Start by marking “Werecockroach” as Want to Read:
Werecockroach

Werecockroach

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  41 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Rin moves into a new flat on the day the aliens arrive. Their new flatmates are laid-back Sanjay and conspiracy theorist Pete. It doesn't take long to notice some oddities about the pair, like hoarding cardboard and hissing at people when they're angry. Something strange is going on, but it's not all due to the aliens.
Published April 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Werecockroach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werecockroach

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Werecockroach
Claudie Arseneault
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely wonderful and exactly what I was in the mood for.

Rin's dry sense of humour and sarcasm turns this alien invasion/first contact novella into pure delight. Polenth Blake's worlds never cease to amaze me--always unexpected, always genuine and kind, always diverse (WERECOCKROACHES centers several queer characters of colour with disability, and the narrator is agender, aromantic, and asexual, and the words are used within the text). I also loved the focus on the developing friend
Mo
4.5 stars, bumped up because it made me so happy

Werecockroach is strange, hilarious, and wonderfully queer-diverse. If someone had told me there was a science fiction novella about non-metaphorical werecockroaches, an alien invasion, and possibly the end of the world, and then asked me to free-associate, the words “charming” and “heartwarming” probably would not have come up, but there I was getting tearful warm fuzzies. This story is enchanting in every possible way. Polenth Blake is a writer t
Bogi Takács
This was fun. Reflects on Kafka's Metamorphosis (I had at least three people ask me about this), but so different from it that I cannot even call it a subversion or anything, it is more like a... distant parallel. Very ownvoices, too, and the aliens are great. I'd love a sequel. Probably more later, but this is going into my 2018 novella highlights too.

______________
Source of the book: Patreon backer reward from the author
Kamilla
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
A charming story following our unflappable protagonist as they navigate new roommates and an alien encounter.

This story was certainly easy to read. Clocking in at around 70 pages, I finished this in a few hours. I was a bit surprised by how.... smooth everything went. I think this entire plotline was just overwhelmingly neutral. Neutral reactions to extreme scenarios, neutral outcomes to seemingly large conflicts and people living ordinary lives, despite their extraordinary backgrounds.

Usually
Fairyhedgehog
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very, very funny and entertaining.

The characters are great and I'd love to read more about them. The plot is zany and unpredictable, and it all comes together brilliantly in the end.

I loved it.
hedgehog
I wish I had read the novella everyone else reviewing this has. It was not funny, none of the disparate parts hung together in any coherent way, and the writing style was tedious with plentiful dashes of overexplaining things in ways that would just stop the narrative dead, every time. It's 97 pages and took me two weeks to read because I kept finding excuses to do literally anything else. One star because half of my basement is decluttered now thanks to this novella.
Kristīne Vītola
(Aromantic asexual protagonist (Rin), platonic relationships-centric)
Leah

This novella was strange and fun! Read the full review on my blog.
iam
Read this review and more on the blog!

I absolutely adored this!

Rin, the protagonist, has an amazingly distinct voice that I loved reading. Their humor and sarcasm frequently made me laugh, and I loved that despite their cynicism they were not an ass about it.
The plot was great and very unique, features aliens and, well, werecockroaches, and I loved the slowly developing relationship between Rin and their new flatmates.

All of the characters we meet are interesting and fun to encounter, always le
Ana
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PHENOMENAL.

It's hard to come across something that feels really creative and innovative these days, but this work really surprised the hell out of me, in great ways! So strange in such delightful ways that did not feel haphazard, just... off the beaten path. Extremely fun, heartwarming, relatable, while also helmed by a sarcastic hero who doesn't expect to be able to trust anybody. Just a delight all around. Loads of things were skillfully explored in a novella length - neurodivergence, making n
Quinn
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

This was a pretty fun read, though I couldn't help but be reminded of The Butterfly Kid. They both have this same surreal feeling to an otherwise normal world.

John Willson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
It's hard to keep secrets during an alien invasion. A fun tale of first contact, told on the personal scale of three flatmates, two of whom might not - it turns out - be entirely human. There are no laser battles or crashing motherships here. The story is told gently, and remains focused on kind people.
Ash
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a charming and strange and fun little story. I highly recommend it for a quick read.
Fayleen
Jul 27, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf, novellas
DNF around 27 percent, I just never really got into it.
shannon  Stubbs
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

This story was interesting and different. I liked the adventure the three roommates went on. It definitely had a surprise at the end.
Barry Raifsnider
This was a very fun read! I'd love to read more about the three main characters, I really liked all of them and I really liked the focus on their developing friendship during the alien invasion.
Kerri
Jan 26, 2020
K.X.
Jan 25, 2019
Katie
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2020

• The Arrangement (Another Love #1)
  • Kinship and Kindness (A Paranormal Society Romance #1)
  • The Unconquered City (Chronicles of Ghadid, #3)
  • The Wishing Maiden
  • Breathe
  • Clio Rising
  • The Heat of Summer
  • Otherbound
  • Devil's in the Details (Devil's Book 1)
  • Dreams
  • City Kitty and Country Mouse
  • Bestiary
  • The Art of Saving the World
  • Out of the Flames
I'm a fantasy and science fiction writer. When I'm not writing, I enjoy walking and art. I live in England with my pet cockroaches.