Start by marking “Poetry: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Poetry: An Introduction

Poetry: An Introduction

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Adapted from Michael Meyer's best-selling Bedford Introduction to Literature, this anthology responds to the needs of all kinds of poetry courses. Instructors across the country report that especially at schools where there is a decreased emphasis on literature and the humanities, students do not necessarily see literature as relevant to their lives. They are sometimes tot ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Bedford Books (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry

Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
An academic anthology, but worth reading. Selections include analysis, comprehension questions, sample letters and alignment with targeted teaching concepts (tone, Langston Hughes: Culture and Work, etc.). A great additional to one's personal library for enhancing knowledge and as a guide for practicing the craft of writing poetry.
I used this book for my Poetry course last semester. It was useful. It has a large collection of well-known poems. What I did not like is the way it is divided. It would have been better to be chronologically sectioned so that it is easier for students to follow specially that the book itself is "an introduction" to poetry. The order of topics Meyer uses here is according to what he thinks is important. I had to rearrange the topics on my own slides to accommodate my students' level.
All in all,
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
This really was an introduction. The book offers a very thorough explanation of the most basics of poetry, everything from different form to the key terms in which to discuss metaphors. Are you starting out 100% blank on poetry, this is a great book. If you already know a thing or two, I would look elsewhere. The book also contains a number of poems from all the famous poets, as well as less famous ones.
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great combination of instruction and pure enjoyment. (This is a text book but I read it for pleasure.) I learned a lot about contemporary poets and poetry, and I learned some of the elements poets use to create an artistic effect. I wish I had had a college class with this text book. There's something in here for every poetic taste.
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent textbook for intro poetry classes.
Aug 06, 2017
  • The Riverside Milton
  • 180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day
  • Imagist Poetry: An Anthology
  • Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry
  • A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives: Descriptions in Plain English of More Than 12,000 Ingredients Both Harmful and Desirable Found in Foods (Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives)
  • Velocities: New and Selected Poems, 1966-1992
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women?
  • Delights and Shadows
  • The Formation of Islam: Religion and Society in the Near East, 600-1800
  • The Light Around the Body
  • Overlord: Poems
  • The Best American Poetry 2005
  • Music for Sight Singing
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
Michael Meyer has taught writing and literature courses for more than thirty years—since 1981 at the University of Connecticut and before that at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and the College of William and Mary. In addition to being an experienced teacher, Meyer is a highly regarded literary scholar. His scholarly articles have appeared in distinguished journals such as American L ...more
More about Michael Meyer...