Start by marking “If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition” as Want to Read:
If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition

If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition

A fun, roar-out-loud jungle version of the favorite kids' song IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT!
If you're happy and you know it, give a roar!

This jungle version of the classic song IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT! is a real read-along sing-along safari! Get ready to stomp your feet, flap your wings, and scratch your fur!
Published February 1st 2007 by Orchard Books (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about If You're Happy And You Know It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Happy And You Know It

Start your review of If You're Happy And You Know It: Jungle Edition
Scottsdale Public Library
Yeah! This is If You’re Happy and You Know It Jungle Edition! There have been several books written around this favorite kids’ song, but I particularly like this one because of the fun and colorful illustrations by James Warhola.
The book opens by welcoming two children and their mother to “Big Jungle Playground,” and initially, it seems all the “wild animals” are simply part of the playground equipment. However, as soon as the kids begin to sing, the animals start to come alive! Their mother is
Libby
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A basic take-off of the "If You're Happy and You Know it Song." What my family particularly enjoyed is the story around the words--two kids go to a jungle-themed playground and the animals on the playground equipment come to life one at a time. Of course, the mother in the story does not notice. The body of the book just has the first line of each verse (and we didn't actually sing it most of the time), but complete song lyrics are included in the back. Besides the fun additions to the familiar ...more
Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
3* art
3* idea

Action songs are always great. Squirt enjoyed singing and stamping and roaring. Any excuse will do.
LizzyBerry
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A hit with a mixed group of kid's for my Musical Mayhem program.
Dewey
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun, and I'm vindicated because his lyrics are the ones I use, which everyone thought was crazy when I first introduced this song into my storytime.
Tracey
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
picture book (toddler/preschool)

interactive/musical story (without necessarily needing to sing the whole verse again for each spread). The ending was a bit abrupt to me (and would require the kids to be able to see the mom getting up and calling the kids in) so I'm not sure about it being ideal for storytime crowds, but you could maybe adapt the ending to suit your needs.

the very end of the story goes through 10 complete verses with all of the actions, plus a final verse that calls for doing all
Carrie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
If You're Happy and You Know It: Jungle Edition is a book I would use to get students moving along to the words and actions depicted. I could also have students count the actions at the end of the song. I think this book is a great resource because not many books get students to be active in the classroom (a concept I am currently working on in Movement and Wellness).
Melissa Alvarez
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good picture book for teachers to read to the children. It talks about if you are happy do this, or do that. It is also fun for the children to get active along with the book by doing what the book says. For example, if you are happy and you know it stomp your feet. Then the children can stomp their feet.
Simple text (the phrases aren't repeated on each page) with jungle animal action (scratch your fur, give a roar, etc). Great illustrations really set this book apart and give it life. The kids visit a jungle themed playground and the animals come alive. Look carefully to get clues about what's coming. A great story time read aloud!
Randall De Kleine
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My son picked this off the library shelf, so we took it home with us. He asked for it to be read several times while we had it. The book is a nice size and has beautiful illustrations -- a great book to tie into the song and for kids who love animals and playgrounds.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Worked fairly well for storytime, but we skipped a few animals.
Emily Carlyn
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
I love this jungle edition of If You're Happy & You Know It! Great for a musical or jungle story time.
Alison
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good interactive book. Great for read aloud!
Chelsea
I absolutely love this book and what's even better is that the kids do too! I have read/sang this book numerous times to different age groups and they all got a kick out of it. The twist on the typical "If You're Happy and You Know It" makes the book even more fun, and the kids really get into the singing and motions. Who wouldn't want to stomp like an elephant, flap their wings like a bird or scratch themselves like a monkey?! Awesome, I tell you. This book AWESOME! If you haven't read/sung it ...more
Kathy Gunn
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
(2007)

Get ready to sing along with this jungle version of a classic, "If You're Happy and You Know It!" What fun! Ger ready to stomp your feet, scratch your fur, give a roar, flap your wings, and beat your chest.

Themes: Jungle animals, sing-a-long, participation

Ideas: After reading through the pages, follow along to the words and sing the whole song and get ready to act it all out and have fun!

Come up with a new set of animals and create a new version of the song to sing together. (farm animals)
Kristen
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This book was so much fun. My daughter and I had such a great time reading this book. It took her a little while to get in to it, but once she saw me act it out a few times, she joined in. It was fun to find the new animal that the page pertained to. At the very end they put it all together like the song and my daughter had a blast acting it all out with me. We'll definitely grab this book again - it is such a fun interactive book!
Whitney Roberts
"If You're Happy and You Know It" is a great retelling of a classic song into book form. I love that it takes a song most young children know and gives the ability to tie it to a book. While the song is sweet, it is really important that children develop a connection to books at an early age and I think this book provides a great way to do that.
Stacia Leigh
It's a popular kids song redone. I had to read the entire song AGAIN on the last page! My kids weren't going to let me skimp on that last page. Oh no...so, I was hoarse by the time I was done.

That being said...my kids went through the motion and appeared to love every minute of it. Although on that last page, one of my kids interjected, "How much longer?"
Nicholle
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just used this book in storytime today, and it was a hUGE hit - the kids new the song well, but loved the new lines, and practicing their "roars" and "scratching their fur" like monkeys. The illustrations are really fun, and images were large enough to share with a group. Will definitely use this book again!
Beth
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is really cute to read and act out with young children!
Doing all ten of the actions is tough! Try the following and all at the same time.
1) clapping hands
2) stomping feet
3) scratching your fur (this is the jungle edition of the popular song)
4) roar
9) crawl
10) blink
Elaine
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book based on the class song "If you're happy and you know it." Kids can sing and follow the pages (reading!) of what to do next according to what the animals do. Catchy and fun. The ending of the story was a wee bit abrupt so it might be a good idea to continue the last part of the song like the beginning "clap your hands" to conclude.
Danielle Simmons
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventurous
This book was very colorful and upbeat. A day at the zoo turned out to be a fun rendition to the classic If you're happy and you know it. I think this would be fun to read to your class and then sing it out loud. Semester II
Elizabeth S
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
The images of the animals joining in with each other are absolutely priceless. Where else can you see an elephant and tiger and monkey all joining the bird for the "If you're happy and you know it flap your wings" verse.
Dana
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This version gets a bit long and I typically start singing solo about halfway through, but the kids still participate on the action, be it squeaking or jumping around, so it's usually worth it. A fun twist on an old familiar storytime song.
Miss Sarah
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, movement, jungle
A jungle animal edition of if your happy and you know it. I loved it and so did my kids. Can't wait to try it with toddlers. So cute to see them making all the movement. I worried about length but not singing the full song for each verse helped.
Jackie
If You're Happy and You Know It: Jungle Edition is a slightly more extended version of the original song, which include jungle sounds and actions.

Used for "An Actor's Life for Me!: Sing, Act, Dance" Storytime- October, 2010
Caroline
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A variation of "If You're Happy and You Know It"with jungle animals.

Great for an animal or movement story time.
Nichole
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1-3 year olds
This book gets you on your feet! My 2-year old loves it.
Amanda
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Very fun variation on the song. It says "Jungle Version" on the cover. We had lots of fun singing it and doing the motions, although it was hard at the end when you had to flip pages to "do all".
Stefani
So much fun to act along with the book!

• Giraffe Problems
  • Square
  • Little Pea
  • Bear Snores On
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Triangle
  • Santa Bruce
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • A Book of Babies
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • Hangry
  • There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Spunky Little Monkey
  • Hello, My Name Is... : How Adorabilis Got His Name
  • Fox the Tiger
James Warhola is an American artist who has illustrated more than two dozen children's books since 1987. Prior to that, he illustrated science fiction and fantasy paperback covers. His paintings are showcased in the permanent collection of the Warhola Museum in Medzilborce, Slovakia, a museum devoted entirely to the work of artists in his family.

A native of Smock, a coal-mining region in Fayette