Start by marking “Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership

Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership

A BUSINESS INSIDER BEST BOOK

"With Applied Empathy, Michael Ventura shows us how to unlock our ability to design solutions, spark innovation, and solve tough challenges with empathy at the center."—Arianna Huffington

Michael Ventura, entrepreneur and CEO of award-winning strategy and design practice Sub Rosa, shares how empathy—the ability to see the world through someone else’s ey
Published May 22nd 2018 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Applied Empathy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Applied Empathy

Start your review of Applied Empathy: The New Language of Leadership
Tina Panik
Michael Ventura is the Brene Brown of empathy. This wholistic approach to company culture, advertising, and personal responsibility will change—and motivate—workforces everywhere. An extremely well organized and helpful book.
Michelle
Although many of us are more connected than ever before, empathy in today's workplace seems to be sadly lacking. This, and other books on empathy, have been hitting a nerve and drawing interest. Overall, the book is helpful in considering how to better apply empathy in business settings in order to achieve individual and collective benefits. However, it is wrought with Venn diagrams and (some) already outdated organizational case studies. For instance, the discussion of GE's healthcare division ...more
Vanessa
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This would be a great book for TEAM RWB bookclub and for training events. So much of what RWB is trying to do.
Rozana AlBanawi
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must read for people in business, start ups, design, organizational development.

It really looks at leadership development from the perspective of understanding, aka, empathy! Which is crucial to identifying needs and therefore meeting those needs for the people we are serving/helping.

I love the audible version, Michel narrates it himself!
It’s also a light read, a lot of stories and case studies make it easy to comprehend and follow. My favorite one is the case study about mammogra
Hemlet Kiai
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mylibrary
empathy. something that i sometimes lack when there are so many things in my mind. and i just want to get the tasks done. if i want to empathize i need to let go of my ego. my bias. not easy but it can be done. i just need to take time to slow down my thoughts. to filter the noise. a great book on how i can apply empathy in my life. in the office. something which is used in design thinking.
Chase Andre
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than a business book, Applied Empathy articulates empathy as an asset to the empath, and not a mere moral obligation to good [citizenry/business/neighborliness]. Too often, I see empathy used as a goad, but this is a well-penned invitation to a higher, and more effective plain.

The focus on empathy in sales is a welcomed shift from a Monroe-like emphasis in "creating desire" and other old school persuasion styles that often emphasize the worst in our collective selves — fear, anxiety, greed
Rachel
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexei Orlov
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a simple and honest book to read that reminds us about the obvious that we all too often forget about. To say you are a citizen of humankind you have to be both human…and kind… by having sensibility and understanding of others.
Mackenzie
I love how this one started because I love theory and applied stories. This book is a great tool book, especially if you want to apply the Sub Rosa methods yourself. Valuable insight, but nothing that was too new or challenging for me.
Erick Laparra
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!

I've worked in advertising for 17 years and this book has given me such a fresh look on what can still be done. Wonderful!
Dave
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice retrospective of Michaels career and insight into the perspective his company takes to create successful projects.
Andrea
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Framework and reason for bringing empathy to your work and life. Powerful and practical.
James Demarco
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
A very refreshing read. Touches on something critical in a world of increasing transparency.
LaryssaQ
May 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • How to Be a Great Boss
  • Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Breakthrough System to Get More Results, Faster, in Every Area of Your Life
  • Speal: A David and Goliath Story
  • Permanent Record
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Leadership—Love It or Leave It: Choosing for Yourself When the World Says Climb
  • War and Peace and IT: Business Leadership, Technology, and Success in the Digital Age
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • The Disciplined Mind: Develop Mental Toughness, Strengthen Your Willpower, and Control Your Thoughts.
  • Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
  • Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls
  • Empowering Yourself: The Organizational Game Revealed
  • Performance-Focused Smile Sheets: A Radical Rethinking of a Dangerous Art Form
  • The Unlimited Self: Destroy Limiting Beliefs, Uncover Inner Greatness, and Live the Good Life
  • The Like Switch: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Influencing, Attracting, and Winning People Over
  • Elevate: Push Beyond Your Limits and Unlock Success in Yourself and Others
Michael Ventura is the author of WE'VE HAD A HUNDRED YEARS OF PSYCHOTHERAPY AND THE WORLD'S GETTING WORSE (with James Hillman) and LETTERS AT 3A.M.--REPORTS ON ENDARKENMENT. THE ZOO WHERE YOU'RE FED TO GOD is the first book of a trilogy titled THE TIGER, THE ROCK AND THE ROSE. Ventura has also embarked on a series of novels about Las Vegas. He divides his time between Austin and Los Angeles.