Start by marking “The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism” as Want to Read:
The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism

The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism

You recite it. But do you understand it?

The Apostles’ Creed has united Christians from different times, places, and traditions. It proclaims eternal truths for life today. We believe them, we recite them, but do we build our lives on them?

The fact that so many in the early church died for their faith means they were caught up in something greater than themselves. What were
Published June 30th 2018 by Faithlife Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Apostles' Creed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apostles' Creed

Start your review of The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism
Greg Watson
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ben Myers provides a good summary of the theology, history, and culture behind the Apostles' Creed. He devotes a chapter to each portion of the creed. And he gives helpful references to early church fathers, which help to place the creed in its historical context.

The Apostles' Creed was an important part of Christian identity in the early church. New Christians confessed it at baptism. This public profession identified a person with the Christian community.

The creed continues to be confessed to
Patrick
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Devotional and intellectually stimulating at the same time.
Brandon Wilkins
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ben Myers offers a popular level, yet learned treatment of the Apostles' Creed. There are a few popular-level books out there on the Creed, I know because I read a bunch of them last summer for a sermon series.

Bu this one is different for a few reasons.
1) Brevity. Myers deliberately keeps chapters short, and I consider that a strength because he can say a lot in a short space.
2) Audience. This is pretty clearly aimed--or at least it feels to me as if it is aimed-- at outsiders, and thus there
Ben House
The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism by Ben Myers is published by Lexham Press.  I have come to recognize Lexham Press as "a name you can trust" when it comes to solid Christian literature.  This book is no exception.

This book is a very attractive, small hardback.  It would make a great gift.  The small size and short chapters should not blind us to the weighty content.  Phrase by phrase, the author takes us through the Apostles' Creed by examining the Scriptural underpinings of
Adam Shields
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Review: I have read three or four books on the creed (and watched a video series). Ben Myers' book is the best of the bunch. It is clear, to the point, with short chapters that would make for great devotional reading or small group discussion. It is clearly ecumenical in tone and content, which is important for what is probably the most important ecumenical statement of faith. And it is well written and oriented toward introduction of the creed without being anti-academic or condescending. ...more
Ian Hammond
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book. It is concise, beautifully written, full of rich quotes from Church History, and contextualized for the nonchristian & skeptic. I was hoping it would be a great tool for introducing Christianity to someone. But, there are serious omissions and some questionable suggestions.

The chapter, “was crucified,” does not mention sin nor judgment, nor substitution. Instead Myers opts for honor, shame, and humility when discussing the cross.

Myers also appears to have a universalist ben
Gino
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an exceptionally well written book. An easy read that really stirred my imagination and informed me greatly. Highly recommend this short book!
Jonathan Latshaw
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a difficult time landing an a rating for this book. On one hand, I enjoyed this quick guide through the Apostles' Creed. Myers does a fine job presenting the Creed by engaging with historic Christian teachers while simultaneously showing the relevance of the Creed for today. However, at times, I ended sections wanting more, or thinking he did not cover the topic well. At times Myers sounds like a universalist and does not write well on sin and the forgiveness of sins. All in all, I would ( ...more
Brett Vanderzee
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is—bar none—my new go-to intro to the Christian faith. It’s not often I finish a book and immediately want to drop $400 to buy it for two dozen people (“want[!] to”; I’ll allow the unfulfilled desire to speak for itself for now). Myers takes the Apostle’s Creed line by line (sometimes word by word) in a succinct, deep but digestible, made-for-the-modern-attention-span work of mastery. Each chapter is about 3-4 pages long, saturated with the church fathers, but also aimed directly at current ...more
Clayton Keenon
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
So many parts of this are beautiful and insightful. Lots to ponder. Lots to delight in. There are however some points that I have substantial disagreements about, most notably his belief in universal salvation, which he doesn’t make a big deal of, but pops up here and there. That makes it hard to recommend in my context.
Kyle
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful little hardback book of profound meditations on the Apostle's Creed. Myers leans heavily on the church fathers and draws on their wisdom as he unpacks each phrase of the creed. An accessible, contemplative, and piercing work.
Cameron
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply written. Helpful. Beautiful. Hopeful.
Trevor Atwood
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good, concise phrase-by-phrase introduction to the Apostles’ Creed. I appreciated the use of the Church Fathers in the explanation of each phrase.

It doesn’t intend to be exhaustive, so don’t go looking here for exhaustive depth. But if you’re looking for a few helpful ancient anecdotes to give some context for the importance of the Creed, that can be read while waiting for an oil change in your car... this book is helpful.
Sooho Lee
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I remember the first few times I recited the Apostles' Creed. I was in 6th grade. No body told me why we recited it, much less what we were saying. It was on the screen and people were reading aloud, so I followed suit. I even remember memorizing it for some youth group game. Truly, an environment that cares so little about explaining the creed --  or anything else -- tends to foster people who equally care little about its importance.

The fact that I memorized the Apostles' Creed when I was 12
S McDonald
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
It is a VERY difficult task to write a book like this, and on the whole it's masterfully done. Myers synthesizes rich scriptural and theological material and distills it in a wonderfully accessible way. The puzzle for me is the surprisingly weak - even cagey - eschatology. Focussing on Origen's 'single person' corporate body approach to the resurrection of the dead...? That's.... a bizarre choice for a book like this. And yes, of course, eternal life is about quality of life not JUST quantity... ...more
Nick Richtsmeier
I don't even know what to say about this book except - transformational. I was not raised in a liturgical tradition. Growing up in church my whole life, I didn't even know the contents of the Apostle's Creed until seminary, and even then only studied it in a cursory manor. (Baptist seminary...) I've been awakening--like many others--to the uniquely grounding effects of the high church traditions, and at the same time realizing how much I have to learn. I was introduced to Ben Myers through anoth ...more
Todd Miles
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful and brief exposition of the Apostles Creed that is both devotional and theologically informative.
Zach Barnhart
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
How willing are we to read the manual of a car that we already know how to drive? Or to consult a recipe for a dish that we have already made a hundred times? When we have been there and done that we tend to believe that we have nothing else to learn. And so it may go for you with the Apostles’ Creed.

The Apostles’ Creed is the most foundational confessional statement of the Christian Church, the first and most widely-known gatekeeper for identifying who indeed belongs to the living God’s family.
Josh Wilhelm
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have long-enjoyed the witty theological quips of @_BenMyers_ on Twitter (seriously, go follow him!) and was pleased to hear that he wrote a little book. "The Apostles Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism" is published by Lexham Press, the publishing arm of the team at Logos Bible Software platform. Lexham did a beautiful job on the book design, and both the typesetting and the cover art are very appealing. In fact, I’ve enjoyed watching the book catch the eye of customers at our store, and ...more
Matt
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely and helpful book. It pains me not to give it five stars, but I can’t due to three chapters near the end (“He Will Come to Judge the Living and the Dead,” “The Forgiveness of Sins,” “The Life Everlasting”). Myers’s description of human sin is rather anemic; I kept waiting for him to note that the sin from which we need forgiveness *most fundamentally* is vertical—rebellion against a holy God. Moreover, he sounds like a universalist at various points, and studiously avoids any talk o ...more
Victor Mejia
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
“The Apostles’ Creed” is one of three books in the Lexham Press “Christian Essentials” Series. It’s a small book packed with a punch. Over time I’ve grown to be appreciative of creeds and confessions; they are important to know and know the roots of your Christian faith. In this little book author Ben Myers gives an overview of the Apostles’ Creed with a bit of history behind it. Each statement in the Creed is broken up into its own chapter, which includes both doctrine and devotion. If you are ...more
jon
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased 50 copies of Ben Myer’s Guide to give to others that they might benefit from the Apostles’ Creed. It is profoundly on track, concise, readable—in one thoughtful sitting, and although I am a lettered reader, I know it will focus and inspire any reader on the essentials of our Christian faith, our “I believe” in the gospel of Jesus the Christ. This is a book on the creed that I would happily put in the hands and, I hope, hearts of others.
Pat O'Keeffe
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great little introduction to the Christian Faith as Ben Myers walks through the Creed line by line. I particularly enjoyed the rich interaction with the early church. Conversations about faith and doctrine can so easily become abstract and individualised, but this little book reminds us that the Christian faith is about a profoundly personal God and also cosmic in its scope.
Ken Mccoy
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could I would give this little book six stars. It is pithy, profound and very much worth reading. It may be somewhat ecumenical for the taste of some and universal for others but to me it struck just the right notes. I will keep it close and read it again.
Joel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written. It dives deep and yet is very accessible. It clarifies, leaves room for mystery, and anchors itself in Truth.
I think this should be on every christians "to read list" and if I could give it 6 stars, I would.
Christopher Smith
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, and simple - yet profoundly insightful and enlightening. A wonderful book for new believers, or those who have grown up in a creed-less evangelicalism and want to understand the importance of these ancient formulations of the faith.
Michael Nichols
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite reads of 2018. It’s accessible and plain, yet beautiful and profound. A really remarkable feat of writing! The book is recommendable to nearly anyone who wants a primer on the confessions of the Christian faith.
Mar
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an okay overview of the Apostles' Creed, but not a not new/earthshattering for those who studied it before. For those just new to it, it is a good place to start and is a good guide for teens and young adults who are studying the material.
Ashlee Eiland
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that doesn’t sacrifice theological soundness or devotional depth. Thoroughly enjoyed and would highly recommend to anyone who’s ever wanted a deeper dive into the richness of the Apostle’s Creed.
Tawny
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be a foundational book all Christians should read.

• The Lord's Prayer: A Guide to Praying to Our Father
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • The Ten Commandments: A Guide to the Perfect Law of Liberty
  • It Takes a Church to Baptize: What the Bible Says about Infant Baptism
  • How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor
  • "He Descended to the Dead": An Evangelical Theology of Holy Saturday
  • Disappearing Church: From Cultural Relevance to Gospel Resilience
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • The Gospel-Driven Church: Uniting Church Growth Dreams with the Metrics of Grace
  • None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God
  • All That Is in God: Evangelical Theology and the Challenge of Classical Christian Theism
Librarian note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

News & Interviews

“That is how Isaac the Syrian imagines the world to come: not as two different places but as two different ways of responding to the love of God. “Those who are punished in hell,” Isaac writes, “are scourged by the scourge of love. For what is so bitter and vehement as the punishment of love?” 0 likes
“As Gregory says to the slave owner, “you have forgotten the limits of your authority.” The world has only one Lord—and this Lord “does not enslave,” but “calls us to freedom.” 0 likes