Start by marking “Chasing Denali: The Sourdoughs, Cheechakos, and Frauds Behind the Most Unbelievable Feat in Mountaineering” as Want to Read:

The history of mountaineering began on Denali with the legendary story of four gold miners (called "Sourdoughs" because they carried sourdough starter with them at all times) who claimed to have summited after climbing more than 8,000 feet of steep snow and ice, then back down again--all in a single and incredibly dangerous day in 1910. Lugging a 25-pound, 14-foot flagpole ...more
Published November 1st 2018 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Denali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Denali

Start your review of Chasing Denali: The Sourdoughs, Cheechakos, and Frauds Behind the Most Unbelievable Feat in Mountaineering
Roxie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is not simply that I enjoyed meeting Jon Waterman at a reading at the Tattered Cover Aspen Grove, hearing him discuss what urged him to begin his trek up Denali in the footsteps of the four men (called Sourdoughs for reasons you will read in the book) who said they completed the climb in 1910 wearing home sewn, mattress ticking coats, fur moccasins, carrying hand axes, and no ropes, but it is also that the book's cover with its luminous picture of the mountain grabs you by the eyes, the sub t ...more
Robin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For those of us interested in adventure, but not very knowledgeable about climbers or the mountains they climb, this book seems a bit hard to follow. Maps of the climbing routes would have been very helpful. I tried to find online maps of Denali to help me follow the stories, but they were impossible for me to find - in enough detail to be able to understand the climbs. The lack of maps ruined this reading experience for me.
Jean Dupenloup
A solid, well-researched account of one of mountaineering’s most stunning feats.
The book tells the story of the Sourdoughs, four gold miners who, with no prior climbing experience, managed to haul a 14-foot flagpole to Denali’s unclimbed second summit (and lesser of the two.)
The reason? To win a bet with the locals.
This tale of daring-do and optimism verging on the naïve is a fine addition to the written history of North America’s highest peak.
Matt
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Waterman, but not quite the page turner that I experienced with “In the Shadow of Denali”. This book was a bit confusing with peoples names, dates, different expeditions, and mountain route references I had no knowledge of. I found myself wanting a map and an org chart to decipher. From a historical perspective I did learn some new things!
Jeff Smith
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great quick read, and it really delved into some of the myths surrounding the first ascents of Denali. There was a good balance of looking at everything that could have been possible, and still not simply accepting the stories as fact.
Kevin
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Difficult read--all over the place.
Keith
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject matter is interesting, but the writing is only ok. I am, however, inspired to bring donuts along on my next adventure.
Anna
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cold-books, gifts
Interesting story but a little hard to follow.
Barbara Austin
Mar 27, 2019
Jamie
May 06, 2019

• The Push: A Climber's Journey of Endurance, Risk, and Going Beyond Limits
  • Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
  • Alone on the Wall
  • Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains
  • Classic Krakauer: After the Fall, Mark Foo's Last Ride and Other Essays from the Vault
  • Buried
  • Climbing Everest: The Complete Writings of George Mallory
  • Accidents in North American Climbing 2019
  • The Martian Way and Other Stories
  • Wind, Sand and Stars
  • The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer
  • Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival