Start by marking “Missing Signal” as Want to Read:
Missing Signal

Missing Signal

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  43 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Missing Signal―a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a government conspiracy? Agent Terrence Kovacs has worked for the New Petersburg Counter-Intel Department propagating fake UFO stories for so long that even he has a hard time separating fact from fiction. Especially when he’s approached by a beautiful woman named Vita, who claims she’s been sent from another planet to li ...more
Paperback, Advanced Reader Copy, 206 pages
Published 2018 by Meerkat Press

To ask other readers questions about Missing Signal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Signal

really liked it 4.00  ·

David Katzman
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Skillful, enjoyable writing, a surreal atmosphere, and an intriguing story. Yet it ends too abruptly without much resolution. This is really a short story posing as a novel. It's delightful, but the end felt strangled, as if this book could easily have been extended to a novel and instead, in the interest of leaving a "mystery" for the reader, is simple cut short with too few answers.

Missing Signal takes place in some slightly-off alternate reality. It's not too far off, perhaps slightly futuris
Benoit Lelièvre
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another daring, psychedelic experiment from professor Doubinsky.

Halfway into a 1970s thriller and an existential novel, Missing Signal is not really a novel about aliens. Oh no, sir. Nothing's that easy with Doubinsky. It's a metanovel about perception and control of information that breaks through the boundaries of simple narrative structure. It's one of these doubt-every-word-you-read kind of book and I'm always up for one of these.
T.E. Grau
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aliens are among us. That's what the government wants us to think it doesn't want us to know. But, like everything else that passes for conspiracy and truth in the cold, gleaming City States, unraveling the obfuscation is just a card trick to keep us scrambling for ghosts, while the real work by the Powers That Be goes on. New Petersburg Counter-Intel Agent Terrace Kovacs knows this, and happily remains a cog in the machine, until the arrival of a strange woman into his duplicitous life makes hi ...more
Donald Armfield
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Missing Siginals is like a lost episode of the X-Files where certain pieces to an alien conspiracy leads to more questions, or the wrong questions are being asked. Throw a beautiful woman in the mix and plans on unraveling the mystery just leads to even more questions.

Doubinsky takes you through a fast paced Sci-Fi mystery of an alien conspiracy, Planet X, and a drug that alters vision, mind and body but misses the signal that has all the answers... or what is the answer?
Linda Hepworth
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

“Missing Signal―a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a government conspiracy? Agent Terrence Kovacs has worked for the New Petersburg Counter-Intel Department propagating fake UFO stories for so long that even he has a hard time separating fact from fiction. Especially when he’s approached by the beautiful woman named Vita, who claims she’s been sent from another planet to liberate Earth.”

This blurb would not normally attract my attention because Sci-Fi is not a genre which appeals to me. Howeve
Vincenzo Bilof
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this latest Dystopian offering from Seb Doubinsky, the intelligent, lyrical prose offer snapshots of a haunted, paranoid mind. Missing Signals eschews genre for another carefully-constructed story that serves as a photo-album arranged by a poet; each chapter is a small offering of words, and within the framework of a single page (or two), moments and reflections in the life of our paranoid protagonist draw us in to the fantastical (for the protagonist) arrangement of the plot.
I admire Doubin
Paperback Paris
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
—The review below was authored by Paperback Paris Staff Writer, Melissa Ratcliff. Read more.

Described as a “riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a government conspiracy”, the latest novel in the City-States series lives up to its description, as Seb Doubinsky creates a paradox of his own in Missing Signal . Part science fiction wonder, part psychological thriller, Missing Signal is an existential puzzle full of cryptic messages, saturated in anxiety and loneliness, as narrated by Terrence Kovac
Alison C
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Seb Doubinsky’s "Missing Signal" from Meerkat Press; I had never read him before and had no idea what to expect. It turns out that this is the latest in a cycle of “City State” novels set in a dystopian near-future world, possibly modeled on Europe. Terrence is a master spy in this world, with some 50+ identities and a job involving…. well, hard to say what it involves, but he’s very good at it. Until, that is, he is contacted by a mysterious and beautiful alien, who has a ...more
Adam House
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seb Doubinksy is one of those writers I love to read. He’s no-nonsense in his writing and hits all the points that make me happy as a reader. I haven’t read his library, but ‘Missing Signal’ reminded me to get on that, preferably sooner than later. He’s the closest thing to a modern Philip Dick as we’re ever going to have, but wholly original in the craft.

Missing Signal is a story about Terrence Kovacs, who works as a disinformation agent, and how he deals with life in a bubble, covered with tru
Jona
Aug 05, 2018 added it
I started this book with some trepidation because science fiction is not usually a genre I read. But, when I started reading it, I realized it's a compelling read, and I could easily identify with the characters and lives.
The books is divided into short chapters, which detail the lives of Agent Terrence Kovaks and his work as a counter-intelligence agent. He has many aliases and mainly debunks UFO stories by propagating fake news about them. Once day, he attends a conference and meets a skeptica
J.S. Breukelaar
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sebastien Doubinsky’s *Missing Signal* is the latest installment in the City-State cycle and it is dystopian fiction at its most pared down and wondrous. Doubisnky’s prose is lean and hearteningly human in the most inhuman of contexts. Like many of Doubinsky's protagonists, Agent Kovacs is flawed hero unable to escape his tarnished past no matter how fast he hurtles toward a shiny new future. Immersive and unputdownable noir sf from a writer at the top of his game.
Eugen Bacon
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seb Doubinsky's Missing Signal is covertly a dystopian novel that is visibly (in its ending) part of a series. One need not have read any of the City-States series to find immersion in this newest instalment whose crisp chapters cartwheel you in an incredible odyssey that gets wilder and weirder as it possesses you.

Together with a loneliness that is real as touch, but is also a ‘beautiful emptiness’, Terrence Kovacs is a man attuned with himself, self-aware in his deficits... Missing Signal is
Jessica
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a fast, but interesting read. It was surreal, but worth the investment. I really liked the pace and the character of Terrance.
Shelby
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Not much in to existential science fiction. I'm sure there are those who find that appealing. I am not one. This was sort of like reading the movie Solaris, either version. Saw both. Didn't like them either.
Jessica
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, less-than-300, blog
This was an odd, short read. Full review to come.
Maurizio Codogno
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
[Disclaimer: I received an Advance Review Copy] This novel is set up in a possible future world where real and fake news fiercely compete: the main character is indeed a counterinformation agent. The idea is developed well, only a bit hurried at the end, which was not obvious at all given the theme. What I did not like was the "stream of consciousness" bits: most chapters were just a few lines long and I did not manage to get an overall idea of the relation of these parts with the main plot. It ...more
Bram
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2018
Highly recommended. Wonderful language, fast-paced, and thought-provoking. One of the most enjoyable books I’ve read in some time. I’ll be reading more of Doubinsky’s work.
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Actually probably more like 2.5. This was an... unusual book. It wasn't what I expected from the synopsis on the back. There were many parts that were thought-provoking with clever wording. And then there were others that felt choppy, rushed, and a bit unsure. Sometimes it seemed like the book was trying to be philosophical or experiment first and foremost, rather than prioritizing storytelling. But the story did definitely keep me intrigued, and since it was such a fast read, I can't say it was ...more
Nathalie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coups-de-coeur
A new novel from Seb Doubinsky is always such a treat; no one writes exactly quite like him. I never know what to expect, and I am never, ever disappointed. Missing Signal is no exception. Through a series of short entries, we learn about the life of Terrence Kovacs, an agent who works for the Counter-Intel Department, propagating fake UFO stories and getting confused in his own reality.

Each entry is a beauty of its own and can almost be read just for itself:

"When Terrence was finished, he real
Jenny_acc
Join us for Facebook Book Launch! 1 1 Aug 28, 2018 07:15AM
ARCs available 1 3 Mar 11, 2018 05:10PM

• Ma vie rouge Kubrick
  • Le petit joueur d'échecs
  • A Miracle of Rare Design (Birthright #21)
  • La Petite et le Vieux
  • Vegan Vampire Vaginas
  • The Unmentionables
  • Captain K and the Bearded Man Boy
  • The Lake
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • The Brothers Crunk
  • Saga #54
  • Trees #1
  • DangerRAMA
  • The Fridgularity

I was born in Paris, in 1963, right in the middle of a western movie, of which my parents never saw the end. I have thereafter split my life between France and the USA, having spent most of my early childhood in Syracuse, and Seattle. After some studies, a lot of wandering and a few strange jobs, I have finally found myself teaching French literature in Denmark, where I have been living since 2007