Jump to ratings and reviews

The Parents' Guide to Climate Revolution: 100 Ways to Build a Fossil-Free Future, Raise Empowered Kids, and Still Get a Good Night's Sleep

Entertaining, inspiring, and science-sound climate activism for families wanting to "be the change" they want to see

360 pages, ebook

1 book4 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (2%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 26 of 26 reviews
Profile Image for Melissa Hart.
Author 52 books74 followers
November 26, 2019
This witty and inspiring book has changed my life. Through painstaking research and vivid anecdotes, Mary DeMocker illustrates the actions parents and children can take--big and small--to ensure a livable future for kids like my 12-year old daughter. After I read The Parents Guide to Climate Revolution, we started to walk instead of driving to school; we learned to live with one car, shared homegrown organic vegetables and eggs with our neighbors, and frequented thrift stores instead of purchasing new clothes . . . all creative and simple ways to live more lightly on the earth with optimism.

Even more important, we began to write letters to our public officials and march in environmental rallies, as DeMocker suggests. What a wonderful way to empower young people and model democracy in action. This book, with its short and entertaining chapters that can be read cover to cover or in random bits, gives busy parents like me just the kick in the pants I need to publicly protest our increasing reliance on fossil fuels in an educated and creative manner.
1 review
December 3, 2018
Within all the fear and feelings of helplessness around climate change and our future, this book is a friendly branch to grab on to. With it's well written, easy to digest chapters full of bite-sized ideas and doses of humor, it gives us all sense of "we can do this" Mary Democker provides us with clear steps, big and small, and paves the way to work action steps in to our busy lives. This book is not just for parents of small children but for anyone who wonders what they can do to turn the climate ship around.
1 review5 followers
December 23, 2019
This is a great book to understand what is happening with global warming and how affects our daily life.
Mary DeMockler is guiding us in her vision how parents can contribute to try to resolve a problem that effects all humans beings.
It's a book easy to read, especially for people who has not understand at all the problems that global warming affects.
I consider this book like a great guide to think how can we empower ourselves to start a change for the climate.
Also is great book to share with all the family .
October 30, 2019
This book has a brilliant balance of information and relatable stories, and everyone can take something from it- whether they are parents or not. There needs to be change in the politics of this country, and unless we make our voices heard there won't be much of it. This book is a wonderful source on how to get involved and make change both in our personal lives, and on a broader level- which is what we really need at this point. Read this book and let's power on to a brighter future!
Profile Image for Cheryl.
333 reviews2 followers
March 19, 2021
I interviewed the author of this book for an article so I wanted to read her book. I like how each chapter is only a page or two long. At the end of each chapter is a guide or action plan with concrete suggestions on how to implement the lessons learned. Some guides even offer a time frame like 5 times or 30 min while other guides are geared towards the age of the child. This book is an excellent resource for any family wanting to be more eco conscious.
2 reviews
December 3, 2018
Mary DeMocker's book is rife with practical ways people of all ages can work towards helping to stop our climate crisis. It isn't just for parents. It is for anyone of any age. Good for those taking a first step into changing their ways to help heal the earth and useful for seasoned activists. I give a two thumbs up! Great present, too!
October 26, 2019
Relevant, timely, expert advice in an age of overinformation and definite paralysis about how we can each contribute to the climate revolution in our own homes. Mary's advice is relatable and achievable, and offered with humor that makes it an excellent read. 10/10 would read again and have purchased for friends who NEED to read this.
November 7, 2019
This was a great book and a wonderful tool for helping families and anyone learn how to engage in politics, wherever you live. It's essential reading in this age of the climate crisis and it has do-able activities to engage in civics and the political discussion in creative and family-friendly ways. I highly recommend it!
1 review5 followers
February 21, 2020
Mary’s book is a great resource for parents, teachers and anyone who loves kids or cares about the future! Everyone who wants to empower both themselves and the children in their lives will benefit from reading this book. It will help anyone turn despairing thoughts into powerful actions. Share this book far and wide with everyone you know, and the world will be a better place because of you.
Profile Image for Judy.
956 reviews
June 23, 2018
This is fun! 100 ways to be a climate revolutionary from planting trees to changing your media diet - for kids, families, just about everybody. It's easy to read - short chapters and wonderful ideas. The author is from my hometown, Eugene, Oregon.
2 reviews1 follower
December 30, 2018
This book gives me tremendous hope in all my current overwhelming feelings of dismay for our country. I appreciate the time this author spent crafting a book that is perfect for any one who is concerned and wants to do something? Thanks for a great book. S. Rand
Profile Image for Jen.
5 reviews2 followers
August 3, 2019
I really enjoyed this book. It's packed with practical tips and referrals to other resources. The author is also candid and thoughtful in sharing her own experiences. The book is well organized and well written.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
Author 9 books85 followers
May 11, 2018
I wish this book had existed when my kids were young. Still useful though—good ideas on things everyone can do to make a difference.
1 review
September 8, 2018
Mary DeMocker tells it like it is. This book is sobering and inspiring, a must-read for anyone concerned about the well being of our children, future generations and our earth.
Profile Image for Liz.
592 reviews1 follower
July 10, 2019
Super important read for parents and teachers.
October 26, 2019
This is a must for parents--or anyone--who wants to reduce their carbon footprint while understanding why they should (hint: for future generations) without feeling overwhelmed!
Profile Image for Shannon Shea.
Author 1 book8 followers
July 9, 2020
A great guide that goes beyond the "easy" steps to take that have minimal impact into making major changes in your life and society that aren't just good for the Earth, but good for your family too.
Profile Image for Dakota Duncan.
Author 7 books4 followers
October 2, 2019
This is a book that everyone should read. Lots of really good, practical advice about dealing with climate change.
December 3, 2018
This is a highly informative and entertaining read about the most important issue that humanity has ever faced! Mary uses her humor and wit to spell out so many different ways to have a real impact on our planets future. I highly recommend this book to everyone who wants to do more, realizing that our government is not going to take care of business in time. It's really 'We the People' who have to step up, and this book is a GREAT way to do more every day.
1 review2 followers
December 3, 2018
Incredibly valuable! The book was so accessible. While it is chock full of important information and resources it is exceedingly practical and supportive not only in helping to heal our planet, but in creating a healthy family as well. Kudos to Mary for a brilliant book that operates on so many levels for the highest good of all.
Displaying 1 - 26 of 26 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.