Start by marking “The Ones That Got Away (The Fish Tales, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ones That Got Away (The Fish Tales, #4)

The Ones That Got Away

(The Fish Tales #4)

Plenty of fish in the sea. But none like the ones that got away.

Author Suanne Laqueur gives her readers an intimate, guided tour of the award-winning novel, The Man I Love. From the embryonic chapters written over twenty years ago to scenes cut from the final draft, you’ll witness the crafting of an emotional journey and the evolution of the beloved characters within The F
Published March 9th 2018 (first published July 7th 2016)

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
*****4.75*****

The perfect ending to a wonderful series.

Can we please give a round of applause to our author Suanne Laqueur for giving the reading a front row seat to the creative process of the series! I enjoyed learning the way Suanne’s mind worked and how she created the characters. Everything was so informative. I’m sure other l authors have done this before but I haven’t seen it.

I am now going to share with you one my favorite parts of the book… Will and Lucky! Yasssss! We get to know them i
Elizabeth
"Breathe in what you need and let go of what you don't. Don't be afraid of a little emotional storm."
description

The Ones That Got Away is a masterpiece from the gifted Suanne Laqueur. The Fish Tales is an epic series that has captivated me from the first book The Man I Love . It is a love story. A tale of friendship and an homage to the family. Simply put, it is a true reflection of the beauty and the rough edges of life.

description

The Ones That Got Away offers an extensive look at the scenes that weren't included
Hulya Kara Yuksel
If you haven't read this amazing The Fish Tales series yet, please read them ASAP! 💕

And I don't know what can I say more about this talented lady but once again she left me speechless with this book. I read previous books a while ago but this book opened a new window inside my head. This book is about how she wrote "The Man I Love" and it was really amazing to get inside Mrs.Laqueur's mind. And my goodness, this was a really magicial experience for me... So for that I want to thank you Mrs.Laque
Emma Scott
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to Suanne's work in The Man I Love, and I wrote a review for it that referenced a favorite movie. It seems fitting then, after two collaborative enterprises, and a I've-known-you-all-my-life-even-if-it's-only-been-a-year-later kind of friendship, that the review for the last Fish Tales book must reference my all time favorite movie ever. Because art has the power to bring people together in amazing ways, and the connections forged by it can make family out of strangers.

I
*The Angry Reader*
When I first read TMIL I fell very much in love with Erik. So reading this book was like going to my boyfriend's house and having his mom show me old photos. Embarrassing. Silly. Endearing. And it made me love him even more. It's a recipe book with all the ingredients that made him so special.

(For those of you in love with Will he's there too. A lot of Will. His baby photos and that random prom pic with the mullet (Buddy?!?!?). Everyone is included - it's just that for me the charm of this book
Tracey (Life and Literature)
This was so, so good! I loved all the insights into how a story evolves and grows. How it starts out as one thing and ends up being something completely different. How hard the author works to give us the best story possible. And Will. Could he be any more perfect!
This series now holds its place firmly on my favourite reads of 2017.
Josiane
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love that Suanne shared with us the development of her characters and story. It's really treat to read scenes that ultimately didn't make the final cut or early version of scenes that were pivotal in the final draft.

A lot of it though is a massive character study. The main reason I love SLQR's books so much is because they're all about characters that are three dimensional and real. Getting to see how she develops and discovers them is truly a gift.
Terri Lee
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does one review a gift?
The Ones That Got Away is precisely that. A generous gift from one author to her fans who continually beg for more of Erik and Daisy.

This time MORE is a privileged peek behind the scenes at the process. Laqueur opens up dusty folders where Erik and Daisy were unformed embryo's swimming in a murky pool of characters. But they were destined to rise to the top and Laqueur brings us along on the journey as these two people we've grown to love over the course of three nov
Susan Jordan
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ones That Got Away is a generous and remarkable gift from Suanne Laqueur for her growing legion of followers who have read and loved “The Fish Tales.” It must be unusual for an author to share so much of herself with her readers. Not surprisingly, Laqueur does it as we expected: it’s satisfying and engrossing.

Unless you’ve read at least one of Laqueur’s novels (The Man I Love, Give Me Your Answer True, and Here to Stay) this book probably won’t mean much to you. I stumbled across the first b
Bozica
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This companion novel is an absolute must read for lovers of The Fish Tales Series like me.

The Man I Love blew me away last year, while GMYAT and HTS did exactly the same thing. This series will forever be on my favourites shelf and any opportunity to spend more to time with these characters is something I will never knock back. It's the reason I love reading - the story, the characters and the absolutely flawless writing of Ms Laqueur.

As the synopsis said this a behind the scenes look at how T
Naroba
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One may ask why it took me two entire weeks to read this book. When Suanne mentioned she was releasing this I was more than excited. She had already completely wowed me with Fish Tales.

What more could I get from it? What more could she give her readers in regards to Erik, Daisy, Will, and Lucky?
The answer is a WORLD MORE.

I don't exactly know what it is I expected when I began. I knew it was a deleted scenes of sorts. One of my favorite past times aside from reading is watching the extra mater
Karen
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ones That Got Away is not a continuation of Erik and Daisy’s story per se, but a trip through the amazing mind of Suanne Laqueur. She tells us the “how and why” of the “who, what, and when” of her Fish Tales. How her characters evolved from imagines in college to the strong characters of her 2014 polished publication. Deleted scenes and why they were deleted. Former names of characters and why they were changed. I truly enjoyed reading how the journey happened. Suanne has some delightful ins ...more
Amie Morgado- We Stole Your Book Boyfriend
This is AMAZING - not your typical book and so not your typical review !! This is exactly what the title says - a collection of so much we never would have read , so many things we never knew , so many vulnerable things , heartfelt , deemed not good enough by the author etc etc. Regardless of buying this or not it is a GIFT - to step inside an author's world and see all their secrets about an amazing series - WOW - I feel special !! Suanne decided to open herself up even more so than she has bef ...more
Jennie Simpson
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is a very different addition to a series and one that I was very excited to read when Suanne decided to make it available. The Fish Tales is one of my most beloved series. The story of Erik and Daisy is heart wrenchingly tragic and beautiful. To see the beginning and development of these characters and their epic love story was very special. I must say I was surprised to see just how much the final story differed from its early inception. Also included is deleted material, and most of my ...more
Ally
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"For people who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they will like."

I like this sort of thing. And I like a book you can read in any order, skimming and skipping around to the parts that interest you. No shame......I went straight to the Will and Lucky section. Hey, the author gave permission!!!!!

It was delicious. The author, or rather Will (he's like a real person to me) answered every question I had in my head. Every scene was perfect except there weren't enough of them. I thou
Maria
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a novel, it's a gift. It's a love letter to "Fish" fans. And it's really incredibly generous, I think. We think of authors sitting down at their computer with a cup of coffee and an idea. They crack their knuckles and type, "Chapter One... Call me Ishmael." Or whatever. Maybe some authors do that but Laqueur opens Pandora's box, opens her desk drawers and manila envelopes and lined notebooks and shows us, "Um, that's not me."

She describes this book as a guided tour and that's exactly
Bianca
As far as reading is concerned, 2015 was the year of Suanne Laqueur.

I stumbled upon Laqueur’s debut novel, The Man I Love, by accident, and I was completely and irreversibly under its spell. Laqueur wrote Give Me Your Answer True, a sequel that managed to crush my “I hate sequels, different pov- same story novels”. Suanne succeeded what very few managed before: to surprise and delight me with, what I thought was unlikely, a better novel, which only improved and added more layers and nuances to T
Romance Readers Retreat
This book is a peek behind the scenes of The Fish Tales series and the processes that happened which led to creating the characters, some which made the series and some which didn't.  Some scenes included are deleted ones that never made the final draft, some scenes are what Suanne Laqueur wrote quite a few years ago, before the series I have come to absolutely love took shape.

I have to say that I loved some parts of this book and others made me appreciative they didn't make the final edits of
sweetaalis
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I fell in love with Erik and Daisy and could not let them go. With this book I got more than I expected - more Erik and Daisy, more James and Will, .....and Suanne's complex thought processes.

When I started the book, I was not sure if it would be easy to read given that it comprises bits and pieces from the original novels but Suanne has made it very easy with her side comments and arrangement of the chapters.

I love Suanne's writing and if you love Erik, Daisy, Will, L
Priscilla Slone
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fish Tale series will forever be in the back of my mind. This series is one of my favorite series to date. All three of the books were pure perfection to me. Suanne pulled every emotion possible from me in her previous books. The Ones That Got Away is not a fourth book but more of a show and tell about how a book is "born". There is so much more to the entire process than I could ever had imagined. It is no easy feat to have these characters in your head and getting them down on paper, and j ...more
Marie-ségolène Charles
I'm kind of in denial this book is over. But I look forward to having it by my side when I read The Fish Tales again someday. Because I will stop and read the cut scene that was supposed to have been between these two chapters. Or I'll break away to read Will's POV of the situation. Or James' POV.

I loved this. Yes, it has a specific audience, but I'm in it. It was fantastic and I wish there were more.
Nikki LeClair
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently, there where two authors I had come across who had written novels that had left a mark on my heart; the Fish Tale series was one of them. I was able to read an early copy of The Ones That Got Away and I was so incredibly happy, and excited. It took me six days to read this book, and if life hadn't been in the way, I would have read it in two days, tops.
What can i possibly say, except that Suanne Laquer has done it yet again? An outstanding, heartbreaking, and gripping book that brings
Jen~KU Book Reviews
I adore Suanne Laqueur!!
Katerina
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dance-in-general
Another great gift. It was a beautiful trip and I am glad to have met Daisy and Erik. Two wonderful fictional characters that I closed deep in my heart and which left a great impression. I would like to think back to the emotional Christmas season 2017, thanks to this great story.

Thank you, Suanne.

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

Diana
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I heard that Susanne was putting out another book in The Fish Tale Series, I was more than thrilled! I dove in right away, and it was not what I was expecting at all, but in a very good way. ;)

The Ones that Got Away is a huge glimpse into Susanne's brilliant mind as she wrote the previous 3 books in The Fish Tales series, mainly focusing on The Man I Love and how it was born.

I love how from start to end, Susanne gives the reader commentary on the things that were cut out or the things tha
Namrata Ganti
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 Naqelle
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the fish tales series you will love this bonus book. It gives you an in depth detail on how the book came about and it had a whole lot extra of writing we have never seen. I loved it and would recommend all her books ❤❤❤ ...more
Hayling
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm done. I hate that I'm done. I keep swiping the Kindle looking for more pages. Is there more? Call me one of the obsessed ones, but I could read about these characters forever. I want to follow them into the nursing home.

What a gift. It really lends something to the quote from TMIL, "She's generous and forgiving in the dark." Suanne is so generous in giving us this behind-the-scenes look at her writing. And in the hilarious commentary sprinkled through it all, she's forgiving. I don't even kn
Angie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook
I have to admit I only bought this one for the scenes from Will's point of view (which were excellent) but I ended up reading everything. Devoured actually. I was fascinated with Laqueur's process for building a series. And I'm a sucker for deleted scenes in movies so I don't know why I thought reading them would be different but I was just as into it. If you're a fan of this series don't look this one over.
Divi
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ugghghghghghghgh.... I got nothing. I'll follow these characters to their deaths and then follow all their descendants forward and their ancestors backward.

This was wonderful. That's all I got right now.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Waiting for You (Losing Me Finding You, #1.5)
  • God's Eye (Northwomen Sagas, #1)
  • Finding Paradise (Paradise, #2)
  • Choices...
  • After Tomorrow (One Day Soon, #1.5)
  • Dying to Remember (The Station, #2)
  • SuperFoods HealthStyle: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health
  • Whipping Girl
  • My Masters' Nightmare Season 1, Ep. 10 "Stalked" (My Masters' Nightmare, #10)
  • The Ape That Understood the Universe: How the Mind and Culture Evolve
  • Nordic Lessons
  • Walls: A History of Civilization in Blood and Brick
  • Flower Moon
  • The Stalker: A Sons of Rome Prelude (Sons of Rome, #0.5)
  • As It Seems
  • April in Paris, 1921 (A Kiki Button Mystery, #1)
  • Something Worth Saving
  • From the Ground Up
A former professional dancer and teacher, Suanne Laqueur went from choreographing music to choreographing words. Her work has been described as "Therapy Fiction," "Emotionally Intelligent Romance" and "Contemporary Train Wreck."

Laqueur's novel An Exaltation of Larks was the Grand Prize winner in the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards. Her debut novel The Man I Love won a gold medal in the 2015 Readers' F

The Fish Tales (4 books)
  • The Man I Love (The Fish Tales, #1)
  • Give Me Your Answer True (The Fish Tales, #2)
  • Here to Stay (The Fish Tales, #3)