Start by marking “The Crappiest Refugee” as Want to Read:
The Crappiest Refugee

The Crappiest Refugee

On the last day of the Vietnam War, nine-year-old Hung jumped on a leaking prawn trawler on the Saigon River, somehow cheating death to become one of the first Vietnamese boat people to arrive Australia, a land where a young man’s potential is limited only by his imagination – that is unless you’re Hung Le.

Defying the stereotype, Hung wasn’t a math or computer whizz, he ha
Published February 22nd 2018 by Affirm Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crappiest Refugee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crappiest Refugee

Start your review of The Crappiest Refugee
Jess
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
It sounds odd, but I’ve been a fan of Hung Le since I was a kid and my dad read me ‘The Yellow Peril from Sin City’ (I still have my copy). The beginning of this book is familiar for anyone who’s read Yellow Peril, but more detailed. I enjoyed the first 30 chapters of this book but the end seemed to drift a little.
Monica
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious! I hadn't heard about Hung Le before, but I really enjoyed his look back on his life and his self-depricating sense of humour.
Tracy
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s all about the story and in this case it’s all about the story – not the writing.

A memoir, a riot, a laugh out loud collection of memories and experiences. It’s raw, confronting and very funny. This is not a story served on a tidy dinner plate it is a pot of noodles - messy, entangled and chaotic.

Hung Le has managed to capture so much humanity, loss, grief, fun, experience and all-round chaos. Never go anywhere with a plan but always imbibe all that is on offer and leave them laughing. Mayb
Xanthi
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
To be honest, I’ve not heard of the author before. The reason I chose to read this book was because of the blurb. It made me laugh. In fact, nearly all of the book did. I say ‘nearly’ because there were parts that made me pretty uncomfortable - the animal cruelty and the drug abuse. He mentions using crack in a very glib manner and only briefly before moving onto his next topic of merriment. I did a double take. Yep. Crack. O-Kay.
I did like his parts about his father. The affection he had for hi
Rania T
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Hung Le used to sometimes appear on TV in the 1990s making jokes about Banh Mi Pork Rolls. In his memoir he sets out to explain to readers why he is "the crappiest refugee" rather than the happiest. One thing apparently being the first Asian to be kicked out Melbourne Uni. An interesting read overall, if you are a fan of dark Aussie immigrant humour.
Peter Bucknell
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful window into the sometimes ridiculous life of Hung. I laughed and cried my way through it. Written in colloquial style, it's an easy read.
He's a great story teller.
It's available as an eBook. I found it on iBooks
Sharon
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Very funny at times, liked the way he wrote about his life and the witty zingers put in here and there through the book.
Admit a few had me giggling.
Elisha

• Feast of Ashes: The Life and Art of David Ohannessian
  • The Weekend
  • Challenge Accepted!
  • Paris and Other Disappointments
  • Underwater Video for Scuba Divers: An easy to understand guide to digital underwater video from GoPro to professional filmmaking.
  • The Essentials of Cave Diving: The latest techniques, equipment and practices for scuba diving in caves and caverns using open circuit, side mount and rebreathers.
  • The Basics of Rebreather Diving
  • 'Tis
  • The Essentials of Cave Diving: Jill Heinerth's Guide to Cave Diving
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • Unreliable Memoirs
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)

News & Interviews