Start by marking “Oathbreaker (Legend of the Gods #1)” as Want to Read:
Oathbreaker (Legend of the Gods #1)

Oathbreaker

(Legend of the Gods #1)

A century since the departure of the Gods, the Three Nations are now united beneath the Tsar. Magic has been outlawed, its power too dangerous to remain unchecked. All Magickers must surrender themselves to the crown, or face imprisonment and death.

Alana's mundane life has just been torn apart by the emergence of her brother's magic. Now they must leave behind everything
Published March 18th 2018 by The National Library of New Zealand

To ask other readers questions about Oathbreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oathbreaker

Kaitlin
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2018
*This is one of my #SPFBO reads for this year*

I was hoping for good things when I picked this one up because the book looked pretty great from the cover and it seemed like it would definitely have my favourite thing... dragons! I'm glad to say after having finished it that I definitely had fun reading this and I got through the whole story in just two sittings.

This story follows Alana and her brother Braiden who are on the run from the Tsar. They know Braiden has got magic and it's not allowed
Bonnie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Oathbreaker", by Aaron Hodges, is an exciting adventure story that features several strong characters, one of whom is a sword-wielding young woman who is determined to protect her young brother, who has magical abilities which are just beginning to manifest, and a somewhat unwilling "protector" that they meet along the way, Devon, the wielder of the "Kanker" - a warhammer that had, at one time, belonged to his older brother, and his friend, Kellian, a former compatriot in war, who is now the pr ...more
Shirley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing! The story is well written and keeps the reader on their toes. It is truly an escape for the two siblings with many challenges and obstacles to overcome. I highly recommend this book to those that love adventure and fantasy along with magic.
Cath
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It starts with us following a main character, called Devon, as he approaches the festivities after the last battle of the war for control over the Three Nations. The Tsar, leader of Plorsea, with his Magickers, had defeated the Trolan army. Devon has different thoughts and shame for his role in winning the battle with his Warhammer (kanker) in his hand.

After returning home as a hero, he turns his back and resigns his commission, against the Tsar’s and peoples wishes and struggled for five years
Kaye
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A MASTERPIECE IN PROGRESS!!!
I freaking loved this book. I could tell you all about the story and the things that happened in it. But you read the blurb. I'm going to tell you how I felt reading it. Are you ready? Great. Its an easy to follow, wonderfully written, smooth flowing read that hooked me right from the start. The characters, the scenes and the locations were spot on realistic. The details and descriptions were so graphic I felt like I was a part of the adventure. There were plenty twis
Al Burke
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook warning!!

A mere hundred years after the events of the Sword of Light Trilogy, and the Three Nations are finally at peace under a new ruler known as Tsar. But things are not as they seem. Wielders of magic are hunted down by the Tsar's army of Stalkers. Alana and her brother Braden are such wielders, and are forced to run but the Stalkers are never far behind. When they meet Devon, a former hero now deemed a coward, they get some unexpected help. However, with the Stalkers not far behin
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The Tsar has outlawed magic since the war. People need to be protected from wild magickers who can cause mass destruction and death with their uncontrolled abilities. Parents are expected to bring their children to the Tsar if they develop magical abilities. Once a child has been turned over they are almost never seen again.
Alana's little brother has developed magical abilities and she wants to get him out the 3 kingdoms so he will be safe. In their efforts to escape the authority of the Tsar Al
Gail
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could choose one style of book ( which is hard for me) that I enjoy the most, this style is it. I love magic, dragons, and characters with a destiny to fight for good. In this story, the tsar has taken over after a long and cruel war. He has outlawed magic and if your child has the gift, you are supposed to turn them in. Stalkers search for these people and hang anyone that disobeys. This does not sit well for Devon who was a hero during the war. He thinks he did wrong by killing so many pe ...more
Bikram
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobookboom
Disclaimer.
I had requested and received audible version of this book for free from the author, in exchange for an unbiased review.

What I liked about the book -
This a fantastic start to a brand new fantasy series from the author Aaron Hodges. This is apparently a spin-off series starting a century after the author's previous series. I haven't read that previous series and didn't feel like I'm missing any backstory when I was listening to this book. This book is doing its own world-building and ch
Craig Jr.
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book had a really slow start, with a bit more telling on the background of the world instead of showing. After a few hours in, this book really picked up. The narrator for the audio book reminded me of the narrator for Game of Thrones, though he was a bit too slow. When I changed the speed from Normal to Fast, it was much better, but even then a touch too slow.

I liked the characters, and the trials they faced along the way. It's your standard quest fantasy with a touch of underlying romanc
AliceAnn
An enjoyable fantasy following a brother and sister, who have a good relationship, and a former war hero, who is now thought of as a coward since he chose to quit the Tsar's army. They're joined by a former army mate as they flee for their lives from the Tsar and his Stalkers, especially Quinn, a former army mate who is extremely jealous of Devon. There is magic, and dragons (I would love to see more of those!), and demons, and plenty of action to carry the story along. I have to say my favorite ...more
Ami
Aaron Hodges has proven, once again, that his excellent storytelling abilities are awake and thriving. Oathbreaker has every thing it needs to make the it a near perfect book. The world and characters are so well developed that I caught myself holding my breath during extremely tense moments. The action made me feel as if I was part of this adventure. The magic is not overdone, but well placed and there are dragons! I'm so looking forward to reading the next book in this this series. I highly re ...more
Deedra
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audible:I really liked this book!Magic is not allowed.While running from the authorities two young siblings one a magicker,first insult then blackmail a large man and his moneykeeper to get on a boat away from the city.The man decides the kids are ok and our adventure is ready to take another turn.David Stifel was a fine narrator for this book.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Joanne Hampton
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating storytelling. War is horrendous no matter where it is. Magic with it is worse and to be caught after the fighting is over with magic, you could be put to death if you harbor one. Alana and her brother Braidon who had magic were on the run and the unusual help they get to find passage on a boat and saving their lives was unexpected and surprising. Great characters, great writing. I received a complimentary copy of this book.
Jill Urbanek Gauger
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting

If you liked The Soul Sword Trilogy, you will enjoy this book just as much.
Alana must get her brother out of Ardath. He is a Magicker and magic is outlawed by the Tsar. She stumbles across Devon, a decendant of Alan the warrior who wielded the hammer in the final battle against Archon. Together with her brother and Devon’s friend Killian they all escape Ardath with the Tsar’s stalkers on their trail.
Great story and great characters with plenty of action.
Gayreth Walden
Awesome

This is a fantastic story. We are back in the Three Nations with well written and well developed characters. Fast paced and exciting! The author does not let us down with this thrilling story. Plenty of action with twists and turns. This is a book you will keep reading to the end, and what an end, I was totally surprised. I highly recommend this book, you will not be sorry!
Thomas C
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many twisted ways th victory

Which path will win? Ok, I'm hooked. Now I want the next book. She is the key but is brother a greater key? Oh all the lovely twists as characters and plots unfold. Now I'll have to buy, not borrow, this one. And I must follow A Hodges to know when his works come out. A very well done piece of work.
The Mysterious Reader
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is just a a “quickie” review. Unfortunately, I’m in in a hospital and asked my husband to post this since I don’t have the time to do better - even though the book definitely deserves it.

Bottom line: five stars. This was one wonderfully fun novel and definitely recommended. It had just what I wanted and was well written and with a great plot and great cast of characters.
Jackie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story. A pleasure to listen to this narrator. I felt as if I was a part of the story. I will definitely listen to the story again. Unfortunately I was unable to leave a review on Audible, as they decided to block me. I have always reviewed there. I really want everyone to know what an awesome story.
Milan
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Glenda Loux
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Uyoc8tx7tx8tx8tx8yc9tx9tx9t 9t 9y 8t

Gvvvbcnfgt8 it 9g ickvyo hlhbbyhoou hhgvcv hggbfvhuj chhvfhg in tnf xfvmg xfvvxg dcfg. Xcghcv gbfhvgh. Yggfvg tv gggyfgfvcvgggh bggghv
Ggggbghfgh
Roger
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
My second read/listen from author Aaron Hodges began slowly but was attention-grabbing and enjoyable. The first book in the Legend of the Gods series. I look forward to the next book in the series. Aaron Hodges has moved up on my TBR list and since I own 8 books by him that won't be a problem.
Eirlys
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Fantasy

Fantasy that thrills the reader. I loved the story of Alana and Devon, together with others such as Quinn. I enjoyed the unfolding of the story and how the book ended leaving me wanting more. A book well worth reading, especially with dragons too.
Carla
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Contains everything a fantastic fantasy novel shoulf

From regrets of using a "special" war hammer. To magic workers in hiding, dragons, chased across all kinds of landscape. I didn't want to put it down!
Joanna
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good storyline. Strong characters and a great twist at the end. Ready for the next book.
Aga
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I loved every second of it. Although now that I am emotionally invested I worry about what the other books hold in store.
Tenna Chatman
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing

Epic fantasy adventure. Alana is a real tough heroine and a loveable one. Devon is better than he realizes and they fight deadly enemies. The ending was surprising.
Donamarie Goldsmith
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An action-packed thrill ride. Loved this beginning of the series and am anxiously awaiting the next book. Great characters, storyline, and lots of magic and dragons.
Audrey
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story

It kept me on the edge of my chair. Lots of action and twists and turns. Aaron Hodges you did it again.
Sherron L Pace
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful

An amazing book or how powerful a Tzar is and how powerful magic can be and how dangerous. What a surprise ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Aaron Hodges was born in 1989 in the small town of Whakatane, New Zealand. He studied for five years at the University of Auckland, completing a Bachelor's of Science in Biology and Geography, and a Masters of Environmental Engineering. After working as an environmental consultant for two years, he now spends his time traveling the world in search of his next adventure.

Legend of the Gods (3 books)
  • Shield of Winter (Legend of the Gods #2)
  • Dawn of War (Legend of the Gods, #3)