Start by marking “The Land Girl: An unforgettable historical novel of love and hope” as Want to Read:
The Land Girl: An unforgettable historical novel of love and hope

The Land Girl: An unforgettable historical novel of love and hope

War changes everything…
Emily has always lived a life of privilege. That is until the drums of war came beating. With her father and brother fighting on the front it’s up to her to maintain their family estate.

Working as a land girl Emily finds a new lease to life but when the war is over will life ever be the same again?
Kindle Edition
Published July 8th 2018 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Land Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Girl

Cora Tea Party Princess
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
For the first time in a very long time, I read a book in a single day. I could not put The Land Girl by Allie Burns down, I was so invested in Emily's story. It's a beautiful story, and I absolutely recommend it.

Read the full review here.
Gemma
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
I've really enjoyed reading this, it was a different book to what I usually read and I'm so glad I took that step.
The best part of the whole book is the characters, they are so full and well built they come out of the pages. Emily is such a strong, kind, honest girl you can't help but love her and feel every up and down of her life with her.

The era portrayed in the story was interesting to read abou
Sue Wilsher
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another corker from Allie Burns, who is so good at bringing historical characters alive and showing us what life for women was like. It's nearly the end of WW1 and Emily wants to be a 'land girl' to do her bit for the war, despite her protective mother trying to stop her. Emily carves out a new life for herself and when the war ends she finds herself celebrating the Armistice but also wondering where this leaves her. It's an emotional and dramatic read that has you thinking about just how much t ...more
Kerrie Paterson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5* for this one. I enjoyed the story and the characters, but felt the story could have been more in-depth. Much action seemed to be glossed over or summarised. I also found a few inconsistencies which tripped me up in my reading. Overall I enjoyed the story though and learnt much about Britain in WW1.
Bev Walkling
Many thanks to HQ Digital and #NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy of the Land Girl in exchange for an honest review. The opinions I express are entirely my own.

When I first saw the cover and title of this book I thought it would be set in the time of the Second World War which is a time that fascinates me. I had not realized that Land Girls were also a big part of the Great War. Burns shows very clearly in this novel the class differences that existed during that time between the rich and
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
The Land Girl charts one young woman’s struggle to break free of the bonds of societal norms. The advent of World War I heralded a new era, one where the division of the classes and gender roles became blurred as we worked together to defeat a common foe. The world as we knew it was gone forever.

Emily’s story had me riveted from the off. Filled with passion and spirit, and more gumption than I could ever hope for, Emily is one of those characters that ignites your own inner fire. You want to nu
Camille
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I previously read Allie Burns' first book, The Lido Girls (see my review here, but I was disappointed by it. I didn't realise The Land Girl had the same author when I requested it - the story sounded so interesting I had to request.

I'm glad I did give Allie Burns another chance as The Land Girl was a compelling read. She definitely improved on all the flaws I found in the first book. I did notice a few repetitions, but nothing eye-rolling as it was the case before. I found a lot of the subplots
Tanya Gupta
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Allie Burns has brought WW1 in the Garden of England to life. Just as she did in Lido, she has captured class differences, mother and daughter tensions and massive social change of the time, while her main character, the spirited Emily, is an inspiration for any woman today who wants to fall in love and do her own thing.

Burns sensitively shows the bereavement of war and the ordeals of conscientious objectors and those stories vividly draw you in with her thoughtful insights into how the war was
Deana Luchia
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A moving, entertaining read.

It took me a few pages to get into this book but once in I couldn't put it down. Interesting and very realistic characters grappling with issues we're so lucky we never have to deal with. There's such a strong sense of time and place in this novel; Allie depicts the grief and turmoil felt by everyone in the First World War, the confusion and uncertainty of it all, but also writes so well about the shifting attitudes towards working women. It's packed with historical d
Sally Coles
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emily is frustrated by the restrictions on her priviledged life, the expectation that she will marry well and produce a family regardless of what she wants herself....... so when world war 1 starts she sees an opportunity to get away from her mother and do something for her country as a land girl. Never having had to get her hands dirty before it is a hard life but she revels in it and had never been happier...... but what will happen at the end off the war will she have to go back to her previo ...more
Sarah MacIntyre
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good story based on true events during WW1. A fascinating novel learning about upper/middle upper class women who had no real purpose before the war other than to meet a suitable husband. Woman of all walks of life then became essential workers during the war. Changing their perspective on life this followed the story of fighting to keep jobs when men returned. Also learning about conscientious objectors during this period. Some truly heartbreaking moments of loss and family tragedy. A ...more
Majenica
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book! I love reading about different eras and what they went through. This book nailed it completely! Everything was very well written, and the story line was great. I started reading this book at bedtime (because I'm a rebel..haha) and I stayed awake until it was finished, because I couldn't put it down. It kept me engrossed, and was never boring at all. It was a very interesting book, and I easily could, and probably will, read it again!
Jane
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another page-turner by Allie Burns! The story is obviously meticulously researched but above all it's a great story, about the changes wrought on women's lives by WW1. I loved the descriptions of the farm and the seasons changing around it, as well as the unfolding relationships between Emily and her family/colleagues. Read it in a day :)
Rachel
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful read. Set towards the end of the war, Emily longs to break free, to help, to be useful. To be viewed as more than a daughter, a sister, a possession, a woman. The writing style is relaxed and easy, the story unfurling page by page. Sparky heroines and frustrating mothers make this book well worth the read. How far we have come as women, and still how far to go...
Liz French
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

I loved this book. It combines World War One with the beginnings of the suffragette movement. It was lovely to read a book set in this time from the women’s perspective which was relatable to the struggles that many woman have today.
Sally
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a really interesting glimpse into a part of history that I'm fascinated by and with great characters. I wasn't familiar with the author beforehand but will definitely look out for more by her in the future!
Kathleen Gray
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good read for those looking for old fashioned storytelling and historical fiction. Set during WWI, it focuses on Emily, who finds herself working as land girl. She's got a lot to learn, not only about agriculture but also about life and people. It's an interesting character study. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. For US fans of certain BBC dramas on PBS (you know who you are!).
Anne Hokenstad