Start by marking “Found in the Street” as Want to Read:
Found in the Street

Found in the Street

When Ralph Linderman returns a stranger's wallet he found during a morning stroll through Greenwich Village, he is entirely unprepared for the complex maze of sexual obsession and disturbing psychological intrigue he is about to be drawn into.

Patricia Highsmith, author of 'The Tremor of Forgery', 'Strangers on a Train', and 'The Cry of the Owl' has once again created an u
Published March 31st 1994 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Found in the Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found in the Street

Start your review of Found in the Street
Debbie Zapata
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturdaymx
A couple of years ago I first heard of Patricia Highsmith and wanted to sample at least one of her titles. When I went on a used-book-buying-frenzy around that time, this was the one that caught my eye.

I had no expectations, other than perhaps creepiness and suspense, based on what I had read about the author and her other works. I see that some reviewers were disappointed and others were bored, but I never was.

The creepiness starts right off the bat when we meet a then unnamed blond girl on a
Bruce Beckham
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
They say a watched pot never boils. Of course, if you stare for long enough it does – but the tipping point can be tricky to spot. Such is the subtle crescendo of many of Patricia Highsmith’s suspense novels – then the heat gradually diminishes, and in time the surface grows calm.

Jack is a commercial artist who loses his wallet in a New York street. It is found and returned (contents and cash intact) by an older local man, Ralph, a loner who is marked out as slightly kooky from the outset, his c
Jennifer B.
Meh. I really wanted to read Patricia Highsmith and this was the first book of hers I was able to stumble upon. Found at a charity book sale, I decided to give it a chance even though the blurb on the back cover really didn't interest me. Turns out my instinct was correct. Slow and boring, and about artsy types. I don't particularly like books about artsy types, as the books are capable of being perhaps even more pretentious than the people they are portraying. Add to that the characters in this ...more
Jonathan
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so wanted this to be a five star read, and it very nearly was, but there were a couple of things that let it down. The book is one of Patricia Highsmith's last novels, released in 1987, and unlike many of her books, which cannot escape a feeling of the 1950s, it is clearly set in the time in which it was written. It also has a lesbian relationship central to the main plot, something not seen (if I remember rightly) since Carol/The Price Of Salt. although this does lead us down a dark path. The ...more
Joanne
Oct 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Here is a sentence from this sad effort: "When he HAD become 18, and HAD gone to college for a while, he HAD realized his mother's limitations, and then he HAD decided to accept her as she was, and to do his duty by her also , when his father HAD died." Emphasis mine. On that page HAD was used 25 times.
Everyone in this book should have been smacked upside the head, and Patricia and her editors too.
Cath
Jul 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
during the book I was always waiting for something to actually happen and by the end I just wanted to finish the last pages to get it over with. it was well written but I couldn't relate to the characters (only liked jack and I think it perhaps I'm biased with artistic people) and all the story just didn't seem to have any direction, can't really explain it.
Gina Rheault
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
New York City, 1980's, nice, artsy, low-rise neighborhood with corners stores and regulars. So we get a very detailed portrait of five regulars in the neighborhood along with wisps of their outside the neighborhood lives. Think of the little world of Rear Window where the neighbors become characters in a drama. I thought of Richard Price describing the same streets, but arriving early on with a crime, and the rest of the story denouement. I thought of Stephen King's patient detailing of characte ...more
Chon
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
2.5

Not poorly written but I was expecting to be wrenched off the ground and writhing in sick pains and agony from an inescapable situation...what a strange feeling reading this after 'Eleven.'

I never liked pretentious relationships and so-called bohemians anyway. I think it's because I'm envious.

Ralph could have had more airplay. I preferred his eccentricities to the gushings of artsy yuppie types having classy parties.

Ripley series:
4* The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1)
4* Ripley Under Ground (Ripley, #2)
4* Ripley's Game (Ripley, #3)
3* The Boy Who Followed Ripley (Ripley, #4)
4* Ripley Under Water (Ripley, #5)
4* The Mysterious Mr Ripley (Ripley #1-3)

4* The Cry of the Owl
TR The Glass Cell
TR The Two Faces of January
Allen
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
A steaming pile...of bad writing. 2D characters who do nothing but say vacuous things, as well as long winded descriptions of nothingness. No suspense as the book jacket implies. Highsmith seems to garner a lot of praise, and I'm sorry I read this because I can't see reading anything else by this author again.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not her best...skip it, I'd say.
Highsmith sometimes has a clunky style, and it's very apparent here. Also, I was living in NYC when I read it and Highsmith's New York didn't ring true, written as it was, years after she'd lived there, from her home in Switzerland or France.
Barbara Nutting
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Considering Ms Highsmith was a lesbian she is certainly intolerant of others. She disparages Jews, blacks and Italians throughout the book. Maybe that was her way of getting back at a world where she was not wholly accepted either.

This is a very strange peek into the world of homosexuals. It was probably a bit shocking in 1986 but is pretty ho hum in this day and age. The characters were all very foreign to me, their actions, thoughts and words. What a mixed bag.

As usual, it was well written, sh
Judy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A really weirdo book. It's a testimony to the writer's skill that I finished the book. Ralph is a delusional stalker and busybody who fabricates scenarios and makes peoples lives miserable. We also have a 'cosmopolitan' couple with affectations. And a lesbian fall gal to take a rap. Oy ! btw if you have a 'Ralph' in your life, run don't walk to your nearest bookstore and get the book
"The gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.
Roberto
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haha I feel like Patricia Highsmith was just messing with me that whole time. I won't say why because it might be spoilery, but Pat I salute you. Really page-turnery and had a great Eighties feel...in a way, I don't get this novel at all, but weirdly that bewilderment made it far more interesting than if it had been the same old tropey stalker-noir that I was expecting.
Dan Downing
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One might come to Patricia Highsmith expecting a mystery or a thriller or...something not quite on target.
Certainly "Found in the Street" falls outside those categories. "A Novel of Suspense" might describe it. But Highsmith works a magic with her words, creating an atmosphere of menace without using any of the usual tools. No financial empires at risk, no thugs lurking, no violence on the side.
First published in Great Britain in 1986 and a year later in the U.S., "Found in the Street" is today
Micebyliz
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a good murder mystery but it turned out to be rather flat. I was disappointed because it seemed like a good premise and had a good beginning. Didn't give a hoot for the characters either. Even the "villain" was not that interesting. I kept reading thinking it would get better.
Gina
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this when it was first published in 1986 and remember finding it rather chilling. On this second read I found it considerably less chilling but extremely well crafted. A sophisticated and wealthy young couple with broad sexual horizons take up a young girl new to New York, and try to protect her from an older man who is fixated on her.
Tosh
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Another creepy novel by the great Highsmith that made my skin crawl away and hide under the bed. But god knows what kind of horror you'll find under the bed. And like under the bed, Highsmith can take an innocent action and make it into a gateway to pure hell.
Bo Trapnell
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny how progressive this book must have been when it was written. Without quite knowing the plot of the book, I found myself reading some pretty mundane daily living accounts until three-quarters through the book.
Roger
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent exploration of the psyche of two men and women fascinated and in love with a lively young girl.
David
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Patricia's lesbian observations are her main concerns here. She has broadened my perspective on the concerns of this minority. I have become more sensitive to the position they are in, mainly due to having read Highsmith's books.

Another concern expressed in this novel and a few others of hers is her anger at people who meddle in other people's lives. Another is the false assumptions that ignorant people have about others. She attacks both groups, which often comprise one group, head on.

Found...
Juls
Oct 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Paul
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
A second or third reading. This is human, character-driven semi-suspense of the highest order. Highsmith has captured a married couple and their friends in Manhattan in great detail. No mere thriller, no mere entertainment -- this is why Highsmith was the first author whose novels I felt compelled to read in entirety.
Mariana
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
I liked the overall slice-of-life feel of the narrative, with not much driving the action forward but simple moments in the life of the protagonist. Still, the ending was a bit strange and unexpected, so I ended up feeling a bit disappointed with the direction some of the characters' stories took as consequence. It's a fun light read but I'm not sure how much I'd recommend it.
Nicholas Story, solicitor
Another great Highsmith effort.

This was one of her last, but her touch was as sure as ever: a twisted take on the every day, an innocent encounter, and an escalation that takes us in all sorts of unexpected directions.

A great holiday read and highly recommended.
Quinn da Matta
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be Patricia Highsmith’s most unsuccessful novel. Also, her most bitter — you can almost feel the anger and disdain for people on every page — and it’s that palpable feeling that prevents any bonds forming with the characters. In essence, it’s a thriller without any thrills.
John Sargent
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
What's not to like about Highsmith? Interesting plot with good characters
Nicholas Rathbone
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love Patricia Highsmith, but this was a very poor effort. Most noticeably, she forgot to include a plot
Jeremy Hornik
Atmosphere but couldn’t hold my attention. Brought it back to the library instead.
Rose417
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I kept waiting for some twists that would catch me by surprise; but it never happened. I don't know why this was classified as a mystery.

• Frappe-toi le cœur
  • The Time of Indifference
  • The Master of Go
  • Pack Zafón Booket (La Sombra del Viento + El Juego del Ángel)
  • The Horse's Mouth
  • Living, Thinking, Looking: Essays
  • Oh What a Paradise It Seems
  • Tetralogía El Cementerio de los Libros Olvidados (pack)
  • La casa de las bellas durmientes
  • Locos Egregios (Alternativa)
  • Migrations
  • Beast In View
  • Calderón de la Barca: La vida es sueño
  • Lope de Vega Fuenteovejuna
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • Mischief
  • The Grifters
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist who is known mainly for her psychological crime thrillers which have led to more than two dozen film adaptations over the years.

She lived with her grandmother, mother and later step-father (her mother divorced her natural father six months before 'Patsy' was born and married Stanley Highsmith) in Fort Worth before moving with her parents to New York in