Start by marking “The Cards of Chaos: A Novella” as Want to Read:
The Cards of Chaos: A Novella

The Cards of Chaos: A Novella

Fifteen-year-old Cebina Beckstrand is selected in a ritual drawing to be sacrificed to a shadowy being known only as the Jackal, who dwells somewhere in the wintry wilderness outside her small village. She expects, based on rumors, to be devoured by this creature, or worse—but the fate that awaits her is far stranger than she could have imagined. Who is the Jackal? Why doe ...more
Published March 11th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Cards of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cards of Chaos

Ross H
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare fantasy novels (other examples for me are Gaiman's "Ocean at the End of the Lane" and Lewis's "Till We Have Faces") that not only made me believe in its world but in its conception of magic while I was reading it. It defied my expectations at every turn while still creating something cohesive. It's also a quick read--I finished it in an evening--and all the better for it. Recommended to fans of offbeat fantasy.
Jessica Donegan
From cover to content, this was a delight. The writing is tight and thoughtful; I marveled at the prose and the subjects tackled in such a short span. This isn't a comforting familiar fairy tale though there are elements of the fairy tale entwined. "Cards of Chaos" is a wonderful spin on the fantasy genre weaving philosophy and myths in with an interesting larger world.

If I had one critique: the back of middle gets muddy. In making a reality contorting trek, "Card of Chaos" stumbles for maybe
Catherine Griffin
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
A girl plays a magical card game against the mysterious Jackal to win her life and freedom.

It’s clear from the start that this isn’t your usual fantasy. The setting appears to be Victorian-esque small town America, yet the unfortunate Cebina is being sent away as a sacrifice to the mysterious and powerful Jackal. As it develops, the basic story turns out rather like Beauty and the Beast or Bluebeard, but the fairy-tale atmosphere is underlaid with surprising depth.

This isn’t the sort of book you
Bethany Mcvay
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written

Seriously the language and imagery is just beautiful. I just have no words for it, I'm so glad I grab this. And the cover is amazing as well.
Sharon
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just picked this up for free on Amazon (till today - 28 March!) and read it straight through! Very enjoyable read.
Cat Herine
Apr 01, 2018
Lauren
Jul 24, 2018
Alexandra
Mar 28, 2018
Alyssa
rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2019