Start by marking “The Foyles Bookshop Girls (The Foyles Girls #1)” as Want to Read:
The Foyles Bookshop Girls (The Foyles Girls #1)

The Foyles Bookshop Girls

(The Foyles Girls #1)

'A delightful story of friendship, love and hope during the dark days of WW1. Elaine Roberts is a bright new star in the world of sagas' Elaine Everest.

London, 1914: one ordinary day, three girls arrive for work at London's renowned Foyles bookshop. But when war with Germany is declared their lives will never be the same again...

Alice has always been the 'sensible'

Published June 1st 2018 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about The Foyles Bookshop Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foyles Bookshop Girls

Start your review of The Foyles Bookshop Girls (The Foyles Girls #1)
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Friendship, hope, war, family, love.

Check out my stop on the blog tour!

It's historical and it's set in a bookshop and really, what's not to love?

Although Alice is most definitely the main character, I loved all three central characters. I particularly empathised with Victoria the most, I felt her frustration and desperation and honestly felt so sorry for her at times that I could cry. Despite Lily not being a main character, I loved her conviction and how headstrong she was.

I loved how
Teresa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I seem to be in the minority with my rating of this book but this is how I felt about it.
I don't know why it has the title it has because the bookshop is almost an after thought in the story. The book begins very shortly before the out break of the first world war.
Alice is the main character in the novel and works in the bookshop with two close friends Molly and Victoria. I'm expecting the next two books to be about them. She lives at home with her parents, a sister Lily and two brothers Robert
Kel
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this story you get to know the girls and their families as World War I commences. I loved the girls in this book and how the story gave you an insight into events leading up to this story.

This story drew you in so that you felt part of the family and gave you the need to know what happened next with so much at stake for all of the families involved as their boys go off to war.

A brilliant historical fiction read based around the hardworking girls at Foyles Bookshop, this offers a heart wrench
Amanda
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I came across this book, whilst looking for new books on Amazon. Not that I need any new ones because I already have enough to stock a new library. Anyway back to the point. I read the synopsis for this book and I just knew that this was one book I had to read. It ticked so many boxes for me combining a love of history, a love of sagas and a love of book shops. I was so looking forward to reading this book and I was not to be disappointed, because I absolutely loved reading this book but more ab ...more
Kelly Furniss
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in WWI London this poignant book gives a glimpse in to how War alters lives and it mainly is based around three lady characters and who work at the Foyles Bookshop. We see how it effects their families, friendships and relationships and what the soldiers go through who go off to fight and how it changes them when they return.
This tale pulled me in from the beginning with the simplistic start introducing all the characters and it kept good pace as we followed them all. A brilliant start to a
Literary Soirée
I was captivated from the start by this poignant story set in WWI London. It describes the many ways in which war alters the lives of Alice, Victoria and Molly, friends and coworkers at the famous Foyle’s Bookshop. A highly recommended read, one that makes me anxious for the next book in this compelling new series.

Many thanks, NetGalley, for the early copy. Opinions are fully mine.

#TheFoylesBookshopGirls #NetGalley
Gaele
An interesting title focusing on several young women and their families, all connected by friendship and social status, as the girls work in a popular and very busy bookshop in London. Alice, Molly and Victoria have been friends for years, all living solidly upper middle-class lives. Alice and her sister Lily couldn’t be more different: Alice is more circumspect and proper, Lily is prone to speak her mind and get into ‘trouble’ – protesting for the vote, woman’s equality, social equality, you na ...more
Michelle
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always love reading stories about a bookstore and when I saw this set in London in the period of WW1 I had to have a read. Although the title says it is. The truth is the story, centres around 3 friends, mainly Alice and her friends Victoria and Molly who work at the Foyles Bookstore under the watchful eye of Mr Ledbetter.
Alice is the sensible one in her family and has been going out Freddie who is a Police man for a while when, Freddie asks Alice to marry him before he goes off to war. She a
booklover BEV
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this authors first book, starts in london 1914. alice taylor working 3 days a week at foyles bookstore, the largest booksellers in london, william and gilbert started it up in 1903, a dream job for any booklover. with the marriage to policeman freddie and the outbreak of WW1 alice is faced with a lot of heartbreak ahead. i loved this book from the start loving all the research along the way and looking forward greatly to more books by this author it deserved a 10
Kierstin Carnahan
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was about a group of friends who work at Foyles Bookstore in London and what happens to them when WWI breaks out. I liked the different storylines but it seemed to mainly focus on Alice. Alice seems to me the only one who got a true ending. Contrary to the title, this book is about WWI and the bookshop is not an integral part of the story. I can't imagine what living during a world war would have been like and trying to carrying on a relationship/marriage with someone fighting in it. I ...more
Emma Crowley
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The Foyles Bookshop Girls is the début novel from Elaine Roberts and the first in a planned trilogy. It centres around three young women who work in the famous London book shop at a time when the world is facing unrest and uncertainty. There is the threat of the unions going on strike coupled with the fact women were campaigning for equals women’s rights with men and also the right to vote but this becomes over shadowed with the outbreak of World War One. People's lives are thrown into chaos, di ...more
Nicola Smith
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just couldn't resist this book from the title alone. What book lover doesn't enjoy reading books about books, or in this case, a bookshop. Not just any bookshop either, but the famous Foyles in London.

The girls of the title are Alice, Molly and Victoria, although this is very much Alice's story (I understand book 2 of the trilogy concentrates more on Molly). She's a privileged young woman, living with her parents and siblings when the story begins. Despite those privileges, she's one of the ki
Julie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Saga fans are going to love Elaine Roberts’ enthralling debut novel set during the First World War, The Foyles Bookshop Girls. Gripping, gutsy and written straight from the heart, this enjoyable saga is the first title in a brand new series that is sure to appeal to fans of Elaine Roberts, Rosie Clarke and Jenny Holmes.

Alice Taylor has always been the sensible one out of her entire family. Alice lets the characters in her favourite stories have all the adventures as she is far too busy solving e
Kristina
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The Foyles Bookshop Girls by Elaine Roberts is the first story in The Foyles Girls series. Alice Taylor works at W & G Foyles Bookstore on Charring Cross Road in London with her friends Victoria Appleton and Molly Cooper. Victoria is responsible for her two younger siblings since their parents died four and a half years earlier. Molly is in love with Tony Fletcher who likes to flirt with every woman he encounters. Alice comes from a well-to-do family and her father, Luke has very rigid ideas for ...more
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What makes this saga so unique? Aside from its absolutely gorgeous cover and brilliant synopsis?
For me personally it would have to be that this novel focuses on The Great War as opposed to most of my saga reading is ww2 fiction. The novel opens in London 1914 and I really think the author did an outstanding job of finding a niche in the saga genre. The genre is heavily dominated by ww2 fiction and I think The Foyles Bookshop Girls offers a welcome break and exploration of the ww1 era.

The Foyle
Joanne D'Arcy
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I cannot resist a book about books or book shops and that was the main reason of course for picking this title. But the title and the cover do not really do it justice.

This is a lovely wartime saga set at the outbreak of the First World War where the world was a different place and the excitement and buzz from fighting was nothing like the true horrors of the men that returned.

The characters of the book are of course all those who work in Foyles, in particular Alice, Victoria and Molly. I of cou
Vivien Brown
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although Alice's family aren't as wealthy, I saw echoes of the early Downton Abbey in this lovely debut novel. We have a stern and apparently cold father, a mother putting her family first, a sensible daughter, a rebel daughter, a loyal housekeeper, and two sons eager for the adventure of war but unprepared for its harsh reality. Against a backdrop of First World War London, Elaine Roberts introduces us to Alice and her two close friends, and the bookshop where the girls work. All the drama, fea ...more
Sandra
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read books set around the first world war but liked the sound of this one.Its a lovely story about family,war the votes for women movement and much more.I highly recomend this book well worth 5*
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely read; true to the period it's set in, very addictive and the best news of all - it's the beginning of a series!

Alice and her two friends, Molly and Victoria, all work in Foyles Bookshop. With strong rumours of war, they all wonder what the future holds. The girls are firm friends, but each have very different home lives. Alice is a sensible daughter with three siblings - two brothers and a suffragist sister who is forever in trouble with their father for not being as well-b
Joanne
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Elaine Roberts’ debut novel The Foyles Bookshop Girls is a delightful tale of friendship and family during the outbreak of World War 1. Alice, Victoria and Molly all work in the famous Foyles bookshop in London and have been friends for many years, despite having very different lives.
Alice lives in Bloomsbury Square with her middle-class mother, father and three siblings. Life under her father’s roof is strict but Alice copes by escaping to the work in the bookshop three days a week. Molly lives
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.

I was immediately interested in this book for its focus on young women working in a London bookshop during WWI, as we all know that I can't resist any book about books! While I'm accustomed to seeing many stories pertain to WWII, in a way, it was refreshing to see another momentous time period reflected in fiction that doesn't seem to be discussed as frequently.

Roberts' writing is vivid and truly captures the
Melissa
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I love Foyles and I love historical fiction, especially when it’s set during WWI, but after 150 pages I just can’t read any more. This one is just not for me.
Jas Shearsmith
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as exciting as I expected. It barely revolved around a bookshop, although the main characters work there. More of a bland fictional war-time story.
Janette
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a wartime saga story and this was a great one as it also included a bookshop. I was drawn in from the start and loved the stories of all three girls. I couldn't put it down.

I really liked all three of the main characters and the setting around the bookshop was perfect. I enjoyed the ups and downs of the story. An excellent cast of supporting characters. Well written, I enjoyed the authors writing style.

I can't wait for the next instalment and to find out what will happen next. Highly rec
Cozy Cat Reviews
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for book lovers who love to read about bookstores , those who love historical fiction set in WWI and those who enjoy stories of strong female friendships. I enjoyed this book very much . I am glad this is the beginning of what promises to be a very successful series !
This story focuses on Alice and her two friends,, Molly and Victoria.. All three ladies work in Foyles Bookshop in London. All three are very different and come from different backgrounds. All three ladies
Katherine Hayward Pérez
The Foyles Bookshop Girls is a wonderful historical fiction novel about the women working at Foyles Bookshop in London during the war. The book is from Alice Taylor's point of view. Alice works there. Listening to this book had me Googling Foyles Bookshop, a place I have never been. The language is very emotional and the detail about everything is fantastic. The characters, the surroundings and even the bookshop itself is brilliantly described and had me hooked.

Books about bookshops are a hit i
carol kay
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book don't know if I cane wait till next year till the second one comes our .🤓
Ellie (crackthespine)
I received a copy of this arc for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
WW1 romance books are a favourite of mine, not least when I'm in exam season and fluff is required. The Foyles Bookshop Girls combines this with another favourite - books, and bookshops adds in a sprinkle of amazing female friendship, and... tah dah.

If you're looking for something to make you cry over your tea and warm your heart on a wintery morning, then this is a book you'll want to reach for.
Pam
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Foyles Bookshop Girls is a novel by Elaine Roberts. This book is set in London from just before the Great War to the War itself. It is a novel about Friendship and how it changes over time. Alice Taylor, Victoria Appleton, and Molly Cooper are three friends who just happen to work at Foyles’ Bookstore. Despite their difference in financial statue, they have been friends since elementary school. As friends do, they have their ups and downs, but have always been there for each other.
Alice li
Shreedevi Gurumurty
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In London 1914, Alice Taylor, Molly Cooper and Victoria Appleton are a close trio of women whose friendship stems from childhood. They all work in London's renowned Foyles bookshop. But when the First World War is declared, their lives won't be the same ever again. Alice has always been the 'sensible' one in her prominent family-especially in comparison with her suffragette and outspoken sister Lily. But decidedly against her father's wishes, she accepts a job at Foyles Bookshop; and for bookwor ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mulberry Lane Babies (Mulberry Lane #3)
  • Love and Marriage at Harpers (Harpers Emporium #2)
  • The Nurses of Lark Lane: A heartbreaking Liverpool saga
  • Rainy Days for the Harpers Girls (Harpers Emporium #3)
  • The Shop Girls of Harpers (Harpers Emporium #1)
  • The Factory Girls of Lark Lane (Lark Lane, #1)
  • A Reunion at Mulberry Lane (Mulberry Lane #6)
  • Christmas is for Children
  • The Spitfire Girl: Heartwarming and emotional story of one girl's courage in WW2
  • The Brighton Guest House Girls: Hardship, heartache and the healing power of friendship
  • The Girl From the Corner Shop
  • The Silver Ladies of London: Four heroines, a scandal, a secret and a silver Rolls Royce
  • The Women of Waterloo Bridge
  • The Midwives of Lark Lane
  • A Ration Book Wedding: Perfect for fans of Ellie Dean and Mary Gibson (Ration Book series)
  • The Shop Girls of Lark Lane (Lark Lane, #2)
  • A Ration Book Childhood: Perfect for fans of Ellie Dean and Lesley Pearse (Ration Book series)
  • Pocketful of Dreams (East End Ration #1)

The Foyles Girls (3 books)
  • The Foyles Bookshop Girls at War (The Foyles Girls #2)
  • Christmas at the Foyles Bookshop (The Foyles Girls #3)