Start by marking “Fire and Heist” as Want to Read:
Fire and Heist

Fire and Heist

In Sky Hawkins's family, leading your first heist is a major milestone--even more so than learning to talk, walk, or do long division. It's a chance to gain power and acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure can be complicated, especially when you're a wyvern--a human capable of turning into a dragon.

Embarking on a life of crime i
Published December 4th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fire and Heist, please sign up.
Joanna were-dragons = people that can shift into dragons... it has been done before. Seraphina and Firelight are just a few.
Lira I mean, stealing the graphics does go with the whole theme, I guess. And there is also the were-dragons=dragonborn connection, so maybe there is…moreI mean, stealing the graphics does go with the whole theme, I guess. And there is also the were-dragons=dragonborn connection, so maybe there is more...(less)

Emily May
May 15, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Heists.
Were-dragons.
HEISTS AND WERE-DRAGONS.

I was gonna say "you had me at 'heist'" but then I read "were-dragons" and now I'm not so sure I was completely had before...

You can wish (and hope and pray and chant under the moon) for this on Netgalley: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
December Fairyloot! Clink on the link below the picture to see the goodies!

THE GOODIES

Well shit! I enjoyed the hell outta this book! 😉

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This has been receiving somewhat middling reviews and I understand why - it's a book that sort of reads like a sendup of fantasy tropes and sort of reads like a book leaning into those tropes, and can’t quite figure out where it’s going. I, however, really enjoyed my experience reading this, and sped through it quickly.

So let's just sum it up - this will be fun if:

1) you genuinely enjoy reading fast-paced heist urban fantasy.
Who doesn’t enjoy campy fantasy sometimes? Okay, yeah, maybe I need
Carrie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst is a young adult fantasy read that is a standalone story. The author described her idea for this one as wanting to write Ocean's Eleven with Were-dragons so of course this odd description definitely got my curiosity aroused. It's safe to say when done too this doesn't really remind me of anything I've read before which for me is a good thing.

Sky Hawkin is a teenage Wyvern, a human with the ability to shift into a dragon, although the Wyvern here on Earth have
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: Trauma regarding absent parent, mention of murder, blackmailing, imprisonment, mention of blood, abusive parent, and physical violence.

Sky Hawkin's used to have it all. The perfect family, friends, and boyfriend. Until her mother disappeared. Now shunned by the wyvern society, Sky's family is dealing with the aftermath regarding her mother. Her father doesn't smile anymore. Her brothers ignore her. And the Hawkin's fami
Sepani
The book started really well but half away through, this became somewhat naive. The story was fast paced and there's a lack in action with the other characters apart from the main character. Plus, the characters were seemed to be predictable and that lost some of the interest with the story.
Sherwood Smith
When I saw a mention that Durst had gotten the idea of writing a story that combined Ocean's 11 and wyverns, I couldn't sign up fast enough.

And what fun it was!

Sixteen-year-old Sky Hawkin is a normal teenager emotions-wise--her grief is quite real at the beginning, in which we learn that her beloved and feisty mother vanished, her family has been disgraced, her friends unfriended her with prejudice, and most hurtful at all, her boyfriend, who'd been her bestie since they were three, publicly dum
Jennymort ♔ Dark Lordette
description
*ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Well. Oceans 11? A Heist? DRAGONS!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

description

What a letdown. We got teenagers, disappeared mothers, family dishonor, and among other things, just super simplistic high school drama crap. This read like the books I read in middle school/high school before I started to really get into reading. I did not feel any connection to the characters and I can tell you right now that I don't remember any of this book other than
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I had really high hopes for this one, because the blurb makes it sound like it’s Heist Society with dragons. Sadly, that is not the case, and not just because there was a distinct lack of hot blond billionaire.

16-year-old Sky Hawkins and her family are wyverns. Originally descended from dragons, they can’t actually transform anymore, but they can still breathe fire. And they still LOVE their gold. In the wyvern community, leading your first heist to steal something is a huge coming-of-age ritual
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
5/16/18
Since I have read The Queen of Blood at this point and am definitely a fan of Ms. Durst, I can't wait for this!
---
3/19/2018
Finally a release date and cover!

beth
this was a pretty good book, it just wasn’t for me ☹ ...more
Taylor
Mar 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Dragons?? Heists?? AND THAT COVER?!

At this point, I'll read anything Sarah Beth Durst writes. This is gonna be amazing.

And I also wanna know who the hell is rating this book before it's even come out?? Why?? Would you do this?? It's pissing me off and it needs to stop.
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a wyvern (think were-dragon), leading your first heist is a big deal - bigger than taking your first step and saying your first word. It's your first chance to really gain power and acceptance within your family and community. However, leading a life of crime isn't easy, and Sky learns the truth about her mother, who recently went missing, the real reason her boyfriend broke up with her, and a valuable jewel that could restore
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Not My Cup of Tea.

Read as part of Fairyloot Readalong.

This was a DNF for me.

It was the writing style I couldn't get along with, and it's a shame as I was actually really looking forward to Fire & Heist. It's similar to the writing style of The Selection.

I gave it a valiant effort I think, but as I approached the half way point I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up again.
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Can I just say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this novel? And by very pleasantly surprised I mean I was absolutely blown away by this!

I just . . . did not expect this to be that great? Right from chapter 1 I was hit with something akin to awe.

Because the voice in this book is so stellar. I still can't properly describe it, but know that I am IN LOVE with how genuine the voice sounds and how Sky felt so teenage and real and interesting.

Straight from the beginning, Sky felt super
Angelica
Well, that was hella disappointing.

So, I like heists. heist movies are amazing. Heist books are even better. And to me, no heist will ever top the one from Six of Crows. That has forever been cemented as the gold standard for heist story.

Sadly, this book didn't even come close to getting on that level of awesome.

The synopsis sounded amazing. A magical heist and dragons! If that's not a winning combo I don't know what is! I went into this expecting to be extremely entertained and fall in love wit
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

It's not arrogant to know who you are.
It's powerful.
And I am powerful.

Oh my gosh, this book was SO fun! I found Durst's prose to be quirky and engaging - I laughed out loud more than once. I absolutely loved the concept, it was fantastic! MAGIC. HEISTS. WERE. DRAGONS. Yes, that's right. Weredragons!! How awesome is that?! I also loved that they were thieves of gold and hoarders of treasure by nature.

I absolutely loved the sense of family that this book had going on. Sky had a close relationsh
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This book took two of my favorite things to read about, heists and a fantasy world, and put them in the same novel. I had pretty low expectations for this book, but it was actually really cool. Wyverns, or dragon shifters, were a really fun fantasy species to read about. They all steal and have a horde of treasures, so theft is part of the culture and looked upon highly if properly pulled off without getting caught.

The ch
Kiersten
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wyverns, heists, plotting, and a lovable family/friends dynamic... It's too perfect! Okay Fire and Heist is just so much fun! The book gave me the same happy/good feeling as watching one of the Ocean 11 movies. So I really recommend reading this if you are in the mood for a happy and easy read!
Natalie ♡
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was in my first ever fairyloot and first I was kinda scared, because what if I don't like it? Then I started it on Saturday night, because I wanted to read something light and fun. It also has only 300 pages and I could finish it in 1-2 days, so that's what I did. :)

When I started it I only knew that it's about were-dragons and heist (I didn't want/need to know more). And now I think about it and it was just all I wanted. I escaped in this world and had an adventure.

This book also had
Christa
A really cute stand alone YA fantasy, this is one you won’t want to miss. It’s got action, dragons, a hint of romance, and great characters.

Sky is a wyvern and her mother is missing. Having three older brothers, Sky is used to fending for herself. She takes it on her own to lead her first heist, and plans on using what she steals as leverage for info on her mom. Little does she know the secrets and conspiracies she’s about to unravel.

The highlight of this book is the relationship between Sky a
Sandra
Were-dragons!!!????!!!

o.O

Omg. DRAGONS.
E L E A N O R (bookishcourtier)
Ahh, what fun. RTC
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This was one of my very favorite books of the year, and my favorite YA fantasy in a very long time. It's just so exhilaratingly fun, with fabulous characters & family dynamics, real emotions, AND a fantastic set of heists performed by were-dragons (with a wonderful were-dragon heroine as the narrator)! There was such a feeling of heart and joy and delight in every page of this story. I loved every bit of it!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

In Sky Hawkins’s family, leading your first heist is a major milestone… It’s a chance to gain power and acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure can be complicated, especially when you’re a wyvern–a human capable of turning into a dragon. With a handpicked crew by her side, Sky knows she has everything she needs to complete her first heist, and get her boyfriend and mother back in the process. But then
Chelsea
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
DNF @ like 10% - if you enjoyed Sarah Beth Durst's other novel, Drink, Slay, Love, you'll likely enjoy this one. Stylistically, this sort of light, colloquial take on fantasy should work for me, but I can't take it seriously. I didn't find the characters or world interesting, and the narrative reads like it's trying a bit too hard. Just not for me.

Maybe would have finished it if were-dragons had been werewolf/dragons rather than humans that turn into dragons...
Alaina
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, fire and heist had potential. I was so pumped to dive into this review but for the first half - I was so freaking bored. I wasn’t connecting to any of characters and I also didn’t care one bit about the drama either. Thankfully, it started to pick up after halfway through the book. Unfortunately, it was a little too late.

In this book, you will meet Sky. She’s a wyvern, which is basically a dragon shifter. Sky was an
Scrill
12/31/2017
Okay, it's practically 2018 now. When's the release date?? Helloooo?? Can't we get more information about this yet??

9/25/2017
It's got dragons. It's got a heist.

Let me rephrase that..It's got thieving dragons!
Pauline Fireheart
"My friends and my family are my treasure.
They are my gold."

This is the story of a group of human, called wyverns. They are descendants of dragons and are able to breathe fire and all they do with their life is to plan and perform heists. And that is pretty much all I remember from the book. The writing style is shallow and that book did nothing for me.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, arc
DNF at 30 percent

Not bad, just not my taste. The world-building was odd. Wyverns (or were-dragons) live among us...yet pop culture is essentially the same. Like the Harry Potter books are mentioned multiple times. This will likely not bother most people, but I just felt like the world would be fundamentally different if, you know, half-people/half-dragons existed.

Plus the plot/romance had a very familiar feel.
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of seventeen fantasy books for adults, teens, and kids, including The Queens of Renthia series, Drink Slay Love, and The Girl Who Could Not Dream. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University, where she spent four years studying Engl ...more