Start by marking “The Similars (The Similars, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Similars (The Similars, #1)

The Similars

(The Similars #1)

When six clones join Emmaline’s prestigious boarding school, she must confront the heartbreak of seeing her dead best friend’s face each day in class.

Published January 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Similars, please sign up.

Candace Robinson
I've been having a problem with the newer YA fantasy books lately, so it was nice to get a breather from that business. I've read clone type books before, so this was a pretty fun take on it. Kind of The Islandish mixed with a soap opera, I'd say.

At first, at the beginning, I didn't like the political type feel, so I had to zone that out. But once we get past that it really gets flowing. The romance aspect was the best part—I really adored Levi. There were a lot of times when I was questioning w
Holly  B
What an intriguing premise.... 6 human clones attending a prestigious boarding school, Darkwood Academy. I was excited to read this YA fantasy themed novel, BUT it failed to capture my attention or "wow" me.

I think my expectations were too high and I was craving more of a Stepford Wives type of scenario (full of suspense with a touch of horror). This one had some of the ingredients, but just fell flat for me.

Darkwood Academy has accepted six clones that are referred to as "the similars" and they
Kristy K
The premise of this story sounded unique and I was eager to get my hands on it. And for the first half or so of the book I was thoroughly enjoying it. With the sci-fi, mystery mix and a dash of romance, this seemed the beginning of a good YA series. But then things began to turn and I found myself rolling my eyes as The Similars fell into familiar YA traps: predictable twists and teens who can outsmart adults. I really struggled with the last 10-15% of the book. I think teens will enjoy this but ...more
Kayla
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

So this is set in a world where clones of people exist. We follow Emma who is starting to get friendly with a group of clones aka "Similars" until she is shocked to see that Levi is a clone of her best friend Oliver who died recently.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm really grateful I was sent it because it was a very unique read.
The one thing that I
Chrissie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 3-stars
This was a book of halves for me. The first half was insightful, poignant, and extraordinarily enjoyable. An easy four stars. But the second half was disjointed, campy, and pedestrian. Two stars. So, the math wizard that I am, decided to average those two ratings and just call it even with the three stars.

The first half. Emmeline Chance is a young woman headed back to school following the death of her best friend. A death that was an apparent suicide. Wracked with feelings of guilt, remorse, los
Fabi
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it

This is a YA Dystopian novel. A rather lite dystopian as there isn't much world building and it's very near future.

The setting is a prestigious high school where our group of characters are the elite of the elite. The main protagonist, Emmaline Chase, is starting her Junior year without much enthusiasm. She lost her BFF to suicide over the summer and she is still reeling from the pain of that loss. So the fact that six new students at her school turn out to be clones of some other stude
Alja Katuin
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure this is one of my favourite reads of this year so far.. I absolutely loved Emmaline and her dedication to find her friend.. and that plot twist!
Michelle
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Review can also be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for the eARC copy of this book. I was thrilled to have received a copy.

This book! Wow! The Similars had me hooked from the very first page. It was a gripping, thrilling, and entertaining read from beginning to end. I love to read YA novels of this type, and this book certainly did not disappoint!

Imagine going to school, or anywhere for the matter, and seeing exact look-al
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After SEVERAL plot twists and what ultimately felt like a long but satisfying book, I’m finally finished!

RATING: 3.62 stars

Based off of what I knew about this book’s plot, I knew that several things could have happened along the way which I may not have liked. Cloning research is a touchy subject, but since I had recently done a research paper about similar experiments, I figured I knew what I was getting into.

And yet, I still ended up surprised.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of
Kaya
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5!

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a copy via Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.

I was totally drawn in by the premise because um clones? Do we really need one hundred more me’s walking around (the answer is always yes). That’s super unique and more people should write books about this subject. I felt that the author truly did an incredible job of showing the prejudice around clones, and by doing that showed just how messed-up our society actually is. Especially when it co
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Sourcebooks Fire, which is rapidly turning into one of my favorite YA publishers. They seem to have more hits than not, and a lot of their books have made their way onto my TBR. Trigger warning: suicide.

Three months after her best friend, Oliver, commits suicide, Emmaline Chance returns to Darkwood Academy, an elite preparatory school for children of some of the richest and most influential people in the country. It’s also one of t
Meigan
First in a compelling and exciting new series, The Similars takes the familiar boarding school aspect to the next level by introducing clones and asking the very important question: what if you were no longer the only you? How would you react? Not only was this book quite a lot of fun, but I absolutely LOVED the heavy dose of science that runs throughout coupled with some themes that certainly made me think. And it’s definitely something I’m still thinking about. I don’t know how I’d react if I ...more
Larosenoire299
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Similars is one of my most anticipated books in 2019. I was always interested in clone concept, but the only book I read about it was Never let me go. The similars is a mix of everything: Twilight vibe, bullying trope, mystery, dystropian, none of which was on point, but it was a comfortable read.

The story took place in Darkwood - a preeminent school for elite students. The main protagonist of The Similars was Emma Chance, who had a difficult time adjusting to her best friend’s suicide. One
Amanda
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

3.5 Stars

I have had a review copy of this novel for months and have been waiting for it to be closer to publication, so I finally picked it up. I love the idea behind this novel, clones going to the same school as their originals. It seemed like the perfect set up for a kill-your-double story. While that wasn't really how this story went, it was still very interesting. It was a bit of a sci-fi mixed with a bit of mystery. T
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
RTC ;)
(and yes, I will be reading the sequel)

**Huge thanks to the publisher for approving my request to read this book in exchange for an honest review!
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I’ve been desperate to read this one since I saw the blurb months ago. The premise sounds brilliant – I mean, the heroine comes face-to-face with a clone of her dead best friend, who committed suicide. The potential for angst and philosophy was through the roof.

While this book did deliver on the angst, it was somewhat lacking in philosophy, and anyway everything was ruined by how absolutely moronic the heroine is.

Warning: slightly spo
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 2 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review (thank you Sourcebooks Fire!!)

I’m sad to say this, but, alas. incredible concept, sloppy execution.

The Similars is set in a futuristic universe where people’s DNA can be very easily and efficiently cloned, producing an exact replica of somebody, down to the very marrow of their bones. this becomes a subject of strong political and ethical discourse (à
Jamie
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this. A bit futuristic with transportation, clones, plums and keys but not so far out there to be a major sci-fi. Just elements of. Possibly even near-futurish. I liked Emma as a character but I didn't feel she was too smart in how she went about certain things. One of the 'ten' top students at the school yet she makes some naive moves. Never let that girl be a detective! She tries but goes about things wrong and has little real sense where she needs to be focusing. I liked the ...more
Stephanie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I thought that the concept for The Similars had potential. Unfortunately, it failed to live up to it for me.

I think the idea of cloning is very interesting. It brings up so many ethical questions. Some of those issues were brought up in the course of the book, however I didn’t think it was handled well. Instead of actual discussions and honest questions, it was treated like so many hot button topics are these days: with
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drcs

Mixed feelings on this one because although I felt like it met the requirements for a Decent Book, I still wanted more and wasn’t 100% in love with this.

I mean–it was pretty good. I think the characters were interesting enough and there was nothing glaringly obviously bad about it. It was all there: boarding school, clones, mystery, secretish societies, rich people.

Yet, as much as the concept was good and even the plot, somewhere along the way, the execution kind of lost me.

And it’s
Kate (beautifulbookland)
There are few things worse for a reader than when you start a book and love it, but then gradually start to lose interest in the story and the characters.

Unfortunately, that’s what happened to me while reading The Similars. I totally thought I was onto a winner when I read the first few chapters, but I started to lose interest as I got further into the book. It ends with a cliffhanger, and honestly? I don’t care. Usually cliffhangers ruin my life, but this one didn’t make me feel anything.

What
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3/5

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

The Similars are all anyone can talk about at the elite Darkwood Academy. Who are these six clones? What are the odds that all of them would be Darkwood students? Who is the madman who broke the law to create them? Emma couldn't care less. Her best friend, Oliver, died over the summer and all she can think about is how to get through her junior year without him. Then she comes face-to-heartbreaking-face with Levi—Oliver's exa
NerdyBookishBeauty
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had me confused at the beginning and I was all in by the last page. This story is your typical dystopian with a whole new twist! If you can overlook the personal plot on politics, the story was amazing and deserves a slot in my four star corner! Amazing job!
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
I love the cover but it has a big scientific inaccuracy. You see when genes are cloned they are cloned with a strand of DNA (CDNA to be exact.). The staircase in the photo resembles RNA which is not used for cloning. RNA has one helix (or strand) while DNA has two helixes (or helices)
Deborah E Kehoe
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❣
Emma is going back to Darkwood Academy for her junior year without her best friend Oliver who committed suicide over the summer. It’s hard to get excited about the current gossip about six clones or “Similars” being enrolled at Darkwood, but when one of them is the clone of Oliver it’s hard to ignore. As she gets to know Levi and the other Similars she realizes that even though they have the same DNA they have individual personalities and aren’t exact copies of the original. As pro and con
Rachel
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This review was first published on my blog In Between Book Pages.

I don’t remember exactly when I requested for this book, but I do remember reading the summary and being instantly hooked. Clones? You got me! Ethically, the issue of cloning is a dubious one, but it was fascinating, the thought of a world where clones existed.

Sadly, an interesting premise doesn’t always mean a good story.

With the hook of its contem
Erin
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
However many words there are to describe them: Clones, Copies, Cylons, Doppelgängers, Replicants, Similars, I find this stream of sci-fi to be incredibly fascinating! The very idea that someone, somewhere, even came up with the concept of duplicating DNA is completely mind-boggling, and yet, I find myself inexplicably drawn to stories such as these.

While Clone stories have been around for decades, The Similars brings something I haven’t yet come across in this area, and that is: a likeable and
Meli
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Formula Twilight pero con clones + un maltrato horrendo.
En serio, hay TANTAS cosas mal con la forma en la que la protagonista trata al clon de su amigo muerto que opaca lo copado que pueda tener la trama (que lo tiene, pero esta mina de humillarlo a escupirlo hace todo lo que se les ocurra. Imposible sentir empatía por una protagonista así. Ojalá se hayan avivado de que es horrendo y todo esto no haya pasado del arc).
Kiki Cole
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow WOW! I LOVED THIS NOVEL OH MY GOSH! A progressive novel that took concepts of what oversteps something’s right and what we consider to be human or not. The whole concept and twists surprised and excited me. Rebecca Hanover brought futuristic sci-fi and made it modernistic in a harmonious way. I adored the wit and persistence of Emmaline and I am desperately hoping there is a sequel!
Shannon Dyer
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
Lots of fun with a cliffhanger ending. Review to come at AAR.
Rebecca Hanover is a young adult author and television writer. She earned a bachelor of arts from Stanford University in English and drama and won an Emmy in 2008 as a staff writer on the CBS daytime drama Guiding Light. (It's surprisingly heavy, and has scary sharp wings). Her debut novel THE SIMILARS—a BookExpo 2018 Editors’ Buzz Pick—will be published in January, 2019 (Sourcebooks Fire).

Rebecca

The Similars (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Similars, #2)