Start by marking “Forsaking All Other” as Want to Read:
Forsaking All Other

Forsaking All Other

Love is no game for women; the price is far too high.

England 1585.

Bess Stoughton, waiting woman to the well-connected Lady Allingbourne, has discovered that her father is arranging for her to marry an elderly neighbour. Normally obedient Bess rebels and wrests from her father a year’s grace to find a husband more to her liking.

Edmund Wyard, a taciturn and scarred veteran o
Published March 12th 2018 by Courante Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Forsaking All Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaking All Other

Cathy
Read more reviews like this plus fascinating author interviews, exclusive guest posts and book extracts on my blog: https://whatcathyreadnext.wordpress.com/

I love historical fiction and the Tudor period is one of my favourite settings so I was immediately attracted to Forsaking All Other for this reason alone. I also adore the cover. However, I don’t really do ‘romance’ in historical novels, finding the romance often a little incongruous or on the sentimental side. However, in this case I needn’
Donna Maguire

This book is excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed every page!

Anyone who follows my blog will know that I am a massive fan of historical fiction and the Tudor period so this book was definitely one for me!!

The writing style for the story as perfect, it flowed so well and it took me back in time when I read it. I felt as though as I was living at the same time as the characters.

The characterisation was spot on and the whole book was superb.

No hesitation - 5 star
Theresa Smith Writes
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in the Elizabethan end of the Tudor era, Forsaking All Other is an absorbing novel of historical fiction, examining the miniature of class and social conventions against a backdrop of Catholic reprisals. While it is in part an historical romance, it also has themes of war and political insurgence.

Bess Stoughton was a worthy heroine, brave and intelligent, railing against the control of her father and determined to at least have some say in her own future. Already widowed and having lost a ch
Camille
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Forsaking All Other. The story is believable. Catherine Meyrick has skillfully recreated the everyday life of Tudor England - you're there with the characters without feeling like you're told about it. I don't read much Tudor historical fiction as I feel it often revolves around the same characters, mainly Henry VIII et al., so it was refreshing to read about "nobodies". The dialogues are well written, with a sense of the older English language without sounding forced.

I really l
Rosanne Lortz
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bess Stoughton had the misfortune to marry a man who didn't love her. Now that she is a young widow, she is content to remain a lady-in-waiting to Lady Allingbourne, but her father has other plans. When he arranges a second marriage for her, to a filthy and lecherous old man who will provide a good dowry, Bess balks at obedience and makes her escape. Furious, her father grudgingly agrees to give her one year to make a better match.

Edmund Wyard is a wealthy landowner and a soldier through and thr
Maria
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
A quote:
“That means little with Edmund. When he remembers he can be quite charming, but he does not remember often.” (Loc. 1488, quote from ARC)

“Forsaking All Other” is a carefully crafted and convincingly well-researched historical romance novel, with two strong characters who slowly fall for each other.
I really like a story where the couple moves from initial hostility to friendship, mutual admiration and attraction, and that’s wha
eyes.2c
A Woman's Lot!

A harrowing tale of love, duty and fear in the Elizabethan times of the 1580's. A time when fear of the Spanish and papists was rife in England, when wars were being fought to "protect both England and [the] Protestant faith."
More than that though this is the story of the widowed Bess Staunton fighting for the right to decide her own future, and not that of her father's devising. As a widow without a sinecure Bess is once more a slave to her father's wishes. For the time she has es
L.S. Young
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this love story and longed for its fruition: the hallmark of a good romance. Forsaking All Other is a novel with attention to detail in both historical accuracy and character. I stayed up late several nights to find out what would happen to the two main characters and how they would escape the traps laid for them. The setting of 16th century England, with all of its sights, smells, and sounds, including the terror of papist-hysteria, was engrossing and well-researched.

I found ki
Sonia Mcintosh
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I coudn't put down this first novel by Catherine Meyrick. The characters were believable and I felt their joy and their pain. I love the attention to historical detail and even the author's historical notes at the end of the book. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Mary Yarde
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Coffee Pot Book Club Historical Romance Book Of The Year Award 2018 — Gold Medal Winner.

Love is no game for women; the price is far too high.

Bess Stoughton has always been a dutiful daughter. She has never done anything to displease her father. However, it has been two years since her husband died and now her father has decided it is time for Bess to wed again. However, his choice in a husband for her is fatally flawed. Bess would rather die than marry the old and predatory Master Litchfiel
Veronica
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love historical fiction with romance and Catherine Meyrick does not disappoint! I felt as if I were in the 1500’s. Once I got through a few chapters of setting up the story and characters, I was hooked. Well worth reading.
Janine
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, great story with well drawn characters (and of course historically accurate). Kept me up late for quite a few nights wanting to find out what happened next!!
Indiebrag
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that FORSAKING ALL OTHER by Catherine Meyrick is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Tricia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5? I was really enjoying this, but I couldn't enjoy the conclusion. I felt like there was a lot of trauma that should have been explored more and dealt with rather than moving straight to the HEA, which felt rushed to me. But, all the historical research was fantastic and it felt very true to the period.
Jackie M
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forsaking All Others by Catherine Meryrick. BooksGoSocial, 2018.

I loved this book!

The story takes place over two years in Elizabethan England, 1585-1587.

Now that her husband has been dead two years, Bess Stoughton, a young widow, hopes to find someone to marry and have children. Seeking a loving relationship this time, she manages to postpone her father’s arrangement to trade her to an elderly and unsavoury neighbour for a coveted piece of land.

Although blessed with friends and sisters who lo
Viper Spaulding
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning historical romance set in Elizabethan England!

The romance is a simple set-up - Bess has to find a husband of her own choosing or be forced to wed the man her father has chosen; Edmund is also being pushed to get married, but he's hampered by his family's expectations. Even knowing that these two will find their HEA by the end of the book doesn't detract from the exquisite path they take to get there.

This story is breathtaking in its beauty, vividly describing the historical setting and
Cel Jel
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of a widow called Bess who is living in times when duty to the family is seen as important, and where marriage is arranged to further family fortunes. She serves as a lady in waiting for a woman who is at a higher level of society than hers, but who is caring to those who serve her. It is set during the times of Elizabeth I and so within the story the wariness of the Protestants towards the papists.
I loved the pacing of the book, the main characters I would enjoy to me
Clarissa
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a beautifully written book; one that takes place in one of my favorite times in history. Perhaps one has gathered that by how passionate I can be about the Elizabethan era. With a backdrop of the Catholics versus Protestants and always the worry of ‘Papist Plots’ to overthrow Elizabeth, I was certainly intrigued. I was always rather awestruck by how many plots were hatched or at least, thought were hatched.

Our heroine, Bess Stoughton, has been given a year to find a husband of her own c
Samantha Morris
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical and romantic fiction, then this book is for you.

I’ll admit now that romance isn’t something I would normally read. However I found myself pleasantly surprised with this book.

Set in 1585 amidst a torrid time in English history, we follow the story of Bess Stoughton and her mission to find a new husband. Normally such a story would bore me – however the main character of the story, Bess, is a strong willed young woman who takes risk. Many would perhaps say that is a cliche i
Patty
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elizabethan England was not the best of times to be a woman. At least not a woman of the middling upper class. Bess is a young widow who is serving a well born woman and is happy in that role. She is suddenly called home after her stepmother has a hard birthing. She and her stepmother did not get along as Bess was at a difficult age to lose her mother and saw this new woman as an interloper. While home her father informs her that she is to marry the old and decrepit neighbor as he lusts after a ...more
Annette
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts:
I love this story. I love the romantic element. I love the time period. I love the history of this era. I love the main character: Bess Stoughton.
Bess Stoughton is a mature woman. She is a widow. She is one of Lady Allingbourne’s waiting women. Bess is sent home to have a meeting with her father. Her father has arranged for her to marry an older man. This pushes Bess to take matters in to her own hands. I love this aspect of her personality. She is a woman who creates her own life. S
Laura Reading
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in one of my favorite historical time periods. The struggles between Catholics and Protestants is in the forefront and marriage matches are made to form alliances and keep peace, as well as for many other political reasons. While a woman is honestly a property to be owned and traded, per her father's wishes, the women of this period are very intelligent and strong.

Some fathers also have a heart, or just understand it would do not good to try to force their daughters' action
Christie Sitterly
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you love a good novel about perky, strong-willed, forward-thinking women, then this book is for you. This historical novel takes place in England in the late 1500s. Bess is facing an arranged marriage in this time of oppressed women. This novel has all of the great elements of a good story: love with a dollop of conflict, secrets, war, and lies. Fans of The Soldier's Return by Laura Libricz will appreciate this story, as well.
ChillwithabookAWARD With
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forsaking All Other by Catherine Meyrick has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"The book was so satisfying, it kept me turning the pages."

Pauline Barclay
Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Margaret Fisk
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

The year is 1585, Queen Elizabeth I is on the English throne, and the clash between Papists and Protestants is a full-scale war. The religious war forms the background of Forsaking All Other and is an integral part of the novel. This is a powerful story steeped in the religious conflicts of the time both personally and because Edmund Wyard, the male lead, is a soldier determined to protect England from Papist plotting. Bess Stoughton finds herself torn
Amanda Pittar
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Holiday Read

I enjoyed this like a good piece of chocolate cake. It was delicious from start to finish. The historical detail was good, not like some, where the story could have taken place at any time due to the dearth of detail. I cared about the characters, hated others ( a good sign) recognised Sir Francis, and enjoyed the weaving of the virulent anti Papism of the time into the story - a character “flaw” which would not be acceptable nowadays. Yup, good story, good writing, engaging - I
Lynne Titus
A good story like all before it

This book while good, follows the story line of all the other historical novels. A brooding hero, who rescued the damsel they are separated. Yada, yada, etc. I would have liked more character development. At places we are just left hanging. Then the book stopped..
Jeanette
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction is one of my all time favourite genres, so didn't hesitate at the chance to read 'Forsaking All Other'. To sum up this book in one word.... excellent. I am not going to write what the story is about, as i prefer one to read it for themselves, but i do highly recommend.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Marilyn Kavanaugh
Excellent

This clean romance is interwoven with historical events with plausibility,suspense, terror, and joy, and without the disruption of modern idiom.
Jill
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book grabs you right away. The characters are well written. I would recommend this to others.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Catherine Meyrick is a writer of historical fiction with a particular love of Elizabethan England. Her stories weave fictional characters into the gaps within the historical record – tales of ordinary people who are very much men and women of their time, yet in so many ways not unlike ourselves.

Although she grew up in regional Victoria, Australia, she has lived all her adult life in Melbourne. She