Start by marking “Playing for Keeps (Feeling the Heat #6)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps (Feeling the Heat #6)

Playing for Keeps

(Feeling the Heat #6)

He’s riding the bench. She’s living a lie. The game of love is won in extra innings.

Following a terrible tragedy, Rick Taylor is making his comeback to the major leagues… and the dating scene. But years off the roster have left the veteran catcher a little rusty. It’ll take a special woman to heal the heartache of losing his family. But the perfect contender refuses to let
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2018 by Alison Packard

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing for Keeps

Cait
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in2018
I didn't realise how much I missed this series! I think it did a good job with the "finding new love as a widower" stuff, and for the most part Amy's stuff was handled well.
Darcy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a really sweet romance between 2 people who had been hurt by love but in very different ways. I liked that they decided to give love a second chance with each other. The slow way that they got to know each other made sense in many ways. I knew that Amy keeping her past a secret would come back to bite her, but I understood why she didn't. With that being said, Rick's reaction pissed me off mostly because it wasn't a blow up and over it, it was a blow up and stay blown up. I do wonder ha ...more
E-Reader Addict
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Playing for Keeps is a sweet, second-chance story about two people who both need not only a second chance at love, but also at life.

Amy Vaughn is a hard-working, determined young single mom. When her father died when she was 16, her life spiraled down hill. Some things were the result of bad choices on her part, but mostly her situations were from just being dealt a crappy hand in life. But now she’s the mother of an adorable, precocious eight year old son, and she’s determined to do what’s bes
Samantha
Playing for Keeps is sort of a second chance for love story. Rick is playing for a starting spot as catcher for the Blaze. Amy is doing everything she can to protect her son and make their life better since leaving Barstow to come back to San Francisco.

Rick had lost it all and is working on making better choices and getting his career back. The chance meeting of a woman at a night club brings feelings up he hasn't felt in forever. Now the woman at the sports agency that represents him stirs tha
Heather 123
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, but fairly predictable story.

My heart broke for Rick and what he went through with his wife. The way everything reminded him of her, the way he still struggled with memories of her and how their families still remained tangled. He had to hit rock bottom after a tragic loss like that before he could get back up.

Amy and Danny are just absolutely adorable. Amy is dedicated to providing for her son and giving him everything he deserves especially after he was bullied at this previous school.
Kristin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the advance copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review."

This story drew me in from the start. You have Amy who is a single mom, working 2 jobs trying to make ends meet, and then you have Rick who is the baseball player. They both have a secret past that neither want exposed, but eventually, it will all come out. This book is part of a series, but can be read as a stand-alone. I recommend this book!
Jess
Probably more like 3.5 stars, but I didn't feel like I should round up.

I like these books so much! Alison Packard has a nice, chill way of writing, even when she's introducing mildly outlandish character backstory, and I just value that so much. Hope to see more of her and this series.
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

As usual, I couldn't stop reading. Finished it with in 22 hours. I would have finished sooner but my job got in the way. Can't wait to read it again lol
romancebookjunkie
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
❤❤❤❤ out of 5
Can you really ever go wrong with a sports romance? I’m positively sure the answer to that is no. One of the things I loved most about the book is that it seems realistic in this day and age with a normal courtship that I totally believe! Everyday people going on dates and falling in love. A sweet, beautiful story!
The story revolves around our heroine, a single mother who balances not only a day job but a night job as waitress to an exclusive club at night. There she meets our hero
Christi Snow
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review:
I've read the majority of the rest of this series and really enjoyed it. While this book didn't quite live up to the rest of the books, it was still a pretty good read.

This book featured Rick, a catcher, who's making his way back into play after an injury and the death of his wife. He hasn't been involved with a woman since his wife (who was his childhood sweetheart) died...until he meets Amy. Suddenly he's feeling things for a woman that he never expected to feel again.

Amy has had a
Romancing the Book
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Reviewed by Amy W
Book provided by author
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

The last thing Amy Vaughn needs in her life is a man. She’s working hard to make ends meet, even if it meets working in disguise at a nightclub.

Author Alison Packard does a fantastic job developing the characters in Playing for Keeps. Although it is the sixth book in a series, this is easily a standalone.

She puts Rick Taylor on a collision course with Amy, providing a solid foundation of attraction. I was especially p
Jas
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have read most of the other books in this series and really liked them so I was disheartened to find that I did not care for this one. Rick and Amy are both in places where they do not want another relationship. Rick is a grieving widower and Amy is a single mom with trouble in her past. However when they meet their attraction is instant and suddenly they are willing to see where their feelings lead. It is all a bit rushed but that can be forgiven. However, the road to true love cannot be trav ...more
Christina Montminy
I have a love/hate thing with this book. I love Alison Packard’s Baseball series & I loved this book/what I hate is it’s now 7:00 a.m. & I haven’t been to sleep yet because I couldn’t put this book down. Rick & Amy’s story is sad but sweet, both have tragedy in their past, Rick’s not as distant as Amy but just as horrible. Because of her past Amy has trust issues & this becomes a problem in their fledgling relationship thanks to the ever present spoiled rich girl. I love how the ...more
Sarah Rodriguez
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a great love story. I hate insta-love and this was far from it. Amy and Rick had to spend time together and multiple dates to even consider themselves "dating". Amy's backstory was so realistic and just deep enough to leave some unresolved issues between her and Rick and cause some tension without being overly dramatic. Amy was such a strong feminine character and I really connected with her as a mom. Rick was beyond sweet and such a great guy. I wanted them to work out the entire time. Gre ...more
poppy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good well-written read and a super addition to the series just like the previous books I was pulled right into the book and only stopped reading when the kids insisted on eating. Amy is a single mum just trying to make the best of things have not been easy for her and she has no interest or time for a man. Rick, he is a baseball player who is still trying to live with the loss of his family. My heart just broke at times throughout this book, but these two were so good together and for eac ...more
Karen
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story was not really original as far as the plot goes but it's so we'll written that you'll just love the characters. I've been to San Francisco and I could picture where parts of the story was happening. The main characters are good people and the bad we're bad as it should. I only had to shout out once when I thought Amy screwed up.
But I love getting emotionally involved because this author surrounded Amy with great support. It did take trust to bring everyone back to right.

ARC Netgalley
Mags
This was an enjoyable story. That drew me in from the start. As the characters were very likable, the story engaging, entertaining, easy to read and well paced.
Not to mention it was sweet, had just a touch of angst and likable secondary characters.

And although Playing for Keeps is part of a series it can easily be read as a standalone; and I would happily recommend it to others. Especially if you like your romance on the sweeter side.

**I was kindly provided with an ARC via NetGalley in exchang
Kim
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
An Ok read but nothing new. Single mom with a good job and a not so good job trying to make ends meet for her and her young son. A secret past. A Major League Baseball star trying to make a comeback after his wife and unborn child are killed in a car accident. The two meet instant attraction the usual ups and downs. I am sure you get the picture.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Elizabeth
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-books-2018
oh man. Alison Packard hit it out of the ballpark again. I fell for Amy, Rick and Danny as a family early on. just thinking of what Amy went through because of her creepy stepfather and her mother not believing her had me upset, then what she endured by getting kicked out of her house. after what Rick went through losing his wife.

I hope we get a Jade and Trey book next!!
Chelse
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t normally read romance books about sports but the plot seemed interesting to me and I really enjoyed reading it. Playing for Keeps is a second chance romance story about a single mom and a baseball player who are both trying to overcome a difficult past. This book was well written, the characters were likable and the story was entertaining.
Chelle
It was ok but nothing more than that.

It was a good story. I liked both characters, esp him and his attitude to what happened to him. So it should have been a great read, but you could see where it was all heading a mile off. And the pace was so slow I was skim reading. Nothing really drew me in

Thank you net galley for an ARC in return for an honest review
Paris
I've really loved this series, but I think this book is my favorite of them all. I absolutely loved Rick. I was intrigued by him in earlier books and I love the idea of someone who has gone through so much getting a second chance at the life they wanted. I really loved Amy as well. She's a single mom doing everything she can to provide for her amazing son and keep him safe. Amy and Rick together are combustible and sweet and just perfect.

I really hope this isn't the final book in the series, bu
Teri Ann
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Baseball + Romance = Must Read

Anytime I see a romance that involves baseball, I’m gonna’ read it. Playing For Keeps did not disappoint! Amy is navigating being a single mother in the best way she can while Rick is learning to cope with his family being ripped from him. With the past haunting both of them, they seem to be the only ones able to pull each other out of self imposed singledom. It was definitely more of an “at first sight” love than it was a slow burn.

The supporting characters were b
Marlene Brown
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. I found it a little boring at times. There was something missing in the story, it may have been character development, not sure I just could not connect.
Lisa
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sad and funnyband reslly enjoyable read i love rick and amy as a couple and the fact he treats danny like his own cant wait to read jades story
B.
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This romance involves several standard romance plotlines: the poor single mother working hard to make a good life for her child; the heartbroken widower struggling to recover emotional equilibrium after his beloved wife’s tragic death; and the cruel actions of a extremely spoiled “mean girl.” What helps this story rise above the average romance, for me, was the depiction of Amy’s bright, adorable son, Danny. He is fascinated by the Weather Channel and keeps coming up with interesting factoids ab ...more
Bookingwithme
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
First, this cover is gorgeous!!!
I love a good single parent book and Allison Packard didn't disappoint.

Rick---ummm swoon and he's a baseball player? Sign me up for that roster! He has a past that he's trying to recover from and my heart broke for him. I just wanted to cuddle him up.

Amy also has had a rough life and a single mom but even tragedies can turn into something beautiful and when Rick and Amy are together you will be cheering for them and hope for their homerun!
Haumana
It's not every book I try to get through it a quickly as possible - in a good way! The story moved along quite well, and there were just the right amount of details, drama, heartbreak, and steam! It was very easy to get invested in Amy and Rick, and everyone else for that matter. I like that it was well written, flowed extremely well, and of course, the HEA. I don't always read my books on a "every chance I can get" kind of way, but with this one I did - standing in line, waiting at the doctor's ...more
Becky Burciaga
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sports romance with the perfect mixture of entertaining characters, including spoiled, entitled socialites, tension and a smattering of angst, and lastly believable situations expected in a sports story.

Pull all of the above together and add a smart and emotional dialog with heart that's fast paced, keeping you engaged throughout the story, you then have a story that is literally hard to put down.

Coming into the series with this sixth book, I've got some catching up to do to get up to speed
Vanessa
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What initially caught my attention was the cover. Being from San Francisco, my eyes immediately zeroed in on the Golden Gate bridge. I was a bit hesitant to read it after realizing that it's part of a series, however, this book completely stands on its own.

If there is one thing that bothered me in the very beginning it was the buildup for the romance between Rick and Amy. The way they meet is fine, the issue I had was with the references to his "hard cock" upon first meeting her at the club. It
Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Alison now lives in Southern Nevada where she’s finally used to the blistering summers, but still finds the slot machines inside most grocery stores and gas stations a bit odd.

When not working at the day job that pays the bills, keeps a roof over her head, and supports her book and chocolate habits, Alison spends most of her free time writing. But when

Feeling the Heat (6 books)
  • Love in the Afternoon (Feeling the Heat, #1)
  • The Winning Season (Feeling the Heat, #2)
  • Catching Heat (Feeling the Heat, #3)
  • Breaking His Rules (Feeling the Heat, #4)
  • Stealing Second (Feeling the Heat, #5)