Start by marking “Return to Dyatlov Pass” as Want to Read:
Return to Dyatlov Pass

Return to Dyatlov Pass

In 1959, nine Russian students set off on a skiing expedition in the Ural Mountains. Their mutilated bodies were discovered weeks later. Their bizarre and unexplained deaths are one of the most enduring true mysteries of our time.

Nearly sixty years later, podcast host Nat McPherson ventures into the same mountains with her team, determined to finally solve the mystery of t
Published March 12th 2018 by Severed Press

To ask other readers questions about Return to Dyatlov Pass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Dyatlov Pass

Kimberly
RETURN TO DYATLOV PASS, by J.H. Moncrieff, is an incredibly realistic historical-fiction, horror novel. The basis for this is the 1959 "Dyatlov Pass incident"--a true, unsolved mystery in which nine Russian skiers died in the Ural Mountains. Their bodies were found weeks later, inexplicably mutilated, and their deaths were never explained . . .

"That story has always bugged me. Did you know it's been almost sixty years, and they still have no idea what happened to those people? . . . "

Nat McPh
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Return to Dyatlov Pass hooked me pretty quickly, and kept me interested clear to the end. I liked the characters I was supposed to like, and probably hated that one character more than I rightly should have. And that ending. THAT ending. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that!

Source: KU
The Grim Reader
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Grim Reader certainly does enjoy a dark horror tale set in an unforgiving and cold country. Return to Dyatlov Pass sees a podcaster assemble a team to investigate the disappearance of a group of skiers. Much was made about this true and rather odd event in 1959 where most of the findings remain inconclusive. I though J H Moncrieff did a great job in setting up a gory slice of historical horror fiction. The characters are all interesting and the feeling of isolation runs deep. The fate of the ...more
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
You can tell from the title obviously that this book is based on the Dyatlov Pass incident that occurred on February 2, 1959. I'm embarrassed to say though, I had never heard of it until I started reading this book then I searched and read everything I could find about it. It's a very interesting story and does make you wonder. There's quite a few theories floating around but the events in this book match the evidence so perfectly, you'll start believing in the unbelievable by the time you finis ...more
Chris Brogden
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her best one yet!

The inexplicable deaths at Dyatlov Pass are one of history’s most intriguing mysteries, as no explanation has ever made sense—until now. Once again, Moncrieff succeeds in crafting a beautifully written story that’s heavy on action, drama, excitement, suspense, and all that awesome fast-paced stuff you’d expect from a book like this. But the genius of her writing—and what you rarely find in this genre—are characters so heartbreakingly real you’d swear they aren’t even characters
Jen (Book Den)
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Return to Dyatlov Pass follows a podcaster and a team of people trying to learn what really happened to students who died up in the mountains.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the true events of Dyatlov Pass. I feel like I'm missing out a bit by not having my own theories to compare against what happened in Return to Dyatlov Pass. This was a fun read, though. Any which way you look at it, I enjoy a good monster story, and I had fun reading this one.

My only complaint regarding Return to Dyatlov Pass wa
Catherine Cavendish
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The true events surrounding the unexplained and violent deaths of nine ski hikers, killed in the Ural Mountains of Russia in the winter of 1959 have inspired a number of books and films, all seeking to provide the answer to one question. What happened? Now, Canadian author, J.H. Moncrieff, inspired by this story, has sued it as a basis of a suspenseful, thrilling and gripping novel of a group of characters who set out, well equipped with supplies, and members possessing the range of skills they ...more
Emily
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Return to Dyatlov Pass was a very fun read! I've been trying to read more horror books by women, and this one was a solid choice.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident is such a fascinating story, and I loved reading about it in a horror story setting. This book is about a podcast who goes to the area to try to figure out what happened, and obviously shit goes down.

There were some strange interactions between men and women in the group, and it was a little off-putting, but not anything too distracting.

I en
Eddie Generous
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review

Listen to an interview with author: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/u...

In the snowy Ural Mountains, trouble took a group of nine, mangling their bodies and leaving a mystery. In the present, a podcast host seeks the challenge, alongside a team of professionals, mostly, and heads for Russia.
The setup is intriguing from the onset, even for me, someone who’d never heard of Dyatlov Pass incident. I won’t delve into the case here because it has nothing to do with the boo
Russell James
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A group of adventurers tries to solve a decades old mystery of what befell a similar expedition in the Ural Mountains. Death soon follows and this story of survival against a savage, unknown species never lets up. A claustrophobic, gripping horror thriller filled with layered characterization and a tight plot. Read it in a warm place because the winter scenes will certainly give you chills. J. H. Moncrieff has penned another winner.
Dixie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
have been interested in Dyatlov Pass and it's history for quite a while, so when I saw this book I bought it. OMG. I loved it. have never read this author before but am going to get all her stuff. it was an awesome read and the outcome was jaw dropping. did not expect that ending. OMG. Do yourself a favor and read it. you won't regret it.
Ryan
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers here.

I don't usually get frightened by fiction, but this story honestly had me going. The tension builds so slowly, so effectively, that I was pulled in and couldn't stop reading. Once things really started to go wrong, and the body count rose, I was terrified.

Once again, J.H Moncrieff hits it out of the park.
Mary Aalgaard
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great, intense tale by J.H. Moncrieff. This time, an exploration party, led by Nat McPherson, relives the terror experienced by a group of Russians 50 years prior, as she seeks to uncover the mystery of their tragic exploration. With nods to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" and mythical lore, Moncrieff spins her own web of horror on the Russian mountainside, in the Dyatlov Pass. This story is not for the feint of heart. Moncrieff doesn't hold back on the details. She does a t ...more
Caitlin
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Dyatlov Pass has churned out so many additional stories, as people grapple with understanding what truly happened there to cause the deaths of so many people, in such an inexplicable way. Some of these stories are told rather well, while others are just rehashed versions of not knowing what happened and not coming up with their own unique take.

Luckily, this book is very much the first, and is told incredibly well! A group of experts, either athletic skiers, climbers, or hunters, ar
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Wowowow, Return to Dyatlov Pass is a scary read. Considering the novel is based on the Dyatlov Pass incident in 1959—when nine experienced skiers died mysterious deaths in the Ural Mountains—this was expected. From the beginning, J.H. Moncrieff (author of City of Ghosts, which won the 2018 Kindle Book Review Award for best Horror/Suspense) sets the mood of the story with the horrifying first chapter set in 1959 before jumping to modern times to introduce us to Nat McPherson, a podcast host who e ...more
Valerie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was good!! Creatures, adventures, horror, blood and guts, it has it all!! I throughly enjoyed this!!
Nikki
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cold physically hurts me so reading this story set in the Ural Mountains had me shivering! So often, any type of story involving mystery (especially a mystery based on a true story) gives away too much. J.H. has struck the perfect balance of giving you enough rope for your imagination to hang itself. Too often, monsters are painted in excessive detail, leaving nothing to the imagination and taking away that fear of the unknown that is the greatest fear known to man. The characters are well-d ...more
Anders Haywood
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun, suspenseful thriller!

This was a great book (novella?). The characters were interesting and felt real while the story had a lot of suspense. If you like character driven (possible) cryptid stories, you'll definitely like this one.
Christine
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J.H. Moncrieff has once again written a suspense-filled thriller that kept me reading late into the night unable to put it down until I got to the end! Return to Dyatlov Pass is literally chilling, as Moncrieff makes us feel as though we are transported to the icy setting of the story, constantly keeping us guessing until the very end who the true villain is.

J.H. accurately depicts the tragic historical details of the Dyatlov Pass mystery through the characters who experience the terrifying exp
Curtis
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been digging Severed Press for a while now. I dig the publication because they publish some of my favorite authors. They have a great selection of books and they are relatively inexpensive. I love a great creature feature, too. This is my first time reading J.H. Moncrieff. I know I say "this is my first time reading authors" quite a bit, but it's true. I haven't been reviewing very long. With that being said, let's get to this review.

First off, I would like to point out the awesome cover.
Liralen
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Return to Dyatlov Pass takes an old and well-chewed-over mystery and gives it a supernatural twist.

If you don't know the true story, it's worth a look at the Wikipedia article at least. The very short version: in February 1959, nine experienced trekkers died in the Russian mountains under mysterious circumstances: their tent slashed open from the inside, hiking down the mountain without shoes in the middle of the night...how they died is more or less known (cold/exposure for some, traumatic inju
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

First off, I would like to point out the awesome cover.
Nevs
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Three Stars for Return to Dyatlov Pass, but honestly I still don’t know how I feel about it.

J.H Moncrieff is wonderful at setting the scene. A frigid mountain in more ways than one. Not only did some passages make me feel physically chilled, but the tension was so raw and real I found myself jumping at the slightest sound. The enemies are frighteningly real & creepy too.
She also keeps you on the edge of your seat because you just don’t know who to trust!

Considering this book puts some of
Lizzy
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I confess that I've always been obsessed with the Dyatlov Pass Incident. I mean who wouldn't want to know what REALLY happened??? When I purchased this book, I had not read anything by this author previously and knew I was taking a chance. This book was such a roller coaster ride! It's well written, had me hooked at the beginning, and was terrifying. Just a side note: I annoyed my husband greatly by reading it in bed until about 2 am when I finished it. Then every single time I heard a noise, I ...more
Jessica George
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creepy & quick read!

I love unsolved mysterious, especially those that are true or reality-based. Dyatlov Pass has always been fascinating. This book was great, I thought the villain was something specific, changed my mind twice and ended up back at my original conclusion. Recommend this, love the intensity and read it in one day, since I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without knowing the ending. The last page was a total surprise!
Steve Stred
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read!

This was a fun thriller, set in a fantastic place. If you dont know any of the back story of Dyatlov Pass, dont let that prevent you from reading this!

The characters are intriguing and engaging!

My only negative about this story - it felt very rushed in places. I think if it was another 50 pages longer, to allow some of the scenes to play out a bit more, this would be a 5 star read!
Mildred Fontanez
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keeps one interested!

Good plot. Of course, with the storyline about a true, ill-fated expedition, will we ever know what really happened? The author keeps the story interesting with a diverse set of characters and how they interact with each other. A "what could have been" story that is very believable.
Stephen
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It uses the Dyatlov Pass incident as a backdrop for a second go around at the event. The premise is that a descendant of one of the original victims bullies a tv crew into doing a "Solve the Dyatlov Pass" episode... Things go poorly.
Robin Akin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Loved this, a great survival novel. Will the group return from Dead Mountain? I would like to see a sequel!
Sherrie Lynn Grimes
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good

This book was one of the better stories of Bigfoot books it was good from the start to the end
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Underdwelling
  • The Boat
  • Arrival (The Black #2)
  • Leviathan
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Extinct
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • Cryptid Zoo
  • Savages
  • Realm of Beasts (Legend of the Nameless One, #1)
  • Swamp Monster Massacre
  • The Switch House
J.H. Moncrieff's City of Ghosts won the 2018 Kindle Book Review Award for best Horror/Suspense.

Her work has been described by reviewers as early Gillian Flynn with a little Ray Bradbury and Stephen King thrown in for good measure.

She won Harlequin's search for “the next Gillian Flynn” in 2016. Her first published novella, The Bear Who Wouldn’t Leave, was featured in Samhain’s Childhood Fears colle
“She screamed. She was still screaming when her tongue was torn out, along with the inside of her mouth.” 1 likes