Start by marking “Straw” as Want to Read:
Straw

Straw

Meet Straw!

He's always rushed straight to the finish. But when his speedy streak gets the best of him, it takes a friend to show Straw how to drink in the amazing world around him.

A companion to Spoon and Chopsticks, this delightful story celebrates the joys of taking it slow.
Published February 4th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Straw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straw

Start your review of Straw
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

Its strawesome!

Straw always races through his drinks. He loves to be first! But brain freeze from an icy cold drink has him re-thinking his fast ways. Will he learn to savor treats like whipped cream and bubbles and super smooth shakes?

Theres no need to drink it all in in one big gulp. Slow down and enjoy the ride. A piece of advice we all need to hear every so often in this fast, fast moving world.

A sweet, straw-ific tale full of puns and joy and glassmates." :)

Recommended read.

Chance Lee
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Straw is so cute and reminds me of so many kids -- and maybe myself. He wants to rush through things, but he learns to savor the moment and make the good things last. Sweet message.
Abby Johnson
A cute utensil-themed look at wanting to be first all the time, this is the concluding book in the utensil themed trilogy (Spoon and Chopsticks precede it) by the late Amy Krouse Rosenthal. In this book, a plastic straw prides himself on being first always until some friends take him aside and teach him that sometimes it's not about the destination but the journey.
Bonnie Grover
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book by the late Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the only reason I need to love this book. The lesson as learned through the eyes of a straw: Slow down and savor life. A message all of us need to remember.
Meredith
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Straw learns that finishing first isnt always best.

"Straw has a great thirst for being first ... It was just Straw's way."

The classic advice to stop and smell the roses and to savor the moment is repackaged as 'dont drink your beverage as fast as possible.'

"Sometimes he still wants to be first. But most of the time, Straw wants to make the good things last."

The text contains a lot of great puns. Both the humor and the story will appeal to fans of Everyone Loves Bacon and Everyone Loves Cupcake
Kirsti
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Funny, punny, imaginative story. Moral: Don't rushsavor. ...more
Kirsti Call
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
STRAW is yet another AMAZING book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Straw rushes through life as though it's a competition until he learns how to enjoy each moment.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Straw learns about the joys of taking it slow in this fun companion to Chopsticks and Spoon.
Mary
Feb 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was weird and made no sense. What does being a straw have to do with wanting to be first? It wasn't explained and it was confusing. Did not care for this at all.
Heather Runnels
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Some books don't need to be written. Kudos to Scott Magoon for making it cute.
Andréa
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books, arc, a-owns
Note: I received an F&G of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Straw by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Scott Magoon. PICTURE BOOK. Disney, 2019. $17. 9781484749555

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Straw is determined to always be the first to finish. It isnt until after a bad case of brain freeze that a twisty straw talks to him about the satisfaction of enjoying the moment and Straw also learns to slow down.

Im not sure how many picture books Rosenthal left for us to discover, but I have enjoyed her legacy immensely. I
Jana
Sadly, the author passed away in 2017, so every book that comes out is special. This cute picture book tells the story of straw, who likes to do everything fast and always be the first to finish. His attitude alienates the rest of his friends, until one day he's a little too fast. He learns that it's often best to slow down and savor life's experiences. As we have all had to slow down a bit during this coronavirus isolation period, this is good advice for all of us. It's important to enjoy the ...more
Melissa Nikohl
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to this series. If you're looking for a book to teach figurative language, this book is the one for you!

Straw moves entirely too fast and misses all the little details around him. One day something happens that makes Straw slow down.

If you enjoyed Spoon and Chopsticks, you'll love Spoon!

Sadly the author Amy recently passed away and this is a posthumous release.
Steph
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any Krouse Rosenthals words make the most of your time here stick with me on a daily basis, so how absolutely perfect that this story wraps up the beloved Spoon/Chopsticks/Straw trio with a reminder not to rush.

Perfection. 💛
Anthony
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Straw has an urge to be first in everything that he does. Then one day in his quest to be first, he suffers brain freeze, and it takes the help of a friend to show him that being first all the time isn't what life is all about.
Nancy
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: spring-2020
Who knew we needed a book about straws!
Jenn Adams
This was really good but I did get a little too excited going in because I remember loving Chopsticks. I did enjoy this one but not as much as that one. Would definitely read during a story time
Rebecca Ann
Just as cute and funny as the others in the series, I will definitely be reading this one at an upcoming family storytime. I love how it encourages kids to slow down and enjoy life!
Becky
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I mean, I get it... but it doesn't really knock my socks off.
Marcie
I feel so out of the loop not to have seen this. So many reviewers must get advance copies and I appreciate that. I love the message.
Pam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Straw learns to relax and enjoy life rather than racing through everything to win. Charming illustrations show readers all sorts of straws and other objects.
Gaby
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a joy to read one last book by the amazing AKR! My class loved Spoon and Chopsticks. Theyll be thrilled to read this one too! ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful story. Straw had to be first in everything, until one day the results were very uncomfortable for him. Fun illustrations.
Danielle Hammelef
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun and creative word play inside! The lesson of appreciating life's little things by slowing down is told through clever text, bright and adorable illustrations, and laugh-out-loud moments.
Lori
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Quirky and fun. Some things are meant to be savored.
Brian
Mar 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Horrible. Confusing.
Brindi Michele
I'm a fan of this little series, and this one is just as cute as the rest. Great moral with this one, too!
Alicia Evans
For: straw fans; readers looking for a book with puns and a moral about savoring life instead of rushing.

Possible red flags: being rude and bragging.
Walker James
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Really makes you feeeeel like straw.

• No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
  • In a Jar
  • Snail Crossing
  • Almost Time
  • Up On Bob
  • Swim Swim Sink
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Such a Good Boy
  • The Heart of a Whale
  • Ducks!
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • The Old Truck
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Black Is a Rainbow Color
  • Stop! Bot!
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • Dandelion's Dream
  • The Perfectly Perfect Wish

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something