Start by marking “Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide” as Want to Read:
Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide

Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide

Beloved author Ami McKay is back, bringing us a magical follow-up in the tradition of Victorian winter tales to her mesmerizing bestseller, The Witches of New York .

During the nights between Christmas and New Year's, the witches of New York--Adelaide Thom, Eleanor St. Clair and the youngest, Beatrice Dunn--gather before the fire to tell ghost stories and perform
Hardcover, First Canadian Edition, 112 pages
Published October 16th 2018 by Knopf Canada

To ask other readers questions about Half Spent Was the Night, please sign up.
Maggie May I sure hope so! The author has a memoir coming out in September so maybe the next project will be a witches book. Fingers crossed !

Start your review of Half Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide
Erin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
*Scream* I had no idea that Ami McKay had even written a sequel to The Witches of New York until I stumbled upon it at the bookstore this morning. It's New Years Eve 1881 and Adelaide, Beatrice, and Eleanor are invited to a ball where they face their greatest enemies. It was delightful, but I want a proper sequel not a mere 92 page tease.
Colleen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
When a book that isn’t sad makes you cry at the end because it was so wonderful and too short and you already miss all the characters two seconds after reading the last word.

I loved Witches of New York and this follow-up novella was perfection except that now I am craving more. I really hope this isn’t the last time Ami visits these characters.

This novella actually tied up a couple of loose ends from Witches and revisits some things from The Virgin Cure.

I loved all the mythos and witchy stuff
Jennifer Gaarder
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read my reviews at http://www.jenchaosreviews.com

Half Spent Was the Night
Knopf Canada, October 18, 2018

112 Pages Hardcover Edition

From GoodReads: "Beloved author Ami McKay is back, bringing us a magical follow-up in the tradition of Victorian winter tales to her mesmerizing bestseller,The Witches of New York.

Wanda
A charming little novella, perfect for the days leading up to the New Year’s celebration. I was surprised at how long a waiting list there was for this book at my public library! I didn’t get my paws on it until late January, well into the New Year. But I still enjoyed this gentle little historical urban fantasy.

Lovely uses of British Isles mythology and some intrigue made it a worthwhile reading experience for me. I will definitely be willing to read the author’s The Witches of New York for the
Luanne Ollivier
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore Ami McKay's writing. I settled myself into my favourite reading chair with a cup of tea on a windblown night to read her latest - a novella entitled Half-Spent Was the Night: A Witches' Yuletide.

1881. This historical (and yes, magical) tale is wrapped around the three New York witches from the book of the same name. As the women are sat around the fire, divining what the New Year might hold, three invitations arrive for a New Year's Eve Masquerade Ball from a woman known to none of them.
Kathleen
This little book is best when read after The Witches of New York because we become acquainted with and learn the background of Adelaide Thom, Eleanor St.Clair and Beatrice Dunn who are main characters in both The Witches of New York and Half Spent Was the Night.
During the nights between Christmas and New Year's, the three witches gather before a fire to tell ghost stories and perform traditional Yuletide divinations. A series of messengers arrive bearing personal invitations for a New Year's
Pinar
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was this like a novella and I missed the memo? I had to double check to see that, yes, it is indeed the second book of Witches of New York series. Can’t believe how short it was especially for a $8.99 book. It was nice and dreamy, would be a great read for the Yuletide -that is, for one afternoon. I think it was misleading to label it as the second book of the series, however. It was more like a Christmas/New Year’s special story.
Rimpy Toor
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
"Christmas Day has come and gone, the New Year lies ahead. Strange things happen Between the Years, in the days outside of time. Minutes go wild, hours vanish. Idleness becomes a clever thief, stealing the names of the days of the week, muting the steady tick of watches and clocks. These are the hours when angels, ghosts, demons and meddlers ride howling wind and flickering candlelight, keen to stir unguarded hearts and restless minds."

I read The Witches of New York by Ami Mckay when it first
Tracey
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't really know what happened in this book. Some witches are sitting around chatting, having a good time. Then they go to a masquerade ball. Then somehow (view spoiler) I didn't read the first book, and didn't like the characters enough to read it in the future.
Diane Klajbor
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another delightful book about the three witches of New York. Even though it's very short, only 92 pages, the little novella packs in a lot of information and insight about Eleanor, Adelaide and Beatrice and their adversaries. My advice would be to read the first book, The Witches of New York, first, otherwise you might be lost and befuddled by the characters and what they are up against. I hope Ms. McKay will carry on the witches' stories in full length novels soon. I can't wait.
Anna (lion_reads)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun little one-sitting read. Perfect for a night under a blanket or by the fire. Loved seeing the characters from Witches of New York again. Hoping for a full-length sequel in 2019.
Sherry
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I’ve been so looking forward to a sequel to The Witches of New York, but at 92 pages, this novella was way too short! I loved it, but it really left me wanting more...otherwise this would’ve easily been a 5 star read.
James
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: james, hardcover

Witches of New York was one of my favorite reads from the past year, so ordering this follow-up novella was a no-brainer. Indeed, it made for a perfect December evening read. It has a cozy feel to it and a magic that reminds me of The Dark is Rising. My obvious complaint is that it's far too short. And I worry that the tying up of so many loose ends from Witches means no sequel? I hope I'm wrong. I want to see these characters again, hopefully many more times.
Shelley Gibbs
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful visit back to my favourite witches & creatures from the Witches of New York.
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I enjoyed this novella, but it picks up pretty much where The Witches of New York left off. Some preamble to refresh my memory would have been nice!
Rachel Tremblay
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Ami McKay’s writing, and while this was a fun story, I really don’t understand why she wrote a 92 page, teeny tiny book. It feels like a short story and for that, cannot possibly be considered a sequel.
It’s more like a cute, tiny blip and I’m like, uh, that’s it? Good yet utterly disappointing.
Ren (A Bookish Balance)
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-hardcopy
My only major critique of this was that it could have been longer, still have my fingers crossed for a full sequel.
Ebru
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perdu perdu perdu

Ami McKay does it again!! Be still my beating heart there’s more magic, predictions, mystery and my favourite three witches!!

Half Spent was the Night is a continuation of “The Witches of New York”, it’s written as a novella but it wraps the story up very nicely. I won’t lie, I quite enjoyed this book. This being said, it left me wanting more of this world and the characters. You know that feeling when someone lets you try a bite of their food, and all you want to do is to just
Gabrielle McDonough
The story was great! Love the witches, I just wish it was longer. I read it in one sitting. I was looking forward to a longer read.
Gaynor
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful pocket Victorian Yuletide read. It can either tantalize lovers of it’s prequel, or tantalize new readers into the ‘Witches of New York’. A great stocking stuffer idea too!!
Lauren Davis
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book in all possible ways... plus... recipes! The perfect book for a winter's eve, and if it's around Yuletide, well, all the better. Enjoy.
Anne Logan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who have read Ami McKay’s first book in this series of sorts, The Witches of New York, you will have undoubtedly devoured her latest, Half Spent Was the Night, which is billed as its sequel. Despite it being so short it packs in quite a bit, furthering the stories of our favourite witches, Eleanor, Beatrice and Adelaide.

The subtitle of this book is “A Witches Yuletide” which led me to read this just a few days before Christmas in hopes it would get me into the spirit of the
Alison C
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beatrice, Eleanor and Adelaide - the three Witches of New York - have been enjoying the holiday season, although they are surprised when each of them receives an invitation to a New Year’s Eve masked ball from a woman they have never met. Even more surprising, this woman provides the masks for her many guests! The ball is quickly the most sought-after invitation in town, but nobody who hasn’t already been invited can wrangle one, no matter their social standing. The three witches are intrigued, ...more
Cindy
The only thing I wish is that this was a longer story. I love these characters and I would read any book about them. As a Christmas novella this was a lovely little book. It was perfect for my flight over Christmas.

I keep hoping that Ami McKay will write another book about these characters though I'm sure that she has other things she probably wants to write.

You could read this book without reading The Witches of New York but you would get more out of it if you have read it first before this
Amanda
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up. This is an easy afternoon read that I will definitely reread in Decemeber. Ami McKay revisits my favorite sisters in this small novel and ties up some loose ends from the past. I found this book read differently than her other three novels and didn't have the same, slow "historical fiction type" feel, if that makes any sense. I really love her other stories and found this one was a little rushed. I really would have loved to revisit these characters in another whole novel. ...more
Nicole
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Ami McKay's writing and I loved Witches of New York, so I was excited when I found out there was a sequel. I enjoyed this book as I missed the characters and it was a simple quick read. I really enjoyed how McKay included some recipes in this book as well. However I was disappointed with the length, how rushed it felt and how quickly things were settled. I also feel like i was left with more questions than answerz and truly hope there is another sequel planned to come out soon.
Jill
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

This story is a wonderful winter fairytale filled with magic and warmth. Throughout the book you get to meet three witches as they prepare for a Yuletide ball. The atmosphere of the story is decadent, magical, and darkly sophisticated. I only wish it would have been a bit longer, but I was happy with the story all the same. It’s perfect for a cozy, wintertime read.
Susan
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely little story! It's so good to spend time with the three witches of New York again although this little appetizer has whetted my appetite for a full length sequel. I sincerely hope we get one!
Sue
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short volume follows the Yuletide celebrations of the three main characters in Witches of New York, also by Ami McKay. It was well-written, but I'm not ready to say goodbye to Adelaide, Beatrice, and Eleanor just yet. I do hope there's another book on the way.
Amanda
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A good quick read to catch up with the witches of New York.

• Trickster Drift
  • The Grimoire of Kensington Market
  • Moon of the Crusted Snow
  • Empire of Wild
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • Women Talking
  • Starlight
  • The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family
  • Glass Beads
  • The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter
  • The Witch's Kind
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz
AMI McKAY is the author of three bestselling novels–The Birth House, The Virgin Cure, and The Witches of New York—as well as the novella, Half Spent Was the Night. Her memoir, Daughter of Family G was named a CBC Best Book of 2019. McKay is also a playwright, composer, and essayist. Born and raised in the Midwest, she now lives in Nova Scotia.
“Christmas Day has come and gone, the New Year lies ahead. Strange things happen Between the Years, in the days outside of time. Minutes go wild, hours vanish. Idleness becomes a clever thief, stealing the names of the days of the week, muting the steady tick of watches and clocks. These are the hours when angels, ghosts, demons and meddlers ride howling wind and flickering candlelight, keen to stir unguarded hearts and restless minds.” 2 likes