Start by marking “Crowning Heaven” as Want to Read:
Crowning Heaven

Crowning Heaven

Heaven Cassidy has only ever wanted one thing: a family. But when she opens a letter from her long-lost mother, she finds herself running for her life. Swept into a world of proud queens and ancient feuds, Heaven must decide whether her dream is worth taking on the responsibility of two kingdoms, one of which wants to crown her and the other to kill her.
Paperback
Published May 15th 2018 (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Crowning Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crowning Heaven

Start your review of Crowning Heaven
Katelyn Buxton
~ I received a free advance review copy of this book, therefore all of the following opinions are my own ~

Crowning Heaven tells a familiar rags-to-riches tale, long-lost princess and all. Some might call it cliché, but I really never mind a cliché as long as it’s done well. On the whole, I think Crowning Heaven pulls it off rather successfully. I loved the world-building Hayse put into the two kingdoms that feature most prominently in the story, and all their differences in culture and patterns
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for violence and mild romance
This book is so totally out of my usual genres, so I am really surprised I liked it! Kudos to the author!

The worldbuilding was so well done; descriptive enough I could picture this entirely new world, so different from earth. But not too descriptive that I got lost. The plot, while probably slightly cliche, was still incredibly enjoyable and unique to me. It had enough of its own quirks and uniquenesses that I didn't find it cliche at all. Full of twists and turns, it kept me in my seat and turn
Mollie Reeder
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A solid debut from a promising new author, Crowning Heaven called to mind for me both Jennifer Nielsen and Queen Victoria.

Heaven, a young woman raised on earth, finds herself caught between kingdoms when she is whisked through a portal (here called a "star-road") and learns that she was the result of a forbidden marriage between the monarchs of two rival nations. With her parents now dead, Heaven is rightful heir to two opposing thrones, and the only person who might unite her parents' peoples.
Kenzie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, I loved this book! I'm going to write a more detailed review soon, but for right now, I'm rating this 4.5 stars.

I'm just gonna go cry myself to sleep now...
Anne Rhys
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was sooooo good! Exciting, heart-wrenching, emotional, funny, and SO VIVID. Everything wrapped up nicely in the end. But the reader is hungry for more. I loved it.
Beth Wangler
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wasn't quite what I expected going in, but I still quite enjoyed it!

The general outline is a familiar story: Earth girl discovers she's a lost princess set to inherit the throne on another planet. What I appreciated in Crowning Heaven was the attention to detail in developing the three major cultures, especially in having different characters epitomize those cultures in different ways. I especially enjoyed the different speech patterns that revealed the backgrounds of the characters and wat
Jameson
Crowning Heaven introduces a complex fantasy world at war, and a young woman seeking a place to belong as she works to bring peace.

The story moves quickly, starting moments before Heaven's life takes a turn far beyond anything she could have imagined. I really liked how Heaven took to her role as heiress—it happens quickly, but she approaches the situation with plans to do her best and hopes of bringing peace to the countries that are unfamiliar but also a part of her.

It took me a while to reme
Erica Bennett
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful.
Despite having very little actual magic or fantasy elements, it reads like a high fantasy: intrigue, warring nations, ancient myths, and moments of doom and soaring hope. The writing style itself has a high fantasy feel to it, and the whole story is just beautifully tragic. Emily Hayse has a way of capturing life in little moments of time that is both real and grounded and captures the magic of being alive.
Heaven is a thoroughly likeable main character: her struggles, wh
Claire Banschbach
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Really fun portal fantasy book! Emily Hayes writes in an older style, which reminded me a lot of books I loved growing up, and I just adored getting that feel from this book!

Lost royalty is one of my favorite tropes, and Heaven Cassidy is such a great character. She's way more level headed about the whole situation than I would have been though, let's be honest. lol! There's escapes, political intrigue, battles, and all of the amazing guy characters!

Seriously, I'm just ready for an entire book
Cheyenne Langevelde
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. Much of it reminded me of my own writing, especially the style of voicing. It felt like something I'd written, even if the story itself wasn't something I'd ever think of. And like many of my early drafts, the characters are sadly not as deep as Emily's other works, but I still love them. I still ship Heaven with Thrasi (or even Athens), regardless of how the book ended. I really hate the ending and love it at the same time. This is such a beautiful story a ...more
Jason
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry- jumbled dry mess

1. The bare bones of the story is here, but the heroine does very very little- a speech, a song and saves one person.
2. Characters are introduced and killed just for shock value. First time it happened I thought ok the author is surprising, but when it happened for the 10th time.
3. Please name all the characters called by someone plain woman is odd, even with your explanation
4. One country is so much weaker than the other makes me wonder why they haven’t been conquered alr
Audrey
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story and very real characters!! I couldn't stop reading!! ...more
Rae Graham
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An action-packed tale of bravery and sacrifice full of loveable characters and surprising twists!
Katie
Rebecca Alasdair
May 05, 2018
Tricia Mingerink
May 15, 2018

• Revolutionary (Anomaly, #3)
  • Anomaly (Anomaly, #1)
  • Luminary (Anomaly, #2)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • The Mighty Odds (The Mighty Odds, #1)
  • Storm (Swipe #3)
  • Spark (Swipe, #4)
  • Swipe (Swipe, #1)
  • Sneak (Swipe, #2)
  • The Secret of White Stone Gate (Black Hollow Lane, #2)
  • The Paper Boat (Thirteen #3)
  • The Ruby Moon (Thirteen #2)
  • Downfall’s Echo (The Kyona Chronicles #6)
  • Bank Job
  • Legacy of the Curse (The Kyona Chronicles #4)
  • Downfall of the Curse (The Kyona Chronicles #5)
  • Golden Gate (City Spies, #2)
  • Captive's Return (The Kyona Chronicles #3)
EMILY HAYSE is a lover of log cabins, strong coffee, NASCAR, and the smell of old books. Her writing is fueled by good characters and a lifelong passion for storytelling. When she is not busy turning words into worlds, she can often be found baking, singing, or caring for one of the many dogs and horses in her life. She lives with her family in Michigan.