Jump to ratings and reviews
Fourteen-year-old Callum Silver sees dead people. It’s not a gift. His family thinks he’s crazy. Sometimes he thinks he’s crazy. He has no friends. He’s forced to live his life surrounded by nothing but the searing pain, sickening smells and desperate moans that accompany the murdered ghosts who seek him out.

When he’s offered a place at Camp Wanagi, the ten weeks in the French countryside isn’t a vacation, it’s a lifeline. A way to meet others like himself and prove his ability can offer more than years of loneliness and expensive therapy bills.

Run by a mysterious group known as the Oracle of Senders, Camp Wanagi brings together teens from around the globe who all possess the unique ability to see the dead. While Cal is relieved to find others like him, he learns quickly that not everybody experiences the spirits as he does. Some of the campers revere their abilities and don’t understand his hesitation, while others—like quiet bookworm Meander Rhoades—have good reason for wishing they could get rid of their ‘gifts’.

While researching their final project, Cal and Meander find an unmarked grave which reveals aspects of their abilities neither knew existed, forcing Cal to decide if the torture of seeing ghosts is worthwhile and, more importantly, if being a part of the Oracle of Senders is necessary, dangerous…or both.

283 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 10, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mere Joyce

16 books80 followers
Mere Joyce lives in Ontario, Canada. As both a writer and a librarian, she understands the importance of reading, and the impact the right story can have. She is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, and holds a Masters of Library and Information Science from the University of Western Ontario.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews
Profile Image for Schizanthus Nerd.
1,117 reviews226 followers
February 28, 2019
Do you see dead people?

Do you want to attend summer camp in France?

Even though it’s run by a mysterious organisation?

Then Camp Wanagi is the place for you!

Cal’s ability to see spirits initially got him sent to therapy. Now the Oracle of Senders has invited him to attend a ten week summer camp in order to learn more about his abilities. Cal is looking forward to finally meeting other people like him, although he’s not as excited as some of the other campers about being able to see spirits.

My favourite characters were Meander, the reader of the camp (I know, I had to love the reader!) and Dylan, who stole my heart when he shared his cheeseburgers. Without knowing how long it will be before I read the sequel and with lots of names and abilities to remember, I made myself a cheat sheet for future reference. I’ve included information you learn about characters throughout the book so only read this spoilery bit if you’re absolutely sure.

I loved that neither the ghosts nor the camp participants were one size fits all. Each of the campers experience spirits in different ways and it’s clear they will often need to combine their talents in order to solve problems. I adored the awkward blushing between two of the boys and am hopeful that this will develop into a sweet first love.

My nerd’o’meter needed to know more about the classes the campers attended than what I learned in this book. The couple of classes we attended with Cal didn’t quench my thirst so I’m hoping for more details in future books.

There appeared to be very minimal adult supervision at this camp. Most of the people mentioned are teenagers. It made no sense to me that after the ten weeks at camp all of these kids were sent on their merry way until next summer with no indication that there’d be any support or guidance provided to them in the meantime. The mysterious Oracle of Senders also remain a mystery to me; I don’t trust them but haven’t found any evidence to back up my gut feeling. Yet.

While I enjoyed this book some of the writing didn’t ring true for me. I wondered what 14 year old boy would be impressed by another boy’s penmanship and whether any kid these days would describe something as coming “into focus like a photo developing”. That reference in particular seemed more appropriate for an oldie like myself.

As Shade is the first book in a series there was the expected introduction to characters and world building. While there was some action in this book I felt there was a big build up followed by a quick and fairly simple resolution. I’m expecting the action will really kick off in the sequel and keep building throughout the series. I anticipate at least four books in this series, one for each year at the camp.

Thank you so much to NetGalley, 7Sisters Publishing and Weapenry Co-Op for the opportunity to read this book. I’m ready to read Revenant now!
Profile Image for Montzalee Wittmann.
4,452 reviews2,319 followers
February 24, 2019
Shade (Oracle of Senders, book 1) by Mere Joyce is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This is a young adult/teen fantasy book about teens that can see ghosts. They are recruited to a special school to learn to enhance their gifts. Each person has a different approach to ghosts. One sees murdered ghosts, one sees animal ghosts, mothers that died in child birth, another just senses them around. It is an interesting book and a great book for supernatural nuts like me. I like how the gifts, their backgrounds, and how the kids open up about themselves evolve. The characters and plot is well thought out. I think teens will really enjoy this paranormal adventure!
Profile Image for Rachel.
1,396 reviews145 followers
September 28, 2019
*thank you to Netgalley, Mere Joyce and 7Sisters Publishing for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

I don't know if it's just me, but this book felt more Middle Grade than Young Adult. Which normally I wouldn't mind, but I was prepared for this to be YA and I guess parts further into the story were.

Cal sees Ghosts. He has for a long time. He ends up flying to France to go to a camp called Camp Wanagi. (That name kinda made me not able to take the story too seriously, and it did keep distracting me but I feel that's more my says than anything else.) There he's able to meet other teens that see ghosts too. Being a paranormal fan (just think ParaNorman), I guess I was expecting more on the horror side of that. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't. It was a nice enough story but it didn't hold up to my expectations. I would suggest others give this a try though because I feel it's one of those books where it's a hit or a miss. It was more of a miss for me but that wasn't due to it being written badly or anything.
Profile Image for Mcf1nder_sk.
595 reviews17 followers
May 10, 2018
As I make my way through my TBR of "Authors I follow or follow me on IG", I came across the seriously talented @merejoyce, and chose this novel, the first in the Oracle of Senders series. After reading this story, I hope she doesn't take her time writing the rest of the series.
Callum Silver has a disturbing ability; he can see ghosts, but only those of murder victims. When he receives an all expenses paid invitation to Camp Wanagi, a special camp for teenagers with paranormal abilities, Callum feels that maybe he isn't such a freak anymore. Maybe he can learn how to get by in the world, and not be as alone as he had felt all his life.
Mere Joyce has created a wonderfully touching paranormal/YA story, with all of the friendship, angst and sense of aloneness felt by all teenagers, ghost viewers or not. The cast of characters surrounding Callum at Camp Wanagi, from the light-spirited Dylan to the aloof Meander, are all thoroughly fleshed out, and the storyline is as finely written as any YA I have read. Joyce has made a new fan, and I'm eagerly anticipating reading the upcoming second book in the series, Revenant.
Profile Image for Cindee.
739 reviews31 followers
April 15, 2022
I really enjoyed this book I liked everything about it from the characters to the story even the concept is really interesting. I really loved all of the characters but I loved Cal and Meander most of all I know no romance has started yet but I can see it and I really loved how their friendship progressed throughout the story. I really loved Cal for how he approached the ghost thing even if it took awhile for him get it I also liked his relationships with his group wherein there are many interesting characters that I am really interested in reading more about. I really loved the plot at the start there is Cal on a plane trying to ignore a ghost with him going to a summer camp for kids with paranormal abilities there are many interesting things about the camp where he meets many people finds out many things and is looking forward to going back for the next summer. So overall I loved this book I will read the rest of the series soon.
Profile Image for Teresa Barrera.
283 reviews7 followers
April 14, 2018
Fourteen year old Cal can see the dead ever since he can remember and throughout his life no one believed him and thought he was crazy imagining things. Cal had never met or known anyone who had abilities like him till he went to Camp Wanagi, a special camp for those who have paranormal abilities.
At Camp Wanagi, Cal along with others learn more about their abilities and that everyone has different abilities and how to work together understanding and development.
I enjoyed the characters and felt their realism. I was definitely hooked from page one and couldn't put it down. I love paranormal reads and this will be added as a favorite.
This was a great YA paranormal read, I really enjoyed it. Mere Joyce definitely knows how to pull a reader in. I can't wait to see what happens next for these characters when the next book is published.
Profile Image for Leona.
44 reviews2 followers
April 16, 2018
*** Being honest and upfront in my review, I received an ARC copy of this book from Lady Amber's PR.***

Cal has always felt like he doesn't fit in with his peers, that's he different...and alone. Until now. He's been accepted to Camp Wanagi which is a summer camp for people like him. People that can interact with spirits in one form or another. Sadly, for Cal, this has not been a pleasant experience in his current 14 years of life including the most recent encounter on the plane trip to France. The ghosts Cal can see are those that have been murdered.

Camp Wanagi isn't just a summer camp. It is more of a summer school where people like Cal learn about the spirit world and how to interact with it and possibly use their powers. For ten weeks, Cal is with nine other campers in the Shade group - each person with their own way of seeing or feeling ghosts of human - or lupine - nature.

I was hooked from the start even if books about the supernatural don't always hold my interest. Cal feels very real - the way Mere Joyce describes what Cal's thinking and feeling doesn't feel forced or out of place. I can visualize and empathize with the characters and what they're feeling. We also learn more about Cal as he is able to be honest with himself; it's refreshing to not either have all the information to start or none for the whole book until the end. The interactions with the characters work well; people don't automatically get along and not everyone is the same or fits into a mold.

I struggled at times because the narration felt like it could've been from the third person while in Cal's head, but it was all from Cal's POV. From time to time, the sentence structure or telling of an event felt more like a narrator than the main character. It didn't bother me to the point of frustration, but I did have to go back to restart a paragraph to grab the correct cadence.

One thing I would have liked more of is details about Cal's classes or interactions with his peers while at camp. I wanted the end project and end of the book to be longer; it felt a bit rushed. Up to that point, though, the book had great pacing and I felt immersed in Cal's head and world. I look forward to the next book in the series!
Profile Image for Books.
153 reviews6 followers
February 10, 2019
YES YES YESSS 🙌 Shade was everything I hoped it would be and more! I loved reading this so much!

Think of a young adult version of Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas 👌 for those who don't know the series basically a fun twist on "I see dead people" 🙈

Shade is the first year title for young adults who attend Camp Wanagi, a summer camp for those who see, feel, hear or experience spirits/ghosts and the undead in one way or the other 👻

The definite highlight for me is reading about different ways people experience spirits, our protagonist Callum can see ghosts... But only those that have been murdered 🤗 his friend can't physically "see" ghosts but pictures them in her minds eye and can draw them, another camper acts as a conduit for ghosts to possess him and one simply heightens the negative emotions of ghosts... Crazy but awesome 🙌

The book follows his first year at Camp Wanagi and coming to terms with his "power" and the realization he's not alone ❤

I flew through this book and am DESPERATE for a sequel! DEFINITELY worth the read! 🔥

HUGE THANKYOU to Netgalley, 7 Sisters Publishing and Mere Joyce for the opportunity to read and review this awesome book 🙏
Profile Image for Alice Rachel.
Author 22 books282 followers
December 31, 2018
This book was awesome!
It was a thrill from the beginning to the end, the characters complex, the story creepy. I loved it!
Profile Image for Shell Hunt.
483 reviews31 followers
February 13, 2019
Ok. A book about a school for paranormal investigators? Teenage Harry Potter without magic, but lots more ghosts? Sounds cool right? This book couldn't be more directed at me.
The first section starts on a plane and a boy named Callum is stressed because there's a ghost on board. The descriptions and character really caught my attention.
Then we're of the plane and we meet seven (maybe more, maybe less?) Characters going to the house school with Cal.
I find myself wondering "why?" To everything anyone does in this book. The characters motives aren't developed enough to facilitate the story. I want to know why Cal goes to the school,why he stayed, why he doesn't tell the instructors about the weird stuff going on? Especially if he hates his gift? It makes more sense to involve other people.
I also feel as though the plot was weak and didn't really compel me to keep reading. Cal's doubt in continuing at the school or not doesn't matter to me.
There were a lot of characters in the book as well and it felt a little crowded sometimes. I couldn't tell the difference between anyone unless it was Cal, Mom, kornelia, or Meander.
I thought the book was middle grade until half way through. It's very basic. I wish the rest of the book was more like the beginning.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Debbie McQueen.
Author 8 books65 followers
September 22, 2018
Camp Half-blood meets Supernatural

This was a really fun book Shade follows Cal at a summer camp for teens that can see/hear/feel ghosts and spirits. Cal always hated his ability to see the ghosts of murder victims. He grew up feeling alone and scared and rejected. Now, he's been selected for a special camp that trains and teaches kids who each have unique abilities and helps them learn how to use their talents to help the ghosts move on.
I love the unique and various ways that each character experiences spirits and the types of spirits that they experience. It is very clever and well thought out, and a really great supernatural YA story.
I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series to see where the characters go and what kind of haunting adventures they will face.
1 review1 follower
November 19, 2020
This book will appeal to people who like a schoolyard vibe or a summer camp vibe with a magical twist. Percy Jackson comes to mind more than Harry Potter. It has lots of humor, teenage emotions, social tension and situations, and ghosts. A band of magical friends has to figure themselves, and the world, out, rather than so much focus on saving the world. But also not all the magical friends get what the protagonist is going through so he has a smaller, inner circle he shares things with.

The intriguing premise and worldbuilding will hook people in and keep them interested as the story progresses. The book will keep people interested long enough for readers to get to know the characters, of which there are many. This is a fun, interesting, and a bit dark and mysterious read. There are some loveable and enjoyable characters and I think there is at least that would be a favorite for every reader. Fans of shipping will find lots of interesting material for reading between the lines. Delectable social tension in the midst of ghost wrangling. Readers with a low tolerance for repeated information may be slightly annoyed by that experience in two or three places in the book, but I think the annoyance is worth letting go to experience the book as a whole, which I think overall is a good experience. And, information is revealed slowly and not info dumped anywhere, which readers will appreciate.

It is helpful that each character has “a thing” to help keep them all in order to a certain extent.
It’s still a little confusing though. Readers who aren’t daunted by a lot of characters will love this
Readers who get tripped up about a lot of character should consider taking a more laid back approach and giving themselves a long time to get to know all the characters and not worry about being confused because the story is interesting. If you can, just let it happen, even if you don’t know who’s saying what. Just be like, “oh the running one” or “the loud one” or “the insect one” or “the book one.” Also, if possible, work through the slight annoyance of having certain information repeated, because the overall book is interesting to read.

Those interested in the set up of a gay ghost romance story mixed in with ghost action will also want to pick this book up. (Slow burn throughout however many, I expect 4 though, novels).

I received this book to read for free in exchange for an honest, unbiased book review and I am grateful for the opportunity because I really enjoyed this book.
Profile Image for Tonja Drecker.
Author 3 books174 followers
April 16, 2018
A haunting read packed with mystery, uncertainty, action and facing unexpected decisions.

Callum, aka Cal, sees ghosts of those who have been murdered since he was a little child. His parents have thrust him in therapy for years, but now, he finds himself invited to a camp in France, where supposedly people with his abilities learn not only to work with them, but hopefully, join a force of specialists who help spirits find a release to the other side. But the camp holds many more surprises, especially when he discovers another with similar abilities. And these abilities hold more than either of the two might be willing or able to handle.

What a creepy and enticing read! Cal is a wonderful character. A little sarcastic, not Mr. Sunshine, but ready to bend and very down to Earth. He acts older than fourteen (most of the characters do) but otherwise, he is very easy to connect to and empathize with. The others around him are intriguing and add the right amount of personality and bite. The entire group comes across very natural and believable, even when they each have their own paranormal abilities.

The paranormal abilities aren't played up as in many pieces of literature in so far that the characters deal with them on a very natural level. Some of the abilities are stronger than others, but never do they come across as a super power. Instead, the powers mold perfectly in with a modern world. And they keep the creepy factor high.

This is about ghosts, and they come in all shapes and sizes. The author does a great job at keeping even this aspect fairly grounded, letting the haunting atmosphere ease in. It's spooky, but not a horror. Creepy but more of a mystery. In other words, it's a wonderful mixture with a taste of teen camp as these kids learn to deal with who they are and try to find their place in the world—or even if they want to face it. And all of this in a nice paced read with surprises around every corner. . .most of them being of the very chilling sort.

Fans of YA Paranormal and slightly spooky reads are sure to devour this one.

I received a complimentary copy and loved this one so much (and I'm not even a fan of spooks in the night), so I wanted to leave my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Online Eccentric Librarian.
2,831 reviews5 followers
May 4, 2019

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

While I did not love Shade, it was a fun read that kept me invested to the end. The author looks to have had fun creating different ways the kids can see the ghosts/dead and the characters were interesting and nicely flawed/nuanced. But I can't say the plot was in any way believable and it did feel this was written for a younger teen rather than older.

Story: Cal can see ghosts - and it has haunted him his whole life because he always sees ghosts who were murdered. When he receives an invitation to a camp in France for people like him, he is excited - he may not be alone in his 'curse'. Once there, he discovers that people see different types of ghosts in different ways - none in the same manner. Together with the campers in his group, they will learn more about their abilities while also competing against other camp groups. All the while, he is learning more about the mysterious owners in charge of the camp - the Senders.

There are enough fun characters that you'll get pulled in fast. Cal is a down-to-Earth hero that is trying to figure it all out while also befriending then protecting his fellow campers. Meander is a cipher who immediately captures Cal's interest (including romantically), and there are others who have their own quirks. They band together to survive the trials but soon it is clear that the ghosts are very dangerous and they have to ensure no one dies. Along the way, they discover more about each other.

There is a lot of action to keep readers invested and a nice arc completion at the end. It's an addictive story that makes you want to continue to the next in the series. Reviewed from an advance reader copy provided by the publisher.
Profile Image for Kelly Marie.
491 reviews4 followers
April 15, 2018
“I see dead people”….One of the best lines ever! In this case, Callum, doesn’t feel like this is the best thing to happen to him.
First, I love this book and can’t wait for the next installment. Second, Cal is such a relatable character, of course he would be if you could see dead people too…or can you? Third, the supporting characters and the world building are perfect!
This is a YA paranormal story. Cal is the main character and sees dead people. But he sees only those who have been murdered. They have an interestingly difficult effect on him. Everyone thinks he’s crazy, his family has dumped tons of time into therapy, but with an offer from Camp Wanagi he may be able to put some of this to rest. He doesn’t get much info on what Camp Wanagi is all about and it is run by a secret organization but he has high hopes of trying to find someone like him or to shed some light on why he sees the dead. This story follows Cal and a group of 14 year olds that all have special abilities with spirits of all sorts. Each person’s ability is different and some of the others feel that it is a gift while others feel it is a curse. The summer for all the campers is quite the experience for all of them. As they hone in their abilities and the spirits come forth, they find that they all need each other more than they realized. This is an incredible story watching the campers changing. No, transforming into the young adults they want to be.
I can’t tell you how good this book is as I just can’t get the words right. Mere Joyce is a new author for me and I am hooked. I can’t wait to check Mere’s other books and I can’t wait for the next installment in this series!
Profile Image for A.D..
15 reviews22 followers
January 30, 2019
When first we meet fourteen-year-old Callum Silver, he is aboard a flight to France, trying to ignore the nausea-inducing stare of a spirit. He is bound for Camp Wanagi, a sort of training ground for youths who, like himself, are able to interact with the spirits of the dead.
Joyce's "Shade," book one in the Oracle of Senders series, is a fast, entertaining read, containing hints of Camp Half-Blood, yet also thoroughly unique. The characters are diverse, and I look forward to getting to know them better as the series continues.
While pacing was pretty good, some aspects of the story did feel a touch skimmed over, such as classes and day-to-day peer interactions. However, I understand that the first in a series is used to provide a framework for later installments to build from. This desire to see more does not speak ill of the novel, to the contrary, it is born of an enjoyment of the story and desire for a more complete glimpse into its world.
The story concluded in a mostly satisfying way. There were two ends I felt were left un-tied, but I strongly suspect those loose ends will become plot lines in the next novel in the series, "Revenant."
A small thing, but the word "smirk" was used entirely too often. Otherwise, I would recommend it to fans of spooky Y/A novels.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for C. Erani Kole.
1,647 reviews46 followers
April 14, 2018
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from Lady Amber's PR*

I liked it! Psychics and camps are some of my absolute favorite things, so imagine my fangirling moment when I saw that this book combined both and set it up shop in France. I thought the beginning was a great hook to something mysterious and creepy (cause you know, dead people) and the ending really revived things and made me want to read the second book. The middle, oddly, wasn't my favorite. Cal isn't very social so when he wasn't tuning people out or putting in his two cents with his friends, he was thinking about the same things, worrying and contemplating about his abilities. A few things felt odd but then something really cool and creepy would happen and make me forget about it. I really liked some of his friends, like Dylan and Meander. They're all very young, of course, but considering they all deal with ghosts and whatnot, I can't really fault them for still being young. Like, at least they get to still be young despite all the death stuff, you know? So overall, it's between a 3 and 4 for me, and despite my rating, I find this thing strangely precious to me. It was creepy, it had action, it had some cool thoughts on energy, and it had some of the moments I live for. Cue smile.
Profile Image for Annamarie.
245 reviews1 follower
November 5, 2020
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is another new to me author. This book tells the story of a teenage boy wo is attending a summer camp for people who have special paranormal gifts.

Each of the ten new recruits have different gifts though some overlap, the main character Callum see’s the spirits of people who have been murdered. His parents thought he was scrazy and sent him to therapy but the Senders know different, they believe he has a gift that he should embrace. He isn’t sure why he’s at camp he accepted the invite because he wanted to be around people like him even though he believes his ‘gift’ is a curse because of how it makes him feel then he sees the spirit.

Callum makes friends with the other kids in his group, but he is closer to some more than others and I hope in the future we get to read more about the other kids and their gifts.

This kind of book is my type of book, I love all types of supernatural books, witches, vampires and even ghosts.
Profile Image for chix.
143 reviews
February 2, 2022
Loved it! First, I am so curious about the author’s research (and how long) because this book is very interesting to me. The characters are from different backgrounds and possess specific talents when seeing the dead. There’s one who only sees spirits of the murdered, one who only sees spirits of the brokenhearted, one who can make them angry there are also the ones who can’t see them but feel them, and get this – spirits of dead dogs, and so much more.

Tbh, it would've been nice to have read this when I was younger but either way, I enjoyed it. The writing of the story, the way the characters are represented and how they interact with each other during their adventures will keep you wanting more. All these kids who thought they were different or were treated differently are trained to help spirits move on and in turn, they found people who made them feel they finally belonged. It’s fun and creepy but I’m guessing the next books in the series will have more horror and adventures and I can’t wait to get to it.
Profile Image for Denise.
4,120 reviews13 followers
April 23, 2018
This is my first time in reading this author with it sucking me in right away. Alot of that is due to the fact this is centered around a youth with that being different course for me to read which leads to refreshing. Liking paranormal and fantasy with reading them for many years it is getting harder and harder to find new ones that are not over done. Callum is also one that you latch onto wanting to see where he is going with all his burdens. Another interesting aspect on this one is the camp with the others now that is attention catching for sure. You see that this evolves with when things happen they have aspects revealed. Interesting indeed this one proved to be with it also being a opener that also captures you for future ones.
Profile Image for Barbara Gartman.
192 reviews6 followers
November 7, 2020
Shade is absolutely going on my favorites and I'd definitely read this over and over again lists. I wasn't expecting to be pulled into the story so quickly, but I was and I enjoyed every single minute. Shade is the kind of book you can lose yourself in very easily. There were times that I felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and other times where I found myself yelling at the characters. I love the complexity of each character and their parts in the story-line as it progressed. The attention to detail was wonderful and made for an entertaining and fun read. I can't wait for more to come. I highly recommend purchasing and reading this book.

*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion/review.*
Profile Image for Sue Plant.
1,415 reviews15 followers
January 22, 2019
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

think harry potter

this is about a group of students who have the ability to see dead people...ghosts...and they try to get them to cross over

though they are students who have to learn their skills and its 10 weeks every year at a camp where they are taught their skills

very enjoyable book i can see this series being a fun one to read and follow

loved all the characters and learning how their skills were coming along an easy book to read

will be keeping a look out for more of this authors work
Profile Image for Ann.
5,068 reviews59 followers
May 3, 2019
I really liked this teen fantasy book that is the first in the Oracle of Senders series. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Callum Silver sees dead people and his family thinks he sick or crazy. He feels so alone. When he gets invited to a camp in France he jumps at the chance to get away. He soon discovers he is not alone with his "gift". This camp gathers teens like him and starts training them to use their gift for good. Teen readers will enjoy the meetings with the dead and I think it gives a subtle message that you are never alone. Adults can enjoy this also,. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
471 reviews3 followers
November 9, 2020
I really enjoyed the book. I loved that it isn't a one size fits all type of paranormal. Each person has their own abilities and seem fairly unique to each person. Cal is intriguing and I really liked his growth throughout the book. Meander was probably my favorite secondary character with his love for reading and his standoffish attitude. Kornelia was my other favorite. Her gifts seem so interesting and I really hope we get to see more of her in the next book. This really was a well written easy to follow book with a lot of interesting characters. Can't wait to read the next one.

I received a copy of this book inexchange for an honest and unbiased review
Profile Image for Marie Pedrick.
116 reviews3 followers
April 19, 2018
Well what can I say about this story other than I need the next one?! I loved this book and couldn’t put it down.
With a different way of looking at ghost stories this book has twists and turns following Cal on his first summer at camp Wanagi, a camp for those with usual talents run by the oracle of senders, a mysterious company no one has heard of until they’re invited to the summer camp.
Learn all about spirits along with Cal and his new friends.
This review was written on behalf of Amo’s book corner.
Profile Image for Aimee.
341 reviews15 followers
November 9, 2020
This is the first story I have read by Canadian author Mere Joyce but it won't be the last. I really enjoyed Cal and his interactions with his fellow campers. I love how he interacts with Meander and how he has great compassion and understanding for those around him. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Oh and let's talk about this cover!! It is fantastic. I think it really fits with the story. More people need beautiful covers like this.

I'm going to go stalk...I mean follow, the author everywhere now!

Happy Reading
Profile Image for United Indie Book Blog.
4,227 reviews78 followers
April 13, 2018
Shade kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the book. The beginning seemed a tad slow but I’m thankful we got to know everyone and groups so we weren’t lost with the rest of the book. Cal can see ghosts and he goes to camp in order to learn more about his “gifts”. Shade is a YA paranormal ghost story, it’s unique and definitely kept me turning the pages. Joyce Mere’s writing is smooth, clear and I’m looking forward to more.
Review by Raychel
Profile Image for Cyrene Olson.
1,196 reviews15 followers
October 3, 2018
A supernatural young adult book with lots of ghosts. Perfect for a chilly October read, I enjoyed this book. That I read it so slow because I didn’t want it to end. Think of Harry Potter meets Ghosts vibe. Of course this is only the first book in the Oracle of the senders series. I am crazy about being apart of this summer camp. I wish I could go. Counting the days until book two. This book is a big five stars from me I highly recommend this.
Reviewed by Jennifer
Profile Image for Tammy.
1,333 reviews29 followers
March 8, 2019
This was a YA version of Supernatural with a Hogwarts feel. It may not have the humor of Supernatural but it still put me in mind of it. Cal and his Shade group are just discovering what their powers can really do in regards to the paranormal. Their final was to release a ghost using their abilities. Story was a mixture of slow and fast-paced action. I liked that the group had their own unique ability. Looking forward to Book 2.
Profile Image for Jamie Lynn Lano.
Author 2 books38 followers
Read
May 13, 2021
LGBT+ rep: it wasn’t defined but I am pretty sure there is a secret wlw going on. There is also the beginnings of an mlm stirring (this becomes a relationship in the next book)
Other rep: Brazilian Scandinavian, Samoan Thai. Because of personal experience I really appreciated the representation of people from countries that don’t look like people stereotypically from those countries.
CW: multiple references to murder, poltergeists, ghosts
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.