Start by marking “Straw” as Want to Read:
Straw

Straw

(Utensils)

Meet Straw!

He's always rushed straight to the finish. But when his speedy streak gets the best of him, it takes a friend to show Straw how to drink in the amazing world around him.

A companion to Spoon and Chopsticks, this delightful story celebrates the joys of taking it slow.
Published February 4th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Straw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straw

Start your review of Straw
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

”It’s strawesome!”

Straw always races through his drinks. He loves to be first! But brain freeze from an icy cold drink has him re-thinking his fast ways. Will he learn to savor treats like whipped cream and bubbles and super smooth shakes?

“There’s no need to drink it all in” in one big gulp. Slow down and enjoy the ride. A piece of advice we all need to hear every so often in this fast, fast moving world.

A sweet, straw-ific tale full of puns and joy and “glassmates." :)

Recommended read.

Chance Lee
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Straw is so cute and reminds me of so many kids -- and maybe myself. He wants to rush through things, but he learns to savor the moment and make the good things last. Sweet message.
Abby Johnson
A cute utensil-themed look at wanting to be first all the time, this is the concluding book in the utensil themed trilogy (Spoon and Chopsticks precede it) by the late Amy Krouse Rosenthal. In this book, a plastic straw prides himself on being first always until some friends take him aside and teach him that sometimes it's not about the destination but the journey. ...more
Andréa
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-owns, picture-books, arc
Note: I received an F&G of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Bonnie Grover
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book by the late Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the only reason I need to love this book. The lesson as learned through the eyes of a straw: Slow down and savor life. A message all of us need to remember.
Reading Relish
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is book is STRAWESOME!

Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s Utensils trilogy always has great morals at the end of the story. The first book, Spoon, teaches readers to not compare themselves to others, and notice the unique talents they THEMSELVES possess. Chopsticks centers around becoming independent and the power of friendship.

In the last book of the trilogy, the titular character Straw constantly strives to be the fastest, first, and best, which is something people of all ages can connect to. The stor
Meredith
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Straw learns that finishing first isn’t always best.

"Straw has a great thirst for being first ... It was just Straw's way."

The classic advice to stop and smell the roses and to savor the moment is repackaged as 'don’t drink your beverage as fast as possible.'

"Sometimes he still wants to be first. But most of the time, Straw wants to make the good things last."

The text contains a lot of great puns. Both the humor and the story will appeal to fans of Everyone Loves Bacon and Everyone Loves Cupca
Kirsti
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny, punny, imaginative story. Moral: Don't rush—savor. ...more
Edward Sullivan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Straw learns about the joys of taking it slow in this fun companion to Chopsticks and Spoon.
Mary
Feb 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was weird and made no sense. What does being a straw have to do with wanting to be first? It wasn't explained and it was confusing. Did not care for this at all. ...more
Heather Runnels
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Some books don't need to be written. Kudos to Scott Magoon for making it cute. ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Straw by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Scott Magoon. PICTURE BOOK. Disney, 2019. $17. 9781484749555

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Straw is determined to always be the first to finish. It isn’t until after a bad case of brain freeze that a twisty straw talks to him about the satisfaction of enjoying the moment and Straw also learns to slow down.

I’m not sure how many picture books Rosenthal left for us to discover, but I have enjoyed her legacy immensely.
Kirsti Call
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Meanwhile, over in the corner, one of his glasasmates could see that Straw was feeling love."

STRAW is yet another AMAZING book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Straw rushes through life as though it's a competition until he learns how to enjoy each moment.
Pam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Straw learns to relax and enjoy life rather than racing through everything to win. Charming illustrations show readers all sorts of straws and other objects.
Paula
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new picture book in the wordplay series by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrator Scott Magoon about kitchen items. The topic of this book is actually about a life issue very familiar to young children; being first in everything. Using many puns and inanimate objects, the story becomes more appealing. Straw is the one who wants to be done first of all his drinking buddies, kitchen utensils, and timing instruments. The ice cube is also slower than straw. That is until straw has his own massive ic ...more
Jana
Sadly, the author passed away in 2017, so every book that comes out is special. This cute picture book tells the story of straw, who likes to do everything fast and always be the first to finish. His attitude alienates the rest of his friends, until one day he's a little too fast. He learns that it's often best to slow down and savor life's experiences. As we have all had to slow down a bit during this coronavirus isolation period, this is good advice for all of us. It's important to enjoy the e ...more
Savannah Johnson
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is about learning how to take time and pride in the small things rather than making everything a race in time. I think it is a cute book that teaches children a lesson on enjoying every small moment. Once the straw realized that not everything is a race, he started to enjoy the smaller detailed things. This made him realize how much to enjoy in life even further! I also think the illustrations in this book are adorable and are pleasing to the eye. I rated this book a four star rating b ...more
Michelle
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliotherapy
Everyone who knows me knows I love, love love Amy Krouse Rosenthal books. When I discovered I missed one before her untimely death, I requested it immediately!

Straw rushes through life trying to get to the good part just ahead. Sound familiar? His cutlery buddies remind him - in the sweetest and gentlest way possible- to savor things and slow down.

This book is great for bibliotherapy or lesson starter! I am pretty sure, as a Type-A person myself, that I will be reaching for it again before too
Melissa Nikohl
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to this series. If you're looking for a book to teach figurative language, this book is the one for you!

Straw moves entirely too fast and misses all the little details around him. One day something happens that makes Straw slow down.

If you enjoyed Spoon and Chopsticks, you'll love Spoon!

Sadly the author Amy recently passed away and this is a posthumous release.
Diane
“Not everything’s a race, Straw. Some things are meant to be savored.”

Straw always wants to be first. And because of this, he misses out on some of the fun and beauty in his life. Who knew that straws could blow bubbles? “Beautiful glistening bubbles that floated up up up.”

Would work well as a read aloud for mindfulness.
Suebee
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I love AKR’s work and I am so glad they are publishing some of her pieces posthumously.

This is one of those books that, in my opinion, is best intended for older kids, fifth grade and up, or adults. The message of “slow down, and enjoy life” is lost on little kids. Although they will enjoy the page where Straw is plunged into a slushy and gets brain freeze!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute addition to Amy Rosenthal's whole series on kitchen utensils (and makes me sad since this is a posthumous publication). A cute message about taking time to live in the moment (though I was a bit perplexed on how Straw is always racing to "finish" these beverages when there isn't a person in sight to actually suck up the beverage...? Ah the joys of humanoid objects!). ...more
Steph
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any Krouse Rosenthal’s words “make the most of your time here” stick with me on a daily basis, so how absolutely perfect that this story wraps up the beloved Spoon/Chopsticks/Straw trio with a reminder not to rush.

Perfection. 💛
Anthony
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Straw has an urge to be first in everything that he does. Then one day in his quest to be first, he suffers brain freeze, and it takes the help of a friend to show him that being first all the time isn't what life is all about. ...more
Mary
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full of word play and puns, and encouragement to slow down enough to savor the good things around us. The third picture book in a trilogy of talking kitchen utensils. (See also Spoon, and Chopsticks.)
Mireille Messier
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like Spoon and Chopsticks, STRAW is perfection! A story about the joy of taking your time and smelling the roses, if you will. Some clever wordplay that never feels forced and is always on point. I loved this little Straw!
Bonnie
Sep 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
I cannot believe this was published.... I really don’t get it. It’s about a paper straw, that hangs out with other straws in a slushee then a milkshake then goes back in the straw container? I get the message but there are sooo many possible items to write this story about, why a straw?
Lisa D
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Gaby
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a joy to read one last book by the amazing AKR! My class loved “Spoon” and “Chopsticks”. They’ll be thrilled to read this one too!
Walker James
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Really makes you feeeeel like straw.

• Snail Crossing
  • The Box Turtle
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
  • No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Lift
  • When Grandma Gives You a Lemon Tree
  • Facts vs. Opinions vs. Robots
  • Be You!
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • Swim Swim Sink
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • In a Jar
  • Hurry Up!: A Book About Slowing Down
  • Jane Austen: Her Heart Did Whisper
  • My Best Friend
  • Stargazing

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o