Start by marking “The Last Life of Prince Alastor (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Life of Prince Alastor (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #2)

The Last Life of Prince Alastor

(The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #2)

Three hundred years ago, fate bound Prosper Redding and Prince Alastor of the Third Realm together. Now the human boy and fiend heir to the demon kingdom must put aside a centuries-old blood feud to save everything they love.

Alastor will guide Prosper through the demon realm—under one huge condition: Prosper must enter into a contract with the malefactor residing in him,
ebook
Published February 5th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Last Life of Prince Alastor, please sign up.
Rhett Nyx I'm not a genius, but I imagine you wait till the publication date, then purchase the book. Once bought, you simply open the book and start on the…moreI'm not a genius, but I imagine you wait till the publication date, then purchase the book. Once bought, you simply open the book and start on the first page. Hope that helps!(less)
Courtney Griffin On this link http://www.alexandrabracken.com/prosp... it refers to this book as "the ghastly end is near!" so I think it might be just a duology.

megs_bookrack
Happy Pub Day to this adorable tale of dread & despair!!

I am a 1/4 of the way into this and am enjoying it so much. Alastor was my favorite character from the first book so I am so happy this one focuses more on him. Getting to experience the 'Downstairs' is such a treat. It is dark & delicious.

Pick up your copy today!!!

KC
In this second installment of Alexandra Bracken's follow up to The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding, Prosper, Nell and the malevolent being Alastor head "downstairs" to rescue Prosper's sister Prue. Meeting ogres and elves and having to face Alastor's own evil sister, Pyra, Prosper hopes to finally put an end to the Redding curse, save himself and everyone he loves before it is too late. With all the similar excitement from the first story and incredible imaginative settings, part two of this fa ...more
Alexis
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously! I completely loved this book. It picks up right after the first, which was honestly refreshing, considering a lot of books have time jumps. Every book that Alexandra Bracken writes I feel like gets better and better. I’m not going to go into details as it’s a sequel. All that I can say is that this book delivered and I recommend reading this duology !
Brittney
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Thank you Disney Book Group for sending me an eARC copy of this via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
*Please refrain from reading this review if you have not yet read The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (Prosper Redding Book #1).

4.25 / 5 stars
The Last Life of Prince Alastor continues the tale of Prosper Redding. Alexandra Bracken weaves well-represented friendship, self-finding, good purpose and understanding, as well as change for the benefitual within this novel. Prosper Redding mu
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loveddddddddd this book. It was so good. While it was not as great as the first, which set the world and characters up, it did go into a whole new world. I loved the characters and story! I highly recommend this book not just for middle grade but for adults and teens too!
Cas
God, I'm not emotional, you're emotional. This was so good. I can't believe an ancient demon and a disaster of a kid and a cat with bat wings gave me enough feelings to wish I could go off and make a contract to take my heart away from me? I don't want it?

RTC
Ally
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The sequel picks up immediately where the first book left off. Prosper Redding finally makes a pact with the fiend Alastor and goes through the portal to Below to rescue his twin sister Prue. Upon entering the world of Below, Prosper must be smart in order to rescue Prue from Alastor’s younger sister Pyra. However, Alastor learns that there is a dark force in his homeland that is eating up all the magic and destroying the world — not only that, but Alastor finds out the fiendish society has chan ...more
Samantha
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
While this book had some clever components and sharply funny moments, it was a significant step down from the first book in the series.

So much of what was good about Bracken's first Prosper Redding book was about atmosphere, and the decision to set the second book largely in the demon realm damaged that badly. The setting for this book had some flashes of brilliance (the Disney World parody was excellent), but otherwise it felt half-baked and generic.

The plot felt convoluted and meandering, an
Jerby  Verderosa
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that I might need a moment to gather my thoughts for this one.

This two-part fantasy series is really special to me. In a lot of ways, I’m still exploring why in my mind — but I know that that this is the sort of story that I will be rereading. I wish that I could write about its predecessor as well (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding), but I read that one back in 2018.

My first, knee-jerk response to this novel: it’s Halloween Percy Jackson. And I mean that in the very best of ways. I
Samantha Beard
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I requested an eARC of The Last Life of Prince Alastor by Alexandra Bracken a very long time ago. It was actually one of the first books I ever requested on NetGalley, and it was a huge surprise to me when I actually got it. In case you missed it, I did a full review of the first book in this series The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. I loved that book, so I was really excited to get back to these characters, especially Alastor.

If you haven’t already read book 1 of this series, there may be s
Brittney
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.25 / 5 stars
The Last Life of Prince Alastor continues the tale of Prosper Redding. Alexandra Bracken weaves well-represented friendship, self-finding, good purpose and understanding, as well as change for the beneficial within this novel. Prosper Redding mu
Amy Braun
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great ending to a really fun duology! I quickly remembered all the players and what was going on in their universe. It was really cool to see another version of the underworld that was a little more lighthearted and, dare I say, fun, than most interpretations of the underworld. I know that goes with the target audience, but it was still a nice change!

The lore and world building was great, and I loved the comparisons drawn between Aalstor and his memories versus what is seen when Alas
Kirstin (gryffindorkwinchester)
I received an e-ARC of The Last Life Of Prince Alastor, via NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review. So a big thank-you to the people over at Disney Books for the early read!!

A really fun and spooky sequel to an already unforgettable story. We start this book right where the first ended and follow Prosper while he travels to The Third Realm to save his sister. We got even more world building in this second instalment, and I loved being back in this story! The plot was action packed and the c
my_life_full_of_stories
A great ending to the duology!
I will miss these characters, especially Alastor who grew up so much in this book.
Aleta
May 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: series-companion
!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
Having not read the first book did pose problems at times, but the author does a somewhat decent job of "previously-ing". I really wished that more time had been spent in the market, that it had been expanded because there were hints of some really interesting things going on. Alastor's voice in Prosper's head was very funny, the mixture of contempt, interest, cunning, cattiness and self-preservation working really well. Prosper himself grows during the book, learning how to get around Alastor's ...more
Lourdes
Jul 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
I need to have this book ASAP!
Lauren Parrott
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"What evil can come from a choice made with a pure heart and the best of intentions?"

If you know me, you know it's essentially impossible for me to talk about books without talking about The Darkest Minds. Ergo, it's impossible for me to talk about my favorite authors without bringing up Alexandra Bracken. From dystopian worlds to time travel troubles to middle-grade Halloween-ish adventures, I've never once walked away from a Bracken book without being absolutely and utterly gobsmacked. And, un
Jennifer Murphy
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable book by Alexandra Bracken. You must read her first book, The Dreadful Tail of Prosper Redding, in order for this one to make any sense. After that, this book blends a lot of fantasy elements (witches, demons, etc) in a fast paced story. It takes place in a few towns placed in Massachusetts which lends some credible backdrop to the story. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Amanda Northrup
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I was surprised to enjoy the first Prosper Redding book so much. Unfortunately, this installment suffers from the dreaded Second Book Slump. The pacing is slow and the plot is not particularly intriguing. But the world is extremely well developed - The realm of demons is fascinating!!
Andrea
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last Life continues and concludes the tale of Prosper Redding, following the main cast of characters downstairs as they try to rescue Prue. Fiendish fun is a superb description of the adventure, relationships, and conclusion of this highly recommended duology.

(The audiobook is wonderful and the reason for any spelling or name mistakes I make below.)

The relationship between Prosper and Alastor is fantastic, and I love that they never lose that. It is a great source of amusement and the insults b
Jacquelyn Pace
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alexandra Bracken is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I enjoy her writing style and how beautifully she constructions sentences and creates worlds within worlds. I loved the first Prosper Redding book and was devastated to reach the cliffhanger ending because I didn't realize that there was supposed to be another book! Thankfully the second one really made all the waiting worth it because the sequel does an outstanding job of writing up the stories and bringing everything to a satisf ...more
Charlene
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like that this book left the setting of the first book and took the reader on an entirely new adventure in Downstairs. It was fun being able to visualize and read about what the fiends' home looked like. I was touched by the ending, and the change was believable.

I was a little frustrated that Prosper didn't use the information he had to keep everyone safe. I understand that he didn't want to force anyone to do something against their will, but only the black and white areas were addressed. Bu
Serenity
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2019
*I received a free eARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley*

I read about half of this book in one sitting. I think I may have enjoyed it just a smidge more than the first book. It was interesting to see how Prosper coped with the change of circumstances, and with Alastor's growing presence. Alastor's snarky presence was also fun to read, and his character development was engaging.

I did think some of the characters we met near the end were...unexpected, but I still enjoyed it.

(vie
Jeremy West
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adore this series so much, and this new book is no different! Though not set in creepy Salem like book one, Prosper goes on a harrowing journey Downstairs to the demon realm to save his sister who was kidnapped by Pyra, Alastor's malfactor sister! While the setting differs greatly from the first book, readers will love with whip-smart dialogue between Prosper and Alastor just as much and possibly even wish they could visit the world of Downstairs themselves, with all its icky, creepy locations ...more
Sheryle
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I found this second book in the series to be marginally better than the first. There were times when I thought the author was trying too hard to be clever and cute and it all just got a bit too over-the-top for me. About a fourth of the way in, I was ready to give up. But, I stuck it out and the book did improve. I do think, however, middle schoolers might enjoy it.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Kat
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Disney Book Group for the E-Arc copy of The Last Life of Prince Alastor.
Alexandra Bracken is a talented writer and storyteller. If you haven't read these books you are missing out. I can honestly say that this one is better than the first one! A very rare thing for a series!
Meshia Chatman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher, for allowing me to review this book.
I really enjoy this book and will be missing these characters. If you haven't pick up this series, you are missing out. I am in love with Alexandra Bracken writing and can't wait for her upcoming/future novels.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Scorch Dragons (Elementals, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Practically Ever After (Ever After, #3)
  • Charlie Small 1:  Gorilla City
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School #5)
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe
  • The Me I Meant to Be
  • Untitled (Alex Stern, #2)
  • Gallant
  • Burning Magic (Shadow Magic, #3)
  • Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)
  • Infinity Base (Omega City #3)
  • Untitled
  • Midnight Beauties (Grim Lovelies, #2)
  • Untitled
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A

The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (2 books)
  • The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #1)