag tells the story of a long line of gifted women who are frequently whispered about because of their uniqueness. I loved reading about the skills that each descendant was taught and the suspense built throught the book makes it impossible to put down. It's a w
Joeanne
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mystical reach of the Cailleach throbs as the heartbeat of the story. Stacks of cloth and drops of indigo, Glasgow, Colorado, and London, heath and hearth, children growing and dying, girls becoming mothers and grandmothers all in a family connected by maternal blood and names.
There is magic in the knowing, danger in the forgetting and power in the remembering of the distant past, the depths of the unconscious. The mark of the rune, the dreamy mist of half-light where prediction comes forth
Annie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The women in Alice Grace Kyles’ family have always been considered odd. They have special talents: with healing, seeing the future, etc. The locals wherever they happen to live call them witches. We readers don’t have to wait long for the answer for all this to be revealed in Kathleen Kaufman’s Hag. All of the women, including Alice herself, are descended from the Cailleach, a powerful female creature sometimes called a hag...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a free copy o
Amanda
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! It was beautiful and magical. It reminded me a bit of Sarah Addison Allen though a bit darker. I love this line of the book because I think it sums it up very well, "it's all about cycles, and as mad as it sounds, I feel like I'm part of a grand cycle, all the women who came before me, and when I have a daughter of my own, it will all come round to where it began." That is what this book is about, the power of family and how we are all connected through time. Amazing book!

I r
Ashley McNurlan
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hag is truly unique. I absolutely loved the journey through the generations of strong and fierce women.

What I found most interesting is the concept of time & reality existing on different levels at the same time.

The author does a brilliant job of illustrating this concept of time with layers of Muslin cloth stacked together with a drop of indigo ink permeating each layer. I find that the story is written to explore these layers with each chapter.

The story is magical and dark but is a beau
Daniel Casey
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Kaufman’s prose is elegant and light allowing her story to come to the fore with ease leaving readers feeling light but yet resonant with the pages’ meaning. A masterly blend of mythology and modernity, Hag is a supremely satisfying novel.

Read full review: https://misanthropester.com/2018/04/2...

Chelsie
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Are the generations past still with us? This book was not my typical read, but it kept me interested. Generations of women from the same family line, trying to find their way back to the truth. Each one born comes a little closer than the last. Are we all just living parallel lines to each generation? Is it witchery or magic? I received a free arc from the publisher.
Laura Harris
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story of a family of women who seek to find a path to peace. I loved the title and as i read the book my definition of “Hag” changed to encompass something more positive, strong and independent that’s more in line with the Gaelic etymology. It’s a suspenseful story with the right length of chapters. Nothing too scary in the story and told from a female voice.
Bea Pires
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, galley
A book about tradition, family and magic. We accompanied the main characters in their story while also jumping back to all the women that came before them in a great tale about the inevitability of faith, the power of remembrance and the strength of mothers and daughters.

Read it all in one sitting and loved it!

I was given a DRC of this book by publisher via edelweiss+.
Patty Killion
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I absolutely loved this book!!

Do you love a mix of magical realism and historical fiction?

HIGH ABOVE THE SEA, HIDDEN IN THE ROCKY SCOTTISH CLIFFS, SOMETHING STIRS.

That's it....That's all I'm going to tell you...Read the book and enjoy the ride!!!
Katia Porter
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Never really seemed to get started. I liked the language and the promise of a story but it didn't entirely deliver.
Susanne Gulde
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a digital review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss.
I really enjoyed this book and found the story enchanting. I will be requesting this book for our library when it is released.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'You will know things that others do not, and they might fear you for it.'

Hag tells the story of a bloodline of women that hail from a Cailleach (a divine Hag of Scottish roots). Many generations come to pass, some in hiding from their abilities, others with the power to heal or harm. The common thread is the fear others feel, damning them for their powers, haunted by superstitions, marking them as evil. It spans the old world, and America as ea
Cindy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Kaufman's atmospheric novel takes its mood from foggy moors and craggy highlands. In Hag, Scotland is home to long lines of women with mystical and powerful energies, all waiting for one who will be the culmination of their destiny.

Call them what you will: hags, goddesses, witches--certain women have been endowed with mysterious and sometimes frightening gifts for centuries. Kaufman builds on the Gaelic myth of Cailleach, a divine hag. Cailleach bears daughters with powerful gifts, and
Dana
Carla
Nov 12, 2018
Allison Garrett
Nov 15, 2018
Kathleen Kaufman is a native Coloradan and long-time resident of Los Angeles, California. She is a University of Southern California alum, teaches high school English, and is a writing and composition adjunct professor at Santa Monica College. In addition to writing, Kathleen is an avid amateur photographer and has published work in The Huffington Post and other publications. When not writing, she ...more