Start by marking “Lights Out Lucy: Roller Derby 101 (Music City Rollers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lights Out Lucy: Roller Derby 101 (Music City Rollers, #1)

Lights Out Lucy: Roller Derby 101 (Music City Rollers, #1)

Lucy Cooper isn’t looking for love when she finds it—or slams into it, rather—during rush hour traffic. But her heart, like her car, is a total loss the moment West Adler steps out of his truck to inspect the damage.

West truly is the perfect guy: handsome, funny, rich. The benefactor of not one, but two children’s hospitals. And he’s the main sponsor of the Music City Rol
Published April 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out Lucy

Karen Gabriel
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So fantastically written I want to go watch a few real bouts, and my brain tells me it wants to play. My body is laughing at me. This is such a great book, I feel like I am Lucy while reading; I am as klutzy as she is. Wish I had the loving friends she has in real life. I didn’t want the book to end, and am now in end of book haze where fortunately there is an Epilogue.
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Lights Out Lucy by Elicia Hyder

Lucy grows up? Not enough. Lucy comes into her own? Better. Lucy fights to become strong, resilient and successful at skating and life. Yes. Romance included.

A little sadness sprinkled throughout. That’s life, right? A mother’s passing and cancer touching many lives. You learn to adapt. In Lucy’s case, she decides Roller Derby is her jam. It doesn’t hurt that she is awesome at her day job. Now for the fun part.

A strong and entertaining read from beginning to end.
Christine
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Lights Out Lucy! As a big fan of Elicia's other books, I was excited to go on this Derby journey with her. While it covers all of the typical romance journey (meet, fall in love, things get screwed up and fixed, HEA), what truly made this book special is Lucy's journey into discovering who she is as a person and what she is made of. Elicia's personal roller derby experience made the book authentic, but also relatable. Before I was halfway done, I was already figuring out where and when th ...more
C. Erani Kole
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC from the author*

The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was how light it felt. All my stress melted away with the easy humor and flow of the story, and after a few chapters in, I could easily say that this book felt like a ball of light that I could hug to my chest to feel all the good things I did. I liked it that much. Lucy was at times silly, but more often than not, she was endearing, adorable with her ladylike, bashful yet playful nat
Pj Ausdenmore
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fresh, fun, feel-good, contemporary romance by Elicia Hyder! I adored accident-prone Lucy and her determination to challenge herself by stepping outside her comfort box to try something new. I enjoyed her evolution in both her personal and work life and cheered her on the entire way. From her unlikely introduction to West (I mean, come on, how many of us meet the man of our dreams by rear-ending his truck while we're both stopped at a red light?), to learning to stand up for herself, to o ...more
Mel
For accident-prone Lucy Cooper, a sport that involves balance and speed on eight tiny wheels is the last thing she should try. But she forgoes the warning bells clanging in her head and signs up to see what she’s made of—and perhaps impress the super hot guy who invited her to her first Music City Rollers bout. Lucy knows that she won’t pass fresh meat training unscathed. "It's not a matter of if you get hurt, but of how bad and when."

(I was given this Advance Reader Copy (ARC) in exchange for a
Susan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I love Lucy!! Seriously loved this book. Laughs, romance, and some serious a$$ kicking as Lucy tries out for the roller derby. Lights Out Lucy deserves much more than 5 stars! Excellent read from start to finish. You’ll fall in love with Lucy and the Music City Rollers just like me!
Terri
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember watching roller derby years ago on TV when they used to broadcast the bouts but I didn't realize these ladies were still doing this exciting and dangerous sport. Follow along with Lucy, a clumsy twenty-something year old internet advertising specialist living in Nashville as she accidentally gets hooked on playing one of the craziest, most dangerous sports out there today!
Traci
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lights Out Lucy is LOL fun!

I laughed, I cried and I cheered for Lucy as she made her journey on quad skates. A fabulous supporting cast of friends and a hot love interest are so much fun. I love Lucy's strength and her humor in dealing with her life. I look forward to reading more Music City Rollers books and hanging out with this team again!
Kathryn
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes romance.
Lucy Cooper is an accident waiting to happen and that’s how she meets West Adler, the main sponsor for the Music City Rollers and the love interest in the story. The story takes place in Nashville and the country music industry is where Lucy’s makes her living. Twenty-eight year old Lucy and her younger brother are still in mourning for the mother they lost one year earlier and Lucy uses Roller Derby as a catharsis for that loss. The banter between the two siblings provides much of the comedy. T ...more
Dewey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright, I'm going to get one thing out of the way before we get into what I loved about this book. Coaches for skaters new to roller derby should not treat their new girls the way they did in this book. Holy shit, no. Just no. Is roller derby badass, yes. Are skaters tough, obviously. But is it ok to be total assholes to each other? Fuck no. New girl coaches should be nice and supportive and patient, and if you start at a league with coaches who yell at you, call you bitches, and generally beha ...more
Reading Addict
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lights Out Lucy is as far from Elicia Hyder's recent release of The Sacrifice as you can get! Ms. Hyder has given us a fresh new book (hopefully series) about a single young woman named Lucy that has a propensity for accidents. In the opening she rear ends what happens to be one of the best looking guys that she has ever met. His name is West and he seems to be equally interested in her. As she does a little cyber spying into West she learns that his family's business sponsors the local Nashvill ...more
Sussan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must admit to feeling a little reluctant to start this book, as I'd just finished the latest book in Elicia's Soul Summoner Series (I highly recommend these if you’ve not ventured into them yet started with the Detective, meanwhile back at the ranch) I really enjoyed the SSS that I didn't want to be disappointed, if you are in this category please put your reluctance aside, LOL is a super great read I am pretty sure, you will enjoy it as much as I did and learn a little bit about Roller Derby ...more
Tracy
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMGoodness this book was amazing! I definitely need more stars!
Lights Out Lucy kept my interest from the moment I picked it up. Seriously, the MOMENT I picked it up because even the prologue was heartfelt and meaningful.
Lucy. My new favorite girl. For real! And Roller Derby? ONG I have never even THOUGHT about Roller Derby but this book seriously had me looking up Roller Derby in my area. AND I'M GOING to see it in action as soon as I can.
But back to the book...Lucy is a funny, down to earth, ac
A
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were a character in a book, I would by Lucy. I have a dream of becoming a roller derby girl, however, when I tell people that they look at me like I have three head. It's not that they don't like roller derby, it's more of I am accident prone. I trip on air...Lucy is also accident prone. The fact that there is some truth in this book makes me want to be one even more. I loved all the characters and the plot was enjoyable. I will be buying all the books in this series when it comes out. I al ...more
Kyla
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I want to join a roller derby team! Elicia Hyder has written another amazing book!

Lights Out Lucy takes you into the world of roller derby. Lucy Cooper is clumsy. She enjoys staying to herself. She avoids conflict. Until she meets West Adler and in an attempt to get his attention, joins a roller derby team. Despite her extreme clumsiness, Lucy is determined to make the team and she won’t stop until she does. After all, it’s not a matter of if you get hurt but how bad and when.

This isn’t just
Stephanie Villere
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is Lights Out Lucy, a Music City Rollers book, written by Elicia Hyder. I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy this book since it’s so steeped in the realm of roller derby, which is foreign to me. With that said, I’m happy to say that I loved the book. It’s about so much more than roller derby. It’s about finding your true self. It’s about becoming a strong and independent person. It’s about loving life and the journey that it provides for you. It’s about lost chances and lost love. You won’t be so ...more
Rhonda
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully smart laugh out loud story

This is my first introduction to Elicia Hyder and she scored a new fan. I don't know that I'd categorize the book as a romance because though Lucy and West were a cute couple with chemistry and a developing relationship that was just a part of the story. It was Lucy's emotional growth and confidence that struck me as the main theme of the story. Along with the humor there were some really moving moments.
I listened to the audible version and thought the narr
Susan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

This is a very well written tale about finding love in a most unusual way, a traffic accident. The storyline is about women's roller derby and finding unknown strengths within yourself. The well developed characters allow the reader to get an insight into the personalities and some of the struggles of the characters. And I learned something new with the sport of roller derby. I'm looking forward to reading the follow-up books in this series. Put this book on your must-read list.
alr3
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea I would enjoy a story about roller derby-ing at all, much less as much as I did! But I have learned to trust Elicia Hyder, who, it turns out, is quite possibly the finest writer I have come across in a decade. She has populated this story with people you feel you know (and would like to know in real life), and her story-craft is beyond reproach. Waiting for the next "Lucy" is going to be tough, but then, waiting for the next in ANY Elicia Hyder series is tough. (I was fortunate eno ...more
Claire
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, I am a big fan of Elicia's Soul Summoner series and thought I'd give this a go despite how different it sounded. I'm so glad I did, what a fun read and plenty of laughs. I also can't wait to go watch a roller derby match next time they are in town, it's definitely got me interested, to be honest I had no idea about roller derby before this book and had to go on YouTube to get an idea of what I was reading about. I loved Lucy and the whole cast of characters and can' ...more
Myella
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elicia-hyder
Good little romantic story, but nothing to make it stand out from the crowd. I found myself having to make myself come back to it a couple of times, so it definitely didn't hold my undivided attention throughout. It's setting was interesting - roller derby - and you could tell the author had put a lot of time into research. I certainly will not be trying that sport! However it was well written and enjoyable.
NAOMI
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story could be the next hit rom-com movie since Maid in Manhattan! A chance encounter leads to hilarity in the world of flat-track roller derby full of bad-ass women with big hearts. I thoroughly enjoyed this fun read. I received a complimentary autographed copy from the author. This story was outside my usual genres but I took a chance and I'm glad I did, you will too. This was my first book from Elicia Hyder, I'll definitely check out her other acclaimed book "The Soul Summoner".
Heidi Pergolski
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elicia is a genius! She pours her heart and soul into her stories and once again she has outdone herself! Elicia developed a group of characters, brought them to life and I can’t get enough. I laughed, cheered at their triumphs, and most definitely cried at their sorrows. I flew through the pages. I enjoyed the addition of roller derby to the story line and hope more people will be willing to check out a bout in their area. I cannot wait to see where Lucy and the gang go from here. I am hooked!
Leah Hines
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is everything to love about this new book and new series from Elicia Hyder! The characters are great and feel like friends. Lucy is a lovable klutz that grabs the readers emotions from the start. The book is full of humor and a lightness that just makes you feel good reading it. I have to say, I am extremely intrigued by the world of roller derby now and would love to see it in live action at a bout. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in this series, it's going to be a great ride!
Jennifer Rounds
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read that you won’t put down!!

Omg what a funny and wild ride this book was! I never know what Roller Derby was and so I wasn’t so sure about this book. I’m so glad I took a chance on it. I wasn’t disappointed at all. I don’t give spoilers but I high recommend that you be ready to laugh and have an awesome time reading this book. I promise you won’t put it down until your done reading it!
Hollie-Mystery Girl 27
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucy is a strong accident prone woman who steps outside her comfort zone to join the Roller Derby world. The story moves along slowly getting you vested in the characters lives. Hyder draws you into this world making you a part of it. I felt like I was skating too. I couldn't put it down. If you are looking for strong women characters, a little romance, great friendships family, and sense of community. This is the book for you. I can't wait to see what else happens.
Kimberly Lord-bartoszek
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lights Out Lucy was such a fun book to read! I could really feel how much heart and soul went into this book so thank you Elicia! The book centers around Lucy, our charming and somewhat clutzy heroine, who is new to Nashville and trying to find herself. That's where Roller Derby comes in! A total newbie to the sport she gives it her all and really shows us what she's made of! I look forward to reading more of Lucy in the future! And yes, this book totally made me want to roller skate!
Kim
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lights Out Lucy was way more than I was expecting! From the blurb, I was like "oh look a YA book". Oh, NO I didn't!! This book smacked me from the start. Lucy was a fun, klutzy gal that got out there and just did it. Her friend Olivia was a hoot from the word go. Olivia was the best friend that we all hope to have in life. And West... Well just go read the book!!! You won't be disappointed and you'll have a heck of a fun time.
Krystina
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could give more stars

Amazing contemporary romance-y novel. Elicia is my favorite author and this novel just adds to the reasons to love her writing. Make sure you check out the secret epilogue if you read this book! I can’t wait for the next in the series, hopefully Lucy and West have some parts in it as well!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Elicia Hyder is a bestselling author of paranormal suspense and contemporary romance. You can get a FREE eBOOK by clicking this link: Get The Detective for FREE.

When I'm not writing, I can be found sipping craft beer in my blow-up swimming pool or beating my children at Harry Potter ⚡ trivia. I am married to a superhero and have two dogs with severe separation anxiety. I suck at CAPTCHA puzzles an