Start by marking “The Lost Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Lost Daughter

The Lost Daughter

A Russian princess. An extraordinary sacrifice. A captivating secret...

From the author of The Secret Wife, a gripping journey through decades and across continents, of love, devastating loss and courage against all odds.

1918
With the country they once ruled turned against them, the future of Russia's imperial family hangs in the balance. When middle daughter Maria

Published October 3rd 2018 by Review

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Daughter, please sign up.
Gill Paul HI Lisa, this is coming out in the UK on 18th October. Sorry about the confusion! Gill

Start your review of The Lost Daughter
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I AM COMPLETELY OVERCOME WITH EMOTION

I mean... wow! I DEVOURED this book in mere hours! And afterwards I had to just sit there for a while, taking it all in and getting myself ready to move on with my life. Okay, so maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but this one really hit me hard!

"It [Ipatiev House] doesn't seem like a place where we can have fun; it's more like a mausoleum in which we have been interred."
- Anastasia

THE THINGS I LOVED!

Transported: Very few books manage to completely grab my
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
A beautifully-told, sweeping story of “what if.”

I’ve read a few books about Anastasia’s life and the “what ifs,” and The Lost Daughter is about Grand Duchess Maria, Anastasia’s sister.

In 1918, Grand Duchess Maria Romanov is nineteen and the daughter of former Tsar Nicholas II. She lives with her family in isolation and fear. She innocently flirts with the guards occasionally, which may save her life.

In the second timeline taking place in the 1970s, Val Doyle’s father confesses, “I didn’t
Amanda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Before I start this review I have to say I absolutely adored this book and devoured every word scared that I might miss something!! How can I do this mesmerising book justice in my review?

This amazing journey starts in 1918 where the Romanov family are imprisoned. We meet Marie a chatterbox who makes friends with the guards. Sadly the family life’s lives are doomed.

In the 1970’s Val is planning to leave her abusive husband and start a new life with her daughter Nicole. She gets a call from the
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

The minutes crawled interminably, so slow she suspected the clock had been tampered with in order to torture them.

That evening, she explained to Nicole that a judge had decided she did not have to visit her daddy anymore. “OK.” Nicole nodded, quite happy with this. “Will I get a new daddy now? What do we have to do? Should we apply somewhere?”

If you can help someone without harming anyone else, then why on earth wouldn’t you do it?

My Review:

This was my first experience of being
Paige
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A telling chronicle of love and loss. Without the tough moments, the outcome of life would be different. Would you trade a heartbreak in your past if you knew that you would be sacrificing something fulfilling that you would have in your future?

1918- There were always rumors that perhaps one of the Romanov girls survived. In The Lost Daughter, the story begins with the Romanovs being taken to the Ipatiev House. Being held as captives by the Bolsheviks, we see their imprisoned state through the
Eva
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Gosh, I don’t think I can put into words how much I loved The Lost Daughter. As soon as I finished the final page, I wanted to talk to someone about it, say “Oh my god, this novel, you have to read this now!”. Then I sat down to write my review, and poof, all my words were gone. I couldn’t seem to get past “amazing”, “awesome”, “brilliant” … which are all true but I’m guessing a review should have a few more words, right?

There are a few authors for whom I’d happily drop whatever it is I’m doing
Sue
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing well-researched novel by an author who excels at historic fiction. In this novel, she brings us a story about the Romanov family in Russia who were slaughtered in 1918 by the Red Army who opposed the royal family. There has long been speculation that one of the four daughters survived. This book is a 'what if' story - what if Maria really survived the massacre.

The novel begins when the Romanov family is taken from their large estate and locked up under house arrest in a very
Karen
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s no secret to anyone who reads my blog that Gill Paul is a much favourite author. I’ve read all her most recent books and reviewed them on the blog.

In a previous book, ‘The Secret Wife‘, we were told the ‘what if’ story of Tatiana, one of the Romanov daughters. This time, its the turn of middle daughter, 19 year old Maria. The story begins in Ekaterinburg in 1918, just at the time the Romanov family are imprisoned at what was to be their final destination, in the Impatiev House. The fate of
Trish at Between My Lines
Absolutely spellbinding. The alternative story to what might have happened to Maria, the middle Romanov child held me riveted to the page.

Hand on heart, I loved the characters, the setting, the plot. Basically everything. Gill Paul is rapidly becoming one of my favourite historical fiction authors as I love how vividly she portrays Russian history in an easy to digest format.

Her entire back catalogue is now on my to read.
Amanda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Lit Bitch
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read one of Gill Paul’s novels last year and loved it. I was so excited to see that she was writing a novel about the Romanov family that was coming out in August. Rather than pick up one of her other novels, I decided to hold off and wait for this one to come out.

The Romanov tragedy is fascinating to me. It’s one of the greatest tragedies in modern history, but while I am fascinated by it, I haven’t actually read a lot about the family and the history or politics of the time.

This was one of
Kelly
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Starting in 1918, The Lost Daughter tells a story of Maria Romanov before and after the execution of the Romanov family. It also follows a story in 1973 of Val Doyle who discover her estranged father’s Russian ties upon his death. This novel is a page-turner! While most of Maria’s story is fiction, Gill Paul presents an extremely well researched image of Russia from 1918 through WWII. I was thoroughly engaged with both timelines. .

I’m so pleased that William Morrow Books introduced me to this
Sue K
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Gill Paul's books and was pleased to see she has returned to the fate of the Romanovs in this novel. I loved The Secret Wife which recounted the story of what supposedly happened to Grand Duchess Tatiana. Here she tells the story of what may have happened to Maria after the execution of the Romanovs in Ekaterinburg. The story is seamlessly interwoven with that of an Australian lady, Val Scott, born to a Russian émigré and a Chinese woman. Val is in an abusive relationship with Tony and ...more
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction~on hiatus))
I fell in love with Gill Paul's writing when I read Another Woman's Husband last year and The Lost Daughter is another brilliant, extraordinary book and probably the most wonderful historical fiction novel that I've read all year.

Give me a novel about European royalty, and I'm immediately hooked. I've always been fascinated by what happened to the Romanovs and about the people who later claimed to be surviving members of the family, so I couldn't wait to read Paul's factual account of the
Heather Webb
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting…THE LOST DAUGHTER tells the compelling story of what could have been for Romanov Princess Maria, had her life taken a different turn, and the way her choices rippled through time and across distance. At once richly descriptive and mysterious, Gill Paul demonstrates her extraordinary talents in this deeply affecting tale of war, forgiveness, and family legacy.
BookQueen
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you HBG for sending me this novel!!

So it's rare that I pick up historical fiction but anything about the Romanov royal family has always intrigued me. When I was a little kid, my favourite movie was Anastasia. I know, it's just an animation for kids but as I got older, I learned that the Romanov's were a real royal family with a tragic ending and their history and deaths has always been a mystery.

Gill Paul uses historical facts and real people involved in the Romanov lives to bring
Val
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm thrilled to have won a giveaway for an ARC of this absolutely riveting book!! I found myself completely lost in the period details and wanted to know more, more, more. I couldn't bear to put the book down.

The Lost Daughter is told over two timelines. One follows Maria Romanov in Russia from April 1918, on. The second timeline follows Val in Sydney, Australia, from October 1973. Both women are going through difficulties, but for very different reasons, and both stories are heartbreaking yet
Kimberly Mussell
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. There was definitely a lot of heart in this novel. Looking forward to read more from Gill!
Nancy
I always love a good historical novel. I’ve stopped reading books on Anastasia - had she lived since I read an excellent book by Robert Massey that disabused me of any notion that she survived. What a wonderful take on the Romanovs to imagine another sister surviving and living a full life in Russia! I loved the imaginations of what her life would look like.

I want to read this author’s other book on Tatiana.
Katherine Sunderland
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Really enjoyed this well told, historical tale about one of the most famous royal families in history. Paul chooses a slightly different member of the Russian family on which to base her novel which made the story feel fresh and original, despite being so familiar with some of the details. The setting, atmosphere and context is effortlessly created and the characters are very much alive. The reader is quickly absorbed in a tale of love, grief and survival against all odds. This was a really easy ...more
Lauren
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! What a ride. This book had me laughing, crying and kept me guessing with so many mysteries and twists and turns. Such an emotional story I have to commend the author. This is a fantastic reimagining of the potential story of Maria Romanova, one of the Grand Duchesses. Extremely well researched and full of human emotion, I could not put this down. Highly recommend!
Tripfiction
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel set in mainly in Russia

Gill Paul is an author who can formulate good and very readable stories and this is no exception.

There has always been debate whether any of the Romanov children survived the execution in 1918. This is the fictional story of Maria Romanova, who was the first child to accompany her parents to Ekaterinburg to while away their final months under house arrest. The other children followed on a little later.

Maria seems a rambunctious young woman who is charming and
Lynda Kelly
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wow !! It takes some doing but this is another 5* read by this author making EVERY one of her stories a favourite of mine ! I'm soooooooo impressed. That happens so rarely as others in my favourites' file I'm sure haven't all had 5* the whole way through !! The only other I can bring to mind is Viveca Sten. So they're in a very elite little club ! Bearing in mind, the story doesn't only need to be terrific but presentation spot on as well for me so it's no easy feat time after time.
Gill Paul
Karen
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again I am in love with a Gill Paul book and am so sad that it is over.
Saturday's Child
This one almost escaped my attention.
Yvonne
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has two timelines, one in 1918 and the other in the 1970s. I was curious how these two would eventually link up as they also span two different continents. A story of tragedy, love, betrayal, and heartbreak amongst the turmoil of 1918 Russia, and in the 70s a daughter trying to discover the meaning behind her fathers’ mysterious ramblings.

What an absolutely fabulous read, full of emotion and completely addictive. From the start, I noticed the details that showed the evidence of a
Hazel
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Arc of this story from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read a Gill Paul story prior to this one however I am now going to fix that as I loved this story and the clever way in which she told it weaving together historical fact with believable fiction.

For a long time I have been interested in the history of Russia and one of those interests is the Russian Royal family and the mystery surrounding their deaths which to this day I don’t believe all the facts are
Anna
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devoured in only a couple days, a fresh take on the tragedy of the Romanov dynasty's fate. I enjoyed learning of Maria and reading a book about the potential survival of a Romanov other than Anastasia. Also, a very interesting and realistic (to my knowledge) portrayal of early Communist Russia. I was far more invested in the past timeline than the modern day portion of the story though, even if the connection was interesting. A sweeping epic spanning from 1918 to 2007, I'd recommend it if you ...more
Kate
There is something enchanting about this novel. I could not put it down at all during the emotionally powerful second half. So much of 20th-century Russian history is brought to life here, but the section I won't forget quickly is the one dealing with the Siege of Leningrad. There are two strands to this story and I loved the way in which they came together. 4.5 stars rounded up. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Lor
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having loved Gill Paul books since I first stumbled across one of hers over three years ago, I have always looked forward to when a new novel of hers has landed through my door. Having read all of Gill's books I can safely say that this is her best yet and it is absolutely fantastic! It is the kind of book where you devour every single page and are taken on an emotional rollercoaster of a journey that leaves you with a huge book handover afterwards where you can't stop thinking about the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What did you think of this book? 1 1 Nov 05, 2019 11:57AM
The Lost Daughter...: The first 5 chapters... 2 3 Oct 02, 2018 05:39PM
The Lost Daughter...: What are your expectations of this book? 1 3 Jul 17, 2018 08:36PM
The Lost Daughter...: Welcome 1 1 Jul 15, 2018 05:42PM

• Summer of Secrets
  • Milady
  • The Accidentals
  • A Woman of War
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Orphan's Song
Gill Paul writes historical fiction, including The Lost Daughter (set in Stalinist Russia and Sydney), Another Woman's Husband (about Wallis Simpson and Princess Diana), The Secret Wife (about the Romanovs), No Place for a Lady (set during the Crimean War), Women and Children First (set on the Titanic) and The Affair (set in 1960s Rome during the making of the Burton-Taylor Cleopatra film).

She
“The ideas behind Communism are sound, but the wrong people got into power.” 0 likes
“It's human nature to try to look for patterns in life,' Val said, 'but I suppose most things are random.” 0 likes