Start by marking “To Kill a Kingdom” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  49,473 ratings  ·  9,216 reviews
Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Pr ...more
Audible Audio
Published March 6th 2018 by Audible Studios

·  49,473 ratings  ·  9,216 reviews

Start your review of To Kill a Kingdom
Emily May
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2018
Meet our two main characters--
Lira: In one move, I plunge my fist into the prince’s chest and pull out his heart.

Elian: Technically, I’m a murderer, but I like to think that’s one of my better qualities.

That should give you a sense of what to expect. To Kill a Kingdom is a pretty dark fantasy for YA and it tells a compelling, vicious story without falling into all the usual tropes. I was pleasantly surprised.

Lira is a siren princess, daughter of the Sea Queen, and known amongst humans as Princes
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh.

I am just sitting here in shock and full of feels and alskfjal;skdjfa;lksjf GO ORDER THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. How am I supposed to write a coherent review? Gah!

Okay *breathes*

So if you haven't seen the description, this is somewhat of a little mermaid retelling, except it has a totally unique spin, pulling in other folklore as well! (Hint: Midas!)

Lira is a siren known as the 'Prince's Bane' - and she's infamous for killing princes. Yep, that's what she does. She rips out the
chai ♡
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where would I be, as a person and in society, without the enemies-to-lovers trope where two people, who are actual literal enemies fighting on opposite sides of a conflict and who can hold their own against each other and even in their hatred have a begrudging respect for the other, come together on equal ground and slowly realize that they have more in common than they’d first thought, they don’t instantly get along but bicker and deny and fight their way into a tentative friendship that is bor ...more
Katerina
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, seductive and oh so beautiful.

Dark as a stormy night.
Seductive as the call of a siren.
Beautiful like the bluest sea.
I marvel at how wonderful most of the 2018 YA releases have been. Even though the time I dedicate to reading is far less than what my heart desires (thank you adult life, really), discovering books that sing their melodies to my soul and enchant me to oblivion is a fair compensation. Reading To Kill a Kingdom was last week's highlight. A blessing. It was a retelling of the Li
emma
This review was discussed on the Hey Good Bookin' podcast! I have never felt cooler.

------

I am proposing a new law: Books that are not good should not be allowed to have really good opening lines. Because then I open them in Barnes & Noble and am like “wow I should buy this” and then I do (except not immediately because I don’t have B&N levels of money honey) and then I’m disappointed and I hate it and it’s honestly bad for all of us.

This law is for the good of the people, you know?

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”You are a little heartless today, aren’t you?”
“Never,” I say. “There are seventeen under my bed.”

I asked for a blood thirsty, dark and twisted siren that lures princes and collects their still warm and dripping hearts. And I wanted a strong human prince that hunts wicked sirens and sea witches for sport. Well, I guess “To Kill a Kingdom” did a great job at delivering all this and even more. ;-P

”Technically, I’m a murderer, but I like to think that’s one of my better qualities.”

I went into thi
Melanie

ARC provided by Macmillan in exchange for an honest review.

“I’ve made a mistake. It started with a prince, as most stories do. Once I felt the thrum of his heart beneath my fingers, I couldn’t forget it.”

You all, I buddy read this with FOUR of my closest book friends, and we all five starred this amazing story. Please, go treat yourself and preorder this book. Please. Do you like killer sirens? Angsty romance? A+ witty banter? Vivid fighting scenes with mind-blowing imagery? One of t
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I HAVE A HEART for every year I’ve been alive.

There are seventeen hidden in the sand of my bedroom. Every so often, I claw through the shingle, just to check they’re still there. Buried deep and bloody. I count each of them, so I can be sure none were stolen in the night. It’s not such an odd fear to have. Hearts are power, and if there’s one thing my kind craves more than the ocean, it’s power.

*insert drooling face here* I can't help it. I'm a wee bit bloodthirsty and I love these types of
Warda
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m disappointed with how mediocre this was. It’s described as a dark and romantic story.
It was dark at the beginning, then turned into mush. By the way our main characters were introduced, I was expecting some straight-up nastiness and bravado. False advertisement that was because that’s not the tone the story carried on with (but I didn’t mind this too much since there was some introspection our characters were going through).
And the romance was...lacklustre. I mean, did it have to be there?
Cristina Monica
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Daughter of the Pirate King
A bewitchingly dark retelling of The Little Mermaid.

In which both the siren princess and human prince want to cut each other’s throats if that’s the last thing they do.

Lovely. My newfound love of dark fairytale retellings—caused by Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook—propelled me to read this book.

How could I ever go back to the innocent Disney tales I read as a child that would make me dream of a boundless future? This is atmospheric to the point that I felt Lira and Elian’s hate for each
Maria
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.7/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

This is a very hyped up book. You all know it. You all did it. Everyone is reading it and I just couldn't resist. Fantasy is not the genre I prefer but a book about mythology and sirens and pirates is right up my alley. I truly enjoyed this book, it was a very strong debut novel, but it contained its faults.

C.G. Drews
Everything about this book was a salty swashbuckling GLORY and I loved it. I'm alllll here for pirates and sirens and (dark) Little Mermaid retellings, and this just delivered omg. Plus it was super funny, and if there's something my dark little heart beats faster for: it's people who sass each other to death so lovingly.

(Also, claim to fame 😂, I have been a beta-reader for Allie in the past, so I kneeeew I'd love this and ajfdksald her writing is a masterpiece.)

+ The characters just stole the s
Cindy Pham
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for a simple yet solid standalone fantasy YA. I devoured this book so quickly and it's the first time I loved reading the enemies-to-lovers trope, because the main characters, their development, their inner fears, and their banter with each other were all done so naturally well. Both protagonists were truly lethal that I wanted to fly through the book just to see how they could possibly even like each other. It’s also fun to see all the different places they went to and how the kingdom ...more
jessica
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh man. this is soooo dark. apparently everything disney taught me about the little mermaid is so very wrong! and honestly, i really dont mind.

this retelling is quite gripping. i sped through it because i was dying to know how everything was going to play out. the only drawback i experienced was i didnt like lira. i mean, who knew it could be so difficult to relate to cold, heartless sea witch?? lol. but all the top notch banter and sarcasm definitely made up for it!

High Lady of The Night Court
Two kingdoms that come with responsibilities we each have trouble bearing. Him, the shackles of being pinned to one land and one life. Me, trapped in the confines of my mother’s murderous legacy. And the ocean, calling out to us both. A song of freedom and longing.

I LOVE IT.
Reading this book was an amazing experience, I absolutely flew through it. To me this book doesn’t feel like a standalone because I have grown to care for these characters impossibly fast, and I will miss them dearly. Th
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 5/5

I LOVED THIS BOOK!! Is it weird that I am obssessed with the two main characters? They're fkn murderers! I don't think that's ever happened before.

It's not my style to include synopsis in my reviews, but I'll make an exception just this once because I really want others to read it. We got two POVs in this story: The first is from a siren princess that kills human princes. The second one is from a human prince that kills sirens. Their paths cross and...you'll have to find out the rest
Sana
remember when i said this book was good?? well it is, but you know what, the more i think about it, the more i've realized that the ending was anticlimatic as fuck and Lira and Elian's relationship can choke on balls the size of my pEn!!!!

i guess i really hyped this up and ended up giving it 4 stars in a rush because i was really enjoying it in the moment, but once the ending came and i actually used my brain to think about it, i was like hMmMmMmMmmmm NO THIS IS KIND OF A PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

LET'S
Angelica
You guys! Go read this book! It was so good. Like, sooooo good and I just finished reading it like ten minutes ago and I'm dying right now. And AAAAAAAHHHHHH, I literally can't even! Seriously though. UUUGGHHHH!!!

But anyway, now that I got my incoherent rambling out of the way, let's talk about this book and the fact that I loved it.

This here isn't your typical Little Mermaid retelling. There's no sweet princess with romantic ideas about the human world. No innocent prince looking for love.

Inst
Sabrina
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: almost-favorites
“His face makes no difference.” I drop her hand. “It’s his heart I’m after.”
“So many hearts.” Her voice is angelic. “You’ll soon run out of room to bury them all.”
I lick my lips. “Maybe,” I say. “But a princess must have her prince.”

This book is so unique and fun to read.
SIRENS 🧜‍♀️ and PIRATES, just how freaking awesome is that?!?
I have an unhealthy obsession with sirens and pirates 🤪

Lira and Elian are awesome, funny, sarcastic, intelligent and badass. I love the dynamic that they have and
Lily ☁️
You can now find my full review here!

I finished reading this very hyped book—and I wasn’t crippled by disappointment? To quote May: “omg, lily liking a popular book?? is the world still spinning??” It may have stopped for a second, or two.

But, in all seriousness, To Kill a Kingdom is brilliant.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not perfect by all means; in fact, I found the initial chapters that introduce us to the world of sirens, mermaids, and the Sea, as well as the world above water with its vario
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US TIDAY 12/29/18

Pretty damn good peeps!

Mel 🖤
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

2.7 STARS

I honestly don't know where to begin. This book disappointed me very much and it's not like I had high expectations before reading it, in fact my expectations before reading it were pretty low because I didn't know what to expect and I just wanted to read it. I thought that at least this would be a 3 star read for me but nope, that didn't happen or maybe this book just isn't a cup of my tea.

To be honest, I rarely read books about sirens or pirates and I don't know
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
2.5⭐️

This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 but for some reason I still went in with some doubts, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised -for the most part-.

If I could sum this up in one word it’d be - fun. That’s it, it was a fun and engaging read that had its ups as well as downs.
It would’ve also been a sold 4-star read had it not been for the unnecessary, far fetched romance that completely ruined the entire narrative for me.

Starting off with what I liked:

✨The sirens:

Damn,
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Let me say, first and foremost, that I am such a total sucker for books revolving around the ocean, whether it involves pirates, mermaids, sirens, sea creatures, or any mix of those things. When I first heard about this story of a vicious siren chasing down a pirate prince who slays her kind, it skyrocketed to the top of my list of most anticipated releases for 2018. I had every gut feeling in the world that I was going to positively adore this novel, and as you’ll see in my review, I was not di ...more
theburqaavenger➹
A pirate prince who wears eyeliner O H M Y G O O D N E S S
#sorrynotsorry.

In all seriousness To Kill a Kingdom is brilliant. Yes it does feel like a debut at times but THAT is what forced me appreciate all the others aspects of this book. It was dark (i like), it was funny (i love), it was enemies to lovers (my heart), it has bromance (kill me now), it has amazing banter (gah!), it has a whole pirate crew (*dreamy sighs*), it has sirens (seriously) and it has Elian (my husband) who is also a p
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
4 “An awesome debut novel” Stars
”Pirates are liars by trade and royals are liars by blood.”

This is a fantasy novel in I had a blast while reading it, it was such a fun experience. And recently this has been a struggle since I am shifting my reading preferences towards the contemporary genre. I was so scared to be let down by this book, and I can gladly now say, I was not. The hype surrounding this book is crazy, but it honestly deserves it.

An adventure with my lovely Monty. I was trash and
alana ♡
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling, fantasy

Rating: 5/5 stars

Sirens. Princes. Betrayals. Oh my!

Have you ever read book before that you could describe as delicious? Because that is the first word that comes to mind when I think about this book. From the very first page until the very last I was hooked.

First of all, if you give me any type of Little Mermaid retelling it's pretty much guaranteed that I will be on board with it. But pair it wi

Arini
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st Read: 4 Stars
2nd Read: 3.5 Stars

Honestly, it should be a crime that siren/pirate esque books with as much (if not more) badassery as this one are terribly hard to come by. I need moreee of them in my life! That being said, this book is MARVELOUS. But my reread this time has also brought a couple things into perspective.

Nadhira Satria
Buddy read with bitter✨

no one is more disappointed as I am...

I was hoping for some amazing shit but tbh IT WAS BORING????
LIKE IT WAS GOOD BUT IT WAS BORING?? THE PLOT IS WOW BUT THE EXECUTION IS MEH
God it was so boring. starting from page 100 something sweet lord I'm SO DISAPPOINTED. OVERALL IT WAS MEH
WOW I HATE READING IM DONE I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS FUCK.

ok fine it's boring but I still want to hop on Elian like a pogostick.
may ❀
this is my first proper review in forever yikes

I am screaming into the void right now bc lately I’ve only been able to compulsively reread old favs and when I don’t I spend 16 years on A SINGLE BOOK

But damn, this book was so bingeable I literally couldn’t stop (this is my form of apologizing to myself for staying up till 2am reading and ruining the next day)

Just to tell you how much I loved this book, halfway through I stopped reading so I could make an aesthetic board bc someone gotta

Anways, po

• The Shadows Between Us
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
Alexandra Christo decided to write books when she was four and her teacher told her she couldn’t be a fairy. When she’s not busy making up stories, she can be found organising food crawls over London and binge-watching Korean dramas.

Alexandra has a BA in Creative Writing and currently lives in England with an abundance of cacti (because they’re the only plants she can keep alive).

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“Technically, I’m a murderer, but I like to think that’s one of my better qualities.” 234 likes
“In my heart, I’m as wild as the ocean that raised me.” 157 likes