Start by marking “The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark” as Want to Read:
The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark

The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark

A hilarious retelling of THE THREE LITTLE PIGS, with foil on the cover!

"Little fish, little fish, let me come in."
"Not by the skin of my finny fin fin!"
"Then I'll munch, and I'll crunch, and I'll smash your house in!"

Mama tells her three little fish that it's time to make their own homes. Jim builds his house of seaweed, but the big bad shark munches it up. Tim builds his
Published May 1st 2007 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark

Start your review of The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Children's retelling and re-imagining of the classic Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. I loved reading this with my grandson. We had recently been reading the Three Little Pigs and the Big, Bad Wolf and this fit perfectly into our story time.
Hard board book was perfect for reading for infant/toddler, cute re-imagination of this classic story that will be sure to become a favorite of many children and adults alike. Clever poetry, fun and brightly illustrated, loved this!
Sure to become a
Vivian
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's difficult to tell who likes this re-telling of the "Three Little..." story more -- the child, the story time performer, or the parents! It is so much fun to act out -- arms and hands clapping together as shark jaws, chanting "Little FISH, Little Fish, let me come in" with the response, "Not by the skin of my finny fin fin!"

If using this in a pre-school library story time, when the story is finished and lead everyone in the "Shamu Shimmy". (to the tune HOKEY POKEY)...
You put your right fin
Deb
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
This was the favorite of the books I read to Alena today. I like how it's just like the story of the three little pigs though adapted nicely to be about the three little fish. It was fun to use different voices while reading this book just as I would have for a three little pigs story.
Dolores
This has to be my all-time favorite read-aloud for this summer's reading theme! I took this book along to my outreach visits to the preschools this year and had such a good time with the "three little pigs and the big bad wolf" concept but with fish and a shark instead. The kids were REALLY into the over-exaggeration of "then along came the BIG...BAD...SHARK!" The houses made of seaweed, sand and eventually a ship let the kids have an opportunity to say whether or not the fish made a wise choice ...more
DelGal
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009, children
This is a bold and colorful rendition of the classic Three Little Pigs tale set with fish as the main characters, instead of course, piggies. The illustrations bring a lot of whimsy to this well known adventure and will be especially enjoyed by fans of cute fish tales.
Christy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Isabella: This book is good because if you were a fish chased by a shark, you would read this book with your fins. You would be glad to have your fin...gers to read your fish book. (Yes Grandpa SHE made this pun all by herself!
Bea
Cute re-telling of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. The artwork is busy but the story works. I read it with my class of one and two year olds and it held their attention.
Jill
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I would have given this 4 stars except the ending was a bit problematic for me. Why, for instance, could the shark now chomp through the wooden boat? It seems that, realistically, this is something a shark could totally do. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think kids will think that, though and will enjoy it. I liked how all his teeth fell out doing it, but felt that it was a bit abrupt and didn't flow as well as the rest of the story. Funny to see a shark eating a "salad."
Anthony
An undersea twist on the classic the three little pigs. This fractured fairy tale has Jim, Tim and Kim leaving their mother's house to live on their own. As each one builds their house a big bad shark comes along and munches and crunches up Jim's house made of seaweed and Tim's house made of sand, but when he attempts to do the same to Kim's house located in an old wooded ship, the shark is in for a surprise.
Relyn
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Junior Library Guild
I have used this book the past two years for my Kindergarten library lesson about retelling. It's an easy book to begin retelling lessons with since the story is already pretty familiar. It's a terrific retelling because what kid doesn't love books featuring sharks? Plus, we all get to cheer when the little guys win.
Marlene
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the story of the three little pigs, you'll love this version! Three little fish set out into the world to seek their fortunes only to be faced with a terrible shark. The outcome is rather funny.
Catherine
This is a great innovation on the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. It can also be used in Primary classrooms as a book related to the short /i/ phonics. Attractive illustrations. It will be a great addition to my sea-themed classroom.
Gabrielle Stoller
This is a very cute retelling of the three little pigs (as you might imagine by the title.) And it worked super well in storytime. However, my older readers pointed out discrepancies in it (like sand not having a door or seaweed being tough to work with.)
Sydney M
The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark
This book resembles the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. But the fist fish made his house out of seaweed. The second made his house out of sand and the third made hers out of a wooden ship.
Lindsay Ross
A hidden "violent" ending.
If the shark lost all his teeth, he wouldn't be enjoying a hearty bowl of seaweed. He would be dead. From starvation.
Katy
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
As advertised.
Brooke Kruger
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
The wording was awkward in places. I get using a variety of vocabulary to help children grow & understand new words - but this felt forced.
Kelly
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This rendition of the Three Little Pigs is very relatable to the board-book reading age group. It's colorful with fun fonts and easy to follow along with.
Sarah Wiwchar
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, this was good.
Rachel Librarian
One of my favorite Storytime books! This is a retelling of The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf.
Diane
"Not by the skin of my finny fin fin."
Lindsay
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a spin-off of the three little pigs. This time it is a shark and three little fish. Super cute!
Victoria
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great for SH sound
Kym
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love this take on the classic"Three little Pigs"
Kelly
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute. Used for shark themed storytime!
The Three Little Pigs - Ocean style! So much fun and so many engagement opportunities for the kids. A great read aloud for my preschool story time!
Neeli
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny take on the familiar story of the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. Rather enjoyable.
Amy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute rendition with fish of the Three Little Pigs. Ending is a hoot!
Kristen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a twist on "The Three Little Pigs". I thought it was really well done: the main elements were all still there, the pigs and wolf were just replaced with fish and shark. The pictures were vibrant and the story was entertaining. My daughter and I liked seeing what type of house each of the fish made. The ending is pretty humorous too. My daughter laughed and had to tell her daddy what happened to the mean shark. This is a book I'd re-read with my daughter in a couple months.
Hailey Indiere
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark (2007) by Ken Geist
Traditional Literature

The story of the three little fish, is much like that of the three little pigs. Mama tells her three little fish that it's time to go out and make their own homes in the deep blue sea. Jim builds his house of seaweed, but the big bad shark comes along and munches it up. Tim, the second little fish, builds his house of sand, but the big bad shark crunches it up. The third little fish, Kim, was much smarter than
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • The Three Little Javelinas
  • Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China
  • I'm Not Scared!
  • Dragon Was Terrible
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • Bear Is Awake!: An Alphabet Story