Start by marking “There's Only One You” as Want to Read:
There's Only One You

There's Only One You

Celebrate your individuality with this picture book that honors all the wonderful things that make you . . . you.
“A picture-book celebration of individuality and diversity. . . . Affirming and welcome.” —Kirkus

“In all the world over, this much is true:
You’re somebody special. There’s only one YOU.”

This feel-good book reassures kids that, whoever and whatever they are, it
Published May 7th 2019 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about There's Only One You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's Only One You

Start your review of There's Only One You
Kristin
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Each spread features an unnamed cast of children of different races, hair textures, and abilities and talks about how everyone is different and these differences are good and make you unique. The last few pages also talk about different types of families. Could be useful for talking about differences related to race, hair texture, ability, family dynamics, introversion, speaking style, etc.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
What's unique about you? This little picture book explores all the ways people can be different from each other and celebrates the delights of being unique. Every page is a bright, colorful collage of all the fun of being an individual.
Bookishrealm
I loved that this picture book had a rhyming scheme to it. It focuses on teaching children that being different and unique is something that is really special. This is one that I would love to read to my child. It will be extremely important to the development of her self-esteem.
Janet Squires
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THERE’S ONLY ONE YOU by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook with illustrations by Rose Butcher is a celebration of diversity and the special qualities that make each of us one-of-a-kind!

Are you outgoing or introvert? Boisterous or quiet? The simple but charming rhyming text speaks directly to the reader as it explores the many ways in which YOU are unique and assures the audience that being you is wonderful! The text pays attention to the obvious – differences in appearance – but gives equal
J.L. Slipak
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is a sweet picture book about self-esteem and teaching to value your importance in the world. This illustrations are done well and compliment the story, pushing the plot forward to its satisfying conclusion.

There is a good unfolding of the point the authors are making, steady paced and lots to see as you turn the pages. Bright and colorful, filled with lots to take in. This book teaches the young reader that each and every
Lilith Day
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are all different from one another. Some differences are seen while others are hidden. Instead of pointing out the differences, this book shows children from all races, backgrounds, and abilities doing what many children do and love. From going to school to visiting a zoo, everyone is the same.

I am very impressed with this book. It is a cute book that all children can relate to. It is very simple yet gets the point of inclusion across very nicely.

I received this book in exchange for an
N.
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful picture book about everyone being different, whether of features, languages, or degree of mobility. Great for anyone who feels like they don’t quite fit in because they’re shy, speak with an accent or have an unusual skin color for their area, use a wheelchair, etc. I love books about being accepting of differences and this one has illustrations that keep the eye moving with lots of different-looking people, including families with two moms or dads.
Terry
It is hard to say what I love most. The rhyme is spot on, both in tone and cadence. The illustrations are fabulous and allow everyone to see themselves in the images. Inclusion goes beyond race to incorporate physical attributes and challenges, like being wheelchair bound or deaf. Ultimately reminding readers that our individuality is something we all have in common!
Jana
Young children that are beginning to notice the world around them need to recognize themselves, their families, and their communities in the books that they read. This lovely picture book mixes welcoming and engaging digital artwork with bouncy rhyming text to celebrate the magnificent uniqueness of everyone. This would be a terrific book to read aloud to groups of young children anytime, but might be especially helpful at the beginning of the school year.
Emily
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
basically, the title of this book gives away what it is about! This is a book for younger kids, probably preschool to 2nd grade. It teaches them all about their individuality in a fun way. It is good to know from a young age that it is good to be yourself and that everyone is unique. I gave it 3 stars only because there are a lot of books exactly like it.
Lauren
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Iris Cardozo
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I loved how the author mentions all the different ways of being unique and it teaches children how to accept everyone and treat them as equal. But at the same time the author explains that no matter how you look there is only one you.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book that cheers on being unique in it's many forms: race, physical ability, family makeup, interests, personality, appearance etc. The illustrations are SO bright and detailed, with so many characters on each page.
Emma
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything I want in a picture book. It might be my new favorite. Inclusive illustrations, rhyming text.
Kaila
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, beautiful-books
YAY diversity!
Krissy Neddo
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet, cute illustrations. Teachers in grades K-2 may like to use the first week of school.
Baby Bookworm
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is There’s Only One You, written by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook, and illustrated by Rosie Butcher, a lovely celebration of diversity.

As a young red-headed girl gets dressed, the unseen narrator opens with a universal truth: you are unique! There is only one of you in the whole universe. The girl heads to school, spends time playing with her friends, and
Crystal
« previous 1 3 next »

• Truman
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • A New Home
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Lottie & Walter