Start by marking “Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide” as Want to Read:
Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide

Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide

In Microcosm’s DIY guide to zine-making, editors Bill Brent, Joe Biel, and a cast of contributors take you from the dreaming and scheming stages onto printing, publication and beyond! Covering all the bases for beginners, Make a Zine! hits on more advanced topics like Creative Commons licenses, legality, and sustainability. Says Feminist Review, “Make a Zine! is an inspiri ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Microcosm Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Make a Zine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make a Zine

Megan
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am SUPER inspired to make some zines now... this book was awesome. Simple and to the point!
Melissa
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Partially for the history of the movement, partially for the adorable and varied illustrations, and partially because it felt like a very large zine. I pretty much have a book crush on Microcosm Publishing. I'm also seriously considering the idea of making a zine of my own, to distribute locally. It's been on my mind and this really helped me gel a couple of ideas. Also, for those of you who hate phone calls: set a time limit make calls for that amount of time. That's fr ...more
Bob Hole
There’s a fair amount of good information in here, you just have to get past the the dated information. It was released in 1997 and it shows.

The mentions of computer technology and contact information are particularly out of date 20 years later, but if you can get past that to the things that will always be relevant like layout and similar concerns, it remains pretty good information.

There is a strong emphasis on printed zines, which goes with the date, but most of that info is still valid if yo
Amy
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to starting a zine.
I read this mainly to find out about copyright and distribution and this book gave me some really good tips. It also has a lot of online suggestions and further reading.
It is quite US-centric, which doesn't help me living in the UK, but if you live in the US it has some good recommendations for places to create and distribute zines.
Anna Goldberg
Despite being a new edition from 2017, this book reads pretty outdated. It also has much more of the author’s personal experience making zines than it offers real advice for making one of your own. I found the DIY Comix sections helpful, but not as much as McCloud’s “Understanding Comics.” If you’re looking to make a zine, you might want to look elsewhere for advice.
Rhys Morgan
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of zines before I went to a zine festival in Birmingham. Amazing lovely people and so I bought this book. I've go a couple of ideas which you might see me sharing on my blog thingy website rhysmorgan.net
Kerem Onan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
this is a beginners zine manual.. if you’re into “a” zine producing community, you wouldnt be needing this, you learn better on your own watching other people.

but i must say, list of everything useful at the end of the book is very necessary.
Skyler Boudreau
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has definitely peeked my interest in zines!
Jessica
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three words: read it twice!
Jonathan Spencer
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, americana
exciting, comforting, and informative
Lily
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A solid and thorough resource on all parts of zine making.
Amanda Oliver
Super helpful in learning about a unique form of self-publishing. Quirky comics and great examples made it a fun and informative read!
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Remember when self-publishing didn't mean having a blog? Remember when you spent time proofreading your random scraps of writing and rearranging clips, when you felt like you had time with your work instead of longing for the compulsive, furtive click of the "publish" button? In a time when ubiquitous technology is rapidly replacing print media as we’ve known it, spending six months on a themed booklet of your own musings might seem odd. Yet maybe it is exactly the return to simplicity that we n ...more
Kristin
Sep 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was looking for practical information and found...not that. The book is geared toward very specific subsets of the zine community: mostly those who write punk music zines or comic zines--and those who produce collaborative zines. There was almost no practical information about how to actually put a zine together--instead the focus was on working with printers and distributors once the content and layout were done. They simply recommended you go find particular books to read on the rest of the ...more
Nick Jagielski
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very useful information for people trying to do something creative (making a zine, in this case). It succeeds in dealing with some tricky aspects of zine-making, and answers some questions I've been wondering about for a while.

Having it by my side certainly helps, and the authors clearly know their stuffs (they're long-time zinesters themselves), although I did expect the book to be a bit more specific on the writing and design process, and less than the selling-zines side.
Beverly
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked this up for inspiration for the Girls Rock Camp zine workshop I was putting together. I learned a lot about the history of zines. For instance, the first real zines were made and circulated among wrestling and sci-fi enthusiasts in the 1920s. That's about the only new information in this book for me but it's full of resources. Not that you need a book to make a zine. On the other hand if you feel like it and you want a little push ...
Carly
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really great book of resources and information on how to make zines, particularly when I wasn't quite sure how to start. Most information in here covers pretty much any zine budget, and Anything I needed to know was either explained/introduced or a guide. Huge list of resources, stores, distros, zine libraries and events is in the back - which has been great for further reading.
Marian
Oct 05, 2013 added it
I'm so glad I picked up a copy of this book on amazon, because it is a great book at a great price! It is very informative and chock full of topics, tips, and ideas. If you have any interest in zines or self publishing, I think you will definitely find this book interesting.
Phoebe Macdonald
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very helpful but a bit bland.
Stephanie Meunier
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good for beginners and people dedicated to get better at zine making.
Nicole
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good overview/tips
Amy
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
summer project with the kiddo
Corey Marie
Jan 09, 2012
SmallFryB
Mar 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mr. Brent was involved in the Bay Area bisexual, BDSM, Black Leather Wings radical faerie, and pro-sex literary communities in the 1990s. He published The Black Book – one of the first queer and alternative sexuality directories – and edited or contributed to more than 30 erotic anthologies. Bill Brent, a prolific author of sex-positive literature and a member of San Francisco's alternative sexual ...more