Start by marking “The Blood And The Barley (The Strathavon Saga)” as Want to Read:
The Blood And The Barley (The Strathavon Saga)

The Blood And The Barley (The Strathavon Saga)

An Enduring Tale of Kinship and Loyalty. Smuggling and Survival.

The North-Eastern Highlands, 1780. The Jacobite Cause is lost, and in its bloody aftermath, momentous changes have been forced upon the Highlands and its people. Torn from an ancient clan way of life into a harsh world of taxes, rent rises, land reforms and evictions, life for the proud people of Strathavon is
Published March 6th 2018 by Braeatha Books (first published March 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood And The Barley, please sign up.
Angela MacRae Shanks Hi Candice,
Hi Candice,
Thanks for your question and your interest. It takes me about a year to write a book and get it edited, proofread and ready for publication, so book 2, working title, 'The Lore Keeper's Apprentice', although this may change, should hopefully be out around next March (2019).(less)

Start your review of The Blood And The Barley (The Strathavon Saga)
Coco.V
Apr 10, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (4/10/2018)!💝

An Evocative Tale of Smuggling and Survival.
Loyalty and Love.

The North-Eastern Highlands, 1780. The Jacobite cause is lost and in the repressive aftermath of Culloden, the government seeks to crush the ancient and proud clan system. In Strathavon, crofters risk their lives smuggling illicit whisky to scrape together the means to remain on the precious land of their fathers. For here land and kinship mean all.

Fiercely independent, Morven MacRae is the daughter
Space Cowgirl
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Live💘 And Die💀 In Scotland

Scotland 1780

This very interesting book leads us through a time period in Scotland's history when Catholicism was outlawed by the English 👑Crown. People found practicing could even be put to death.
The Scots in this book are involved in the making of illegal whiskey. They have to hide their stills and pay off officials to allow them to make the whiskey. The book follows the life of Morven, a young Scottish woman, her family, her 💘love, Jamie🐺🍆🌋🔪,and her involvement in
gj indieBRAG
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE BLOOD AND THE BARLEY (The Strathavon Saga) by Angela MacRae Shanks is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Cindy Woods
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

This tale of two families in late 1700's Scotland is written with such beautiful detail to dialogue as well as descriptions of ceremonies, festivals and locations.

The hard life endured by these crofter families is told as each character is detailed through their emotions and actions in their daily lives. Their fortitude in the face of adversities and strong love of family and their lands and heritage is told with clarity. The use of gaelic phraseology is often, but translated in the t
Helen Hollick
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
"This is a first novel and definitely an author to watch – I suggest a stricter technical editor, however, for her future novels.
Nevertheless, this is a well-told tale, and I’d love it to become a saga along Poldark lines."

5 stars because the story is superb and the author has taken the #DDRevs reviewer's advice & found herself a good editor. Definitely an author to watch! Shortlisted for Book of the Month selectio
Tony Parsons
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1780, North-Eastern Highlands. Time of the Jacobite cause.
2 of Morven MacRae (18, daughter/sister) family members: Malcolm MacRae (father), & Alec MacRae (son/brother) sold illegal whiskey.
Morven was learning a different trade from Rowena Forbes (neighbor, healer).
So many of the PPL have turned to the Jacobite faith.

Isobel McBeath (Hugh’s wife) warned everyone the Redcoats were on their way.
Life is not well blessed for her/husband Hugh McBeath (tax collector).
9 pregnancies & nothing to show fo
Linda
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
🌾It's a hard-knock life in their Highland farming community; will they ever get a break?!😕
July 10, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
👍This book was well-written and exciting, as Scottish Highlanders depending on illegal whiskey production to make ends meet deal with injustice, cruelty and graft in the late 18th century. It's also a sweet, clean 💜 romance between crofter's daughter Morven and honorable, handsome Jamie, orphaned by disease and returned to the area after years of exile in
Kimberly
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!!

Best book I’ve read in a long, long time and I am an avid reader! I wanted to stand up and cheer! Truly drew me into the land, the people, and the characters . It was such a relief to read really good writing and well developed plot - without the cheap reliance on sex or gore. For once, the heroine was not a willful spoiled brat and the hero was someone that could be held in high esteem. Bravo, bravo! I can’t wait for her next book!
Pauline Burling
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

This is so like Outlander, brilliant and a page turner. It conjures up a picture of life in the Highlands amidst the poverty and hardships of life. Fighting to survive and keep the family alive.
Highly recommend this book.
Mary Sue Wilson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scottish Novel

This novel takes place in the late 1700's in Scotland. It is the love story of Morgan and Jamie. During this time the Scottish were often mistreated by the Brits. They suffered from poverty and were evicted if they could not pay tent. Income was sometimes supplemented by the making and selling of illegal whisky. This is an interesting , well written novel.
Shadi McMillan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want more

I love the Gaelic tongue and the passion of the highlands. A beautiful and intelligent story especially for a first novel. I want more of Morven and Jaime!
Pat
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This historical love story was well written with characters that were so well rounded that I ended up reading this book in one sitting!
Rose Lambert
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

The struggles of the lower class and their resolve to meet and ride above the challenge made the country what it is today.
Virginia
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!

I was blown away by this book about families in Scotland. And to find out that it is this author's first book makes it even more awesome.
Susanne Berger
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little slow at first but keep reading

Keep reading and the story develops into a fine tale. The characters are developed and they suck you in. Good read!
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Blood and The Barley by Angela MacRae Shanks has received a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

"Extremely well-written, beautifully descriptive, and full of historical detail. "

Pauline Barclay - Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Linda Van roo
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice easy read. Love stories about Scottish history based of facts, which this seems to be.
Ann Reagan
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good first effort

I enjoyed the use of the Scots speech. Well written and researched. I recommend this one. Look forward to the next book.
Sherry Sharpnack
If you like novels w/ Scottish words and a more historically-accurate post-Culloden Scotland, read the “Outlander” series instead. This book is hopelessly derivative of Diana Gabaldon’s books, down to the names of the hero and the doomed infant, only w/o the time travel. Frankly, Ms. Gabaldon should sue for copyright infringement.

I did like the small bits of description for whisky production and the description of the duel at the end. Otherwise, the plot is predictable and the writing frankly is
Rebecca Berinstein
Jul 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Much too hard to follow had to DNF.
Elisa
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was an OK read but I just could not get invested in the characters or the story. I found myself starting other books and putting this aside. I finally gave up.
Margaret Murray
Jan 26, 2021
Kasey Decker
Oct 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Greenest Branch (Hildegard of Bingen #1)
  • Highland Vengeance (Celtic Blood #3)
  • Highland Blood (Celtic Blood #2)
  • Highland Queen (Celtic Blood #4)
  • Highland Raven (Celtic Blood #1)
  • The Column of Burning Spices (Hildegard of Bingen #2)
  • A Class Apart (A Matter of Class, #1)
  • A Class Entwined (A Matter of Class, #2)
  • A Class Forsaken (A Matter of Class, #3)
  • The Circle of Ceridwen (Circle of Ceridwen Saga, #1)
  • The Silver Dark Sea
  • The Forgotten Kingdom (The Lost Queen Trilogy, #2)
  • Corrag
  • The Tide Between Us: An Epic Irish-Jamaican Story of Passion, Loss and Inescapable Destinies
  • Lady Macbeth
  • The Mountain
  • Sidroc the Dane: A Circle of Ceridwen Saga Story (Circle of Ceridwen Saga, #0.5)
  • The Valley

Angela MacRae Shanks was born in Garmouth, a village near the mouth of the river Spey in north-east Scotland, and still lives near here with her family and two cats. Her mother was born in Strathavon – a real place – and the maternal side of her family all belong to this remote and beautiful glen.
This is a place close to Angela’s heart, an area she has been visiting since childhood. Here she fi