Start by marking “Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia” as Want to Read:
Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia

Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia

Hesiod describes himself as a Boeotian shepherd who heard the Muses call upon him to sing about the gods. His exact dates are unknown, but he has often been considered a younger contemporary of Homer.

The first volume of this revised Loeb Classical Library edition offers Hesiod's two extant poems and a generous selection of testimonia regarding his life, works, and receptio
Published November 13th 2018 by Harvard University Press (first published -700)

To ask other readers questions about Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia

Start your review of Theogony. Works and Days. Testimonia
Francine Maessen
Keeping in mind that Loeb translations are mostly very literal translations, Works and Days was still very readable! It's just not all that interesting because not everything is relevant anymore. The whole "days" part didn't do that much for me, but the introduction was fenomenal! And the only time in literary history where it's not a cliché.
N Perrin
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amp
First among cosmologists, and quite the misogynist!
Steven Prelgovisk
Shines a light on the daily tasks, timing, and strategies needed to succeed in the ancient world; a refreshing change after reading a lot of history based on wars, kings, and their successors.
Erik Graff
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Westerners
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
I'd been meaning to read Hesiod since the freshman year of high school when we were subjected to Edith Hamilton's Mythology. Finally, being on summer break from Loyola University and having obtained a Loeb edition of the two major works attributed to him, I did so, sitting outside of Panini Panini, a local cafe which, with the Ennui, was one of my two major hangouts at the time.

Both the Theogony and Works and Days are, by any modern standards, incredibly boring. Still, being, with the Iliad, the
Steve Mihaylo
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Earliest Known Greek Text, and the earliest known Greek creation Myth. It is a must read for any person wanting to understand the Universal Creation Myths. This text is arguably part of the Dionysian Religion, which arguably is a Monotheistic Religion. The Universal God of the Dionysian Religion is known as Phanes, the Lord of Time / Fate. Read up on Dionysius and Orpheus to get deeper into this creation myth. Read further on the Eulusian Mysteries as well.
Lauren
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so Most translates "Chaos" as "Chasm" and has some fancy-pantsy explanation for it, but I don't buy it. Lessons learned--gods are animals, hybrids, monsters, and can do anything they damned well please. I couldn't really revel in the language; it is, after all, a litany.
Stephen
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cosmology in "Theogony" seems to pop up in full bloom for the Greeks, much like Athena popped out of Zeus's head, all courtesy of Hesiod, but are not so unlike what you find coming out of Mesopotamia with the "Enuma Elish" for which copies date back to the same time period in Babylon and Assyria as Hesiod's works, both roughly put in the 7th Century BC. Though the stories or mythology in the "Enuma Elish" date back easily a thousand years before in written form with the Akkadians and in oral ...more
Stephania
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Most's translation superb. It gave me the impression of deep-diving into linguistic structures and trying to uncover what has been transformed throughout the centuries. I personally really liked the choice of translating χάος as chasm, though it's a hot issue whenever I find myself amongst classicists' discussions.
Isaac Soon
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know what a Greek creation story is like go no further than Hesiod’s theogony.
H T
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most boring of the epic Greek works. Translation seems quality though
Will Schumer
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes Homer look like a bitch
elliot
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loeb rules because it gives you the archaic greek alongside the translation, so I could pretend I was reading the original when I was in public. . .Hesiod was the best-seller back in the early first millenium B.C.E., so he knows what he's doing. Hesiod's work is "a triumph...magnificent!"
Joseph
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than Bullfinch: Go to the source. Can't believe I waited until now to read these. (Can't comment on the quality of the translation as I can't read the original Greek.)
Tobias
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combination of how the Greeks saw the creation of the world plus ethical and practical instructions. Works and Days has certain echoes of Jewish texts, interestingly.
Ali
Lydia
Oct 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Prometheus Bound
  • The Cambridge Companion to Early Greek Philosophy (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy)
  • History of the Peloponnesian War
  • Hesiod's Cosmos
  • The Revolt of the Elites and the Betrayal of Democracy
  • If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
  • Stonehenge Decoded
  • Ages in Chaos: A reconstruction of ancient history from the Exodus to King Akhnaton (Ages in Chaos series, #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • Early Greek Science: Thales to Aristotle
  • Common Sense Nation: Unlocking the Forgotten Power of the American Idea
  • Reclaiming Common Sense: Finding Truth in a Post-Truth World
  • Moses and Monotheism
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
Hesiod, the father of Greek didactic poetry, probably flourished during the 8th century BC. Hesiod's earliest poem, the famous Works and Days, and according to Boeotian testimony the only genuine one, embodies the experiences of his daily life and work, and, interwoven with episodes of fable, allegory, and personal history, forms a sort of Boeotian shepherd's calendar. The other poem attributed to ...more