Start by marking “Not-So-Brave Penguin” as Want to Read:
Not-So-Brave Penguin

Not-So-Brave Penguin

Posy the penguin is scared of many things - snowstorms, loud noises, the dark - but when her adventurous friend Percy is missing, Posy plucks up the courage to overcome her fears and goes on an excursion to find him. After an intrepid journey, Posy finds an injured Percy in a dark cave. She rescues him and brings him home, realising in the end just how brave she can really ...more
Published November 13th 2018 by QEB Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Not-So-Brave Penguin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not-So-Brave Penguin

Start your review of Not-So-Brave Penguin
PattyMacDotComma
“Percy thought it looked amazing!
Posy thought it looked scary.”

An iceberg would be both to me! This is a little picture book for little kids about little penguins in a big, unique, beautiful, - and scary – part of the world. Antarctica.

Percy loves excitement and sees fun everywhere, while Posy is a very timid little thing who is easily frightened. He slips and slides and swims. She stands and watches nervously.

Illustration of Percy splashing happily while Posy is scared to risk a bellyflop

Posy
Toni
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, children, parenting
Posy and Percy are best friends, but it does not mean they are the same. In fact, Percy is brave, while Posy is afraid of snowstorms, heights, loud noises and, above all, the dark. When Percy does not come back home after playing on an iceberg slippery slide, Posy knows something went wrong. She jumps into the sea, follows Percy’s footprints on the iceberg and enters a very scary cave just to find her friend. Percy, who is grateful for her help, tells her that she is the bravest penguin of all, ...more
Tatsuhiro Sato
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 🌟
The reason why I love to read children books is very simple, the lessons and message they carry with them about various things in life and that to in such a beautiful way.

This children book also carry one such a great thought :
"The real test of bravery comes when things are really hard and scary. Each of us have different set of fears which scares us making us feel we are no brave, but the true test of bravery comes when we despite our fears, conquer and do something unimaginable , here s
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group - QEB for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

This book is both adorable in story and illustrations, aswell as having an important message to it. It addresses feelings of being scared and showing what being brave really is. It's an important book for little readers as its very well written, easy to understand and definitely relatable to all ages and yes I mean us Adults aswell. It lets a child know that even if they are
Michelle
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Quarto Publishing Group - QEB and Netgalley for providing me the opportunity to readthis and give an honest review.

I really enjoyed The Not-So-Brave Penguin, by Steve Smallman. We follow Posy, an adorable penguin who isn't as adventurous as her friend, Percy. Percy, When Percy's daredevil ways lead him into trouble, it is Posy that helps him out!

This will be an excellent addition to any child's library as it has the potential to be read again and again. My daughter is 19 months old an
La Coccinelle
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children, arc
This is a cute story about a penguin named Posy who is scared of all sorts of things. She's a worrier. But when her friend Percy goes missing on a nearby iceberg, she has to face her fears and try to help him herself.

I like the story and the illustrations are really cute, but the grammar and punctuation in the writing leave something to be desired. It marred what could've been an excellent picture book.

I'm also not fond of the stuff at the end that tells parents and teachers how to talk to the k
Mel (Epic Reading)
My husband is obsessed with penguins. And so I had to check out this adorable penguin picture book.
We read it together and I gotta say that there are a lot of great things about Not-So-Brave-Penguin.
1) There are lots of emphasized, fun to say words that little kids will adore learning and saying.
2) The story puts a great spin on being afraid and how so long as you are brave when it counts (to save someone) then it's all okay.
3) It indicates that sometimes being brave can mean you get hurt. I
Nostalgia Reader
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Posy is a very anxious little penguin–she’s scared of all sorts of things and is very worried when her adventurous friend, Percy, goes missing on an iceberg. Will friendship win out over her fears and will she be able to save her friend?

A very cute story about overcoming your fears and being a good friend. Posey is a character that I can definitely see anxious kids feeling empathy towards in the beginning, and hopefully, also being able to learn from her actions at the end. She is also able to o
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about how to be brave when it matters. Posy is not daring. While Puffy goes and does things that are while, Posy is more laid back.

Not so brave penguin

But, in spite of all that, when she has to find courage, she does.

This is a cute story of finding your courage when it really matters.

And throwing in the aurora australis is kind of cool too.

The only problem I have with this book is that there is day and night. There is nothing wrong with day and night, but depending on where in Antarctica this s
Sarah Grace Grzy
This was just the cutest little book! I'm not ashamed to admit I still love reading good picture books from time to time, and this one was adorable! The illustrations were so whimsical and lively, and the story was fun, encouraging, and charming. The themes of fear and bravery were woven so well into the story. Percy and Posy Penguin are such precious little characters, and I think any child (or even adult!) can relate to them on some level. I will definitely be purchasing a hardcopy version of ...more
Ryan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhhhh. This simple story is cute and heartwarming. Two penguins, one who is game for anything, and one who is afraid of many things. But when necessary, one little penguin will find the courage she never knew she had. A wonderful and wonderfully illustrated story.
Janet
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Steff Pasciuti
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids, arcs, 2018
| Reader Fox Blog |

The Not-So-Brave Penguin, to put it simply, is quite adorable. Following a young penguin called Posy and her friend, Percy, the story sets the scene for a discussion about bravery and overcoming one's fears. While Percy is adventurous and loves taking all sorts of risks in the name of fun, Posy is timid and very anxious about all the activities her friend spends his time doing.

Heights are hard for Posy, she doesn't like sliding down the ice very fast like Percy does, and
Etienne
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story to talk about being scare and brave. A good adventure with penguins, a strong message and it can introduce a nice talk with your children afterward. Well done!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Not-So-Brave Penguin, is another cute addition to the Storytime series. It follows two penguins, Percy who is a bit of a daredevil and Posy who is quite frightened of pretty much everything. Heights are hard for Posy, she doesn't like sliding down the ice very fast like Percy does, she is afraid to jump into the water in case she belly flops, she doesn't like snowstorms and she is very, very scared of the dark. One day, when a new iceberg floats close to their home Percy goes out for an adve ...more
Wayne McCoy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Not-So-Brave Penguin' by Steve Smallman is a storybook about a little penguin who is afraid of a lot of things.

Percy and Posy are friends, but while Percy is brave, Posy is cautious. He slides down icy slopes while she scoots on her bottom. She doesn't like loud noises or the dark. One day, a huge iceberg shows up nearby, and Percy wants to investigate. Posy is scared and doesn't go, but when it starts to get dark and Percy isn't back, will Posy find the courage to help her friend?

It's a good s
Lana
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Posy and Percy are penguins that enjoy doing many of the same things, sort of. Posy would love to be more adventurous but she is just too afraid. She is afraid of snowstorms, icebergs, the dark, the list goes on and on. One day when Percy doesn’t come back from exploring an iceberg Posy has to be brave and go look for her friend.
Wonderfully illustrated! 5 star picture book.! Very cute!
Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for this advanced copy, my opinions are my own.
www.colecampf
Donna Maguire
This is a fun story that I can easily see becoming a firm favourite!
The images in the book are lovely and my daughter loved them.
The plot is great and I loved the ending too.
Four stars from me for this one - highly recommended!
Teresa Kander
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
I LOVE penguins, so I was thrilled to get to read this children's book. I am also happy to say that it is a terrific book.
The story is about two penguins: Percy is brave and adventurous, and Posy is not-so-brave, frightened by a number of things. When Percy goes to explore an iceberg near their island and doesn't return, Posy faces a dilemma: will she give in to her fear, or will she go find her friend?
The artwork for this book is adorable, and I also like the fact that certain words in the text
Melanie Dulaney
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid picture book purchase for caregivers and libraries serving children from preschool to grade 2. Artwork done by the author is cheerful and conveys the movement and emotions of penguin main characters Posy and Percy. The message of being brave in spite of fears is clear enough for small children to understand that there is nothing wrong with being afraid, but to be strong enough to act anyway. Author Steve Smallman includes great extension activities in the back matter, however I would skip ...more
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
A cute children’s book about bravery and what it is and what it isn’t. Bravery doesn’t always mean doing stunts and not being scared. It’s about putting yourself on the line for someone else, even though you don’t know how it’s going to turn out. A quick and fun cute read.

Received via Netgalley and reviewed of my own accord.
Daniel
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

The Not-So-Brave Penguin by Steve Smallman is an adorable little book. Who doesn't love penguins? And who can resist a not-so-brave penguin that steps up and does something brave?

Percy and Posy are young penguins. Percy is outgoing and adventurous while Posy is cautious and timid. Percy loves to slide down icy slopes on his bottom as fast as he can, but the idea is terrifying to Posy who also doesn't like loud noises or t
Storywraps
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Percy penguin and Posy penguin are very good friends but they couldn't be more different in their outlook on life. You see Percy is a self-proclaimed daredevil. He loves to whiz down snowy slopes on his tummy and jump off huge icebergs into the water to make a gigantic SPLASH!!! Anything goes when it comes to taking a risk and he is able to have a blast doing it.

Posy, on the other hand, is not so brave. She has anxiety and worry about many things like: shuffling down unfamiliar slopes (she slid
Emma
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Psusan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not-So-Brave Penguin is a delightful book by Steve Smallman. Posy learns that she can do whatever she has to do when the stakes are high. I read this story with my four-year old granddaughter. We enjoyed the font changes to emphasis and emulate certain words as well as the expressive colorful illustrations.

My granddaughter loved Percy, who was fearless and perhaps a bit reckless. She can be both too. As for me, Posy was my favorite. Perhaps that is because she is more like me. Her bravery despi
Becky B
Percy is bold and daring and likes to do things like jump into the water and slide down slopes on his tummy. Posy is much more cautious and afraid of lots of things. But when Percy doesn’t return from exploring the new iceberg in the area after a long time, Posy faces her fears and goes to look for Percy.

A cute story about a little penguin who cares enough for her friend to brave her own fears when they are in trouble. The illustrations are sweet and Posy's fears are very relatable for littles.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

The Not-So-Brave Penguin was a short read about overcoming your fears. Posy is scared of a lot of things, but her biggest fear is darkness. At night she imagines the worst possible scenarios, even though she is huddled against friends and family. Eventually the need to save her friend becomes more important
Shelf Empowered
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I received this e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are, of course, my own.

Posy the penguin is anxious and scared of many things – snowstorms, loud noises, and the dark to name a few. When her friend Percy goes missing, she musters up the courage to go out in search of her friend.

Little ones are sure to love this story and the accompanying illustrations. There is an activities/discussion page at the back for parents and caregivers, which is a nice addition.

I did
Brittany
4 Stars!

Posy the Penguin is scared of everything. Her best friend Percy is not - he likes to do all kinds of things and is very brave. Something happens one day to Percy- and its up to Posy to save the day. Can she overcome her fears and help her best friend?

This was such a cute read about being brave. I think the illustrations were perfect and the moral of this story is a great one. There are discussion questions included as well to help talk about the story. Totally recommend for young reader
Theediscerning
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A timid penguin is envious of her daredevil friend, until one day he doesn't return from his day's adventuring on a slowly passing iceberg. Can she build up enough pluck to help? This very young read looks very appealing, with a strong cute factor, and with fifty words a page max still gets a simple tale across well. No, the quick changes from day to night didn't completely convince this adult, but the target audience will find nothing to fault here. Four and a half stars.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dog Who Wanted to Fly
  • The Cave
  • Just Like You
  • You Can't Take an Elephant on the Bus
  • What Are You Doing, Benny?
  • Three Little Birds
  • Inky the Octopus
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • What Does A Princess Really Look Like?
  • Mine. Yours.
  • How to Survive on a Desert Island: Operation Robinson!
Steve Smallman lives in Staffordshire with his wife, two dogs and two cats. He has four children and a grandchild. Steve has been illustrating children’s books for almost 30 years and writing his own stories for slightly less. He also teaches illustration workshops in schools, including mural-painting. Steve is the author of Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater (Winner of the Sheffield Children's Book ...more

News & Interviews