Start by marking “Torn (Tattered Heart Duet #1)” as Want to Read:
Torn (Tattered Heart Duet #1)

Torn (Tattered Heart Duet #1)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Ryan Blake is off limits. She is everything I shouldn't want, but do.

She's my best friend's sister, so feelings for her are out of the question. Her passion and fire trigger a spark in the dark hollows of my heart.

Now she's turning eighteen, and my resolve is starting to wear thin. I know I don’t deserve her, but I can't walk away.

No matter how my heart aches for her, I
Published March 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Torn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torn

Brooke O'Brien
Feb 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The complete Tattered Heart duet is LIVE! Buy your copy of TORN and TATTERED for only 99¢ or read for FREE with Kindle Unlimited.

TORN (#1)

Amazon UK: amzn.eu/2qKcDsc
Amazon AU: amzn.to/2pfXeJx

Na Dine Bookaddict
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

"I just wanted to help heal him, but in the end he broke me."

I've had some internal discussions with me on how to rate this book. On the one hand I enjoyed reading it, on the other I wish some things had been done different. I know this is "only" a novella and therefore it can't deep dive in certain topics or make a huge roll-out of the whole story-line. However the most important thing that IMO was missing, is the part where Ryan and Maverick fall in love. Maybe it's there, but I didn'
♥️Fantasy Land Blog Book Reviewer♥️
What a sweet coming of age novella.

This story is a best friend in love with the friend's sister. Maverick has been secretly in love with his friend's sister for a while. And now that she is turning 18 all games are off.

Ryan is turning 18 and feels that she can finally show her feelings to Maverick. And just when she does, he decides he needs to make a better life for himself.

This is a duet and does end on a cliffhanger. I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy for my honest review.
melissasbookworld
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"My heart feels like it's been torn in two. In that moment, I make a promise to myself never to forget this feeling. I'll carry the tattered pieces of my heart with me..."

And here I am, crying my eyeballs out after just finishing Torn. This book turned out to be all that Brooke promised us and more. It left me craving more - THANK FREAKING GOD, that I have the e-arc of Tattered on the kindle otherwise I'd go even more ballistic after reading this ending and knowing I won't be able to read on, lo
Up All Night With Books
***ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review***

What’s worse than falling in love with your best friend’s sister? How about keeping it to yourself and hoping that things work out? Torn by Brooke O’Brien tells the story of two people so clearly in love that they’ve reached their own breaking point.

Maverick’s been in love with Ryan, his best friend Dean’s twin sister, since the day he first met her. As hard as he tries he can’t keep his feelings hidden form her forever. With a disast
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
-Kacie, 5 stars

Torn. It’s an excellent name for the book because my heart has been torn out of my chest. So many emotions, so many tears.

Ryan is the feisty and sassy yet sweet girl next door. She’s very honest and doesn’t mind saying what’s on her mind. She is someone I could see being friends with. I love her love for art. She draws on her arms but she only draws what has meanings and feelings to her. I hope her arm art turns into tattoos.

Maverick is the kind of boy you want your daughter to
wendy Shelton(obsessedbybooks)
I love this genre. Ryan is off limits to Maverick cause of Ryan's brother, they are bffs, but the chemistry is to hard to ignore plus Ryan helps Maverick to forget how he's home life is , but he can't stick around he has to do what's right or at least what he thinks, so after one beautiful night with Ryan he leaves her with a note. Is there future for them, will he be back? Torn is bk.1 in the Torn and Tattered series.
Brandy Roberts
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked Torn going in I knew this was a duet and I usually try to stay away from those kinds of stores by I've read a few books by the author and enjoyed them so I'm happy that I gave it a chance because it was really good had me craving the next one in the Tattered heart duet . I was hooked to the story and what the characters were going through it all intrigued me til the very end and even then it stayed with me for awhile .
hero=8 heroine=9 secondary characters=9 Chemistry=9 steam=6
ro
Sarah Horwath
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved and enjoyed Torn. Really a great book to just dive into. I love both characters and the chemistry they had. Torn is a really good quick read that you can read to help when you can't really a really long book. Can't wait to dig into the second book.
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
Torn is first books in this duet and it was a lot shorter than I expected it to be. I finished it in just over an hour and I wish I'd be warned about its short length on requesting it.

In general, I'm not really sure what to make of Torn. On one hand it held my attention, but then on the other it was a short read so there weren't many pages to hold my attention. Personally, I felt it only scraped the surface of the story that could have been created about Maverick and Ryan. I know their story is
♚Julia ~ The Romance Rebels ♚

"I wish I was strong enough to stay...."

Torn by Brooke O'Brien is Maverick and Ryan's story.
Ryan has always longed for her brother's best friend. With the lingering stares, and little touches, things start to heat up. But Maverick doesn't want to betray his best friends trust, with the horrors he has to deal with at home... he just want's one thing to go right. And if that means he can't be with Ryan so be it.

"My heart feels like it's been torn in two. In that moment, I make a promis
Jennifer Pierson
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Torn was a shorter read being a novella and all, but I was shocked to find how invested I found myself with Ryan & Maverick with the length. Ryan is Dean's twin brother, who is best friends with Maverick, so that alone means that Maverick should stay away from Ryan. However, he's waited until she turned 18 before the lines really got blurry between friendship & the girl. And that's all I need to say about the plot. Ryan is a feisty girl who has a thing for Maverick, but thought he would ...more
Atlanta Whitlock
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I got to pick up Torn as I loved both of Brooke O'Brien's books from the Heart's Compass series, so the fact that I was able to read more of her work just made it all the better. Brooke has such a unique writing style and with each word that you read of hers you can't help but want to carry on reading. Yet again, she has exceeded expectations and I honestly can't wait to see what else she comes up with. Seriously though, if you haven't picked up any of Brooke's work then yo ...more
Ann Marie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aaaaah yes, young love. *SMILES* I remember those days lol.
So we get to meet young Maverick in Torn and he is the best friend of Ryan’s brother Dean who is her twin brother. Maverick lives a few houses down. I love the interactions between Maverick and Ryan (Rebel), her wit is hilarious and his draw to her is palpable. So is her draw to him. While dealing with loss and the temper of his father (who is grief-stricken) Maverick wants nothing more than to put distance between his home and his fath
Amanda*Tears & Lipstick Smears Book Blog
description

This review is going to be short and sweet since this is book one of the Tattered Heart Duet.

I loved Ryan. She was this fiery little thing with a smart mouth but she could be sweet. Especially when it came to Maverick. I love how she had the lady balls to force Maverick to face his feelings for her.

I loved Maverick too. Don’t we all love the damaged ones? The ones that make us want to soothe their bruised soul with a little TLC?

I was excited when he decided to be with Ryan. And then he had to g
Danielle R (Spellbound Stories)
Shelves: angsty, arc

description

Torn by Brooke O’Brien is the first novella in the A Tattered Hearts Duet. I often have a harder time appreciating novellas because they are simply too short for me. That said, I loved Torn; it exceeded every expectation I had and then some… I am newer to Brooke and really excited to pick up more of her books. Torn is Ryan and Maverick’s story and I can’t tell you how awesome it was. The angst was ooohhhh soooooo delicious. Something about Mav really made the temperature’s increase in my vicinit
Stacey Broadbent
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a beautiful story. I can’t wait to get into the next one!

Torn tells the story of Maverick and Ryan. Well, the beginning of their story anyway, and all I can say is, I want more!
Maverick is this sweet, kindhearted boy with a not so nice household environment.
Ryan is his best friend’s sister. Dean is a typical brother - overprotective. Any guy who so much as raises an eye at Ryan gets warned off.

I’m already a fan of Miss O’Brien, and this is definitely another one to add to the faves.
Melissa Schaub
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh that ending though... I am so happy that I have the second book to dive into, because I would be heartbroken if I couldn’t find out how it ends! This is a short story about a hidden love, living on borrowed time, loneliness and feeling like it’s you against the world. I think I devoured the entire book in less than an hour!
Maverick is a broken shell of a man and hides the ugliest parts of his life from everyone. Until his best friends sister makes him want to tell her everything but as usual
Tish Delanoy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an emotional and beautiful story of forbidden love and heartbreak. Ryan has had a crush on Maverick from the beginning but him being her twin brothers best friend complicated things. But now she is 18 and things have begun to change. But with Maverick's home life things may not turn out the way they want. I sat down and read this in one sitting because I really wanted to know how things turned out, but that ending......

This book was given to me at my request and I provided this review volun
Yvonne Eason
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant quick read book by Brooke O'Brian. It is also book one with book two being Tattered. Which I am currently reading. I am so glad I got them together as I didn't want to wait to find out what happens between Mav and Ryan.

Even though it is a quick read the book is full of emotion. The feelings that come from the book as you read pulls at your heart.

We all have that one person we crush over when we are young. The person who is out of bounds for whatever reason. What happens thoug
Kristi
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED Where I found you and Lost before you...so anything I can find about these characters I click..quickly! This is Maverick and Ryan's story. Ryan is the little sister..until she isn't. She is the one that Maverick can't get out of his head. He resists ..until he doesn't. Ryan and Maverick build the connection from best friend's little sister to true love. Theirs is young love and the author does a great job building the foundation of their connection. But Maverick's home life is troubled, ...more
Lori ~ BF Bookies
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novella! Torn is a well-written story that had all the good stuff to suck me in and make me fall for the characters, Maverick and Ryan. We get glimpses into their past, and we get to see their attraction build into something more. The chemistry between these two...sparks flew when they were near each other!

Ryan has had a crush on Maverick since they met years ago. She’s beautiful, caring... and she really wants Mav.

Maverick.. quiet, troubled, best friends with Ryan’s twin
Fran Zoch, LSoR
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am new to this author and have found out about her first two books which I will be reading asap.

My heart was so full to broken with Maverick and Ryan, Ryan is his best friends twin sister and he knows he should stay away for her sake , Ryan has had a crush on Maverick forever and the chemistry between these two is off the charts, I am not giving anything away since it is just coming out but as soon as I post this I am starting on Tattered!!!!
Candy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, best-of-2018
Oh my bring the tissues they'll be needed at the end, this is a cliffhanger. Loved it! A must read short series!
Brooke you made me cry in a short amount of time but I loved every minute. You did an excellent job telling the beginning of Maverick and Ryan's story. You write with your heart in the beginning of the Tattered Heart Duet. You give an epilogue into what we will be getting, so you prepared us but it wasn't enough to feel the heartache at the end for both characters. The heart and passi
Rox's Reads - Rox Leblanc
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Torn is book one in a duet that has connections with Brooke's first books in the Hearts Compass. I really enjoyed going back to the beginning, back when the characters were teenagers, to see how they met and became friends. I am still waiting for Grahams full story so every piece of backstory I get is another puzzle piece placed.

Ryan and Maverick are typical teenagers from the outside but both struggle with the pains of  growing up. Maverick suffers in silence, keeping his homelife hidden from m
K.L. Jessop
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I just wanted to help heal him, but in the end, he broke me."

At some point in life, some of us experience that pull where two people are destined to be together but something stops it from happening, be it fear or simply caring too much for that other person, leaving you both not knowing what the future holds and your heart completely torn. Brooke has created a beautiful novella full of all the feels when it comes to Maverick and Ryan and I felt every single one.

I adored this book and can't w
Amanda Gillespie Shock N Awe Book Blog
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Torn by Brooke O'Brien is Maverick and Ryan's story and is brilliantly done! I love stories about young sweet love and can not wait to read part 2. I have been a fan of Brooke's since first reading her book Lost Before you and I am so happy to have found her! I am looking forward to what she has in store next.
Suzanne
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is an emotional ride. While this book could be classed as a YA story, it leads into the NA but does it ever pack a punch. I honestly devoured this one so fast! You can feel that connection between Ryan and Maverick right from the start. They have this kindred spirit with each other. An amazing push and pull. Even though Ryan’s brother did not want it to happen, he couldn’t control how much these two felt for each other. My heart broke and literally was torn seeing the pain that Ryan w ...more
Kasey McCarthy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maverick met Ryan through her brother Dean. Maverick and Dean were best friends but Dean warned him to leave his little sister alone. Maverick valued the friends but when Ryan turned 18 he couldn’t resist. Will Maverick and Ryan get what they want? How will everything effect Dean and Maverick’s relationship? I this book can’t wait to read next part of their story!
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
There’s nothing like the feeling of a first love! Everything so new so wonderful, but what happens if the man you love is your brothers best friend? What do you do when the only person you’ve ever wanted is someone you can’t touch?

Ryan and Maverick felt the sparks from their first meeting but the cards were stacked against them! When Maverick needs to make a quick decision he runs to the first person he knows will bring him comfort; Ryan!

I loved meeting Maverick and Ryan and cant wait to concl
« previous 1 3 next »
Brooke O’Brien is the author of the Heart’s Compass series. She recently released the Tattered Heart duet, Torn (#1) and Tattered (#2), a steamy, angsty older brother's best friend romance.

Growing up Brooke always had a love of writing; she started out writing poetry when she was young and began journaling her thoughts as she grew older. Diving headfirst into a good book has always been therapeut
More about Brooke O'Brien

Tattered Heart Duet (2 books)
  • Tattered (Tattered Heart Duet #2)