Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
You’ll never forget your first…

Brandon Townsend and Zachary Sherman were best friends and next-door neighbors. Growing up together in a cozy suburban town in New Jersey, they were inseparable and thought nothing could tear them apart. Then one night something happened between them, something that brought them even closer together…

They didn’t anticipate that what began as y
Published 2008

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Jacq
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dammm deep a wonderful story.
T.A. Webb
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandon and Zachary have been best friends from the time they were two years old, with their families being close also. Once the two become teens, they discover they have feelings for each other that transcend friendship. As the two become closer and explore the love between them, and plan on a future together, forces outside their control intervene.

This is the story of how they love, lose each other, and reconnect.

Very well written, emotionally true to the characters, and very touching on many
Lauri James
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-favs
This is a sweet story of self discovery between two life long friends and next door neighbors Brandon and Zachary. They have explored each others bodies and have fallen in love. Both seniors in high school planning on attending college together. They both tempted fate too much while on vacation sharing a room Zach's violent homophobic father sees them an proceeds to beat Zach. It's so heartbreaking. Zach's family moves away and Brandon never finds out where he went. Until Brandon goes to Boston ...more
Nichole (Dirrty H)
7/4: This book ended up being kind of sweet. It was better than Secrets and Misdemeanors - it wasn't quite so ridiculous. I just wish Hauser had a better feel for the way real people actually talk and act. I spent most of the book thinking 'No one talks like that! No one would ever say that! No one's mom is like that except maybe in the 40's!'

7/3:
I'm on page 4, and so far the same 17 year old boy has said the following: "I love baseball. It's such a cool sport. I'm sorry it's almost over." and "
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
3.5 Stars~
"Soul Mates~ My Favorite! This Book Has Many Sweet Spots~
"
Elisa Rolle
I always love G.A. Hauser's books, they are easy to read and very romantic, with a "acid" side, it's not easy to explain, but her romances are never too sugary, since there is always a bit of naughty side in her characters.

The Boy Next Door is a coming of age book. I didn't expect that a great part of the book is dedicated to the relationship between Brandon and Zach when they where stil two teens in heat. Brandon and Zach always live next door, and since they were one years old, everything they
Charly
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet idea, but lacks any real depth

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- The two main guys are sweet, the circumstances under which they fall in love are sweet, their reunion is sweet, etc.
- I had to laugh at the antics of two high school boys figuring out sex for the first time. They progress in realistic stages, I think, and they’re simultaneously tentative and enthusiastic, which I found endearing as all get out.
- I liked how easy the guys
Marina
It was a sweet book. I liked the plot idea. The pool and the swimsuits were great.

I had issues with the dialogue and maturity levels of the characters. The things they said sometimes felt so out of place and young. In the first part, they didn't seem like they were about to graduate. More like they were 14. Make-out parties? Spurt? (I've never even read that word in a story in this context). They seemed far too young and their parents way old fashioned.

Then later on, at 27, I though Zach was fa
jules0623
Lidia
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book I particularly liked the delicacy and simplicity with which the writer has treated the relationship of the two young protagonists, friendship, their attraction, the ingeniutà that accompanied the discovery of their bodies and their feelings. It 'was natural and immediate rooting for Brandon but Zachary earned his points when he renounced everything rediscovering his lover.
Suraj
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this. Was a sweet romantic story. Brandon and Zachary were really close and always had been. It could have been understood that their parents separated them, which was the touching part. But fate brought them together, which was a nice bright rebuild of the story brought about by Ms. Hauser.
Kari Gregg
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
The real story is the first 2/3 of the book, which goes over the characters' evolving relationship & experimentation as boys. The final third, when we meet the characters again as adults, seemed superfluous. I didn't connect (re-connect?) with the characters and the issues they faced as adults were resolved way too quickly to be believable for me.
Readingspree joseph
Starting this book i had high expectations but as it progressed i just got bored and didn't feel like reading it. But out of my compulsion for finishing books i started i did finish it and found that the book was worth reading after all. A sweet happily ever after book.
Janie
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
This was a very good book! One minute the author has me all worked up and excited and the next in total awe of whats just happened. G.A. Hauser is another great author to read if you LOVE m/m romance books like I do. Definitely recommend this book. And who doesn't love a H.E.A.?
Shawnie Nicole
I would have left Zach. But that's just me I guess.
Dee
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice book i find it one of Hausers better story's.
Alex Hahn
I liked that it had the before and after and showed their love mature more and more.
Erotic Horizon
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Boy Next Door by G. A. Hauser (2008)
Anna
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, m-m-hits
this was a sweet story...had a good flow...both protagonists were easy to fall in love with....
Mike
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, but I'll gush over others.
Abby
Kathy
Nov 09, 2009
TayaJay
Oct 16, 2012
Got Men? by G.A. Hauser Kicks Off Logical-Lust's New M/M Line 1 2 Apr 29, 2010 06:42AM
  • Nothing Ever Happens
  • A Helping Hand (Tennessee Cops, #2)
  • Man Candy (Candy, #1)
  • The Perfect Cover
  • The Happy Onion
  • Hot Ticket - A Serving Love Story
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Sex, Lies, and Celluloid
  • Sex With Lex
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Between Friends (Between Friends, #1)
  • My Father's Lover
  • A Promise Kept (Promise, #1)
  • Broken Boundaries
  • Jumping the Fence (OC Pride, #1)
  • Cutting Cords (Cutting Cords, #1)
  • Snowed In
  • The Wolfe Proxy (Southern Beaus #2)
About the Author Award-winning author G.A. Hauser was born in Fair Lawn, New Jersey, USA and attended university in New York City. She moved to Seattle, Washington where she worked as a patrol officer with the Seattle Police Department. In early 2000 G.A. moved to Hertfordshire, England where she began her writing in earnest and published her first book, In the Shadow of Alexander. Now a full-time ...more
More about G.A. Hauser...