Start by marking “Shade (Oracle of Senders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shade (Oracle of Senders, #1)

Shade (Oracle of Senders, #1)

Fourteen-year-old Callum Silver sees dead people. It’s not a gift. His family thinks he’s crazy. Sometimes he thinks he’s crazy. He has no friends. He’s forced to live his life surrounded by nothing but the searing pain, sickening smells and desperate moans that accompany the murdered ghosts who seek him out.

When he’s offered a place at Camp Wanagi, the ten weeks in the Fr
Published April 10th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Shade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shade

Start your review of Shade (Oracle of Senders, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shade (Oracle of Senders, book 1) by Mere Joyce is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This is a young adult/teen fantasy book about teens that can see ghosts. They are recruited to a special school to learn to enhance their gifts. Each person has a different approach to ghosts. One sees murdered ghosts, one sees animal ghosts, mothers that died in child birth, another just senses them around. It is an interesting book and a great book for supernatural nuts like me. I ...more
Schizanthus Nerd
Do you see dead people?

Do you want to attend summer camp in France?

Even though it’s run by a mysterious organisation?

Then Camp Wanagi is the place for you!

Cal’s ability to see spirits initially got him sent to therapy. Now the Oracle of Senders has invited him to attend a ten week summer camp in order to learn more about his abilities. Cal is looking forward to finally meeting other people like him, although he’s not as excited as some of the other campers about being able to see spirits.

My fa
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Mere Joyce and 7Sisters Publishing for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

I don't know if it's just me, but this book felt more Middle Grade than Young Adult. Which normally I wouldn't mind, but I was prepared for this to be YA and I guess parts further into the story were.

Cal sees Ghosts. He has for a long time. He ends up flying to France to go to a camp called Camp Wanagi. (That name kinda made me not able to take the story too seriously, an
Mcf1nder_sk
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I make my way through my TBR of "Authors I follow or follow me on IG", I came across the seriously talented @merejoyce, and chose this novel, the first in the Oracle of Senders series. After reading this story, I hope she doesn't take her time writing the rest of the series.
Callum Silver has a disturbing ability; he can see ghosts, but only those of murder victims. When he receives an all expenses paid invitation to Camp Wanagi, a special camp for teenagers with paranormal abilities, Callum
Teresa Barrera
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen year old Cal can see the dead ever since he can remember and throughout his life no one believed him and thought he was crazy imagining things. Cal had never met or known anyone who had abilities like him till he went to Camp Wanagi, a special camp for those who have paranormal abilities.
At Camp Wanagi, Cal along with others learn more about their abilities and that everyone has different abilities and how to work together understanding and development.
I enjoyed the characters and fel
Leona
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** Being honest and upfront in my review, I received an ARC copy of this book from Lady Amber's PR.***

Cal has always felt like he doesn't fit in with his peers, that's he different...and alone. Until now. He's been accepted to Camp Wanagi which is a summer camp for people like him. People that can interact with spirits in one form or another. Sadly, for Cal, this has not been a pleasant experience in his current 14 years of life including the most recent encounter on the plane trip to France. T
Elli
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
There's two character's I ship and so far there's been blushing, and rescuing, and growing closer and emails exchanged. I'm gonna need them to become cannon in future books if I'm to have any chance of future happiness. ...more
Books
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES YES YESSS 🙌 Shade was everything I hoped it would be and more! I loved reading this so much!

Think of a young adult version of Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas 👌 for those who don't know the series basically a fun twist on "I see dead people" 🙈

Shade is the first year title for young adults who attend Camp Wanagi, a summer camp for those who see, feel, hear or experience spirits/ghosts and the undead in one way or the other 👻

The definite highlight for me is reading about different ways people experie
Alice Rachel
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!
It was a thrill from the beginning to the end, the characters complex, the story creepy. I loved it!
Debbie McQueen
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Camp Half-blood meets Supernatural

This was a really fun book Shade follows Cal at a summer camp for teens that can see/hear/feel ghosts and spirits. Cal always hated his ability to see the ghosts of murder victims. He grew up feeling alone and scared and rejected. Now, he's been selected for a special camp that trains and teaches kids who each have unique abilities and helps them learn how to use their talents to help the ghosts move on.
I love the unique and various ways that each character exp
S N
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will appeal to people who like a schoolyard vibe or a summer camp vibe with a magical twist. Percy Jackson comes to mind more than Harry Potter. It has lots of humor, teenage emotions, social tension and situations, and ghosts. A band of magical friends has to figure themselves, and the world, out, rather than so much focus on saving the world. But also not all the magical friends get what the protagonist is going through so he has a smaller, inner circle he shares things with.

The int
Tonja Drecker
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A haunting read packed with mystery, uncertainty, action and facing unexpected decisions.

Callum, aka Cal, sees ghosts of those who have been murdered since he was a little child. His parents have thrust him in therapy for years, but now, he finds himself invited to a camp in France, where supposedly people with his abilities learn not only to work with them, but hopefully, join a force of specialists who help spirits find a release to the other side. But the camp holds many more surprises, espec
Online Eccentric Librarian
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, urban-fantasy, ya

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

While I did not love Shade, it was a fun read that kept me invested to the end. The author looks to have had fun creating different ways the kids can see the ghosts/dead and the characters were interesting and nicely flawed/nuanced. But I can't say the plot was in any way believable and it did feel this was written for a younger teen rather than older.

Story: Cal can see ghosts - and it has haunted him his whole life b
Kelly Marie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I see dead people”….One of the best lines ever! In this case, Callum, doesn’t feel like this is the best thing to happen to him.
First, I love this book and can’t wait for the next installment. Second, Cal is such a relatable character, of course he would be if you could see dead people too…or can you? Third, the supporting characters and the world building are perfect!
This is a YA paranormal story. Cal is the main character and sees dead people. But he sees only those who have been murdered. T
Abigail
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
When first we meet fourteen-year-old Callum Silver, he is aboard a flight to France, trying to ignore the nausea-inducing stare of a spirit. He is bound for Camp Wanagi, a sort of training ground for youths who, like himself, are able to interact with the spirits of the dead.
Joyce's "Shade," book one in the Oracle of Senders series, is a fast, entertaining read, containing hints of Camp Half-Blood, yet also thoroughly unique. The characters are diverse, and I look forward to getting to know them
Shell Hunt
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok. A book about a school for paranormal investigators? Teenage Harry Potter without magic, but lots more ghosts? Sounds cool right? This book couldn't be more directed at me.
The first section starts on a plane and a boy named Callum is stressed because there's a ghost on board. The descriptions and character really caught my attention.
Then we're of the plane and we meet seven (maybe more, maybe less?) Characters going to the house school with Cal.
I find myself wondering "why?" To everything
C. Erani Kole
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from Lady Amber's PR*

I liked it! Psychics and camps are some of my absolute favorite things, so imagine my fangirling moment when I saw that this book combined both and set it up shop in France. I thought the beginning was a great hook to something mysterious and creepy (cause you know, dead people) and the ending really revived things and made me want to read the second book. The middle, oddly, wasn't my favorite. Cal isn't very social so wh
Annamarie
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is another new to me author. This book tells the story of a teenage boy wo is attending a summer camp for people who have special paranormal gifts.

Each of the ten new recruits have different gifts though some overlap, the main character Callum see’s the spirits of people who have been murdered. His parents thought he was scrazy and sent him to therapy but the Senders know different, they believe he has a gift that he sho
Denise
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time in reading this author with it sucking me in right away. Alot of that is due to the fact this is centered around a youth with that being different course for me to read which leads to refreshing. Liking paranormal and fantasy with reading them for many years it is getting harder and harder to find new ones that are not over done. Callum is also one that you latch onto wanting to see where he is going with all his burdens. Another interesting aspect on this one is the camp w ...more
Barbara Gartman
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shade is absolutely going on my favorites and I'd definitely read this over and over again lists. I wasn't expecting to be pulled into the story so quickly, but I was and I enjoyed every single minute. Shade is the kind of book you can lose yourself in very easily. There were times that I felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and other times where I found myself yelling at the characters. I love the complexity of each character and their parts in the story-line as it progressed. The att ...more
Sue Plant
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazing book

think harry potter

this is about a group of students who have the ability to see dead people...ghosts...and they try to get them to cross over

though they are students who have to learn their skills and its 10 weeks every year at a camp where they are taught their skills

very enjoyable book i can see this series being a fun one to read and follow

loved all the characters and learning how their skills were coming al
Ann
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this teen fantasy book that is the first in the Oracle of Senders series. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Callum Silver sees dead people and his family thinks he sick or crazy. He feels so alone. When he gets invited to a camp in France he jumps at the chance to get away. He soon discovers he is not alone with his "gift". This camp gathers teens like him and starts training them to use their gift for good. Teen readers will enjoy the meetings with the dead and I think ...more
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
I really enjoyed the book. I loved that it isn't a one size fits all type of paranormal. Each person has their own abilities and seem fairly unique to each person. Cal is intriguing and I really liked his growth throughout the book. Meander was probably my favorite secondary character with his love for reading and his standoffish attitude. Kornelia was my other favorite. Her gifts seem so interesting and I really hope we get to see more of her in the next book. This really was a well written eas ...more
Marie Pedrick
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well what can I say about this story other than I need the next one?! I loved this book and couldn’t put it down.
With a different way of looking at ghost stories this book has twists and turns following Cal on his first summer at camp Wanagi, a camp for those with usual talents run by the oracle of senders, a mysterious company no one has heard of until they’re invited to the summer camp.
Learn all about spirits along with Cal and his new friends.
This review was written on behalf of Amo’s book c
Aimee
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first story I have read by Canadian author Mere Joyce but it won't be the last. I really enjoyed Cal and his interactions with his fellow campers. I love how he interacts with Meander and how he has great compassion and understanding for those around him. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Oh and let's talk about this cover!! It is fantastic. I think it really fits with the story. More people need beautiful covers like this.

I'm going to go stalk...I mean follow, the author ev
United Indie Book Blog
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shade kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the book. The beginning seemed a tad slow but I’m thankful we got to know everyone and groups so we weren’t lost with the rest of the book. Cal can see ghosts and he goes to camp in order to learn more about his “gifts”. Shade is a YA paranormal ghost story, it’s unique and definitely kept me turning the pages. Joyce Mere’s writing is smooth, clear and I’m looking forward to more.
Review by Raychel
Cyrene Olson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A supernatural young adult book with lots of ghosts. Perfect for a chilly October read, I enjoyed this book. That I read it so slow because I didn’t want it to end. Think of Harry Potter meets Ghosts vibe. Of course this is only the first book in the Oracle of the senders series. I am crazy about being apart of this summer camp. I wish I could go. Counting the days until book two. This book is a big five stars from me I highly recommend this.
Reviewed by Jennifer
Tammy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a YA version of Supernatural with a Hogwarts feel. It may not have the humor of Supernatural but it still put me in mind of it. Cal and his Shade group are just discovering what their powers can really do in regards to the paranormal. Their final was to release a ghost using their abilities. Story was a mixture of slow and fast-paced action. I liked that the group had their own unique ability. Looking forward to Book 2.
Diana Ault
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story and am looking forward to book two. The story is slow-ish, but not boring. It was pleasant, getting to know the characters and their situations. The ghosts were creepy but not super-duper scary (which is perfect for me). There is a lot to look forward to as the series continues; questions opened up in this book, and a budding relationship unfurling. ;)
Caitlin
Overall the book was okay. I was expecting it to be more suspenseful after reading the summary & going by the book cover.
I really wanted to like it. I thought the story concept was interesting & enjoy fantasy but it was just okay for me.

• The Orphans (Dead Things #1.1)
  • The Swamp Witch (Dead Things #1.2)
  • The Ritual (Dead Things #1.3)
  • Little Darlings
  • Top Secret
  • The Red Labyrinth
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Say Something
  • Ancient Rome: A History From Beginning to End
  • The Other Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #15)
  • Wolf Girl (Wolf Girl, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer #1)
  • Dark Alpha's Caress (Reaper #10)
  • Lovesong Part II (Green Creek, #3.6)
  • A Dance with Dragons 2: After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5, Part 2 of 2)
  • A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5, Part 1 of 2)
  • Revealed (House of Night, #11)
Mere Joyce lives in Ontario, Canada. As both a writer and a librarian, she understands the importance of reading, and the impact the right story can have. She is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, and holds a Masters of Library and Information Science from the University of Western Ontario. ...more

News & Interviews